HeroQuest, Anyone?

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Here's a WIP/test on what might become a project. Love the game, even though I only ever played it a handful of times. Broke it out last night and ran the woman through the first quest, "The Trial". Fun times.

Last edited:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
The dio piece and figures look Killer! Forgive my ignorance but I'm not familiar with HeroQuest.. can you educate me?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Wasn't there a game back in the 1980's cartoon that was like an interactive cartoon where you pretty much died all the time and you just had to know what to do based on previous experience?

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Awesome. We're big Hero Quest fans here, I used to paint up my characters back in the day, lol.. Chaos Warrior was my fav.

For those that don't know, it was like a D&D miniatures game, but made into a semi-modular board game, where the rooms were there printed on the game board, but all the pieces were seperate, walls, doors, trap doors, tables, thrones, etc... Your characters were small miniatures looking Elf, Human, Dwarf, wizard, and you fought zombies, mummies, orcs and Goblins. There were some bigger ones, Chaos Warriors and Chaos Warlocks, they could cast spells.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Here's a WIP/test on what might become a project. Love the game, even though I only ever played it a handful of times. Broke it out last night and ran the woman through the first quest, "The Trial". Fun times.

Oh hell yes.

Hero Quest was great, loved the miniature bookcases and other scenery they had in the box.

Also what are those Skeletons from?

I always wanted to play this but never got it. I did get space crusade though. Way more fun than WH40K, imo.

Oh so much. Loved the event card artwork especially. And that cover:

Those and the Fighting Fantasy Books (think choose your own adventure books with dice) were gateway drugs into Games Workshop's stuff.

Last edited:

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I believe those skeletons are the ones sold at aC Moore with the other static 118th scale fantasy figures, animals, knights, and such. I have eyeballed them many times but never pulled the trigger. i now think I need to, they photograph well.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Awesome. We're big Hero Quest fans here, I used to paint up my characters back in the day, lol.. Chaos Warrior was my fav.

Very cool, JR. Yeah... I've been looking at a lot of the 3D HQ mods lately, which got me thinking about converting it to 1/18. How frickin' cool would that be?

I believe those skeletons are the ones sold at aC Moore with the other static 118th scale fantasy figures, animals, knights, and such. I have eyeballed them many times but never pulled the trigger. i now think I need to, they photograph well.

Yes, skeletons are from "Papo". Looking at the basic characters in HQ, I figured the "monsters" could be static while the Heroes could be the custom figs. Keep it simple, you know? With that idea, I've been looking at various brands and what they have available for the monsters. Papo has the most, while BBI has a few really good ones. Of course I'm going with the idea that the monsters would be supplemented with the Papo "Tiger-man", "Croc-man", etc, etc - as examples. Just have to make character cards for them, based on the HQ monster cards.

Could be one hell of a fun project. If anyone would like to contribute, like create some of the game set-pieces (treasure chest, table, chair, bookcase, etc), it would be MOST appreciated! Maybe printed cardstock, folded together... I don't know.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Neat Idea. A 1/18th gaming board would be HUGE. 100 square foot would be 5.5 foot. I guess a 4x8 sheet of plywood would give you a decent size playing surface. Still, once you start putting buildings and such on it, it'll fill up pretty quick.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Neat Idea. A 1/18th gaming board would be HUGE. 100 square foot would be 5.5 foot. I guess a 4x8 sheet of plywood would give you a decent size playing surface. Still, once you start putting buildings and such on it, it'll fill up pretty quick.

Pffft, should have been here when we were kicking around the numbers on the upper deck of a Generation 1 German flakturm.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
12'x12' if I recall correctly. One of those "money to burn" fantasy projects.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
I loved playing HeroQuest! So much potential with these trial shots. I'm all for a 1:18 scale version of the game.

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
Goddamn, I'm a huge HeroQuest fan! I never figured anyone would make it in a 1:18th scale, as that would be a huge-ass board! (At that scale, a board or room titles would require 3 or 4 times the normal playing area!)

