Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
If only the russians weren't always interested in a dick-measuring contest.

If they put that kind of effort, time, and money into something that would actually benefit humanity, their country wouldn't be the choad of the world. Seriously, when was the last time they cured a disease or invented something that wasn't a war machine? Tetris is all I can come up with. They're truly pathetic.

They so desperately want to be relevant on the world stage, and they just don't understand that their barren wasteland of a grey country will never be the envy of the world, no matter how much chest-thumping and sabre-rattling they do.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
"
centerpiece of Moscow’s arms race with the United States. "

Is that even still a "thing" between us? Seems like everything they try to launch lately ends up blowing itself to bits seconds later.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Can someone explain to me why Russia is suddenly trying to start shit with us? I saw an article the other day that they were trying to develop a nuclear powered missile that could specifically reach the U.S. and thwart our missile defense program (is that what blew up killing all the scientists earlier?) Just....what the hell did we do to them suddenly? Dick measuring contest?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Apparently their nationalism is WAAAAAAAY more important to them than anyone else in the world. Respect/fear from the rest of the world means more to them and is one of the things that keeps their population in check. Otherwise, their sad grey lives would cause them to look around and question their pitiful economy, lack of innovation, lack of freedoms, and generally everything about their society.

An abundance of pride about mother russia seems to squelch all of that, so Putin rides around without a shirt and tries to project power, even when he has none. It's political theater, as much for the domestics as it is for the west. Think about it, what else do they have going on? Vodka and trying not to freeze to death.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Well, when pretending to be important is the ONLY thing your country has going for it, you mash that button as hard as you can. It's the geopolitical equivalent of the morphine drip at the hospital: it won't cure anything, but it'll mask the problems for a while, as long as nobody looks too carefully. And then you'll suddenly collapse... a la the USSR.

I see Russia just repeating the cycle of the old soviets. The people in charge know it's going to happen, but it'll probably happen after they're gone, so the state-written history books will laude them as champions of the motherland. Yeeah?

If they contributed anything to the world except instability, if they invented anything, if they exported anything not drilled from the ground, if they cured a disease every once in a while, if they built something that wasn't just a bad copy of a 20-year-old product, I'd have more sympathy. But they do none of that. They just prop up dictators, hack prosperous countries, threaten their neighbors, thump their chests, and juice at the olympics.

:whatever:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, I am sure you jest some.. but they did invent some important things over the years.

Timeline of Russian innovation - Wikipedia

Flying TANK ANYONE??

I mean, shit. The AK-47 is a marvel on its own, and it was invented in 1947!

And while, I am sure they cribbed a bunch of stuff from us (and us from them).. the Soviet period was interesting as things were being invented/developed in parallel with the west.. but separate.. Separate but equal!

Imagine what they could do if they weren't so corrupt and screwed up.. but honestly, they probably say the same thing about us to be honest.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
You're making my point. They have a few clever people that dabble in weapons of war.

-Thriving non-war scientific research? Aside from two guys in space, no.
-Thriving economy? No, but to be fair, even bordering on third-world feels like thriving compared to the 90's.
-Thriving culture? No. Can't have much culture when the state controls speech.
-Stable infrastructure? Nope. But who you gonna complain to?

When was the last time you couldn't wait to get your hands on the latest russian innovation? No one in this half of the world has ever wanted to buy the latest in Russian fashion, electronics, music, movies, food, automobiles, medicine, or anything else. What do they contribute, aside from a nuclear disaster every quarter century?

Every country has something to hang their hat on, something they're known for around the world, and we pride ourselves on doing more than most. But the russians? Bitch, please. They don't make shit except tools of war, to continually poke the west, scare their neighbors, and try to pump up their sad egos. What few bright minds they have are used to develop new weapons, which eventually fail b/c of corruption, poor training, and lack of funding for parts and maintenance.

Even the russian war machine is a paper tiger. I'll just leave this here. It's a fascinating read.
https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russia-might-talk-tough-but-its-navy-is-a-shrinking-won-1832805856
and this one:
https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russia-cant-afford-to-buy-its-new-super-weapons-1718368304
and this:
The Development of Soviet/Russian Naval Capabilities after the Cold War — Infographic

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Russia has had a hard-on for us since at least a century ( fun fact: We had military forces in Russia at the end of WWI. Look up American Expeditionary Force, Siberia), but they've had a chip on their shoulders for centuries.

I make it a note never to underestimate an opponent, but when said opponent's navy has a SINGLE aircraft carrier, which they can't put out to sea because of damage sustained when the only floating dock facility capable of servicing aforementioned aircraft carrier COLLAPSED ON-TO SAID CARRIER, well, I just got to chuckle.

