"In the News" thread

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
NSA isn't the only one with this thought...

Conservative media company The Daily Wire is planning on moving its headquarters from Los Angeles, Calif., to Nashville, Tenn.

“We've been asked over and over and over again when we would leave California,” conservative commentator Ben Shapiro, who is also moving out of L.A., tweeted on Tuesday. “The answer: now. See you in Nashville, gang!”

• Love
Reactions: NSA

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I've also heard Tim Poole is leaving NJ and Joe Rogan is leaving LA,CA. I get the impression that a ton of the smart and wealthy are leaving the major lib cities/states in favor of conservative cities/states right now.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, Joe is headed to TX. He said the taxes and homeless problem are what drove him away. Shocker.

You have to think, even the people in parts of CA that aren't plagued with problems are going to be in for a shock when there are substantially less rich people to pay the tab for all of CA's massive spending. Austerity is a bitch.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, CA and NY will be even more screwed trying to pay back their debt with fewer and fewer wealthy people to try to draw blood from.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Not really, but would be most other places. That's yet another reason to move away from there if you can do the same job and earn the same salary somewhere else or remotely.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Until they decided to double tax you, based on where you live vs where the company operates. That's a real thing that happens now. Some states reimburse/credit the taxes you're forced to pay in other locales, but some don't.

Or in the case of California, they assume that anyone who leaves is doing so either temporarily or just to escape taxes, and thus they are continued to be taxed accordingly. The burden is actually on you to prove to pencil pushers in Sacremento that you really left for good. It's a 19-criteria process, I shit you not. Quite frankly, 90% of that information is none of their damn business. Truly, the CA taxation board is end-stage bureaucracy at it's finest.

----------------------------
Q: I am planning to move away from California this summer. Do I need to continue paying state income tax?

A: It depends. Many taxpayers are under the impression that all they need to do is move out of state and they will no longer be subject to California state income tax. This misunderstanding puts many people at risk of unexpected tax assessments and Franchise Tax Board (FTB) penalties. In fact, there is a long list of factors that may keep you tied to the state for tax purposes even after you leave.

Q: How does the FTB determine whether or not I still reside in the state for tax purposes?

A: To determine residency, the FTB uses the “closest connection test” which involves evaluating the following 19 factors to determine the location of your main contacts:
  1. The location of your largest and most expensive residential real property
  2. Where your spouse and children live
  3. Where your children attend school
  4. Where you claim your homeowners property tax exemption
  5. Where most of your phone calls are made from
  6. The number of days you spend in California as opposed to the number of days you spend elsewhere (and why you spend your time here or there, e.g., business or pleasure)
  7. Where you file your federal and state tax returns, and what address you list as your residence on those returns
  8. The location of your bank accounts
  9. The origination point of your checking and credit card transactions
  10. Where you maintain your social, religious and professional memberships
  11. Where you register your automobile(s)
  12. The state that issued your driver’s license
  13. The state where you vote
  14. Where your doctor, dentist, accountant, and attorney is located
  15. Where you are employed
  16. Where your business is located
  17. The state in which you hold your professional license(s)
  18. The location of your investment real property
  19. Affidavits from individuals discussing your residency
Q: How long will the state presume that I am still a resident after I leave?

A: You are generally presumed to be a California resident for a period of 18 months after you leave the state.

Q: What if I move to another state, but work remotely as an employee of a California business?

A: The FTB may attempt for some time to make you file a California resident return based on any California connection – you are the one with the burden of proving that you are no longer a California resident. If you still have ties to the State of California per the above-listed 19 factors or others, you should be prepared to defend yourself.

Once you establish sufficient connections elsewhere you will be able to file a nonresident California income tax return that will include your California-source income.

Q: Do the 19 factors apply even for people who have never been California residents?

A: Yes, they do. The FTB is very aggressive in finding ways to impose taxes. Failure to take California non-resident tax into consideration can be costly. Even if the state loses its case, your legal and accounting costs may be significant.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Holy crap. CA has gone full communist. And you never go full communist...

They probably tax you for flying through (heck, maybe even over) the state at this point...

I once visited CA for a week back in '99. Do I owe something? :rolleyes:

• Haha

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Hell, we're all part of this social group, and the site was created by a californian. Just by the act of reading this forum, you're essentially in CA as we speak. Technically, we probably all owe CA state income tax now.

Gonna have to off-shore this server...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It's a long con! Pelosi should be at your door any minute now...

And yeah it seems like it sucks, though I do imagine it's so ridiculous because people will try any number of ways to escape paying their 'fair' taxes. It just sucks because the ones who DO escape paying the taxes are the super rich and companies that can hire fancy lawyers to get through the loopholes.

Also.. more people TN bound

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I know I told YOU to come here, but I didn't mean for EVERYBODY to come here!

We've proudly worn our hillbilly cloak of invisibility, not bothering to disillusion anyone's backward stereotypes of our region just so that we wouldn't be invaded. No reason for the whole world to know... but maybe the secret's out.

• Haha