K-Tiger buys a PS4, or RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 TEASER?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Got all the satchels! 99 carry capacity plus $1,000,000+ = awesome!

Getting the 3 star cougar was not easy. Lots of waiting. And right as I was about to get one, had him in my sights, a freaking wolf attacked me out of nowhere. :wtf: :shakefist:

Fortunately I was able to track the cougar and not destroy his pelt blowing him away.

Unrelated, the more you play though, the more you realize that there is a LOT of unnecessary SJW crap packed into this game. :grumpy:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Got all the satchels! 99 carry capacity plus $1,000,000+ = awesome!

Getting the 3 star cougar was not easy. Lots of waiting. And right as I was about to get one, had him in my sights, a freaking wolf attacked me out of nowhere. :wtf::shakefist:

Fortunately I was able to track the cougar and not destroy his pelt blowing him away.

Unrelated, the more you play though, the more you realize that there is a LOT of unnecessary SJW crap packed into this game. :grumpy:
I left off about to play Mary's second mission, but I think I'm going pelt-hunting. I better bring a second horse, or this is gonna get tedious.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
There is some, but I kind of see Arthur as someone who doesn't care much either way. He'll help out anyone, if there is money involved, but typically seems to err on the side of not being outright barbaric.

They really out did themselves with the environment. Character interactions are somewhat shallower than trumpeted, sadly.
Yeah, outside of the main couple of characters everything is pretty 1 dimensional. Greet or Antagonize. No real dialog trees or ability to do anything other than say hello or fuck off to people. Though, to be fair, not many games have that ability, at least not with something of scale.

I want a game where every NPC has its own life and story, runs on its own internal clock whether you're watching or not, and dynamically changes based on events in the world.

The hard part with games and setups like that is the player character doesn't operate that way. With the time dilation, we're running around for "weeks" at a time without eating or sleeping or slowing down.. and that messes with everything if everyone else is stuck on "real" time. I want to visit someone but they're sleeping, wtf its only 3AM! RDR2 does this OK by letting you wait till morning.. but.. I don't know.. still not the same.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
More on that point.. there is a very find line between GAME and SIMULATION and I kind of (blue) waffle on that back and forth. At some point a GAME becomes too much of a chore if it's making you do things in real time or meaningless stuff. Like chopping wood or riding forever.. so they need to add in fun actions or rewards to make you keep doing it.

If you enable a fast travel to anywhere, then no one will see this world you created, but if you force them to take the long way every time they might give up.

I don't know the right way to do things, because even if I would appreciate SIM-aspects, the time restraints I have on gaming these days means I'd never really be able to enjoy it, even if I like it in theory. Meh.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Where did you find the cougar?
The cougar I found west of Strawberry. The circled area. You'll hear him before he attacks you. Hit eagleeye when you do and find him then deadeye him in the head with a rifle. Didn't damage the pelt.
cougar.jpg
The panther is between two cabins south of Braithwaite.

There is some, but I kind of see Arthur as someone who doesn't care much either way. He'll help out anyone, if there is money involved, but typically seems to err on the side of not being outright barbaric.
You missed my point. Arthur's reaction to it is irrelevant...to me at least. My point was that it was unnecessarily included. This kind of a game (or any game really) is no place for agendas. I haven't found one yet, but I'm waiting for some poor, tortured homo to show up that the player is supposed to feel sympathetic for. :whatever:

I hear you guys on the tediousness of the game. There is that fine line between fun and "okay, this is just too much realism". Being forced to walk in camp drives me bonkers. I don't mind the chores to get deadeye, but that slow stroll makes me not want to bother.

