Marvel: Phase whatever it is now.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wonder what far-fetched plot device they'll cook up to defeat Thanos, even though he'd smoke them all thirty seconds after he got the last Infinity Stone.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I don't think there were any others besides those two...? Three a year IIRC and Thor 3 is this November. Logan was this year but I'm not sure if it counts since its not in the MCU. Did you see Dr. Strange? That was last year.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I wonder what far-fetched plot device they'll cook up to defeat Thanos, even though he'd smoke them all thirty seconds after he got the last Infinity Stone.
I'm guessing it will be fight the lessers then a giant game of pass the football with Thanos until someone gets all the stones. I' just can't see it working out any other way unless Thanos tortures them all for fun.

I saw Batman vs Superman is on HBO now, I might finally get to see that too.
Run, its bad so very bad, They fight a giant poop monster!!!!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I saw Batman vs Superman is on HBO now, I might finally get to see that too.
As long as your expectations are super, duper, duuuuuuuuuper

low, you'll be okay. All the negativity, you'll come away thinking "Well now that wasn't so bad."

Maybe read this first. deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

I'm more optimistic about the DC universe now that Snyder is out. I'm convinced it was all him keeping the property down in Eeyore town.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We've all seen this, right?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue80QwXMRHg[/ame]

I love love LOVE how much they play up the 80's music and such.

Also, Cate Blanchet...SCHWING!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The first two Thor films are my least liked of all the MCU films. I don't know what I'd place after them, but I KNOW, for certain that the Thors are at the bottom. The third one, however, looks to be far away from the others on my imaginary list. We'll see. Looks can be deceiving.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, come to think of it the first one wasn't great either. I kind of forgot about it to be honest.

I guess those are the only 'misses' so far, right? I think because so many of them have been great I just ignore the bad ones and pretend they don't exist. Iron Man 2 and 3 kind of fit in that category for me as well.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
What, no love for Eric Bana??? :trollface:

Sad to say it, but Hulk was ruined by the whole Bruce's dad portion of the plot. It would have been a Thor to Thor 2 level comic book movie without that nonsense. The military plot line was pretty nostalgic for me, having watched the Saturday morning cartoons of the Hulk during my childhood. Stan Lee narration for the win!!!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
You know, I am sure I watched the Hulk once, but other than him leaping around from rock to rock and smashing HMMWV's, I don't remember a damn thing. I don't think I ever watched Incredible Hulk or whatever the 2nd one was. Are they both MCU canon?

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Mostly takes place in Wakanda, which is a hidden African city that's leaps and bounds ahead of the world in technological advances. They also have pretty much all the vibranium on earth.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
What ever you do Do NOT look up the Blank Panther cartoon on BET. THAT shit is as racist as it comes, & really turned me off to the character.

Highlights: "We cured Cancer, but we won't share it because the white man might weaponize it." Hopefully Marvel buried that shit.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, in Thor, they had people of color there even though it was supposed to be all Vikings and shit.. will there be equal representation here?? I guess Gollum is a white villain, so there is that.

Seems kind of weird, but whatever. I don't get the rap use.. this is Africa not south central isn't it?

Will probably wait for video like I'd done with the last few Marvel movies.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The hip hop/rap/R&B use in this and Luke Cage actually came off as racist to me. It'd be like country and punk music only being used in predominantly white films. What's actually the case is it's just orchestral score with the occasional pop music. But black films have "black" music all throughout. Somehow that seems stereotyped and racist.

But yeah, when things (movies/TV/magazines/colleges/etc) are black, they are most often BLACK with no forced diversity because diversity has come to mean anything but white. So something that is all non-white, even if it's one lone race, is somehow diverse...and completely missing the meaning of the word diverse. But a historical movie that should be all white REQUIRES non-whites, even if it makes it inaccurate.

Of if some race swapping is done from a non-white to a white, it's the most evil vile thing ever and is lambasted by bloggers and writers and MSM and celebs and political people. Swap a white character to anything else or a male to a female and it's "brave, smart, right for the character, best move since sliced bread!" and you best not say anything to the contrary.

