Ghost Recon: Brokepoint

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
The latest blog post from Ubisoft sounds like they’re listening and are working on a separate immersive military version that mixes the loot system and makes the survival element more impactful. I think the community is 50/50 on survival but I’ve found games that have implemented survival mods breath new life with that alone

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Until this game gets interesting, I’ve created my own fanfic where I’m part of a group of Cobras assisting the inhabitants in undermining a competitor. My current presets are Scrap Iron, Firefly, Blue Shirt, Viper, and an incomplete Snow Serpent. I wish that Vasily torso wasn’t locked in multi cam because it would be perfect. Not enough stuff for Night Viper yet either.

When they release those new Wolf masks with the skull, I can finally make a Range Viper.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
When NSA and I were playing (me in the very first hours of play) I was complaining about the controls inside buildings. It still stands after 25hrs play time. I cannot seem to stroll around inside like Wildlands without pasting myself to every wall or piece of furniture. When I’m not ducking into cover behind the area rug and manage to walk a straight line the camera will go screwy, causing me to walk into something else. The sticky walls need to be toned down a bit. Then there are ladders... IDK, maybe I’m just a shitty player and somehow lost all of my experience with Wildlands in the week between last playing it and Breakpoint launch.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I guess what I'm getting at is nothing in this game feels as polished as Wildlands which is odd considering they had plenty of time to make it and it's the same damn engine. Don't you just port the controls, physics and weapon models over? Even the damn menus make me angry with their confusing layout leaving me wondering what the hell I should be doing when I do self motivate enough to turn the damn game on and who the hell decided a mouse cursor was the way to go?!? You guys just too lazy to make different systems between controller and mouse? I WANT TO LOVE THIS GAME.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah the inside movement is weird. I dont know if the setting where you 'stick' to cover is too high or what, but it doesn't feel natural. Thankfully you don't need to go inside too much.

I've abandoned most of my normal internal rules. I spawn a SUPERCOBURA and blast the ever living bejesus of everything from the air and then land and finish off the stragglers.

I dont like that you have to go back to a BIOVUAC to get a vehicle.. no more Pakatari dropping them off for you. So I fast travel a lot, but oh well.

It's fun.. it just could be so much better. I have zero desire to do any of the story missions.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Someone mentioned how they could fix this was to make it more like Metal Gear Ground Zeroes. That's dumb in that game had zero story and was a just kind of a proof of concept trainer. I don't think copying Metal Gear is what they should do and I keep seeing that suggested. Metal Gear is it's own thing. GR fans want a more grounded military experience. Metal Gear has a lot of insane stupid shit. Story just wouldn't work in a Tom Clancy world where there's such a thing as not throwing every idea against the wall like a 13 year old.

What I like about Ground Zeroes and is something no one has really attempted is to make an open world that is smaller, claustrophobic, and active. When they expanded to Phantom Pain, there wasn't a single base that was the scope of Camp Zero. It was a large active base despite not having anywhere near the number of soldiers and guards in a typical Breakpoint base. But it was claustrophobic. There were very few spots where you felt safe to plan your path. I guess there's a game in development where they are trying to mimic this with multiple small open worlds that are tactical zones, rather than making one large world, they're trying to make bases large and responsive. In Breakpoint, I can escape a base after accidentally alerting the guards, I can go 1 click away and infiltrate a base like nothing happened. In Metal Gear Phantom Pain, the entire region is on heightened alert, reacting to the slightest faux pas. You can't even use the delivery box fast travel system as it's assumed with heightened alert, they're not easily duped.

The controls really suck. I found the setting to lock out the photo mode and that alone helped immensely. I don't know how many times a stealth kill was F'd because that accidentally popped up. The faction missions take too much time if you clear out the original base that you just need intel from. So it pisses me off when I create the quickest and cleanest infiltration that requires one stressful stealth kill, and that photo mode pops up and causes it to wiff.
I don't bother moving bodies because it's impossible not to get seen. If you're going to make it as realistic as possible, give me the option to just drag the body. If it takes as long to pick up the body and walk it away fully exposed as it takes for me to finish my objective, it's worthless.

In my head, the biggest problem with the story is there's no connection to the outside world. I would have made those randomly abandoned skell tech buildings on mountain peaks places where you can successfully contact someone like Bowman where you give over limited intel from your perspective and they help organize a plan. Maybe make it timed, so you have like a 2 minutes before the Wolves catch up to you. The point is, if you have some connection to your military structure or to the CIA, etc., it will give you a sense of accomplishment. It also will help illustrate a gameplan for you to stay. There's no reason for you to stay because currently, there's no official mission directive. No one told you to continue to take down Sentinal. That's technically above Nomad's paygrade. As soon as he takes down Walker, which is more personal vendetta that happens to be a world changing event, there's no reason for him to continue to work with Skell without direct contact with his command. But let's make an action movie. That's what I liked about Wildlands. You had a mission, things change on the ground, but it isn't a "Save the World" and do super human things. You had a directive, you followed it.