The long rides can be pretty excruciating if you're working on a goal. I'll fast travel for them. But I love wondering around discovering new places and environments on my own. It's all been so beautifully rendered.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Um, you haven't run into the guy looking for his "friend" Gavin? :troll:

Yeah, outside of the main couple of characters everything is pretty 1 dimensional. Greet or Antagonize. No real dialog trees or ability to do anything other than say hello or fuck off to people. Though, to be fair, not many games have that ability, at least not with something of scale.
I think my biggest disappointment is the gang itself. That may change, as I hear steam really picks up sometime in Chapter 4.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah the gang so far (mid Chapter 3 here) is only OK. I suppose I'm doing more of the side stuff than I really should be, so if you were doing things more in order it might feel more solid. As it is, its like weeks between missions for me now.

I suppose it could be a case of the world being too engrossing and it ends up taking away from the story.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Um, you haven't run into the guy looking for his "friend" Gavin? :troll:
You.. you joke?

I suppose it could be a case of the world being too engrossing and it ends up taking away from the story.
This is the "problem" for me. I find myself begrudgingly thinking, "Ugh. I guess I should move the story along a bit." and chipping away at it here and there. Its definitely a chore.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Found the poofter looking for Gav-gav. He seems to have a safe space around him. I bet dollars to donuts that the KKK guys don't have a safe space preventing them from being pummeled, trampled or shot.

Though I haven't checked. Do ALL of the people in Rhodes during the "no weapons" period have a safe space?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wait, you can't attack the Nigel? I know I didn't get any interaction prompt when I was near him, but I was under the impression that you have to kill and loot the letter on his corpse to get the backstory on Gavin.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
At least for now he has a 2-3 foot radius around him that you can't penetrate. Like a force field. You can't get near him. And during the "no weapons" period, I can't draw anything, not even the whip, to see if the force field protects him from bullets.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I ran into him outside Rhodes and still can't use weapons there.

Got the Satchel of the East or whatever yesterday, thank you for your handy maps Eduardo!

I went looking for the cougar out west and ran into a perfect Elk. Tossed it on the horse and went to hunt duck, and looksee there was a damn 3-star cougar sitting on the shore of the river drinking. Zoom in, headshot, boom-done. Had a debtor quest nearby.. to get the white cougar.. so did that, got a couple other perfect pelts along the way.. and then wanted to head back to camp..

Took the train to Rhodes.. what.. no horse? It's still out west! Ugh. Take a carriage nearer to home.. nope, horse is still out west. Finally take the train BACK west, get the horse, and ride all the way back to camp. How the heck do you make your horse go with you?

So I had everything for the east satchel, but still needed the panther for the other one.. it was getting late (11:15ish) but I wanted to be done with this.. so I headed out towards where you pointed to on the map.. nothing.. searched around.. nothing.. more nothing. Lots of deer, some pigs, and little creatures.. but nada else.. finally after close to an hour I randomly moved across "big cat". OOOOHHHH. Try to sneak up and it runs off. DAMN IT. Spent another 15 minutes wandering around before I came across it again, this time it was running at me.. slow-mo.. headshot.. SKIN! Rode all the way back, made both satchels.. and.. BED TIME.

99 of everything should make things pretty easy, basically don't worry about anything, you'll have enough of whatever, and can sell them in bulk to make some cash if needed. I've still not run out of money, I keep somewhere between $1500-$1800 on hand at all times, and buy everything I want/need. Camp is fully upgraded as well.

Think I might start focusing on the story missions for a bit now. Riding all over for legendary skins and fish is gonna take a backseat for a bit methinks.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Online is live for Ultimate Edition users. I don't know if I'm even going to install the update.
Kind of want to play with the character creator.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Hell has frozen over, and I'm joining the rest of the free world and getting a PS4. Actually, I bought one last week, but my kids are wrapping it up for my birthday next month. I will not be able to participate in the RDR2 hoopla, as I'm too cheap to buy $60 games when I know it'll be $17 this time next year, and I have 5+ years worth of great games to catch up on.

