Marvel: Phase whatever it is now.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, most definitely very high on the cluster meter. It's near incoherent at times unless you have your TV's brightness turned up to 11. And then you burn out your retinas when things blow up. Suicide Squad wasn't much better on that front.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
*dusts off thread*

So all the MCU movies are pushed back (with everything else)...

As part of Disney’s massive rescheduling, Black Widow is now hitting theaters on November 6, the date that previously belong to The Eternals. That movie, which sees the eponymous cosmic beings battling The Deviants, has subsequently been pushed to February 12, 2021, which is when Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings was supposed to come out. You can probably see where this is going.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will now arrive on May 7, 2021, with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness following on November 5, 2021 and Thor: Love and Thunder landing on February 18, 2022, a date that had originally belonged to an untitled Marvel movie. The third MCU-set Spider-Man movie is still set for July 16, 2021, although because that’s a Sony picture, it’s possible it could also be delayed, and the studio will announce as much at a later date (there was no mention of Spider-Man in Sony’s delays announcement earlier this week).
It's crazy, we're actually having over a year between MCU movies for the first time in forever. For better or worse we're really getting a big break/deep breath between Phase 3 and Phase 4.

IF things stand the way they are now, it'll be MCU mania soon though.

11/6/20 - Black Widow
2/12/21 - The Eternals
5/7/21 - Shang-Chi
7/16/21 - Spider Man 3
11/5/21 - Doctor Strange 2
2/18/22 - Thor 4

Sprinkle in the Disney+ shows and 2021 is gonna be crazy Marvel filled, hopefully it's good.

In other news.. with the quarantine in full effect.. I am doing the MCU marathon with the 6 (almost 7) year old. He only ever saw Captain Marvel, so these are all brand new to him. I did an abridged marathon before Endgame, but we're going to try and hit all 23 movies this time. We are on night 6, splitting them up to 1 a day instead of an all-day marathon, as I feel it sits better with you giving you time to digest them a little instead of one after another.

#1. Captain America - The First Avenger

I wanted to do this relatively in chronological order, as opposed to release order, with some exceptions. Captain America seems like a good one to start with since it takes place in WWII. Everything is "relatively" grounded. Kid was a little scared by the Nazi's/Red Skull, but ended up liking it. I really didn't like this one back in the day, but with the foresight of future movies, I actually have grown to really enjoy it.

The after credits scene is kind of out of place, since it seemingly takes place right before Avengers, but close enough.

#2. Iron Man

I was going to throw Captain Marvel in here, as it's the next one chronologically.. but I felt it was too Space-focused and doesn't feel right next to the other Phase 1 movies, which are all grounded on Earth. If I was doing a re-watch myself, or with people who've seen them all before, I'd throw it in, but since my kid is doing most of these for the first time, I'm staying a little old school.

Iron Man! The movie that started it all! It still holds up really well for the most part. Well paced, CGI is pretty damn good, and just amazingly sets the stage for everything (all the way to Spider-man: Far From Home). Not much more to say other than it's just damn good, and Marvel is lucky it turned out so well.

#3. Iron man 2

I know I saw this before, but holy heck.. I forgot so much of this movie. I didn't even remember Black Widow, or what the Russian did.. all I remembered were the bad drone suits. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Good setup for future stuff, SHIELD, etc. Not as good as 1, but very much par for the MCU.

#4. Thor

Decent. Some of the CGI isn't quite as good as the rest, Asgard looks a bit fake compared to seeing it in Thor: Ragnarok/etc. Acting and story are fine though, it actually went by pretty quick. In hindsight a little boring, but it's setting the stage for much better things. Surprised by Hawkeye's blink-and-you-missed-it cameo.

#5. The Incredible Hulk

Apparently they went on to say that Iron Man 2/Thor/Incredible Hulk all take place within a week of each other in canon, even though Hulk came out in 2008. I'd actually never seen it before, and didn't own it (ordered it digitally). It was... very ok. I didn't hate it, but it didn't really do much, and kind of jarring after being used to Ruffalo Banner/Hulk. Kind of odd that they totally put him turning INTO Hulk in the INTRO CREDITS.. it's like the ANTI-Ang Lee Hulk. The CGI is pretty damn bad, granted, it was 2008, but... meh.

Honestly I'd say it is really skippable. The after credits scene with Iron Man is worth it, but otherwise.. I don't know. I guess they're talking about doing more with some of the side characters, so we'll see. Thunderbolts?

Tonight is the first Avengers movie.. and then we get to Phase 2.

So far so good, hoping to keep it going and be done by the time we're let loose!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Looking back, I think I'd slot Incredible Hulk after IM2, and then watch Thor right before the first Avengers, since the after credit scene ties in right with the opening of Avengers.

