Life's minor things that make you happy

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The little things, ya know? The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

:trollface:

Good ol' fashioned bush. Soda out of a glass bottle, which usually means flouncy boutique sodas or Mexican-made. A good night's sleep.

Last edited:

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Visiting our local butcher's shop.

We've only just started doing it but it's awesome. Not only does it save us about 1/3 on our meat bill (compared to when we shop at Publix) but we're also supporting a local business (which is good) and, best of all, their stuff is fantastic. Everything tastes so good.

Which makes me suspect it's mixed with human flesh or something.

dannyc

Resident Cuban
Jan 28, 2012
miami
ditto :lmao:
my gf we just started out dating kinda but her dad who's a history teacher at my school which is where she goes to classes too is really protective of her and he has not been told by her yet so i am trying to look as good as possible shaving and doubling my hygiene routine and just being my usual respectable self

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
The fact that today my wife cooked biscuits (from scratch) for breakfast and then tonight she's just made an apple crumble with custard (again, all her own work.)

And they're delicious.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
As cheesy as this sounds, waking up before my wife and seeing her sweet naturally beautiful no make-up face and crazy sleep hair gives me the most joy.

My cats playing with each other is also high in my list.

... Soda out of a glass bottle, which usually means flouncy boutique sodas or Mexican-made...
I like your style! F*%# off sh!tty HFCS soda!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds and smells that bring back childhood.

Like the smell of cinnamon bringing back the happiness that came with Christmas.

Or hearing one of E.L.O.'S late 70's hits and that bringing back waking up in the morning to my Dad playing the same song on the old turn table before he'd leave for work.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
Something not many here get to experience anymore, but legitimate small town parades with genuine patriotism when the flag bearers march. EVERYONE stands, is quiet and claps once they pass. People remove their hats, hands clasped in respect.

This town has the largest Labor Day parade in the central Il area. It's truly remarkable to watch and is reminiscent of the days gone by. It makes me swell up with pride to see there are people in this country who still care about what it means.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Sounds and smells that bring back childhood.

Like the smell of cinnamon bringing back the happiness that came with Christmas.

Or hearing one of E.L.O.'S late 70's hits and that bringing back waking up in the morning to my Dad playing the same song on the old turn table before he'd leave for work.
My toy room smells like plastic and it's a trigger smell for sure.

And yeah, ELO, Wings and Any Williams do that for me. Lots of memories of falling asleep in the back of the car after a day out with my parents and them driving home, listening to that stuff.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Something not many here get to experience anymore, but legitimate small town parades with genuine patriotism when the flag bearers march. EVERYONE stands, is quiet and claps once they pass. People remove their hats, hands clasped in respect.

This town has the largest Labor Day parade in the central Il area. It's truly remarkable to watch and is reminiscent of the days gone by. It makes me swell up with pride to see there are people in this country who still care about what it means.
Funny how this is a punch line to the power brokers on the coasts. Look at KIA lists sometime, they are mostly from little towns you never heard of.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Did you not have such a good childhood?

Mine wasn't perfect, my Dad was kind of a jerk, but there were moments that were good.
Nah, I had a pretty good childhood. I'm just saying that not everybody has fond memories to get nostalgic about.

Actually, making sure my kids have a great childhood is one of my top priorities in life. To me that is a gift worth much more than being rich and spoiling them with lots of stuff but never experiencing anything with them because of always being too busy with other crap.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
Assuming you had a pleasant childhood, you gotta love anything that brings you back to some wonderful old memory. :thumbsup:
I had a rough childhood as I've mentioned before, but there are some songs, as well as certain toys that bring back good memories.

Songs are weird in that way that when you hear it, you can actually remember vividly something significant that happened during that song. It's one reason I love listening to 80's music. Mainly because I could hear more back then and listened to the radio a lot. i used to keep a blank tape in the cassette player and as soon as a song came on I liked, I hit record. Sure I got the DJ's lead in or the station Identification jingle, but it was what i did. In fact, I STILL have several of those tapes and it's funny listening to the old stations that no longer exist.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I had a rough childhood as I've mentioned before, but there are some songs, as well as certain toys that bring back good memories.

Songs are weird in that way that when you hear it, you can actually remember vividly something significant that happened during that song. It's one reason I love listening to 80's music. Mainly because I could hear more back then and listened to the radio a lot. i used to keep a blank tape in the cassette player and as soon as a song came on I liked, I hit record. Sure I got the DJ's lead in or the station Identification jingle, but it was what i did. In fact, I STILL have several of those tapes and it's funny listening to the old stations that no longer exist.
I'm the same with old VHS tapes (not that I have a VCR now...) I used to record a bunch of shows and it was always cool to go back and see the old commercials. Hell, I still have stuff on my DVR from just a year or so ago and it's weird to see which commercials are still airing and which dropped off.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Just like the HBO intro, that thing brings back memories for anyone in the 80's as that was like a high time with family to watch a new movie on a Friday night. Can never remember what movie I watched, but that intro....

I still watch it on ebay from time to time just to reminisce a little. :)
My wife tells a similar story. Their neighbor was ''rich'' and had HBO so when they were kids/teens they'd go over and watch it at her house and whenever she sees the HBO logo it reminds her of that.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I have that HBO into in AVI. When I encode movies from the 80's, I always put it as the intro. Didn't matter what was going on in the house. When that intro hit, Dad turned it up so we all heard it and knew it was movie time with dad. Friday's at 8pm. Oh good times.

Hawaiin shirts make me smile too, they remind me of JAMS. JAMS and Parachute Pants were the shit in the early 80's!