After some serious research into good single-player games (online gaming against 13yo asian kids with no life holds no appeal for me), I hit a couple of Gamestop's pre-owned sections pretty hard:

Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
Burnout Paradise Remastered
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Doom
Fallout 4
Far Cry 4
God of War
Gran Turismo Sport
Madden '16 (Peyton!)
Metro Redux
Need 4 Speed: Payback
Need 4 Speed: Rivals
Project Cars
Project Cars II
Spider-Man (came with the console, but I'm stoked about it)
The Last of Us Remastered
Transformers Devastation
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection
Wolfenstein: The New Order

I have a whole list of another dozen titles I want to pick up, but this should get me through winter ;)

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I considered an xbox solely for the Forza series... but ultimately, my limited I-live-in-the-boonies bandwidth seemed to be a much bigger issue for an xbox than a ps4. As I understand it, you can't do shit, even single player local games without hooking an xbox to the net, where it will silently suck up your full month's worth of metered bandwidth within 24 hours. F-that.

I'm all about driving and shooting, with the exception of madden. If it doesn't do one of those well, I'm going to lose interest pretty quickly. But I'm looking forward to Spidey, as every spider-man game I've ever played on the PC had indecipherable controls. Not the hardcore gamer I used to be, I look for fun, intuitive, and uncomplicated games.

Black Ops III... eh, I paid $6 for it. I can't imagine that I can't get six dollars of fun out of it.

I've heard great things about Horizon Zero... but the screenshots look like more "fantasy" than I prefer. The minute I see an elf or orc, I'm finished. I don't do hobbits, trolls, sorcery, or go on "quests". Anything that smells like D&D need not apply. I had similar concerns about God of War, but the reviews were so good, I took a flier.

Again, there are so many good games that I've missed in recent years, it'll take forever to get caught up. And by then you guys will be all about RDR4 on the PS6... and today's games will be $10. Not playing online, I feel no urgency to be particularly current.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Incorrecto mah bookie.. PS4 is just as internet dependent as the Xbox, they both barely install off the disks, opting to download the updates. There will be games that require certain firmware on the systems to even run, its just the rule of the beast these days.

God of War is SUPER fantasy. Horizon is a psuedo future thing.. with robot dinosaurs. Not much traditional fantasy.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Oh, I'm not saying that the PS4 doesn't benefit from some internet. But I can take it to the office for big downloads, firmware. However, from what I've read, the xbox won't do shit without being connected pretty much at all times, as in it won't play jack squat offline for more than a few hours, even after installing the games. Supposedly the PS4 can play offline all you want... at least after you've got the games loaded/installed... until you get some new ones that need loading. But in theory most games won't come on the disc incomplete/broken.

I've watched youtube videos about people successfully installing and playing most games without ever hooking the ps4 to the internet. And the games that require firmware updates supposedly come with those updates on the disk... so in theory an internet connection *shouldn't* be required. But apparently you do have to do some initial patches to play dvds... hell if I know. You'd think by now, they'd have all the major patches preinstalled. I can't imagine the firmware on a new one today is the same as four years ago.

Regardless, I'm about to find out.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Welcome about the PS train, nacho! I considered waiting for a GoY edition of RDR2 as well. Sooooo glad that I didn't. The value is definitely there. Such a wow game.

What's this Project Cars game? The title sounds interesting if it's NOT a racing game.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
It's more like a simulator, but there is a heavy racing component.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/06/project-cars-review

"The Verdict 8.9/10
Deep and demanding but incredibly user-friendly, Project CARS looks great, sounds fantastic, and feels even better. The action is ferocious and tactical, the weather effects are awesome, and it’s brimming with content to explore. This is real racing done right."

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Just out of curiosity, are there a lot of car games that don't involve racing?