Eh, preaching to the choir. You guys know what's up. I just feel like this decades long double standard is creating a lot more bad than good. It's breeding a lot of underlying resentment. But then, that's the intention. :tinfoil:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

Alright! I was going to start a new thread, but waste precious threads when we have this here fine old thread started by G.I.*EDDIE zimself! This is the overall MCU thread to keep all the MCU nonsense out of the dedicated "Movies" thread, since there can be a lot that is JUST MCU related (rumors, trailers, etc).

First off.. say hello to your new Global All Time Worldwide Box Office Champion.. Avengers: Endgame!

Nice of them to do that, I've liked past ones where they congratulate each other.. but still nice to see some 'friendly' rivalry. Almost $3 BILLION dollars.. that is insane. I wonder what/when the next movie will be to unseat this? Feels like there was so much build up for this.. I am still kind of amazed AVATAR of all movies made so much 10 years ago as well.

So moving on.. we're in PHASE 4 NOW BABY! Tons of SDCC info came out from the panel about at least the next 2-3 years. Nothing conclusive, but they said they are working on a new Fantastic 4 and X-Men.. but they're probably a good 5 years out.

Phase 4 is now including the Disney+ streaming series.. which will be FULLY implemented into the MCU, unlike the Netflix and ABC shows in the past.

#1. Black Widow - Takes place after Civil War apparently, but before Infinity War. Deals with "Taskmaster", rumors that Hawkguy will be in it too. David Harbour (Stranger Things) is playing a Russian. Rachel Weisz (so hot in the Mummy way back when) is playing.. Iron.. Maiden? (I dunno).

My take: Kinda weird to do this after this (Endgame spoilers) dies in Endgame.. but I imagine they'll find a way to introduce new characters via this that will be important later? Will be interesting to see how self contained it is.. if it is, I might just include it in Phase 3 rewatches (in chronological order).

#2. Falcon & the Winter Soldier - Disney+! I think they said these shows are going to be like 5-6 episodes long, but basically have almos the same budget as a stand alone movie. Will be really interesting to see how this works out. Baron Zemo returns (from Civil War)! Not too much else is known, other than Falcon will be the new "Captain America".

My take: I like the idea, and the characters, will be interesting to see where they take this. Kinda surprised he's still called Falcon here and not the new Captain America.

#3. ETERNALS - Well, shit. Apparently they're going "full Jack Kirby cosmic" which.. means exactly zero to me since I've never read any of the comics. Lots of stars in this one.. Richard Madden (Game of Thrones) is the lead I guess. Angelina Jolie is also in this, and a bunch of other people. This will have the first DEAF superhero! (?) So far seems pretty diverse as well. Heard one of them is LBGTQ+, but not really sure yet. The full cast hasn't been announced yet.

My take: Never heard of them, doesn't seem interesting.. but fuck it. Marvel has my bow (and my axe). I'll give them the benefit of the doubt at this point until they disappoint. I read some of the Eternals lore on wikipedia and it seems crazy and weird but could be cool.. and I can see how they can potentially use them to bring in mutants to the MCU.

#4. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - What? Who? When? Why? Where? Talk about a deep cut. All the announced cast are Asian/Chinese, so maybe this is the Asian Black Panther? The Ten Rings have been little easter eggs in a bunch of MCU movies already.. and this is apparently going to have THE REAL MANDARIN (fake one was in Iron Man 3).

My take: Same as Eternals.. nothing about this seems interesting to me, but in Marvel I Trust.

#5. WandaVision - Another Disney+ show. Wanda (Scarlet Witch) and Vision (Vision) are in this.. but they're not explaining anything (I thought Vision was dead?). Supposed to be a super trippy show.

My take: Again, will be interesting to see if shows like this take off and how quality they are. Getting the 'big' name MCU people to do TV shows is a good first step. This will apparently tie directly into..

#6. Doctor Strange in the MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS (!) - A Wizard and a Witch! Wanda is confirmed to be a big part of this movie. It's supposed to be more of a horror movie too and the 'scariest MCU movie yet'.. which I am excited for. Wonder how they'll tie in the Multiverse.. since it was only hinted at/joked at in Far From Home.

