Ghost Recon: Wildlands

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
WV / DC
nice NSA. I just picked it up the other day...haven't had a chance to play it yet. Me and my buddy both have it really looking forward to coop.

I wasn't crazy about the Beta because the driving felt too much like Far Cry, but the shooting and gun mechanics are what I'm looking forward to playing

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It took a little getting used to, but now I think the vehicle controls are fine. The helo's could use more work, can't really kill anything with their guns, but for transport they work well.

And I can hover pretty well to let PCS totally NOT kill the target below.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Sniping from choppers makes me sick.

Vehicle driving is fine after a day or so except the motorcycles suck. The problem with the choppers is you can't tell how fast you are going unless right on the ground, so you don't know if you need throttle or tilt.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I thought I recorded more but my Xbox Live recording space is almost full damn it.

Anyway a quick glimpse of using the new helos. It makes the game a lot of fun zooming around blasting the ever living fuck out of every Cartel member ;)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCBDtk0Hn_U[/ame]

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm watching "let's plays" of this, and I'm like, "Where the fuck is the aiming reticle?" and "How are you supposed to aim this fucking thing?"

Is that a retroactive patch, or is it only for the DLC and forward?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'm watching "let's plays" of this, and I'm like, "Where the fuck is the aiming reticle?" and "How are you supposed to aim this fucking thing?"

Is that a retroactive patch, or is it only for the DLC and forward?
Retro. They changed the controls to match up with most helicopter games where throttle controls altitude, stays where you leave it and you can strafe left or right with the stick. Before it was a damn mess where you could rarely have the guns pointed at the target unless it was level with you and you were just hovering. Shooting at a tilt was nearly impossible.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, it's retroactive. There was no aiming reticule either so you had no idea where your shots would really end up. It was such a crap shoot to try and hit anything it was almost comical.

It's 1000x better now, but yeah takes a little practice since you're using both triggers and both sticks to fly, plus a shoulder button to fire. It was definitely 'easier' before, but all you could do is fly basic flying.

I think it's similar now to GTAV flying controls, but it feels a little more floatey and forgiving. I like that they changed the feeling for the 3 types of helicopters.

Little Birds are super fast and agile, but most are weaponless or have miniguns. There are a few rocket variants but they only get rocket salvos.

Blackhawks are whales of the air, slowish and turn like boats, but are pretty stable. Get miniguns and lock-on rockets. Currently there is a bug where they unexpectedly flip when you land on an uneven surface. It's kind of annoying, but also comical.

Cobras are just bad-ass mother fuckers now. They're almost as fast and agile as a little bird, but get lock-on rockets AND there is a spot for a gunner who gets a minigun.

My only bad takeaway is this makes all other vehicles in the game unnecessary. There is no reason to use a HMMWV or other armored car when you can deal death from the air. There are a few areas that are covered in SAM zones, so I guess maybe there.. but you can avoid that most of the time.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The Blackhawk/Cobra rockets lock-on to any enemy occupied vehicles (Trunks, APCs, Helicopters, I assume boats). It's got the little lock-on noise too.. beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! You can also do free-fire, which is nice.

Had a couple issues with the Blackhawk last night.. they need to fix this bug.. but it has some funny moments..

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKh17F6s1-c[/ame]

I tried to get out and it flipped me UNDER the world.

Still a ton of fun though.

Also.. because of that bug, I ALWAYS switch to the passenger seat before getting out!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZigSTem6Y14[/ame]

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Got to admit, watching these vids has me wanting to get this game.
It hasn't to be my favorite military game ever. I mean, there are more exciting and movie like games out there, but this game is as real life as one could get with today's technology. I can't really think of anything I've wanted to do in this world that it doesn't allow. The attention to detail in this world is breathtaking no matter where you are at. Doesn't matter how remote or if you are never suppose to be there on a mission, it's still perfect. Nothing to break your suspension of disbelief except for some quirks in the vehicles.

If they were to make a sequel and have it take place in Montana where you were trying to take down a doomsday cult militia, I'm afraid I'd not leave the house for a month.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
If they were to make a sequel and have it take place in Montana where you were trying to take down a doomsday cult militia, I'm afraid I'd not leave the house for a month.
:trollface:

I sense a Far Cry V buyer! Though I don't know how open world that'll be, but I is excite too.

And yeah, it's really good. Definitely my GOTY, and one of my most played games ever at this point.

The story is somewhere between OK and Good, it's not overly "there" much, but there are some good moments. Since you can tackle it in almost any order, there isn't a ton of 'in game impact' of you taking down the various bosses. You get updated radio segments, and the Rebels talk about your victories, but the game is designed so you can replay the same missions multiple times (single player or co-op) without having to change much. Your CIA handler gives no fucks though, she's a cold bitch, and it's pretty awesome. I think she gets some of the best lines in the game.

The best part about the game is the "30 seconds of fun" (to take a phase from Halo) aka the Gameplay Loop. You'll do the same Gameplay Loop over and over and over (and over) throughout the course of the game, so if it's not THSUPER FUN, it'll get old and you'll move on. Thankfully they really mastered this one. The loop consists of:

(A) Find a location to assault. This could be a resource convoy, a military base, a Cartel Outpost, or a random drug deal on the side of the road.