I wouldn't give them much credit for military innovation, either. They got jet propulsion from captured Germans and the British. Our own fucking traitors gave them the atom bomb. In fact, the only thing the Russians have bequeathed the world is the most ass-backwards, blood-soaked ideology after Islam, and even then they got the idea from a couple of fucking Krauts. Fortunately for the Red, they didn't have to beat us on the field of battle, they merely had to subvert us from within.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
*Price is Right "you lose" sound effect*

Selfishly, I am hoping Galaxy's Edge is a ghost town down in FL this November. I get it. Disney was dumb to theme its new Star Wars land on the sequel trilogy, and not the tried and true original trilogy (you know, the one the folks with the cash to spend grew up with and loved) with maybe a few hints of the prequels for our kids. It also doesn't help that a hefty portion of the fanbase is generally pissed at Rian Johnson and Cathleen Kennedy right now over The Last Jedi. Oh, and swirling rumors that everything in GE is crazy expensive, even by Disney standards, certainly isn't helping. It's the perfect storm of bad publicity, and certainly not good news for a company that likely just sunk a billion dollars into building the two massively hyped themed areas in their parks.

Maybe they should work on trying to get the Marvel rights back from Universal so they can get to work on a Marvel Avengers themed area up and running before they woke that to death too...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Everyone I know who has been to GE has liked it and said it's pretty cool.. though I don't have any real desire to go, but who knows? Might love it when I get there eventually.

I think it was a bad combination of TLJ hangover, Sequelitis, the hype being TOO HIGH.. which kept away people.. and just general Star Wars fatigue.

TFA was fine and fun and I get why they made it so "familiar" to get back SW fans.. but the sequel trilogy so far has just.. been uninspired. Nothing really new, nothing exciting.. not really even anything that builds on the OT in a meaningful way. Clearly Han/Leia had a life, but all we got to see was the broken remnants for half a movie. I am sure Han & Chewie got up to some exciting adventures.. but we didn't get to see that either. Luke.. wasted. I dunno.

I really hope Rise of Skywalker is good, and really does close out all 3 trilogies somehow. I'd be happy putting SW to bed for a while again.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I've seen and mostly enjoyed all the new films to one degree or another, but I'm perfectly happy living in my head-space where the only thing that "counts" is the OT and the original dozen-or-so EU books. That's all I need my SW world to be. I simply don't care about hundreds of years in the future/past or the adventures of randos on the far end of the galaxy. That's not why I'm here.

If you view the new stuff like some kind of "what-if" story, it makes it easier to enjoy the fun parts but not get worked up over the nonsensical minutiae.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I feel like Galaxy Edge's problems are a combination of people fearing giant crowds the first year, not wanting to spend the money until both rides are open and the fact that the two other things to do there (build a droid, build a saber) are $100 & $200 respectively. You can't even go into those two shops unless you are participating and can only bring one person in with you. Then you add in the fact that Kathleen Kennedy torpedoed the majority of 40yr old's Star Wars lust and you end up with parks that are not as crowded as planned. Funny thing is that Universal's attendance with Harry Potter is way up. Kids do not like Star Wars and KK pushed away the adults. The end.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I just selfishly want them to make more Rogue One and Solos. Give us more content in the exciting time. The Empire is the best villian and it's a crime to ignore the best period in SW.

Even the immediate post-ROTJ universe would have been better.. seeing them hunting down the remaining Empire ships.. problem was they waited too damn long for the sequel trilogy.

But like I said, I'm OK with it ending and they can start a new Star Wars trilogy that has no connection to the PT/OT/ST.. we'll call it the OS (Original Saga). Maybe it'll be good? Who knows. The baggage any new SW project has at this point.. if connected to the OS is ridiculous.

In a perfect world for ye olde timey fans.. would be a 'living' series that progresses sequentially with our real life.. so a year passes here, a year passes in the star wars world. We get new stories/etc and the universe unfolds in a timely manner. The MCU kind of does this more or less already, though the time-skip/blip/etc will make things interesting. It's easier with the MCU since they're filming mostly "on earth" so it makes sense to see newer tech in Endgame (2019) than Iron Man (2008). If they applied this to a SW saga.. you'd be able to have them invent new tech over the years and iterate organically.. and have it make sense. Right now we're going to be seeing fucking Y-Wings in TRoS and those are how-fucking old? But we need to see A-Wings, Y-Wings, B-Wings, X-Wings, etc because that's all we know about SW rebel tech.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I just want this Skywalker movie to get here and be gone as fast as possible and then reboot the entire franchise in some place far, far, farther, furthest away that has never heard of anyone having anything to do with the Skywalkers or Rey.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
In some ways I sympathize with them.. I mean, why make it Star Wars if its not connected at all? Why not start a new brand in that case? BUT of course the SW name will bring in $$$ regardless of quality.. but also could end up with a huge rejection if its not anywhere near what people 'expect' from a Star Wars movie.

I suppose Old Republic would be the safest. Since you could still have ties to the Jedi & Sith, without needing to worry about any of the existing characters.. or even places.

We'll see. They really need a good movie to wipe away TLJ.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
What what?

BTW, not sure if all this SW really belongs in the ITN thread (not exactly world changing), but that is where the current discussion about it seems to be. Maybe the powers that be can consolidate all these SW blurbs into the SW/Obi Wan/Movies thread(s).