John's Stuff Decals.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A while back i was looking at MD to get a set of those 1:18 WWII US vehicle markings for a potential "throwback" Abrams repaint and came up empty handed.

In fact you may have noticed they're down to Luftwaffe hakenkreuze sets. Well, i was poking around a 1:6 custom site and found out why. Turns out MD's 4th ALPS printer deepsixed itself, and they've yet to find a solution.

So, yeah, now ya know. It's a damn shame, they were a great resource for an even better price.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You really can't recreate white markings on cheap ass Testors home kits. Even if you could i couldn't get get a good set out of my printer. That's why ALPS were popular with cottage decal makers. It actually printed with white ink.

Then again, they were finicky machines from a defunct company and ink cartridges are getting increasingly rare, so it was only a matter of time. Still, i'da liked to seen one last run so i could stock up.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
If the design you're looking to make is simple enough, you could always do a mask and rattle-can solution.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i never had a knack for drawing geometric designs, and i haven't gotten down properly scaling stuff for printing.

Anyhow, this thread isn't for trying to point out non-solutions, but to inform an apparently uninterested group as to the status of the only cost-effective decal solution.