JoeCon 2011 Python Trooper Review

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
It's time for the last figure in the JoeCon set to be reviewed. The 15 figure set has been reviewed over the last few months by several board members and I'm happy to provide the final one. The Python Trooper is a remake of the classic 1989 figure. In the JoeCon set you get 6 of the Troopers to make a nice squad of Python Patrol Infantry.

The Python Trooper is the basic infantryman of Python Patrol and is cross trained in at least two support skills. The figure is a direct repaint of the 25th Cobra Trooper that we have got dozens of different versions of. The figure is a perfect match to the 1989 classic figure, the only change is the added Black Cobra Sigil on his chest, It's a great update.

The figure suffers that same flaws as many of the other 25th line troopers do, mainly the weak legs. 4 out of my 6 Python Troopers has very loose and unstable legs. The Python Trooper has a full range of motion, nice hands to hold all his weapons and his head moves left and right.

The Python Trooper comes with a 2 peg Cobra Stand, Black AK-47, knife, File Card and a Black removable helmet. His web gear is the same as the 25th Officer and is removable as well. Underneath the helmet, the Trooper has short brown hair and a mean set of eyes with brown eyebrows.

I have to admit that I'm a sucker for Cobra Troopers. It doesn't matter if they are Desert Themed, Sunbow accurate, Black Mask, Red Sig or PP. I just can't get enough of them. I really enjoy this version of the Trooper. It helps that you get a squad of 6 in the set, they look so awesome together. All 6 of my Python Troopers have excellent paint applications and the added Black Sigil and Python Patrol Badge on their left arms are a nice touch. If you ever have a chance to pick up a set or some Troopers, I highly recommend it.

9 out of 10

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks man. Other than a few blurry shots, it turned out pretty good.

All kidding aside though, the figure is pretty great, for a ghastly repaint. I prefer it over the mass-released "Officer" (although I still contend that there was a screw-up in the 80s that they switched the names on the file cards and this is technically the officer, but whatever) which was sort of blah. For some reason, the colors look good on the Trooper, and makes him one of the best PP figures, behind Copperhead.

Somehow I missed the De Aco review... I gotta find it.

Last edited:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks man. Other than a few blurry shots, it turned out pretty good.

All kidding aside though, the figure is pretty great, for a ghastly repaint. I prefer it over the mass-released "Officer" (although I still contend that there was a screw-up in the 80s that they switched the names on the file cards and this is technically the officer, but whatever) which was sort of blah. For some reason, the colors look good on the Trooper, and makes him one of the best PP figures, behind Copperhead.

Somehow I missed the De Aco review... I gotta find it.

Thanks. Some of the pics are out of focus, I like to blame it on my poor camera and not my horrible Picture taking skills :)

I agree about the 80's figures, I think it was a mistake and it used to really bother me but now I don't care. The colors look fantastic on the Trooper and the pictures don't do it justice. Like all the PP figures, they look lame on there own but you put them together and they look badass.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, personally, I think that the entire Python Patrol thing is a bit garish, but of the two (this or Tiger Force) that PP is the better done set over TF. As nasty as the colors are on the PP figures, they seem to be less all-over-the-place than the TF figures. I also never liked the silly Tiger striping.

Which leads me to ask, wtf happened to the "7-packs that will complete some collections."

Was that the end of Tiger Force? Not that I want them, but I guess that The Club may have to finish off the Tiger Force Joes next year...

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I hear ya, I do like TF Flint but most of them are blah. I will admit that as a kid I loved Tiger Force :eek:

I wouldn't be suprised if the Club does a TF set in the next few years. They would be easy repaints and connect with enough fans that it would sell well.

I'm pretty sure that the 7 packs are being saved for the Renegades Figures that won't be coming out :p