I want to make some cloaks but don't know how!

Brickhead

Enlisted
May 9, 2014
Southern Maryland
www.flickr.com
Kit Lau teases us on Instagram with his customs. The most badass ones have cloaks. I'd love to make some, but can't figure it out! Ugh! If anyone has a template or can give instructions on how to do so...please do!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I believe those are actually exclusives. I'm wondering if those aren't two-piece cloaks. The actual cloak and the hood.

Lego microcanvas will probably lay the best.

Brickhead

Enlisted
May 9, 2014
Southern Maryland
www.flickr.com
KT, he's got the materials pictured in earlier progress posts. Looks like regular tight-knit canvas-like material. Lego sails might be just as good... but if I can find this fabric at a craft store I'd get on this shit faster! lol

Instagram

Edit: looked up making Lego sails and apparently you can use a material called 'calico' and to stiffen it up, just apply "gesso". Reproducing lego sails - LEGO Pirates - Eurobricks Forums

Last edited:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
The one thing you have to worry about is fraying. If you can find a material that can use a sewing supply called fray away or fray eaze (can't remember), you'll be able to make cuts without the fabric falling apart over time.

Also, look up Obi's Batman cape.

G.I. Zmo

Enlisted
Aug 5, 2011
I think, LEGO sails are too stiff for this. You will need someting much softer to make those capes.

Brickhead

Enlisted
May 9, 2014
Southern Maryland
www.flickr.com
The one thing you have to worry about is fraying. If you can find a material that can use a sewing supply called fray away or fray eaze (can't remember), you'll be able to make cuts without the fabric falling apart over time.

I'll have to look into that anti-fraying stuff. I looked up Obi's batman custom on figure realm. That's badass! Gives me another idea on capes and cloaks... I'll probably aim for something with wires and possibly even make them long and tattered...something like what Spawn has. Apparently Obi used two bandannas for the batman cape.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
You can get bandana material at michaels or another craft store. Fabric stores have small swatches of cloth that would be good too. Also, try to get a Star Wars figure robe that's similar and copy the pattern.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
I just use cheap-o cotton material.
Here is a hooded cloak/cape in progress on the next Wastelander I'm making. The hood and cape are separate. Once the paint and thin coat of glue dry, I'll trim off the frayed bits, mostly, and dirty it up with some weather paint:

I based this off of a pattern for a regular hooded cloak that I found online.

Last edited:

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
My only beef with the official cloaks, is the fraying. Too much for the size of the thread(s). I'd clean up those edges (even go as far as to "finish" the edges, as in make a small fold) and leave a few random SMALL frayed spots - but that's just me.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011

After seeing Obi's Batman and Catwoman in person...I will never be happy with a batman from a store. and the cape is ridiculous.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
My only beef with the official cloaks, is the fraying. Too much for the size of the thread(s). I'd clean up those edges (even go as far as to "finish" the edges, as in make a small fold) and leave a few random SMALL frayed spots - but that's just me.

I totally agree, man. I'm working up to that quality, myself :)
I also need a smaller needle... and some liquid latex would be good too!

XOC2008, thanks for that link, those are inspirational!

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I totally agree, man. I'm working up to that quality, myself :)
I also need a smaller needle... and some liquid latex would be good too!

Needle??? Nah... just use "Fabri-Tac". Working with this scale (1/18), thread has a tendency to look way too big depending on how you use it. It would be like you and I wearing something sewn with a small rope!

However... use what you like, of course. As long as you're happy with the end results.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Needle??? Nah... just use "Fabri-Tac". Working with this scale (1/18), thread has a tendency to look way too big depending on how you use it. It would be like you and I wearing something sewn with a small rope!
However... use what you like, of course. As long as you're happy with the end results.

Fabric-Tac, you say? I'll have to look into that.
I agree that the thread does look big when you can see it. With the look of these dudes, I don't mind so much. I reckon that Fabri-Tac make the whole process much faster, and make the edges nicer as well. I'm still learning all the ins and out with this stuff. Thanks, Obi!

Hey Brick, here is the tutorial I put together:

http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/custom-tutorials/8611-cloaks-capes-em.html

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I did this a while ago, using a fabric from Michael's. These are 5.5'' figures so the scale is off and the material is too stiff for something of that scale but it worked well enough for what I wanted.

Note that the hood is pulled down here to expose the detail but it can also be positioned to cover the head, too.

Attachments

• OphidusGallery (1).JPG
    OphidusGallery (1).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 8