GOT Winter Has Cometh (and so have I)

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That was way too short!

So in true fashion just when you think everything has settled into a path for the greater good, they toss something in to undermine it. What does John do now that he know’s he is a cousin fucker?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't feel like thats all that out there for those people during this time.. though the Jamie/Cersei thing is kinda something you don't want to model.

Liked the episide, not sure why they waited so long to tell him though other than muh narrative.

Where was Phasma? I don't remember seeing her in Winterfel.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I felt they kinda jumped over how the guys on "the wall" were able to survive it's collapse. And they showed nothing of Castle Black or what happened to it. Last season we see the wall coming down, and the next thing we see from that area are the guys walking around that kid, Lord Umber's castle....or did I miss something?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The kid was featured in the beginning when Sansa was telling everyone to bring their men to Winterfell, and he said they needed Wagons and Horses.. so I guess he went back and got ganked.

It was kind of a mess with the wall, but it LOOKED like the breach part was near the ocean so maybe there was a decent amount of area for them to escape? The dead also didn't seem to be in any hurry crossing through, so any normal person should be able to escape.

Winterfell had gotten a raven that they'd breached the wall, so Castle Black must still be there, or at least was there long enough to report. This leads me to believe the breach was somewhere else.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I saw that part again last night, one of them did say they just left Castle Black...I still find it strange we didn't actually see any of that. Maybe they cut it due to time constraints, no biggie.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah it would have been nice, unless they plan to send someone else there so we get a good look at Castle black? Seems like it'd be a waste of time though since the dead are already south of it.

I have to imagine there will be a big battle in Winterfell, but there has to be more south of that too.. if the dead get all the way to Kings Landing (which would be good for story purposes) would Winterfell be lost? Abandoned maybe? I dunno. I can't see them beating the Night king at Winterfell.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Can the Night King raise people that have been dead for a long time? Are we going to get zombie Ned Stark?

Is Arya 18 in the show now? That girl thirsty.

Excellent episode except when John tells Daenerys who he is. Just didn’t feel right how they cut it short.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
So how are they related again? He's her nephew? Didn't watch tonight BTW if they explain that.
I’m confused, but I swear they said he is her brother’s son tonight. Surely not that twerp from season 1? Didn’t know Daenerys had any other siblings. So if true, that really makes a relationship off limits.

Confirmed
Last season, Bran's visions revealed that Jon Snow was actually the son of Lyanna Stark, not her brother Ned. In that case, his father is probably Rhaegar Targaryen — Dany's much older brother — who supposedly kidnapped Lyanna after she was betrothed to Robert Baratheon. ... If that's true, then Daenerys is Jon's aunt.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
Harrisboon...er, I mean "burg", PA
The whole Jon and Danny thing will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out. Danny is so frickin' obsessed with the throne... ain't gonna be pretty. With the impending potential death-by-walkers looming at the door, literally, she seems more concerned about Jon's rightful seat. Bit of mad king in her eyes.

And you just know we're going to see some of these main characters die throughout this war. My bet is on any of the men, with the exception of Jon. This series has been nothing but a female empowerment show from get-go. :rolleyes:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yes, Dany had like 3 or 4 other siblings who all died during Roberts Rebellion. Raegar (SP?) was one of them, he was a really good fighter/etc.. not a pussy like the brother we saw in Season 1.

So yeah, he is her nephew, she is his aunt, directly. But.. in the realm of GOT.. being at least not from the same exact mother/father seems like almost normal. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it'd be a huge issue, but who knows with those people.

I don't know who/how the Night King resurrects.. I don't know if we've seen him resurrect like.. ancient bones. If the bones are not even connected anymore can he still raise them? I know the dead they brought to Kings Landing was moving its arm after it was severed still.. but once you killed the head it all fell apart. If a body is buried and the head isn't connected (due to tissue rot) could you still raise it? I would say no, but it's MAGIC so I guess anything is game.

And yes.. everyone else makes a point to say how they're here fighting for humanity and Dany always talks about the damn throne.. makes her kind of unlikeable. Not sure who I'd want to see rule it all.. Jon maybe?

