GOT Winter Has Cometh (and so have I)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Haven't they been plotting the course since S.3/S.4? I know Martin is supposed to be feeding them notes, but I think they've been doing most of the story. Boy, are people gonna be pissed if Martin doesn't keel over, finish the books and the ending fucking rocks.

It can always get worse, Eddie.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
No one really knows. Allegedly GRRM gave them notes and the ending.. but that was years ago and he's notorious for changing things (hence his books taking forever). I think they ran out of book around Season 5, maybe Season 6.

The plot beats have been fine/okay for season 5, 6, 7, but the dialog has been really down from the first 4 seasons.

The biggest issue I have with this season is just brushing aside all the things they built up over the series.

Meh. Lets just finish this bitch. I hope it ends on something epic at least.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
More of the same.

I.. enjoyed it, but the moment you stop to think about literally anything, it all falls apart.

They really needed at least a full season, if not a full other season, to get to where we are now and actually make it feel earned.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
It has to be a cash cow. I wonder why they decided to stop stretching it out. Maybe they weren't gaining new subscriptions to HBO. Maybe they had already ensnared every possible fan. Not making new cash, the show was starting to cost too much.

I don't know. Just weird to bail when it's clearly still extremely popular.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I read an article that stated the show creators said they wanted to end it and end it quick. They're supposed to be doing a new Star Wars trilogy and I bet they just wanted to be done with this ASAP to get some of that Disney money.

I think HBO would have been fine keeping it going. There is zero reason they needed to end it now, like this. It's a shame.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Spoiler

I didn't realize Grey worm/worm tongue whateverhisname, could just take it upon himself to start a slaughter. I mean, I get he was pissed off about Messandei, but I thought the Unsullied were all about following orders.

And dam, Dany went flip-mode...just so weird she decided to take it out on the people instead of climbing up Cersei's ass.

The fight between the Cleganes, I didn't buy it. I never got the sense that Hound really wanted to kill hid brother. I realize what was done to him probably fucked him up mentally, but he never really said at any point "I want to kill him".

Like NSA said, just seems like they're shoe-horning in a ton of stuff.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
so.. uh.. spoilers and stuff.

SPOILERS

I thought it was okay, like I said before, I have enjoyed almost all the episodes this season in the moment, first airing. If this was some random show, I'd think it was decent mindless fun. The issues come into play when you realize this isn't some random show, but Season 8 of a show that has been.. different for years.

I think most of the story beats were fine.. in theory.

Dany turning mad was telegraphed from the first season. Would it have been cool to have it NOT happen? Maybe, but we all want to see what Dragons can really do, so that was cool. The issue is none of it feels earned.. didn't they just save the entire world a couple of days ago? And now everything is shit and lets burn everyone alive? Whaaaat? I think he CHOICE of doing so was fine, and makes sense all things considered, but how she got there felt extremely rushed.

I read on some nerd site that it takes something like 150 days to march an army from Winterfell to Kings Landing. Somehow they made it in a couple of days? Flying by dragon I guess I can see. By boat? Maybe, whatever, strong winds? But they don't have freaking buses or trains here and most of the people were not on horseback.. so dumb. You literally could have had a whole season take place while they waited for the army to arrive (not that it ended up being needed anyway...). You could have used this time to show that she was increasingly going mad/crazy, so when the final turn happens it's not like "Bells, I HATE bells! Dracarys!"

Also.. they've completely stopped doing any kind of world building now, which was one of my favorite things about GOT. You'd see all these weird/cool places and see what everyday people were doing, and our heroes had to travel through these places that felt "real". Why didn't we get any scenes of the army traveling south? It'd have been great to see people cheering them on for beating the fucking Night King.. and people being sad when they realize their men they sent to fight are dead.. so much potential to show the state of Westeros.. but nope.. teleport for the finally battle. K BYE!

Jon Snow is seriously just written to be the biggest idiot, with a dumb shit look on his face 99% of the time. Like.. just do something already. We get it, you're a reluctant king.. but don't be so idiotic ALL of the time.

Regarding Grey Worm.. I think he decided to press the attack when he saw Dany start burning the city. Fine.. whatever.

Cleganebowl was.. okay. I didn't LOVE it, but I didn't really have anything wrong with it.

Arya's whole purpose in this episode was stupid. She had some damn fine plot armor on. She'll probably kill Dany next episode (yawn). Again, didn't she literally just save the whole world a couple of days ago?