(B) RECON! Scout out the area, use your binocs or drone, find a good position to assault from.

(C) ATTTTTTTTACK!

(D) Mop up and collect your rewards.

Lather, rinse, repeat. It's the same thing, 10000x, which sounds kind of boring.. but the beauty in it is that no assault goes the same way twice (I'm sure technically in the grand scheme of math it has, but typically it does not). The enemy AI isn't brilliant, but they'll flank you, call for reinforcements, use cover to their advantage/etc.

Also helping is the fact that you can assault things in a lot of different ways. You can go in guns blazing, you can snipe from a distance, you can drive through with someone on the minigun on your HMMWV, you can assault from the air, or HALO drop in to the base in the middle of the night and sneak out without firing a shot.

Side note, one of my favorite missions was one where you need to extract a HVT from a resort island crawling with bad guys. A friend and I landed our helo at the highest point, and then I silently made my way to the HVT while he provided directions to go to avoid the patrols. Made my way to the guy, grabbed him, and dragged him back to the waiting helo and extracted his ass. For the whole mission we fired 1 bullet, to take down the guy at our LZ. It was tense and fun, and not needed at all, but made it memorable.

Like PCS said, there isn't much in the game that you can't do (that you'd wan to do, you can't poop though). It is all based on general reality, there are no super powers. A headshot kills you or the bad guys. On harder difficulties you can only take a few hits before you get downed. The world is well designed, and while maybe not feeling as 'full' as a game like GTAV, it does a better job with 95% of the buildings being enter-able and open and full of stuff (beds, chairs, trash, etc). It does a fantastic job at representing a rural agrarian society. The different biomes are also really nice. Snowy andes, tropical forests, swamps, deserts, and everything in between. They all feel realistic and are realistically delineated.

All in all it's a ton of fun, the base game should take you around 80-100 hours to finish on its own. I've got to be somewhere around 240 hours in game at this point, which is insane. Rolling around the countryside and setting up ambushes and take down Cartel members is oddly soothing and satisfying after a long day at work. Co-op is the icing on the cake.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I think I spent the first 20hrs of play just exploring and blowing stuff up. Took me forever before I started doing official missions and I still only taken out 1 full branch on the tree.

Is Far Cry really as good as this game?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Far Cry previously has been decently different. It's first person, not 3rd person, and no squad.

But Wildlands kind of looks like an evolution of the Far Cry style (outposts and bases, 'marking' enemies, etc) with its own twists. I'm not sure what Far Cry V is going to be like yet, it's early next year I think. But there are White Christian Cultists to kill!

They need a proper Wildlands sequel set in Africa or maybe S.E. Asia. Africa would probably allow them to cover a lot of biome types again. Wonder if they'll have the balls to do a real country again, I remember Bolivia not being too happy at their representation this time around ^_^

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I watched a few videos and it looks like a stylized GR Wildlands that hopefully covers more territory than one map. Looks fun. Love the dog and the graphics are a notch higher (what a wonderful time to be a gamer). I think they need to tone down all the crazy bright markers over everyone's head because I find it cartoonish and distracting, but I understand they can't just ripoff Ubisoft. Definitely being presented as a more story driven game.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I watched a few videos and it looks like a stylized GR Wildlands that hopefully covers more territory than one map. Looks fun. Love the dog and the graphics are a notch higher (what a wonderful time to be a gamer). I think they need to tone down all the crazy bright markers over everyone's head because I find it cartoonish and distracting, but I understand they can't just ripoff Ubisoft. Definitely being presented as a more story driven game.
Far Cry is made by Ubisoft too ;)

I imagine you should be able to change some of the settings to make it display a little better. Though the Far Cry games have been different in the past, so who knows.

The Montana map looks like it should be decently big. With planes being usable, they got to give room to fly.

I wonder if it'll have a more standard single player type map, where you move from area to area in order, or if everything will be open and available from minute 1 like GR: Wildlands?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It worried me when it said it was centered around a town. GR has multiple towns in most provinces. I can handle a linear progression as long as they let you screw around in between and the story is strong enough to justify the loss of freedom.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It worried me when it said it was centered around a town. GR has multiple towns in most provinces. I can handle a linear progression as long as they let you screw around in between and the story is strong enough to justify the loss of freedom.
Yeah, did you play Far Cry 3 or 4 at all?

3 was on an island, actually a couple of islands, but they divided the area into territories (like provinces in GRW). 4 was in like.. Tibet or something, and there was a North/South split, with provinces inside each area. Neither of them were close to how YUGE Wildlands is, but they were decently sized. I expect Far Cry 5 to be even bigger. Since it's Montana it should only have one or two big towns, but lots of wilderness and small settlements maybe. Large farms/etc?

Mar 20, 2014
Leesburg, VA
Finally got this game after it was on sale for Xbox One.

Love it so far, more than the beta since they improved a bunch of stuff since, but I'm nowhere near 100%. Son was born a month ago and he of course has eaten up most of my time. Kinda glad I waited on this game.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
yeah, it's far and away my GOTY this year. So much fun and time invested. I wish they had more post-game content, but as it is its easily a 100+ hour ride.

I haven't had much gaming time lately, but I do enjoy popping in and killing some fools on occasion.