I think the opening part of the story, could have been done better if they rearrange some pieces. First, since we didn't know who was responsible for the ship sinking, I would have left the door open for an independent terrorist group. We pretty much know from the outset that Walker and the Wolves are apart of Sentinal and are responsible. The only question is how much Skell is responsible. I also wouldn't have made it 4 choppers of Ghosts getting shot down. I would have made it 4 choppers of officials, investigators, etc. who are coming into assist Skell and Sentinel investigate, with about 6-8 Ghosts hidden within, with their own clear objective to make contact with the Homesteaders and operate in secret. It's strange to send 30 of the elite to investigate when typically, those guys aren't your investigators. They are capable of extracting intel, but in this instance, it feels like using a hammer to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Taking out every ghost at the beginning just feels like a cheap storyline. It's what they did in Retaliation. If Walker takes out 4 choppers of diplomats, state department officials, etc. and the ghosts undercover go down as well, he's just as much the villain as he was when he took out 30 ghosts.

The timeline doesn't help either. Staying encamped for a day when the storyline would dictate an immediate response within 48 hours on the part of the military just seems dumb. If you somehow could connect with your command, they could salvage the op through your actions and they could write in that they're not responding because you are capable of accomplishing their goals without killing a lot of civilians but you have a timeline in order to get things accomplished.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Agreed on pretty much all counts.

The world really doesn't feel alive at all. I suppose Wildlands was the same way, but it made more sense when you were dealing with a stupid ass Cartel. You had distinct provinces with different rules, aims and goals. Here.. man, you can literally shoot 5 guys, alert the base, and run 200M away and wait for a minute and the base goes back to normal like nothing even happened. Bodies are sitting there baking in the sun! You can do this over and over again to thin out the numbers, if you don't want to just sneak around killing everyone in the first place.

The patrol routes are bigger than Wildlands.. but still so slow and predictable that you can pick almost everyone off with little challenge. If you do mess up, and things go hot, the AI comes at you very stupidly, letting you engage them 1 on 1 most of the time anyway.

I don't know the best way to implement things, but there has to be a better way.

For the story.. yeah it makes no sense. The only real way it makes any kind of sense is if this all happens within like 48 hours of crashing. But that doesn't make sense with the actual time progression in game.. sun rises and sets and all that. Wildlands could be a vague amount of time since it was laid out so much better.

They really needed a good opening briefing explaining things better, and making you care about the objective somewhat. As it stands, I don't give a single fuck about the Skell employees, they're annoying most of the time and act afraid of me half the time.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The fact that they originally locked it behind a Raid and some other BS is just par for the course.

I am sure they had data showing that a lot of people used it, so they figured they could use it as incentive to get people doing "X".

Lame!

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’m just glad Ubi does not tend to abandon games. Though I never played it, they spent a good year fixing The Division, so I have faith Breakpoint will eventually end up as the game we want to play. They definitely found all our our breaking points with the turd they rolled it.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Lol.

I had the worst 2 minutes I’ve ever had in this game.

I was doing a faction mission where I rescue a scientist. After securing the intel, I expertly took out everyone before getting to the scientist. I took the only vehicle, a buggy, when all of a sudden it flips on its roof. I get out and the scientist makes it out but we’ve got choppers on us. I switch to the grenade launcher and take out both choppers. The second one, when it went down, turned, and launched like a heat seeking missile right at my scientist and blew him up.

I Couldn’t stop laughing.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
You are still playing this mess? I set it down and moved to a beautiful, heart pounding little game named Modern Warfare. Best campaign I’ve played this decade.

Let me know when they add a squad and neuter the looter shooter aspects so I can finish the campaign.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

New patch incoming...

Patch Notes Title Update 1.0.3

PATCH HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Fixed an issue that caused the drone to stop deploying on some occasions.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some players to respawn under the map.
  • Fixed an issue where changing fire rate while ADS deployed the drone.
  • Fixed an issue where L3GP night vision goggles blocked the weapon reticle while in third-person view.
  • Fixed an issue where the "Mission Completion" tutorial pop-up would display after every loading screen.
  • Improvements made to the issue where scopes would flicker when players ADS.
  • Ghost War:
    • Sniper weapons no longer one-shot while using the Rolling Thunder perk.
    • Fixes implemented to Ghost War stat tracking.
    • Ghost War stats are now display correctly in the loadout menus.
    • Shooting downed enemies will no longer trigger hit confirmations.
    • Added a cooldown to the Ping system to avoid spam.
  • Mission interaction is now prioritized over vehicle interaction.
  • Players can now do a camera shoulder swap while in cover. It will also rotate the main player on the spot.
  • Stamina:
    • Increased the base stamina by 66%.
    • Increased stamina re-gen speed by 75%.
    • Reduced the stamina consumed when sliding by 50%.
  • Fixed a bug where players could get stuck after using their ability or frags while Panther Class is equipped.
  • Realigned the angle of the panoramic night vision goggles to align better with the character's eyes.
More at the link.