I like all styles of driving games. Sims like this are fun for driving real cars around real tracks. Arcade games are fun for dash, crash, and reset... and then there are the in-between games like NFS, which combine a bit of both. But I don't know of a lot of car games where you just roam the countryside.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So, has anyone discovered what happens to named horses in the wild, i.e. not stabled? I was on my secondary horse when I broke the Arabian, and my primary disappeared into the aether. If one of my two horses goes to the big ponderosa in the sky, will #1 horse reappear, or is too gone for good?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

I like all styles of driving games. Sims like this are fun for driving real cars around real tracks. Arcade games are fun for dash, crash, and reset... and then there are the in-between games like NFS, which combine a bit of both. But I don't know of a lot of car games where you just roam the countryside.
Look up Forza Horizon series.. 4 just came out.. there is racing, but it's also open world and you can just drive around and do stunts or tricks or whatever, or just admire the scenery. Great photo mode too for car buffs.

Gott strafe Microtransaktionen! God, this sounds like the complete opposite of "fun".

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/200179-red-dead-redemption-2/77246130
That seems.. unhelpful. Good thing I wasn't looking forward to the online mode.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
GTA? 😁

So, has anyone discovered what happens to named horses in the wild, i.e. not stabled? I was on my secondary horse when I broke the Arabian, and my primary disappeared into the aether. If one of my two horses goes to the big ponderosa in the sky, will #1 horse reappear, or is too gone for good?
Same thing happened to me. I never saw my primary freebie war horse again. 😟 Now I have the same breed, but he's as stubborn as an ox and I have no desire to go through the whole bonding process again. He fights me constantly which is why the fool is always running head first into trees. I'm trying to steer around a tree, he fights me and BAM!, Steve is whining on the ground. Idiot.

The online thing... is anyone in the gaming world surprised? Online gaming is the airlines of the entertainment world.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Anyone else find the cave system by Elysian pool/lake? I was up behind it looking for a dinosaur bone and literally fell into it. Trying to find my way out I found the hidden entrance...
behind the waterfall at the lake.
It's really cool, with "hidden" passages but I fell to my death a few times exploring. I was certain that you could get down to the bottom of a cavern...I was wrong. :headinsand:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
There is just so much I want to/need to explore in the world.. but fuck if I have the time. Just looking up maps for dinosaur bones/etc and it makes me weak in the knees.

Doesn't help that the rewards are usually money (useless) or some item (also useless).

I did a bank job and got like $3000! That doubled my cash I already had on hand. No way can I spend this kinda loot. It's like the opposite of the online nonsense. I almost wish you had to buy ammo more often, or buy new guns because yours break.. or.. something. I can't even hire pleasurable company!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I got a couple of creepy in-breeds come up to me at camp. Looks like I found another gang! Did the bounty in the old fort, where I got me the kepi/forage cap, the cavalry slouch hat AND the d-guard bowie knife. Back in the Big Sleazy, I got the ornate dagger, and took Mary on a date.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There is just so much I want to/need to explore in the world.. but fuck if I have the time. Just looking up maps for dinosaur bones/etc and it makes me weak in the knees.
Did you not catch the link KT shared a bit back? Very helpful at times. https://rdr2map.com/

Got my first legendary fish! ...while I already had the legendary moose pelt on my horse..DOH! Nowhere to put the fish. :headinsand: Had to reload my moose kill save, go get rid of that pelt and go back up re-catch the legendary steelhead. :grumpy:

So I found the Faraday cage? Can't do anything there so I suspect that it'll be part of the story later?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Probably could have ditched the pelt. They automagically go to the trapper once you harvest them. I imagine the fish might work the same way. Just go to the post office and send them off.

Edit: I just want to say, Not-Nikola Tesla's first mission was fun.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I did not know that about the pelt. Good to know however many legendary pelt trips later.

I KNOW that that doesn't work for the legendary fish. My horse actually fell down a hill and lost the fish unbeknownst to me. I didn't realize it until I got to the PO and tried to ship it. Went out and looked at my horse...no fish. Went and looked where my horse fell. No fish. Had to reload the save I made after I caught him. :shakefist:

That moose/fish situation was quite Three Stooges'esque.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I noticed him coughing when I discovered the meteor house. It was weird though because it didn't sound like it was coming from him. I was certain that I would find a guy hiding in a closet or another room doing the coughing..