Last edited:

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
My wife tells a similar story. Their neighbor was ''rich'' and had HBO so when they were kids/teens they'd go over and watch it at her house and whenever she sees the HBO logo it reminds her of that.
I remember when my dad got HBO, it was indeed like a luxury. Having cable was one thing, but HBO? holy shit! you were rich! lol

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I remember how every summer I'd get to spend a week at my grandparents house. One of the things I looked forward to was watching HBO as all we had at home were local channels.

I remember that intro as well as seeing how they made it. No CGI, it was all practical FX, and it was supposed to be like a giant satellite in space or something? And I got to watch just about whatever I wanted on it, my grandparents didn't really try to control that aspect. In fact, I don't think they actually watched anything except that one channel that was all text that advertised what was happening locally and gave a brief run-down of the weather.

I also remember staying with them one summer and whenever I did this, I'd get to buy a toy and this was when I got my first GI Joe toy, the VAMP with Clutch.

Spending a week in the summer with my grandparents, THAT kicked ass...but not just because I got a toy out of it or watched HBO.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I remember how every summer I'd get to spend a week at my grandparents house. One of the things I looked forward to was watching HBO as all we had at home were local channels.

I remember that intro as well as seeing how they made it. No CGI, it was all practical FX, and it was supposed to be like a giant satellite in space or something? And I got to watch just about whatever I wanted on it, my grandparents didn't really try to control that aspect. In fact, I don't think they actually watched anything except that one channel that was all text that advertised what was happening locally and gave a brief run-down of the weather.

I also remember staying with them one summer and whenever I did this, I'd get to buy a toy and this was when I got my first GI Joe toy, the VAMP with Clutch.

Spending a week in the summer with my grandparents, THAT kicked ass...but not just because I got a toy out of it or watched HBO.
Yeah. I remember a summer where my Grandma got me Superman Underoos. I wanted to wear them all week. Grandma always baked cookies and Grandpa would teach me a new card game or board game than shoot Basketball with me. I would help him and my Uncle (lived beside them and had a huge farm) with the horses and pigs. Once stables were clean, it was riding time. So much fun. They kept a Lone Ranger Mask and hat for me at my grandparents for when we rode the horses. lol. My Aunt or Grandma walked beside the horse and held the reigns for me when I was too little. My Grandparents and Uncle/Aunt were awesome. None of them had cable, just broadcast so never watched any TV there.

Last edited:
For myself as an avid online gamer, my poor old PS3 phat first issue finally bit the bucket, and died. My broke ass self just couldn't afford another one, even if I wanted one.

One one my Clanmates, out of the kindness of his own heart, because he missed my wife and myself being online with everyone, with his own money, bought us another PS3, and had it sent to us, just so we could play games with everyone in our gaming Clan, and join them again.

And we did, and much fun was had.

And so now the next gen consoles are out now, and everyone there is either PS4, or X-Box one, and have moved up. And they've asked me when I'm going to join them. I told them that we'd love to, but I only work part time now, and just can't afford it, but I'd buy both consoles if we could. But I'd get one as soon as we could.

One of our members there told me that she's about to start her job at Gamestop, and that she was going to start a cash pool from our members, and buy us a PS4, and have it sent to our house. So we could join them once again in battle.

All this, from people that we've never met IRL. Just fellow gamers that follow our common clan's belief in good sportsmanship, teamwork, and most of all; friendship.

Our members have also made us all T-shirts, and dog tags, all out of their own money, to share with everyone.

And I see that same kind of fellowship and friendship here. You guys are amazing, and I absolutely adore your banter back and forth here.
It's good to see such fantastic work, craftmanship, and fellowship online, and the respect you all have for each other. And how you all openly share knowledge with everyone. Meddatron, your sets are to die for. The way you designed your sets to be two sided astounded me, as a former professional commercial artist. I was just stunned at the level of your craftmanship. You, good sir, I applaud.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Getting a "thinking about you lately" text from an old flame out of the blue. Nice ego boost. :D
Wait, your ex-girlfriend has your cell phone number?

For myself as an avid online gamer, my poor old PS3 phat first issue finally bit the bucket, and died. My broke ass self just couldn't afford another one, even if I wanted one.

One one my Clanmates, out of the kindness of his own heart, because he missed my wife and myself being online with everyone, with his own money, bought us another PS3, and had it sent to us, just so we could play games with everyone in our gaming Clan, and join them again.

And we did, and much fun was had.

And so now the next gen consoles are out now, and everyone there is either PS4, or X-Box one, and have moved up. And they've asked me when I'm going to join them. I told them that we'd love to, but I only work part time now, and just can't afford it, but I'd buy both consoles if we could. But I'd get one as soon as we could.

One of our members there told me that she's about to start her job at Gamestop, and that she was going to start a cash pool from our members, and buy us a PS4, and have it sent to our house. So we could join them once again in battle.

All this, from people that we've never met IRL. Just fellow gamers that follow our common clan's belief in good sportsmanship, teamwork, and most of all; friendship.

Our members have also made us all T-shirts, and dog tags, all out of their own money, to share with everyone.

And I see that same kind of fellowship and friendship here. You guys are amazing, and I absolutely adore your banter back and forth here.
It's good to see such fantastic work, craftmanship, and fellowship online, and the respect you all have for each other. And how you all openly share knowledge with everyone. Meddatron, your sets are to die for. The way you designed your sets to be two sided astounded me, as a former professional commercial artist. I was just stunned at the level of your craftmanship. You, good sir, I applaud.
That's awesome Deslock. I've had people give me stuff a few times just to be nice....it's always kinda shocking, and I swore I'd never forget their generousity...but I'm afraid I've forgotten most of it at this point. :(