#6. The Avengers

Still good after all these years. A little slow in the build up, but it's still great seeing the team coalesce and finally really be THE AVENGERS. Loki is great, I'm glad they had him stick around for so long (and now he gets a Disney+ show). MAN that Captain America suit is terribad though, it did nothing for his ass! It's extra funny now since they made fun of it in Endgame.

I am still amazed they managed to stick the landing with so many moving parts. The kid didn't even blink and eye with the Hulk actor change, I was impressed.

#7. Iron Man 3

You know, I really didn't like this one, but I think I'd only seen it once or twice, a while ago. Watching it again with fresh eyes.. it was actually pretty good. Probably the weakest of the 3 IM movies, but still solid and enjoyable.

The Mandarin thing is better in retrospect, especially since we now know they're revisiting the 10 Rings in Shang-Chi.. so hopefully we'll get some follow-up/clarification.

Planning on ol' Thor 2: The Dark world tonight... here's hoping it's better than I remember.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think IM3 is slightly less bad knowing they were headed in a direction with Tony's PTSD, but it will still not be an IM movie for me w/o some AC/DC, at least at the beginning. I also thought the super Pepper, suit destruction and arc reactor removal ending was terribad... And the villains were plot convenience fodder... And the usage and waste of the Mandarin (no matter how funny)... Yeah, I still hate it... :p

As for Thor 2, it certainly gets funnier when you remember Loki's play at the beginning of Thor: Ragnarok. Otherwise, it's still pretty meh.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think IM3 is slightly less bad knowing they were headed in a direction with Tony's PTSD, but it will still not be an IM movie for me w/o some AC/DC, at least at the beginning. I also thought the super Pepper, suit destruction and arc reactor removal ending was terribad... And the villains were plot convenience fodder... And the usage and waste of the Mandarin (no matter how funny)... Yeah, I still hate it... :p

As for Thor 2, it certainly gets funnier when you remember Loki's play at the beginning of Thor: Ragnarok. Otherwise, it's still pretty meh.
The suit thing really bothered me when I saw it originally.. but seeing how he still goes on to make a bunch of even better suits (including a proper Hulkbuster) it seems like it wasn't that big of a deal. Most of those were just various suits that he had been tinkering on to help himself.. they were not super special or anything.

The Super Pepper and all of that Extremis stuff was kind of.. ehh whatever. I don't think they needed to make it give people super strength. Super healing was good enough I think.

I think with the sheer number of movies now, no 1 movie needs to be so important, so it's easier to overlook some flaws, especially since we know how things turn out.

Curious how the new movies will be though.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I wish I were more excited. My impression is that we will be getting the second string for the most part, with a heaping side of woke. At least SW seems to have turned a corner with The Mando.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I wish I were more excited. My impression is that we will be getting the second string for the most part, with a heaping side of woke. At least SW seems to have turned a corner with The Mando.
Yeah, I don't know. I mean the original MCU heroes were the B-Team back in the day. People only cared about Spiderman and Xmen and Fantastic Four/etc.. and look what they did. Here's hoping.

#8. Thor 2: The Dark World

Again, better than I remembered and better than I was hoping. You're right the Matt Damon part of Thor3 really made that death scene funny... all I could see was Matt Damon. The 6-year old was legitimately concerned with Loki backstabbed Thor and cut off his hand and was going to hand over Jane to Malakith. I had to ask him "Do you remember what Loki is the god of?" (Mischief) so I had to guide him along a bit because he was really worried lol. He was a ltitle sad when Loki "died" and was legitimately surprised at the big end reveal.

I think this movie fares a lot better in hindsight since I think it's the first to mention the Infinity Stones and really start down the path towards Thanos.

Winter Soldier is next, and I always like that movie, it's in my Top 5 for sure.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, what got me chuckling in the death scene was hearing the score music again that was exactly the same as the choir was singing in T:R.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
#9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Still good/great. I really think the Captain America movies were the heart of the Infinity Saga, even if Iron Man started it all. The SHIELD/Hydra reveal was so good. I LOVED the Agents of SHIELD tie in too.. I remember waiting a few weeks to catch up on the show because I knew there was some sort of tie-in. I went home from the movie and binged like 5 episodes, it was glorious.

#10. Guardians of the Galaxy

Great, so much fun.. love the humor and charm. Was blown away in the theaters that it was so good.

#11. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2

Good, not quite great, but very good. Gives some much needed character growth to the characters, which pays dividends in Infinity War/Endgame. Having Stallone and Kurt Russell in it was just icing on the cake. There were SO many superstar cameos! David Hasselhoff alone made me like this movie.