For those who never played, the rules are really easy to track-down, and are printer-friendly. This includes the rulebooks, quest books, cards and gaming sheets - in U.S. and U.K. visions, as well as a number of customized rules. There are even applications that help folks make custom maps and cards. The rule are such, that they can be used with any map, miniature, and furniture, even if you have nothing of the original set. The rules are dirt-simple, and really easy to house-rule. If you are scrounging the game from nothing, the only odd thing you need are Combat Dice (a d6 with three sides for Skulls, two for White Shields and one for a Black Shield), so you'll have to make your own, or track-down a copy of BattleMasters or HeroScape (they all use the same combat mechanics - more or less). The game is really fun!

This is what my (heavily modified and scrounged together) set looks like:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nice work Obi. I like the idea of a narrow alley. Makes shooting a dio easier I'm sure with regards to backgrounds

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Well... I've been kicking 3 different ideas around. Overall size of the potential completed board, AND playability, are my main concerns. And just so you know, I up-scaled the 7/8" (just call it 1") tiles to 4". Anything smaller, and the hallways get too tight, imo.

3 Design Methods

1 - design a modular format for the board, following the basic designs of the game, but allowing for my own style.

This will allow me to create any layout I want, but will not be true to the actual game layout to any degree.

2 - recreate the main HQ board, wall for wall, room for room, permanently fixed to a base.

This will allow me to play any of the official quests, plus create my own, but only based on the defined HQ board layout.

3 - recreate the walls, rooms, etc straight from the game, but keep everything as modular as possible.

This will allow me to create the individual quests from the game, without requiring the entire layout to be set up.

Thoughts?

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
2 - recreate the main HQ board, wall for wall, room for room, permanently fixed to a base.

This will allow me to play any of the official quests, plus create my own, but only based on the defined HQ board layout.

3 - recreate the walls, rooms, etc straight from the game, but keep everything as modular as possible.

This will allow me to create the individual quests from the game, without requiring the entire layout to be set up.

Thoughts?

Love it.

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
Oh, how could I forget? Here are the U.S. rules (The U.K. rules are older, but different with a number of key elements. Like how all monsters have one Body Point, and Heroes can attack each other, but those are just the tip of the iceberg! I made a list sometimes back if anyone is interested?). Like I said before, you can print them out, then add your own 25-28mm miniatures (if you have any), and you can print-out room title and furniture form here. And yeah, fun as hell! :thumbsup:

Oh by the way, if you are doing HQ in the 1:18th scale, then I recommend checking Dollar Tree's toy area for doll house furniture. It might be a little small, but its a start... and cheap as hell.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
More "modules". Corner and door sections - you'll notice the grey paint isn't quite even on the two sections... I'll have to figure out the apps as I go along, for a more consistent coverage.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Very Nice work Obi! Can you take a overhead shot with all your completed sections when you get time? Kinda like the one Mal showed.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Once you've done the main board you'll have the Expansion packs to do.

Seriously, I love where this is going.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Trust me... I can't wait to get more of this finished, and set up. Then populate it with "monsters".

Maybe one day, we can all get together for a customs con, ala Slayer Con. If so, we will play this.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Trust me... I can't wait to get more of this finished, and set up. Then populate it with "monsters".

Maybe one day, we can all get together for a customs con, ala Slayer Con. If so, we will play this.

Man, I miss Slayer Con. I would totally be in for another.

Maybe we could sponsor one...

We are all close enough to each other that i bet we could get one done somewhere.

I like the modular idea Obi. Little harder to make sure, but the amount of different playability and variations you could get would be outstanding.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
right, rock on bro. I need to hunt around. i may have some treasure chest laying around. I am pretty sure i got 1 with molded coins inside and one that is just empty inside, both have working lids. i just need to find them or see if my boys have them. I also have a cool 118th scale pewter knight that could be a statue of some sort for ya.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Working on a room... and you'll notice the perfect little treasure chest I found today, made by Safari. The lid even opens to reveal the loot. Must get molded and cast!

I'll have more to post this weekend.