The Dragon.. cool as all hell.. but.. WHAT? Literally LAST week we saw how useless dragons were, with the laser-fire ballistas wrecking Rhagael. Now an entire city AND fleet can't hit Drogon once? Ugh. The lack of consistency makes everything so frustrating. Like.. the ideas are fine.. but the on-screen execution is TERRIBLE. They should have shown that the dragon last week was very weak and slow after his battle with the ice dragon.. making it a much easier target for the ballistas. The fleet should have been well hidden or something.. not just sitting out there totally easily spotted.. but whatever. This week, they could have done something SUPER cool and shown Dany learned something from last week, and given the Dragon some armor.. make it a surprise, so you see the dragon flying around burninating things and then WHAM it gets hit, and you think that's that.. but SURPRISE, they installed some cool dragon armor on it and the ballista just bounces off and all the city army people know they're supremely fucked.

Cersei.. whatever. I don't like that the show tried to make her seem pitiful at the end.. like.. give her a better sendoff. She was completely wasted this season. Like, 100%.

Euron.. oh fuck off lol. He washed up on the beach at the exact time Jaime showed up? Nigga please. Character has been a joke since he was introduced though.

Jaime.. le sigh. Totally wasted character who ended up not even having an arc.. lets rush back to Cersei and die. KTHANKSBYE. So dumb. The weird emotional moment with Tyrian felt unearned too.

What else.. I thought the episode was shot very well, it was nice to look at.

I'll be there next week to see this all end, but man, what a waste of a great setup. I mostly enjoyed last season, even if it had a lot of the same issues, I guess I thought maybe they could rectify it this year.. but nope.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
This week, they could have done something SUPER cool and shown Dany learned something from last week, and given the Dragon some armor.. make it a surprise, so you see the dragon flying around burninating things and then WHAM it gets hit, and you think that's that.. but SURPRISE, they installed some cool dragon armor on it and the ballista just bounces off and all the city army people know they're supremely fucked.
They gave her actual dive bombing tactics by attacking out of the sun so the scorpions on the ships can't shoot accurately, so that's cool, but then they have no reasoning for why the ones on the wall can't seem to get a shot off. At least they tried? Which is false because you know they only had her come from the sun for it's cinematic effect.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
True.. I guess that was a slight improvement. She wrecked the fleet.. which is what I would have expected a dragon to do, just so dumb that they showed us literally LAST episode that the fleet was formidable. If that hadn't happened, I don't think I'd even care about the battle.. the dragon destroyed the crap out of everything (as one would hope). Why make this weird swerve where dragons are actually stupid and useless to try and fake us out? Ugh.

Just typical of this season though, no real thought to anything just get it over with.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's really starting to feel a lot like TWD. Just convenience writing, flipping the established rules whenever necessary. And this being the last season their "Eh, f$%& it." meter is pegged.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It definitely feels like a TWD type of thing. I mean, that happens to almost all shows, sadly, but it really felt like it fell off a cliff this season. Looking back, last season had a lot of these same kind of issues, but they were not as pronounced.. this being "IT" means everyone is going to remember this season based off how it ends.. and it does not seem like it will end "well" to most people, which is sad.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The memes for this are glorious though.

Yeah, I've read a couple of these and chuckled. Sounds like the spoilers are true, and the show will not be salvaged in the final episode.
If anyone at Lucasfilm had any sense, they'd be seriously looking at adding these two hacks' trilogy to the cancelled projects column.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Oh crap yes, the whole thing with Jamie and Cersie...just...ugh. Imminent death and Cersie turns unto a whimpering little bitch instead of being "Yeah, fuck you too!" middle fingers in the air. And they both buy it being buried under the castle? Jamie DID see her true side when she implied she was going to have the mountain kill him AND she outright lied about having their army support Jon/Dany....not to mention all the stuff he witnessed leading up to all this, yet he was still on-board with her?

However the moment between Jamie and Tyrion, that got me in the feels a little bit, I kinda liked it...but....was Jamie really as good to him when they were younger? It seemed like his entire family treated him like crap but then all the sudden Jamie had actually been nice to him AND helped him survive childhood? I dunno.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
GoT S 1-7 story - point A to point B

GoT S 8 story - point A point B

The "to" that's missing in S8 is desperately missed. The "road trip/adventure" story is almost as good if not better than the start and finish of a story.

It's really unfortunate that the last two seasons were cut short. Those additional 7 eps would've definitely helped.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Pretty "meh" ending. Wasn't mad or glad one way or another. I thought for sure it would be either Tyrion or Arya that would do Dany in. Surprised Drogon didn't incinerate Jon.

