"In the News" thread

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I have no clue.. you'd think so.. but.. "No Frills Supermarket" sounds code for a dump.. so maybe it blended in? Crazy to think he fell into an 18-inch gap and got stuck, no trauma.. so either he had a heart attack or stroke and died right then or there, or fell in, got stuck, no one could hear him, and basically starved/dehydrated to death over the next few days....

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
"from a former No Frills Supermarket"

So was it closed down and abandoned? If so, for how long after he went missing?

Gawd that place must've smelled just awful. A rotting mouse is putrid let alone a full human corpse.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You know, the more I think about this, the more I could see it happening. I worked at a very dumpy "shopping village" with a supermarket, cafeteria, variety store, clothing store, sporting goods store and beverage distributor up in PA when I was in high school and college. Nobody got up on top of the cooler boxes there that I know of, but it was typically pretty noisy back in the stock areas and did smell pretty bad around the coolers, particularly in the summer, so I guess if somebody fell back in there... maybe... if they thought it was an animal that died perhaps?

I can't see them abandoning it before he would start to stink though. I'm sure he lost anything in his digestive system not long after falling in there. So there'd be that smell. He'd be dead of dehydration in 3 - 4 days, then start to really stink not long after. I dunno. Perfect storm of events I suppose.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
My dad's neighbor died. I don't recall how long he was dead in there for, but my dad said that he could smell that dead dude in his house when they were "airing it out"🤮. It was the worst thing he had ever had the misfortune of inhaling. It took forever for that odor to finally go away.

It seems impossible for that whole store to not just be wretched.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
If you haven't worked in that kind of environment, you'd be surprised at how bad some of the cold stock areas smell to begin with after a box or two of shrimp or whatever breaks and some of the dead stuff gets shoved aside to rot rather than getting cleaned up. I can tell you it's not conducive to wanting to eat. After a while though, you get kind of numb to it. I spent a few years of my childhood living about a quarter mile or so from a pig farm. You get used to it. I worked part of a summer outdoors at a naval facility right next to the sewage treatment plant for DC. You get used to it.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Exactly my thoughts.

1564664398768.png

I shave regularly, and I prefer a blade to an electric shaver. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay ungodly amounts for gillette razors. I abandoned them long before they started chastising men for existing.

While DSC and Harry's are the main upstart competitors, I switched to Dorco... as they're supposedly the factory for one or more of the other upstarts. When they have sales, you can buy 7-blade razor cartridges for around $1 each. I usually stock up and get a couple of years' worth at once.

The idea of going to the store, finding someone to unlock the case because crime (in certain zipcodes), and paying $20 for a three-pack is absolutely insane. Finding a substantially cheaper alternative, while simultaneously staying away from SJW, Inc. makes it that much sweeter.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm not a millennial :p, but I shave once a week on average, with the generic equivalent of a Shick 3 blade razor. I buy a 6(?) razor multipack less than once a year at maybe $10/pack. My razors last like 6 months, one for home and one for travel. Woke Gillette never had my business and never will.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I use the cheap-ass single-blade BICs, but I've been looking into getting an antique safety razor and fulling embracing my inner hipster. You can buy a lifetime's supply of quality safety blades for the cost of refilling one of those goddamned 5-blade abominations.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I can't use disposable BIC razors. They chew up my face something fierce. I really like my 7-blade abomination, but I also like them new and sharp. I swap blades about every three weeks. But that's not so bad when you get them for a dollar. At Gillette prices, I'd have to take out a loan.

My schadenfreude over their loss of billions goes deeper, as I associate Gillette with the Patriots, whom I despise with the power of a thousand suns. I hope Gillette goes broke, the factory closes, and the Pats have to name their field Clam Chowder Stadium or some nonsense.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It's funny. We show are age when we use phrases like "on tape." My kids have never known "tape" as a recording medium and look at me funny when I forget and say that instead of "on video."

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I haven't shaved down to bare skin in, man, like 20-25 years. It just gave me such bad razor burn that I stopped doing it. I trim on zero with the same clippers I shave my head with once or twice a week. So I always have some level of stubble.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I despise "The clicker" name. I think I'm technically old enough to vaguely remember the (wired) remote making a clicking sound (for the 3 buttons you had).. but I never remember it being called a clicker personally.

It was always a remote for me and a remote it shall always be!

Maybe Fast Forward / Fast Reverse.. it still doesn't roll off the tongue like rewind though.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
It was always a remote at our house, even when it was corded. Our first was a corded two button remote for the VCR: pause & a 2-way rocker for RW/FF. We had two Betamax units, and we'd hook them up to each other to copy tapes from the video place. We had the best movie library in town, and this was well before most people had a VHS.

As a 6-year-old, I could program that thing blindfolded. I can still recall all the little manual switches necessary to make it dance. I'll bet there are airplanes with less switches... and the sound it made when ejecting, as it wound up to pop the tape tray out of the top. "Whir...whir..whir.whirwhirwhirwhirTHUNK!"

Good times. I had practically every episode of Dukes of Hazzard at my disposal...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Heh, good times! My first significant purchase of a brand new electronic device was a [[[4 head]]] VCR. It could pause without the distortion :p! I recorded the crap out of the movies that came on TV and hockey games I had to work through. I had wonderful TV copies of Top Gun and Aliens among many others. I even had a buddy who recorded a bunch of unedited macho movies (Predator and Robocop come to mind) on HBO that I'd watch as well.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Heh, good times! My first significant purchase of a brand new electronic device was a [[[4 head]]] VCR. It could pause without the distortion :p! I recorded the crap out of the movies that came on TV and hockey games I had to work through. I had wonderful TV copies of Top Gun and Aliens among many others. I even had a buddy who recorded a bunch of unedited macho movies (Predator and Robocop come to mind) on HBO that I'd watch as well.
My Dad was a firefighter and they had a black box at the station, so he'd always record movies on VHS and bring them home.. man, the old school HBO theme before movies was practically ingrained in my head.

My grandpa had a BETAMAX and a VHS, but I don't really remember too much about the Betamax.

I do miss going to the video store though, it was something magical about it that you just don't get "browsing Netflix". Seeing all the cool VHS covers and wondering if a movie was good or not and just rolling the dice basically.. since you were stuck with it when you got home.

I remember my stepmom would always let me rent whatever the hell I wanted.. I saw so many horror movies in the 80s before I was 10 haha.