Life's Minor Annoyances That Drive You NUTS?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Bands without releases on physical media. This is generally reserved for real obscure, indie shit, and I realize that pressing CDs is expensive for independents, but I've nuked waaaay too many electronic devices to spend money on 0&1s media.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Bands without releases on physical media. This is generally reserved for real obscure, indie shit, and I realize that pressing CDs is expensive for independents, but I've nuked waaaay too many electronic devices to spend money on 0&1s media.
100% with ya. I end up going without a bands music if it's not available physically, which can be a huge bummer. I want to hold what I own.
To be fair, if you make a legit digital purchase through itunes or amazon digital, your purchase can be re-downloaded at any time. You don't have to re-buy anything if your phone/ipod/computer goes tits-up. It's all in the cloud.

I do not want to own physical CDs anymore. I have boxes and boxes of them that I'll likely send to the dump. Rip it and back it up. External hard drives and big flash drives are your friend.

Same with movies. I just ripped all my blu-rays, dvds, and recorded streaming shows onto a 5T hard drive. It's now connected to my bluray player, and every video I could ever want to watch is at my fingertips, all offline, taking up zero space. Best thing I ever did.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
To be fair, if you make a legit digital purchase through itunes or amazon digital, your purchase can be re-downloaded at any time. You don't have to re-buy anything if your phone/ipod/computer goes tits-up. It's all in the cloud.

I do not want to own physical CDs anymore. I have boxes and boxes of them that I'll likely send to the dump. Rip it and back it up. External hard drives and big flash drives are your friend.

Same with movies. I just ripped all my blu-rays, dvds, and recorded streaming shows onto a 5T hard drive. It's now connected to my bluray player, and every video I could ever want to watch is at my fingertips, all offline, taking up zero space. Best thing I ever did.
I don't have enough CDs for space to be an issue, and I don't buy them often. I am, however, discovering a lot of stuff that I'm liking, and it's practically all digital-only.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I worked at a digital download company you can only download the songs 7 times (they may have updated that since I last worked in that industry)

There is no actual media or broadcasting to support 4K so it's a bet to see if future tech actually supports it. As it is now cable companies aren't actually streaming HD feeds to you. Plus it's the aspect ratio that's really important since a lot of hd is still chopping off the sides of that widescreen movie but hey you paid an extra dollar to rent it that way :p

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Are they filming TV shows in cinema width now or something?
Traditional TV broadcasts in 4x3 ratio. All wide screen TVs support 16x9 ratio but movie can be filmed in several aspect ratios depending on the type of film.

So most current shows now film in the wider screen format because most TVs are now 16x9 & not 4x3.

Star Wars was filmed in a wide screen format so even in 16x9 the sides still get cut off.:trollface:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
The movies probably aren't a problem, it's TV shows. All I know is that the edges get cut off. I don't know what our TV is set on, I don't know the format or any of that. If I tried screwing around with any of that, the Tv would end up broadcasting in Spanish and only on every other Thursday, so I just leave it as-is.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I wanted to go see the new Blade Runner movie that came out, what, like two or three weeks ago? I finally decided to go and when we went to check the times....IT WAS GONE! WTF?! So my wife started checking ALL the theaters in our "local" area and the nearest one still playing it was an hour and 30 minutes drive away. With the movie being almost three hours, I was looking at a huge chunk (six hours) of my day being lost just to go see a dam movie. At first I was going to do it just to see it on the big screen, since I saw the first one on the screen as well, couldn't do one without the other. But then my son pointed out the six hour investment and I was like, "no, no thank you".

So, now I get to wait three months for it to hit DVD and watch it on a tiny screen that's 30 feet away like a chump. :(

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wanted to go see the new Blade Runner movie that came out, what, like two or three weeks ago? I finally decided to go and when we went to check the times....IT WAS GONE! WTF?! So my wife started checking ALL the theaters in our "local" area and the nearest one still playing it was an hour and 30 minutes drive away. With the movie being almost three hours, I was looking at a huge chunk (six hours) of my day being lost just to go see a dam movie. At first I was going to do it just to see it on the big screen, since I saw the first one on the screen as well, couldn't do one without the other. But then my son pointed out the six hour investment and I was like, "no, no thank you".

So, now I get to wait three months for it to hit DVD and watch it on a tiny screen that's 30 feet away like a chump. :(
?Blade Runner 2049? Is Disappearing From Theaters | IndieWire

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Me and a buddy were just talking about that yesterday. How movies disappear from theaters rather quickly nowadays it seems. We like waiting a week or two or three to let the crowds die down, but lately it seems doing that risks it not showing any longer when we're ready.

I guess if I have to choose between seeing a film in a crowded theater with a massive screen or watching it alone on my quite, comfy couch with a smaller but higher quality picture, I'll choose the latter.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Or the slow shoppers, they just take their time, walking along.

I also don't like people that have to have a cart just to have something to lean their hulking frame on...like it's too much work to stand up-right on their own. These same people are also usually slow shoppers.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I don't recall the last time I went anywhere that I needed a buggy... probably that time the wife sent me to costco? But yeah, there were plenty of fucktards unable to get out of the way, make a decision, or act like they'd been in public before.

This thread should just be re-titled "People suck. QED" or "I'm adopting seven cats and never leaving the house again"

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I was expecting two packages yesterday, both from Ebay. Tracking said they were delivered at the same time by USPS.

I get home....nothing.

So they either lied about delivering...and I have to ask "why"? Or they were delivered but stolen...which doesn't make sense because there was a package that was delivered...a very big package, and it was sitting there just fine.

My wife told me she had a package that was supposedly delivered on Saturday but didn't actually show up till Monday, so I'm hoping they just lied (even tough the packages weren't on any sort of "deliver by" setting...(not like they adhere to that anyway). So, do I wait and possibly screw up any sort of refund, or give it a day or two and hope they show?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I order a lot of crap, and I can't recall the last time I had an issue with any of the major carriers. But I have everything delivered to work, and I know my whistling postman by name. The beauty of a small town, I suppose.

But as a general rule, USPS does suck. I suspect my mailman is a throwback to a bygone era and not the norm.