So what kind of army was there to protect Kings Landing/Bran? I assume the Dothraki left, and the Unsullied left for Naath...who was left?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The Knights of the Old Republic trilogy is gonna be so awesome!

Anyhoo, are those 3.75 Funko figures still available at brick and mortar, perchance? I saw them when TrU was still with us, but I now find myself in need of Ygritte for....reasons.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

I..... I have thoughts.

In no particular order.

I didn't hate it, I certainly didn't love it, but I'd say it was my 2nd favorite episode this season after Episode 2. It "FELT" like a classic Game of Thrones episode more than most, with being dialog heavy/etc.

My biggest thought is this should have been two episodes. 1 would have ended with Jon ganking Dany and Drogon flying off. The 2nd would have been all the fallout and resolutions. It would have given both story lines a little more room to breathe.

Bran the Broken as King? Meh. I guess it explains why he was doing fuck-all the rest of the episodes, he knew it'd play out the way he needed to to be King. If he intervened or told them what to do.. maybe he doesn't get it? I dunno. Him going from getting pushed out of the window all those years ago to being King.. fine, fine. In retrospect I wish they'd given him more to do over the series.. wasn't he completely absent for a season or two?

Sansa and the North.. also fine. She gets to be a Queen, North gets to do their own thing. Starks own the Kingdom AND the North, they really made out like bandits in this whole thing, all things considered. The direwolf crown was nice.

Arya? Meh. Felt pretty useless to be honest. She saved the whole damn world against the Night King and then just kinda wandered around. Should at least had her tossing away her kill list or something. Her heading off to adventure in the West is fine, I guess, whatever.

Jon going to the Wall? They filmed it as some sort of sad thing, but I was like "Dude, all his friends are up there, that's like a party!" and sure enough, they were, and it was. Even got to pet the damn dog. I have no idea why they framed it like it was a punishment or whatever. He didn't want to be King, I can see him being a little sad at killing Dany, but dude was not about that ass as soon as he found out it was his aunt.

Who else.. well, I legitimately LOVED the new Kings council or whatever.. Bron probably got the best fucking deal out of everyone in Westeros. Sam as the new Maister or whatever is cool, Brienne as the head of Kings guard is good. I did think what she wrote in the book for Jaime was dumb.

Tyrion.. He had some good chops in this episode and his speeches were good as well. I am still not a fan of how he made every single wrong decision mid-way through the series though. It's like he turned from a master tactician to an idiot once he met Dany. But whatever, his punishment being hand of the king seems fitting.

All in all I thought it was aggressively OK. One of the better episodes of the season for sure, this one was directed by D&D, so at least that bodes well for Star Wars I guess. The silence for the first 5 minutes was interesting.. and kind of hilarious. I wonder how many people thought their speakers were broken lol

In general I have been mostly fine with almost all the plot beats this season, they just really needed to have more episodes to make them feel earned and not rushed like they did, but it's all in the past now. At least now our watch has ended.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
My biggest thought is this should have been two episodes. 1 would have ended with Jon ganking Dany and Drogon flying off. The 2nd would have been all the fallout and resolutions. It would have given both story lines a little more room to breathe.
I was thinking the same. That they just skipped over what would've and should've been a major thing and an episode or two or even a whole season was a shame, but not a surprise. Again, "Ain't nobody got time fo dat!" He could've just said, "Uh, she flew away. Don't know why or where she went. *shrugs* In the meantime, I'm in charge." They all saw the dragon fly away and wouldn't be able to make out whether she was in a foot or on a back. No doubts would be given. Uch.

In general I have been mostly fine with almost all the plot beats this season, they just really needed to have more episodes to make them feel earned and not rushed like they did, but it's all in the past now. At least now our watch has ended.
But yeah, this. The story and the way it all worked out was fine, but with 7 seasons of GoT typical in depth development of story and character decisions, this felt painfully rushed. And it sent a HUGE message... "We want to be done with it. Deal with it."

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Took me a while to spot it but LOL oh man. I wonder how often that stuff happens in normal movies/tv shows but people aren't analyzing every frame?

And yes that was #1 on my list of things that didn't make sense.. Did Jon really up and confess that he murdered her even though no one saw it and all evidence literally flew away?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
With the melted throne he could've concocted any crazy story. He could've stabbed himself to explain the blood and said she freaked out when he told her he was the true heir/nephew (the people that knew the truth about her knowing long ago would've covered for his lie).

But yeah, yet again..."Ain't nobody got time fo dat!".