Landlord/ Tennant advice

Mar 14, 2011
Atlantic City, NJ
So, our landlord has decided to evict us under an invented-claim of non-payment of rent rather than fix the laundry-list of severe problems in our apartment that are making it unlivable.

Since we want to move anyway, ...that in and of itself isn't so bad, but the fast-paced timing is particularly stressful. We have about a week to pack up the contents of a house and a toy store and move with no new apartment secured. We'd feel better if we could stall for more time to move but that is legally impossible without paying the sum he's claiming we owe, whether we owe it or not.

The idea is we pay it to stay and then down the line the court decides if he deserves the money or not. We're not destitute, but $2800 is more than we are now willing to invest in this sewer. Even if we get it back next week its not happening.

The landlord is a total scheisty fuck. He's only doing this because he'd rather kick us out and sell the house as-is without making repairs. He could have just told us that 2 months ago instead of pulling this bullshit. We've been sending him rent like there's no problem while he's not been cashing the checks so he can pretend we've not been paying. He has admitted to receiving at least 1 of the checks he's claiming not to so he's outright lying on his official complaint. We also found out this dump has no Certificate of Occupancy which means it was never up to code or legally livable and he's been renting it to us illegally for 6 years. On top of that we've have extreme conditions in here like no usable plumbing or heat for up to 2 weeks at a time, no window for 2 months, etc.

That all makes for a fairly good case, but even if a judge agrees with us, the alleged owed money MUST be paid same day, and then another hearing is scheduled to sort shit out. No way are we forking out another $2800 to live in this dump another day.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
Don't bother paying. If he goes to court for an eviction that will take a few months at least. Do you have kids? Check your state laws. Most states have laws on the books giving you a minimum amount of time to vacate the premises.

Mar 14, 2011
Atlantic City, NJ
Don't bother paying. If he goes to court for an eviction that will take a few months at least. Do you have kids? Check your state laws. Most states have laws on the books giving you a minimum amount of time to vacate the premises.
Most of that is thrown out the window because the owner "lives on site". He never gave us any Notices to Quit or Cease because he doesn't have to. And those notices are 30 days each. We have court on Friday then about 6 business days to clear out.

I have emails where the landlord states that he actually received rent that he is evicting me for not paying. And the fact that he's been collecting rent for 6 years on an apartment that failed inspection and never got a Certificate of Occupancy must have some bearing.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
Call your local paper or news station. They love shit like that.
This. News media on a slow day can really kick up a dust storm. They love shady landlord stories and love ruining someone's life like that. Plus, you can plug Solace by talking about how you are on the road some months playing in your band, Solace, etc.... ;) not to mention plug your toy store.

The news may even cover the damn store as a low income band member trying to make ends meet while sady landlord fucks them over headline..

Mar 14, 2011
Atlantic City, NJ
This. News media on a slow day can really kick up a dust storm. They love shady landlord stories and love ruining someone's life like that. Plus, you can plug Solace by talking about how you are on the road some months playing in your band, Solace, etc.... ;) not to mention plug your toy store.

The news may even cover the damn store as a low income band member trying to make ends meet while sady landlord fucks them over headline..
Wow! He's actually a known person in the area. He's owner of the.... are you ready? Philadelphia Gay News.

http://www.epgn.com/

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
See if Eddie can work something out for you. :D

It really depends on the state I think. I lived in a beat ass trailer that had windows that were screwed down and a heater and stove where the pilot light would go out all the time. On top of that the seldom times it rained I had a personal waterfall in the kitchen. I got a hold of the state senator and within a few days got a fluffing letter back saying that this will not be tolerated. Long story short, the place got inspected and is still being rented. Living in a tent was saver than that shit hole.

The news media would be a good thing if you can get them on the ball. Try to find the number of your local politician an see who you can get a hold of. It never hurts to try and get them to do their job even though they most likely won't. You need to act fast though since time is of the essence now. I always thought you had at least a 30 day notice legally but I don't know how they do things in dirty Jers.