Marvel: Phase Two

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
With Iron Man 3 coming out in a few days and the release of the new Thor 2 trailer, I think we'll have a dedicated thread for Marvel's Phase Two. That way we won't clog up the Movie thread with tons of Marvel geekness.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Phase Two officially kicks off with Iron Man 3. We then get

Thor: The Dark World November 8th

Captain America: The Winter Soldier April 4th 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy August 1st 2014

Avengers 2 May 1st 2015

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Might want to change up the name to Marvel Phase Two...as some people don't even know that there was a phase one.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I'll consider it. Pretty crazy to me that people haven't heard that the Marvel Movies are being broken up into Phases LOL.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
*waves at Monkeywrench*

Thor: The Dark World looks interesting.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Yea, after the new trailer, I'm really stoked for Thor 2. Rumors have come out recently that Magneto's kids might be in Avengers 2. That should be interesting as well.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Ok, I know this might be a bit of an obnoxious thing to say, but I'm tired of Marvel. I don't care anymore, I'm bored with them.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Might want to change up the name to Marvel Phase Two...as some people don't even know that there was a phase one.

I'll consider it. Pretty crazy to me that people haven't heard that the Marvel Movies are being broken up into Phases LOL.

I agree with DD758!

You should stick this in the Marvel subforum to get some action there lol

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
It's funny to me that DC can't make a good superhero movie (with a couple of Nolan exceptions) while Marvel is pretty much can't-miss in recent years.

Yet on the flip side, when it comes to cartoons, both network and direct-to-video, DC knocks it out of the park while no amount of writing talent can make the Marvel cartoons watchable. The cancelled Avengers toon was marginally ok, but the spider-man, iron-man, and others are beyond terrible.

You'd think that both organizations with boatloads of money, talent, and experience would be able to do both media successfully, yet neither can.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
It's funny to me that DC can't make a good superhero movie (with a couple of Nolan exceptions) while Marvel is pretty much can't-miss in recent years.

On the Marvel Studios stuff, yeah, but there have been a lot of crappy movies based on Marvel properties in the last five to ten years.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, Daredevil and Electra were crappy, but the X-Men, Spider-Man, Cap, IM, Thor, Avengers... all really good. I even thought the Punisher films were well done (not critical successes, but exactly what I want from Punisher movies...) That's a stunningly good run of films, compared to DC.... two good Batman films mixed with terrible GL, Superman, and a whole lot of nothing. DC certainly isn't lighting it up.

I wonder if it isn't more inherent to their respective universes. Marvel is grittier, flawed, more reality-based. DC is more greek-idealistic god-like characters that possibly don't translate to the big screen but naturally work better in animation.

W.O. leroy

Enlisted
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
Really excited about phase 2. I went an saw Ironman 3 today and it was great! The Thor: The Dark World trailer looked great! News about Cap 2 with the Winter Soldier and Falcon has been great. The addition of Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver in the Avengers 2 is great. I don't know what else there will be between now and 2015 but I am super excited.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Did you forget how awful Ghost Rider 1-2 were, nacho? Or just block them from memory?

DC's just uninteresting as fuck. Besides Supes and Batman, they've got nothing.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Really excited about phase 2. I went an saw Ironman 3 today and it was great! The Thor: The Dark World trailer looked great! News about Cap 2 with the Winter Soldier and Falcon has been great. The addition of Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver in the Avengers 2 is great. I don't know what else there will be between now and 2015 but I am super excited.

Awesome!!!

Did you stay for the after credit scene?

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
DC for better or worse is owned by Warner Brothers, so they really can't shop around their properties without WB getting first shot.

WB has a history of not understanding properties or handling them poorly. (It really does come down to the production team, budget & understanding of the properties)
WB being a business will grab film rights first before selling them off.

Marvel saw what happened to DC along with their own properties daredevil, Xmen Fantastic Four. In which they really didn't have much say in whether the properties were being treated well along with control issues bewteen the different studios. This is why they formed their own studio dedicated to the Marvel properties.