I really liked the episode, but I still feel like they could have milked out a whole other season if they wanted to. Compared to the first seasons, this feels like everything is on hyperspeed.. which is fine, I'm happy to see a conclusion.. but all those reunions would have been spread out over a whole season before I bet.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Compared to the first seasons, this feels like everything is on hyperspeed.. which is fine, I'm happy to see a conclusion.. but all those reunions would have been spread out over a whole season before I bet.
I think something in the middle would be preferable. The old pace was so painfully slow that you literally wouldn't see characters for seasons. They'd show back up and you've forgotten nearly everything about them and how they tied in to the story. They'd even do that with whole story lines. Detached by seasons.

But then, yeah, the pacing now feels like...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
True true.. something in the middle would be nice. I mean I am fine with this as its the climax and lets just do this.. but a part of me wonders if it wouldn't have been more impactful to have this kind of culminate over a little longer time.. we got like 5 giant moments all in 1 episode! Jizz!

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I thought the pace of ep2 was almost perfect. Maybe 5 or 10min longer to deal out to a few scenes is all I’d ask for. What sucks is they had to hyperspeed ep1 just to setup the ability to slow down and just focus on the peeps last night. We got an entire hour never leaving Winterfell covering a single night.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Seeing Arya naked was just....really weird.

And about the dead in Knight kings army, there seems to be as much consistency about how they can be destroyed as Walking Deads zombies. In the recent episode I seem to recall hearing someone ask if fire could hurt/destroy them....from what I remember when Dany came riding to Jon's rescue, dragon fire seemed to do a pretty good job of it. And in other scenes it seemed bashing their heads in took them out of action.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah supposedly Dragon glass kills them.. valeryian steel.. fire? I also think there are the risen dead and also.. wights? Or something? Slightly different? I don't really know. We'll see I guess.

And the actress for Arya is 22 now (!!) so.. whatever.. but she's always been a little girl so it just seemed odd. Good for her for getting some though.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
But is that the fault of the audience or the fault of the show-runners?

I see it both ways really..

I have to imagine the show did it because they knew it'd get people talking/etc as being so "risque" or whatever.

But, the character and actress ARE of age.. so why should they continue to be treated as kids/with kid gloves just because some people can't get over the fact that HUMANS AGE. The show has been on so long a damn child became a woman.. weird, sure, but it's life.

I dunno. She's been straight murdering people for a while now, so is sex really any better/different?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I was just unsure if the character was of age. It's not like GOT is good about conveying how much time has passed each season and it doesn't help that Maisey still looks 16. I mean, it's not like I would turn down Maisey if she offered.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I don’t know how they are going to top that episode intensity wise. How can the fight against Cersei be any better when the Targaryens have no army left? I’m a little disappointed it ended the way it did as I really thought Cersei would get a taste of the dead on her doorstep, but we should have guessed it would when all our heroes were beyond the point of escape. Arya is a bad bitch, glad they showed her scared for the first time since she was blind.

Amazing how GoT can continuously drop your jaw year after year and even upstage the most successful movie of all times on opening weekend.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I just can't believe the living won. Especially after Night king brought back all the Dothraki and Unsullied. And did anyone feel the lighting for the big battle was too dark? I literally couldn't see half of what was going on!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Spoilers.. obvy...

I thought it was good.. definitely better in the moment, and less so the more I stop and think about it. I really liked the revelation after the fact.. "Green eyes.. Brown eyes.... Blue eyes.. OHHHHHHH". The Red Witch was cool.

BIGGEST COMPLAINT. The HBO video compression was terribad. Holy shit the night scenes looked bad. I have a new TV that is decently calibrated and yikes. I'd be worth re-watching on Blu-ray just to see what they actually wanted it to look like.

2nd complaint.. again, as with all season, everything in hyperdrive. We're done with the whole "end of the world" threat after 1 battle? I get there has to be some battle to end it all.. but the damn Night King never even says a word! No exposition.. no explanation of his wants or plan.. just stabby stab stab. Prince who was promised? Is that Arya now? I dunno. As a thing, I enjoyed it. As a culmination of all these seasons of GOT I thought it was a bit of a let down. Ghost did nothing (is he still alive? Shoulda been riding on the dragon with Jon). No one of any importance was lost. Ser Friendzone will be missed I guess, but he's been in and out for a while now.

3 episodes left to finish Cersei? I guess next episode will be regrouping and heading down south, 5 will be the battle of Kings Landing, and 6 will be the aftermath/future of Westeros.

I dunno, I liked it, I was entertained, and I am still happy this is all finally just ending.. but I think you can clearly tell the writing/exposition has taken a big hit once they ran out of GRRM books to crib from. Season 1-3 were perfection, and then it kind of dipped after that.

I still think they have time to end the season well.. but I am not sure how.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Thank god I watched it on my well calibrated gaming tv since I was able to see everything, but yeah, the compression from streaming was hella blotchy.

This episode was 100% an in the moment, don't think about anything beyond the battle, holy shitballs hold onto your seat ride. Sure it had plot holes and such, but they just gave 80 of the 82 minutes to 1 damn battle. Has a movie ever done that before? That was more battle than most of the LOTR battles, if not all of them. They honestly had me believing in the last few minutes that they were going to toss the Targaryens and the Starks right out of the throne game. Would anybody be surprised? I mean look at the Red Wedding.

They didn't give us any breathers or comic relief that entire time which was rough on this old man's heart. Definitely a winding road ahead considering the North has no army and Cersei has a rather large one. Something political has to happen to turn her forces against each other.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
So yeah, that looked awful.

Watching last weeks ep and this weeks back to back would be cool.

I'm glad they spent so much time developing Arya into a badass. Showing her learn skills while also failing. Didn't just make her intasuperhero.

So red lady catches the trench on fire and everyone stands around playing with their wangs. Why not load up some flaming arrows, walk up to the other side of the trench and just start flame-arrowing them? The story could've continued exactly as it did, but it would've seemed a lot less nonsensical.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
They swarmed her dragon. Jon’s just disappears and I assumed at least one of them died, but you see a shot of both in the air for next weeks preview.

I just rewatched it and obviously it’s nowhere near as intense when you know how it ends (cough...Endgame...cough), but still great.

Stupid shit:

Dude with flaming sword standing next to the trenches while everyone is screaming to light it. He doesn’t light it.

Jon on wall with dragon. Doesn’t light it.

Why the heck didn’t the put a dragon on each of the front corners of the wall and just roast the shit out of anything crossing the trench?

If you were satisfied with the outcome of the battle at Helm’s Deep, then you can’t say shit about the outcome of Winterfell. Everybody dies in both battles except the heroes, women and children under stupid fantasy circumstances. Both are saved by magic/luck at the very last moment.

1556591671119.jpg

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The big difference between Helms Deep/LOTR and this is that the good guys in Helms Deep were not idiotic. They had a solid defense, and we're as prepared as they could get (and defended it from INSIDE the walls).

The big turn of events was Saruman using black powder/explosives, which at that time were a revolutionary new concept. The good guys could not have predicted or prepared for that (at least not really). So the good guys have to stage a fighting retreat until rescue arrives. It was 1000 time more epic.

In GOT the defense was all kinds of shit, it LOOKED cool at first, but they were all so idiotic that none of it mattered.

I get the idea was to bait the Night King into coming into the godswood so they could gank him.. but.. how exactly was that plan supposed to happen without everyone else dying (like they did)?

Why wouldn't you have the big catapults/etc BEHIND the defensive line? Why doesn't Dany wear ANY armor? An errant arrow would end her! What was Bran even doing playing Crow the whole time? Oof.

Clearly the writers/directors have no eye for tactics or strategy.

---

But.. as I was thinking about it, my biggest issue with the episode (WHILE ENTERTAINING) was that it totally short changed the BIG BAD we've been hearing about for 8 seasons. 8 seasons! 8 seasons of WINTER IS COMING, and it prematurely blew its load all over Winterfell.

It really feels like we needed a season between 7 and 8. Show the Night King and his army laying waste to the North, everyone is coming to Winterfell as a last bastion/last defense. You'd see the power and strength of the White Walkers and the Frost Dragon on full display (IN THE DAYTIME). You'd also have episodes down south where you see Cersei consolidating her power/etc. Maybe there is a decent sized battle at Winterfell, and things look bleak, and that's when Dany and her Army show up to beat off (giggity) the bad guys. It's only a slight reprieve as the full army of the dead is approaching from all sides.

Then you could go with the season we got now.. we'd have so much more time to appreciate how deadly this incoming threat is, and also really enjoy the victory once it is defeated. The North is decimated, but victorious.

As it stands right now, the Night King and his army destroyed 1 small village and then attacked Winterfell. Whoopity-doo. Thanks for walking for 8 seasons, buddy.