My take: Looks good to me, I really liked Dr Strange in Infinity War and Thor 3, so more of that character seems good to me. I'm down for some scary shit and multiverse weirdness.

#7. Loki - Disney+! They confirmed this show follows the ENDGAME SPOILERS.. Loki that escaped with the tesseract when the Avengers went back in time.. so it's old EVIL Loki and not reformed, nice'ish Loki that died. I think that's cool, since they can re-do his arc again (but different!).

My take: Since this is coming out around the time of Multiverse of Madness, I wonder if they will tie together and if we'll get this Loki back in our timeline? I sure hope we see "Get help" at least once.

#8. WHAT IF...? - Disney+! First MCU animated series.. bunch of what if? Scenarios. First one is what if Peggy Carter became Captain America (Britain?) and not Steve Rodgers. Almost all of the MCU actors signed on to do the voices, so it should be good/interesting. I guess it's from the perspective of a WATCHER played by Jeffrey Wright (Westworld).

My take: Cool?

#9. Hawkeye - Disney+! Apparently this will have a "Kate Bishop" whoever that is? Supposed to cover his time as Ronin (During the blip?) as well as other stuff. It's almost 2 years away so who really knows.

My take: Hawkguy seemed pretty cool in Endgame, he could have some cool Arrowguy stories to tell.

#10. THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER - Whew, lads. Taika is back to direct, hopefully we get more Korg. I imagine this one is going to rile some feathers. Valkyrie is GAY! (and looking for her QUEEN, YAAAS SLAY!) THOR IS A WOMAN! Well, technically, Natalie Portman's character is returning and will be playing a.. Female Thor? I guess it's happened in the comics.. no clue. Assuming that MJOLNIR has to return somehow and she is deemed worthy?

My take: Whew, this one seems nuts. In Taika I trust though.. Valkyrie always seemed like she was kinda gay, so it's not much of a stretch there. Female Thor? Will be interesting to see how this plays into his character at the end of Endgame.. almost 8 movies/series between Endgame and Thor4, so I have to imagine he'll show up in small parts in the other movies.. the logo is so 80s, it's awesome.

Guardians 3, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2 and motherfucking BLADE are coming.. but they're further out apparently, along with Fantastic 4 and X-MEN. They said they have the next 5 years planned out already, which is nuts.. but.. the 23 movie Infinity Saga was something ELSE in hindsight.. so can't wait to figure out where they're going with these next movies.

No sign of the next "Avengers" movie either.. which is interesting.

Okay.. discuss!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I wish I was more excited than I am. I was excited for Thor 4 until it got woke. Now I'm not. I'm still a little excited for GotG 3, but have no idea where they'll take it. Hoping Thor (the real one!!!) will be in there. His interactions with the team are gold. If it's Asgardians of the Galaxy, I'm in! I'm a little excited for Black Widow, but don't know where they can take the character since she's dead now. Dr. Strange 2 might be good. I hope so. Otherwise, some of the Disney + stuff sounds good, but I doubt I'll be signing up for a new service just for that. We'll see I guess. Nothing else on the roster sounds that interesting. Maybe they'll surprise me like some of the previous stuff has, but I'm not overly optimistic, based on the general direction of the franchise post Endgame.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Disney+ is some ridiculously low price for like the first year, if they keep it cheaper than Netflix, AND you get all this AND all the legacy Disney movies AND Star Wars stuff.. no brainer.

Regarding the new stuff..

If you would have come up to me after walking out of Iron Man in 2008 and told me I could see either the future of Iron Man, or the future of Batman (Dark Knight was coming out 2 months later), I would have picked Batman 12/10 times. Now look where we are.

If you would have told me in 2008 that I'd care about the Infinity Stones, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr Strange, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, fucking ANT MAN, and more.. I would have said:

So.. I dunno, my mind is open. I had almost zero comic book attachment to these characters, so my love for the MCU is almost all MCU-based. I can't wait to see what's next.