Now Marvel has the resources to deicate to a proper Marvel film while DC is still contracted to a film studio that may or may not deliver.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
On the other hand, name a non-Nolan DC film that didn't suck donkey balls in the last twenty years. I dare you!

I liked V FOR VENDETTA, CONSTANTINE, RED and STARDUST, which are all technically DC properties.

The fact that none of them are even remotely superhero films should say something, though.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
and Supes isn't all that interesting either to be honest.

Superman gets a pass as he's the original Superhero. He's the archetype, so he's always going to have that. I think the story is intriguing, as it's a simple one. They just keep fucking it all up, and haven't made a really good Superman movie yet. That's why I'm hoping for a good "Man of Steel". He's fighting a villain that's worthy of being fought for once, and not lame-ass Lex Luthor. Zod is an actual threat, and even though Superman II showed a lot of that, it got really goofy due to the hand-off jugglefest between Directors.

Batman is their only property that I think has anything really deep behind it, which is why he's such a big draw for films, and where they've had their most success. He's dark, brooding, an anti-hero badass. And his rogues gallery kicks all sorts of ass. Bats has the strongest, most recognizable rogues gallery of any Superhero, I think.

Flash could be crazy awesome...
Yawn. "I'm fast in my jammies!" Superman does that, AND a bunch of more awesome shit. As a team member, Flash is remotely interesting. Otherwise, he's 1/10th of Superman.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
You clearly don't watch the new toons with him in it...the abilities they've given him are so freaking cool...the stories they could around them could be extremely fun...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I liked V FOR VENDETTA, CONSTANTINE, RED and STARDUST, which are all technically DC properties.

The fact that none of them are even remotely superhero films should say something, though.

That's a sad statement. Although Stephen King is known for horror, and the best films made from his books are dramas, not horror. Shawshank and Green Mile are two of my favorite films. And I'd consider them great films.

Don't get me wrong, his horror shit is creepy as hell. IT absolutely ruined my childhood (and clowns, forever, in general) after watching it.

Maybe DC Comics is better at... not-comics? :D

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
He's fighting a villain that's worthy of being fought for once, and not lame-ass Lex Luthor. Zod is an actual threat, and even though Superman II showed a lot of that, it got really goofy due to the hand-off jugglefest between Directors.

This. He's got an excellent rogue's gallery, and yet they keep returning to Luthor. The lame version of Luthor, no less.

I know the movie gets a lot of shit, but watch the end of MATRIX REVOLUTIONS as if it were Superman and someone like Zod instead of Neo and Agent Smith, and you'd have what we should be seeing in a Superman movie. Instead, SUPERMAN RETURNS gave us a rehash of the 70's Superman movie.

Batman is their only property that I think has anything really deep behind it, which is why he's such a big draw for films, and where they've had their most success. He's dark, brooding, an anti-hero badass. And his rogues gallery kicks all sorts of ass. Bats has the strongest, most recognizable rogues gallery of any Superhero, I think.

Agreed.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
You clearly don't watch the new toons with him in it...the abilities they've given him are so freaking cool...the stories they could around them could be extremely fun...

Meh, not interested in DC, not looking to get started now. If they're making them cool, then kudos to them. But as they stand in my mind, DC characters suuuuuck. :thumbsup:

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
You guys and your DC hating. Soooooooo many Marvel characters are rip-offs of DC, It can be said in reverse, yes, but not in the amounts that Marvel has stolen. X-men, Deadpool, Gladiator, Thanos, Red Tornado, Ms Marvel, Black Cat, Avengers as a group, Moonknight, Hawkeye are blatant rip offs of DC characters or groups. Just a few I could think of. I know Batman has another ripoff too but don't remember the Marvel Character.

Edit- I love the Marvel movies so I don't really care that they rip each other off. Marvel makes better movies so far by a longshot, but DC kills them when it comes to animated movies.

Last edited: