LEGO Bionicle Protector of Jungle

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
That Figures: REVIEW: LEGO Bionicle Protector of Jungle

As the Protector of Jungle is the first of the new Bionicle sets I've Reviewed, I'm going to briefly touch on a few general impressions of the new line before moving onto the figure itself.

If the Protector of Jungle is anything to go by - and I don't see why he wouldn't be - then the revised Bionicle sets are a huge leap forward over LEGO's earlier constraction figures. By incorporating the new, free-moving joints, they've managed to really push the levels of pose-ability and range of dynamic movement the figures can reach. They've gone from being very pose-able figures to giving the Revoltech toys a run for their money. Seriously, they're that pose-able.

Whilst the biomechanical designs - and indeed, unusual color choices - may not appeal to all, if you're a fan of robots or mechanical figures then you'll find a lot to enjoy here. There's enough coverage from the ''shell'' pieces to make the figures recognizable as humanoid but the ''bare bones'' frame underneath really sells the idea of machine-men. I like that a lot.

As for the Protector of Jungle, from what I can gather he's one of the better figures in the line-up and so would serve as a good test subject if you're wanting to see what the line is about. Retailing at just $10 - which is about what you'd pay for a 4'' figure with a quarter the articulation of this toy - he's superb value for money. And sure, he may be slightly shorter than the $15 Toa figures or Hero Factory toys but even so, it's still a fair old chunk of figure for your cash.

But looking beyond that, what's even more impressive is the engineering behind this figure's construction. He's a superbly pose-able toy you actually construct yourself - and can then modify should you feel the need to do so. (Indeed, the intention is that you combine each element's Protector and Toa to create ''Powered Up'' versions.) He also comes with a working Gatling gun - which again, you build yourself. If you're an engineering nerd or you just like assembling stuff that works, then you'll really enjoy both the building process and, afterward, marveling at just how well the pieces work together.

And then on top of that, the Protector of Jungle is a great action figure. He looks awesome (albeit a very stylized look), is durable enough to play with (whilst retaining the ability to be reconfigured or even taken apart) and he's fantastically pose-able.

I have to admit that I go through phases as a LEGO collector. Some lines catch my eye and I'll enjoy them for a long while. Other times I'll walk the LEGO aisle and not see a single set that catches my eye. That's not the case with the Bionicle line, though. I've actually developed quite the obsession with these sets and am counting the days until I can get back to the store to pick up some more, as - if they're anywhere near as good as the Protector of Jungle (and I don't see why they wouldn't be) - then I know I'm going to love building, playing with and posing them. I'm already analyzing the other sets to look at their construction and how I could switch parts around to make my own figures. I haven't been that excited about LEGO in a long while and I'm sure, if you take the plunge, you'll feel the same way to.

A superb construct-able action figure that's both a fun build and a great toy. A definite must-have not just for LEGO collectors but also fans of super pose-able action figures.

FULL REVIEW AND MORE PICS:
That Figures: REVIEW: LEGO Bionicle Protector of Jungle

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Thanks for the review! My Boys loves Bionicles. I'll get them to read it.

From what I gather, this one is probably the best ''entry point'' to the new line, as some of the others are either not so well articulated (the Protector of Ice has no elbow joints) or have a more ''incomplete'' look (the Protector of Earth's back is open.)

I think it's a different matter for the Toa/Master/$15 figures, but I've yet to get any of them.