JoeCon 2011 Leatherneck Review

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
So Mandingo set the bar REALLY high...so what we need to do now is lower our expectations waaaaay way way down to like shortbus level. We there?... Good, let's begin...

Up until this JoeCon Mission Brazil 2 Leatherneck, Hasbro saw fit to give us two other Leathernecks... both of which were packed in with a vehicle and were lame excuses for the classic LN (though the version that came with the tan AWE Striker was a much better Mission Brazil than this JoeCon version)... and this JoeCon version is no different... BUT, of the three, he's the best by far... and IMO, likely the closest we'll ever get to having an "accurate" representaion of the 1986 classic LN... and that's exactly why i picked him up off eBay for $45 shipped... Yeah, it did hurt to pay that for one loose figure... but again, it's probably the best we're gonna get and it's an EXCLUSIVE, so, ehh...

Aside from being less than accurate to his OG counterpart, he's really not a bad figure... He looks cool, and i'm BIG fan of the PIT Commando vest used on him, thought obviously this time it's in tan... I can't help but think though, that had they used a different vest, they could have put the dark green paint apps on his shoulders and have been that much closer to the ARAH figure which they were clearly trying to emulate... Another great selling point for me is the use of the torso originally used to make 25th Dusty from the DVD set. I love it... it's a great sculpt for one, plus it has the extra waist articulation that i believe no other Joe figure has (besides Joes that use the Dusty torso). The rest of the figure though, is made up of parts I'm much less impressed by... the Gung-Ho head, AGAIN?!.... ugh, enough already! I would have preferred the PoC Recondo head with a new 8 point cap. Then there's the Snow Job legs, and they too have been used to death. The lower portion of them is fine if used with a different upper leg, but then the knee would have been an issue, which I also don't like here... though had it been painted with the same camo scheme as the rest of the figure, wouldn't have been so bad. Heck, now that i say it, the uppers would have been fine too had they camo'd the black—things—on the front of LN's upper legs also.. Lastly, we have those damn Duke arms...they suck major a$$ for holding, well, anything. The one good thing about them though is that they are classic-Leatherneck-accurate with the forearm cuff... so much so that i choose to use them on my custom LN.

The bad bad things?... for one, you can't use the backpack on LN with the vest on. The holes in the vest and on the torso of the figure don't line up., so if you want to use it with the vest on (who doesn't?) you are forced to elongate the hole in the vest on an EXCLUSIVE $45 dollar figure. Not cool. Plus, due to the pockets on side of the back of the vest, the backpack sits cockeyed... nothing too noticeable, but it is there. Another bad thing is, at least on my LN, that the peg and socket on his right arm do not line up correctly, making it super easy for his forearm to fall off. Go ahead—adjust his gun, or arm position, see what happens, LOL... Something minor, and typical of most figures with removable vests, is the inability to put his arms down at his sides; this hinders a lot of poses and kinda looks weird. As you can see in the pics, thats as low as they go...

His gear is nice—basic really—nothing over the top... of course, there is the PIT Commando vest that I so love. He also comes with an M16(?), a Desert Eagle(?), a machete and a backpack that's had its rounds in the 25th line... Oh, also, a two-peg stand and a VERY flimsy file card... (Which is consistent wit the entire set, btw -Rex)

The paint apps, like all the other JoeCon figures reviewed by Mandingo, were great... especially the camo. The skin tone is nice too, matching all my other figures, though I don't mind variations in skin tones from figure to figure, it just makes it difficult to swap parts when customising. The eyes are very well applied—no wonky cross-eyed-ness or strung-out buggy eyes like 25th Ace. His left arm patch is nice and crisp too.

I also took this opportunity to show off the brick wall i made using Mandingo's tutorial and used it as a backdrop... very easy to do, and the results are so cool.

All in all, Leatherneck is a decent figure, even if he lacks in the accuracy department that the nostalgia freak in me so desperately desires.

Outta 10, i'd give him a 7, mostly for crappy parts re-use.

Last edited by a moderator:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I still like your and my customs better, but there's something fancy about an "official" release (even if it's not exactly Hasbro produced and sold). If I hadn't already shelled out too much money on the other guys, I would get him.

