"In the News" thread

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It's odd you can't hear anything when the slur is supposedly said. According to reports, the Popeyes staff was trying to scam people out of more money for the stupid chicken sandwiches which started all this.

But yeah, I don't think it deserves a body slam either way.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That seems really interesting, and I don't see anything biased with it really.

Highlights:

– Democrats and Republicans imagine that almost twice as many people on the other side hold extreme views than really do.
– On average, Democrats and Republicans believe that 55 percent of their opponents' views are extreme, but in reality only about 30 percent are.
– Americans with more partisan views hold more exaggerated views of their opponents.
– Members of America’s “Exhausted Majority” have a narrower Perception Gap than either of the “Wings” (America’s more politically partisan groups).
– Consumption of most forms of media, including talk radio, newspapers, social media, and local news, is associated with a wider Perception Gap.
– For example, people who consume news “most of the time” are almost three times as inaccurate as those who consume it “only now and then”.
– Furthermore, those who post about politics on social media show a substantially larger Perception Gap than those who do not.
– Higher education among Democrats, but not Republicans, corresponds with a wider Perception Gap.
– For example, Democrats who hold a postgraduate degree are three times as inaccurate as those who did not graduate high school.
– This may be due in part to lower friendship diversity, as higher educated Democrats (but not Republicans) are more likely to say that "almost all" of their friends share their political views.
– The wider people’s Perception Gap, the more likely they are to attribute negative personal qualities (like ‘hateful’ or ‘brainwashed’) to their opponents. – Overall, Americans’ views are more similar to their political opponents’ than they realize.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
As an Independent I got a 4% gap of assessing Dems and an 11% gap of Repubs. Not sure how I feel about a CNN quiz being accurate, but I did try to be straight with it, not just aiming for what I thought they'd publish as fact.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
The other problem is that it's tough to assign a number to that stuff. "What percentage of democrats think we should have open borders?" The real answer is "Too many". I am blindly guessing as to whether it's 25% or 60%. All I know is that it's a scary non-trivial percentage.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
My concern is what was the wording to the questions that determined the percentages taken as gospel here? If the poll is conceived and administered by biased individuals, the results will inevitably be biased.

And... CNN is an opinion generator. Everything from the scrolling headlines to the talking delivery heads is biased. Fox News is the same, but at the other end of the spectrum. So are ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC and all the others.