"In the News" thread

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It's odd you can't hear anything when the slur is supposedly said. According to reports, the Popeyes staff was trying to scam people out of more money for the stupid chicken sandwiches which started all this.

But yeah, I don't think it deserves a body slam either way.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That seems really interesting, and I don't see anything biased with it really.

Highlights:

– Democrats and Republicans imagine that almost twice as many people on the other side hold extreme views than really do.
– On average, Democrats and Republicans believe that 55 percent of their opponents' views are extreme, but in reality only about 30 percent are.
– Americans with more partisan views hold more exaggerated views of their opponents.
– Members of America’s “Exhausted Majority” have a narrower Perception Gap than either of the “Wings” (America’s more politically partisan groups).
– Consumption of most forms of media, including talk radio, newspapers, social media, and local news, is associated with a wider Perception Gap.
– For example, people who consume news “most of the time” are almost three times as inaccurate as those who consume it “only now and then”.
– Furthermore, those who post about politics on social media show a substantially larger Perception Gap than those who do not.
– Higher education among Democrats, but not Republicans, corresponds with a wider Perception Gap.
– For example, Democrats who hold a postgraduate degree are three times as inaccurate as those who did not graduate high school.
– This may be due in part to lower friendship diversity, as higher educated Democrats (but not Republicans) are more likely to say that "almost all" of their friends share their political views.
– The wider people’s Perception Gap, the more likely they are to attribute negative personal qualities (like ‘hateful’ or ‘brainwashed’) to their opponents. – Overall, Americans’ views are more similar to their political opponents’ than they realize.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
As an Independent I got a 4% gap of assessing Dems and an 11% gap of Repubs. Not sure how I feel about a CNN quiz being accurate, but I did try to be straight with it, not just aiming for what I thought they'd publish as fact.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
The other problem is that it's tough to assign a number to that stuff. "What percentage of democrats think we should have open borders?" The real answer is "Too many". I am blindly guessing as to whether it's 25% or 60%. All I know is that it's a scary non-trivial percentage.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
My concern is what was the wording to the questions that determined the percentages taken as gospel here? If the poll is conceived and administered by biased individuals, the results will inevitably be biased.

And... CNN is an opinion generator. Everything from the scrolling headlines to the talking delivery heads is biased. Fox News is the same, but at the other end of the spectrum. So are ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC and all the others.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Someone fucked up big time allowing tourists over there. If that American with 80% burns survives he's gonna wish he hadn't.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So the whole Iran thing happened while I was on a cruise ship and I didn't pony up for the internet package. It was nice leaving my phone off for 3 days! Could have come back to WWIII I guess...

What are peoples thoughts? Everything I read from non crazy people seemed to think killing that guy was warranted, but the left wing places for some reason are still pro IRAN.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
He was the douche that was reportedly orchestrating the attack(s) on the US embassy in Baghdad. That (in the current administration) bought him and a few friends one way tickets to see Allah. Apparently he was responsible for many, many more deaths in the past, including Iranians, Iraqis and US service personnel in the aftermath of the Iraq War (via militia and IED attacks).

I have not dug in to confirm the last part of that, but I believe item 1 was sufficient, particularly when you are sending a "this will not be another Benghazi" message. You eff with the current US representation overseas, you lose a freaking general on day 4. That's a solid message, one that made the Ayatollah cry.

Oh, and we've got 52 other sites cued up for massively powerful precision strikes... Yeah. We got balls in the WH again.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Dude needed to die, but Bush and Obama both passed on opportunities. I’m pretty sure if Trump thought a war would break out, he would have passed too. Half his base voted for him to get the hell out of the wars, not start new ones.

The Libs are funny as one guy was calling out Trump for being soft and emboldening the enemy just a week or two ago and then he pivots and says how Trump is being too aggressive after the drone strike. They literally just say the opposite of what he does on EVERYTHING.

I do find it awfully suspect that the congress passed the massive military spending increase just weeks before this event...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'm glad we made an example of him. Iran needed to be reminded that they need to behave. We don't want them or their country or their oil. Just fucking play nice and behave.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would care that we smote one of the largest terrorists on the planet. Who cares if it was in the middle of baghdad? And who really cares that it has the Iranians all riled up? They rattle their sabres and talk shit ALL THE TIME. This changes nothing. Every damn day they talk fire and brimstone and burn american flags, so how is this different? Why does every lib suddenly think that war is now immenent. War? War? Are they going to take us out with their three duct-taped F-14s, or their half-dozen 60's-era russian planes? Or maybe a speedboat with some AK's and C-4? War? Bitch, please.

If they get too big for their britches, we'll turn their whole god-forsaken country to glass.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Firing anyone over anything that isn't performance related is generally bad form. But I lump attendance, attitude, hygiene, etc in with "performance".

However, this is just one more victim class that now will sue every time they don't get hired, regardless of whether or not they're qualified. It's getting the point where they should just declare that everyone who isn't straight/white/male is "protected class".

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Space Force!!!

They got made fun of by some of the "journalists" covering the story because, "who needs camouflage in space? What a waste of money... dur?" The SF people responded that they had only thus far changed the name tape and were still using their previous AF and Army uniforms for now.

I think they should just change to flat black uniforms for their next refresh. No developmental costs for a new "useless" camo pattern, and it'd make them look like the evil baddies from a Die Hard flick. Or I suppose a kinder, gentler gray would suffice.