I still feel like he deserves a POC update, but that head works much better as LN than it ever did for Gung-Ho.

The JoeCon figures fell into a "pass/fail" system for me, and sadly for Leatherneck, he "failed", and thus I did not get him. Which isn't saying a lot I guess, considering I didn't get the highly-sought-after Covergir... err, "Sparta", or the Cobra De Aco, which I simply can't stand as he's a goofy kitbash (and I never got the vintage charm other than the rarity).

Thanks for the review, took you long enough!

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Looking at your pics again, they really do go above and beyond with these sets as far as paint apps go. They painted all those tiny details on the backpack, for instance. Yet they use the green plastic for the head. Does that bother you that you can see the green plastic from the sides?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i don't really notice the green from the front or even viewing him isometrically, so its not really a big deal...i just found it odd that they molded the head in green when the hat is a seperate piece that gets glued on...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Meh, still not a real Leatherneck by H'bro. I'd love to see a PoC version of him, perhaps with a modern M4/M203 with a 30 rd mag instead of that lame 20 rd'er and some other great accessories.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Is that a wall you made Eddie? Don't you have a photobucket account for bigger pics?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Blood, I'm gonna host pics for him, I just haven't had time to swap them out. I'll also format his post a little better and fix a few typos, too.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
You going to hold his hand while he goes to the bathroom too? :p

Starfighter

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
I have finally got my set last week and still have not got around to look at them fully yet. I will say that I sold the brown outfitted version of Leatherneck in a lot on Ebay as I kept this version. It is great. I really only want one of each character. I am really happy with the Claymore Figure as Magnum is very cool too. After all, Magnum, p.i. is an ex-Navy S.E.A.L.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Is that a wall you made Eddie? Don't you have a photobucket account for bigger pics?

yeah, i did make that wall, thanks to MRs tutorial

and i'm not that tech savy...

Blood, I'm gonna host pics for him, I just haven't had time to swap them out. I'll also format his post a little better and fix a few typos, too.

ya just HAD to point out my typos...all high and mighty up their on your cloud

he would prolly like that

you only show up to get digs and post NSFW pics huh? :D

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
You going to hold his hand while he goes to the bathroom too? :p

No, the erection he'd undoubtedly have would cause him to piss all over everything in sight. :eek:

I edited the post and swapped out the pics. It was mostly a bunch of "..." I swapped out for other punctuation to help with read flow, and I capitalized some stuff and fixed a few typos. Every publication should have someone go over someone's stuff! Even the big mags, like Playgirl do that!

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
No, the erection he'd undoubtedly have would cause him to piss all over everything in sight. :eek:

I edited the post and swapped out the pics. It was mostly a bunch of "..." I swapped out for other punctuation to help with read flow, and I capitalized some stuff and fixed a few typos. Every publication should have someone go over someone's stuff! Even the big mags, like Playgirl do that!

When I do my first review, I going to just do a thread title and one pic and let rex fill in the rest :)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
When I do my first review, I going to just do a thread title and one pic and let rex fill in the rest :)

Haha. I actually just swapped the image hosting so everyone could view it full-screen. He uses a PS3 to post stuff (I don't know how) but with them "embedded" in the site, so to speak, you have to be a member to view them. He asked that I changed it. Sheesh, MW. You better at least take all the pics! :)

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Man, I wish I could have got my hands on a con set. For the price there going for no thanks though I could by two terror dromes for that price!!:eek:

Nice review, Still don't like the feet they used for leatherneck. Eddie, What lower legs did you use for the Leatherneck custom?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
they are Flash legs...i tried as much as possible to make him paintless, aside from the cammo...so Flashes lowers matched Stalkers paint on the uppers the closest, though still required a coat of paint...but if the paint rubs a little, it wont be a big deal...

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
they are Flash legs...i tried as much as possible to make him paintless, aside from the cammo...so Flashes lowers matched Stalkers paint on the uppers the closest, though still required a coat of paint...but if the paint rubs a little, it wont be a big deal...

Cool, I hope I have an extra Flash or Cobra Commander.. I think they had the same lowers?? I need them for a Recondo custom, maybe.