#12. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Still the worst of the Avengers movies, but my feelings about it are MUCH improved vs how I felt when I saw it in theaters. A LOT of the stuff is directly linked to Infinity War/Endgame (and Civil War), so it makes a lot of sense now and fits in perfectly with the arc.. however at the time it just seemed like a weird swerve.

Ant-man is up next! I think we have 10 or 11 movies to go.. phew.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
#13. ANT-MAN!

Another movie that I thought for sure would be terrible, but went in seeing it because Marvel hadn't let me down. It was hilarious.. Paul Rudd is a treasure. Fun movie.. watching it again, it casually sets up a lot of important stuff for down the road. Also loved all the Avengers references hidden throughout.

One thing I didn't remember was the bad guy was going to sell the Yellow Jacket suit to a Hydra guy.. I'd thought they had all be removed by this point in the timeline? I guess not. Do we see them pop up again in the current timeline? It would make sense if they were still technically around. I think the Agents of SHIELD show paralleled this for a while and they were still kinda going at it with Hydra I think.

Next up.. Captain America: Civil War.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Ant man is far from my fvorite, but I found myself re-watching Anyman & the Wasp several times when it was on netflix. Funny feel good movie.
I don't think they did a great job with Hope in the first one, she was much better in the 2nd (as was his relationship with his daughter) but I think they kind of had to portray her as a cold bitch a bit for you to grow to like her.

I do like that it can kind of stand alone without being totally interdependent on other movies too.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I still don't find Hope all that likable, but I can see why Paul Rudd's character fell for her. In fairness, she takes after her father, who is likewise kind of a douche.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
#14. Captain America: Civil War

Another classic.. basically a secret Avengers movie, this one is still so good. Really this is the kicking off point that culminates in Endgame. So much going on in this movie. Zemo is kind of a so-so bad guy, but that doesn't even matter because you have the heroes going at it the whole movie.

Love the slow burn that tears Tony and Steve apart.

#15. Black Panther

This one slots in next because it follows up right after Black Panthers father died. This was the 2nd time I saw this movie, and I actually liked it more than I did the first time. A few things still stuck in my craw.. "Colonizers" is still retarded to put in there. Klauw or whatever could have been done a little better too, as I had forgotten the first time that he was in Age of Ultron. But generally it was still entertaining, and the bad CGI didn't bother me nearly as much this time. Black Panther hasn't had too much of an impact afterwards, outside of the final battle in Infinity War taking place in Wakanda, but I am guessing we'll see more of him in the new movies.

I was originally going to skip this one all together, but actually glad I watched it.

Spiderman Homecoming is next!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think I heard Zemo might be back in the Falcon/Bucky show. He was solid, but yes, underutilized. We all know he was just the vehicle to finish driving the wedge in the team. Hopefully some better development for him in the future.

As for BP, I liked a lot of it, politics or not, but also felt Klauw was way underutilized (wasted). I also thought the token white good guy was meh. As for the CGI, it's severely disappointing considering just how good it is in just about every other Marvel flick. It felt like it was done on the cheap comparatively. And it would have been much cooler if somehow they were able to to tie in Killmonger's weapon/hand to hand (SEAL) skills for the finale. I just felt like it was a pretty basic punch/wrestle/blade fight between what appeared to be slightly different hued twins. I just think he had more to bring to the table if properly done.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
#16. Spiderman: Homecoming

Pretty good, I wasn't a HUGE fan when this came out, and it's still not one of my favorites, but it is nice seeing the Iron Man/Spiderman relationship grow. Vulture was a pretty decent villain, I like that he wasn't 100% bad, and you can somewhat sympathize with why he started down that path. The high school stuff was hit or miss, I think they did a better job with that in Far From Home, but it wasn't terrible or anything.

#17. Doctor Strange

Pretty entertaining. I didn't like this one either on first pass. Man, I really wasn't into the MCU during this stretch. I saw Civil War in theaters and then the next one I saw was Infinity War, I skipped so many! Again, this is better on a re-watch considering Strange is better in the other movies he's in.. but has to start somewhere. I liked the themes/etc here.

#18. Thor: Ragnarok

ALWAYS a favorite. I still kick myself for skipping this in theaters. Just so much fun from start to finish. Love all the cameos and Hulk's the best here. And whew, lads.. Cate Blanchett looked damn good as Hela. Just a good fun overall move. I hope Thor 4 is like this, and I am guessing with Taika behind the helm again, it will.

Up next...

Trying to decide the final order I want to go in. I think next will be Ant-man and the Wasp, and then maybe Captain Marvel? I can't decide if I want to slot Captain Marvel in between Infinity War and Endgame, or do them back to back. Time-frame wise, it's in the past so you can really watch it whenever, but for a first time watcher, I don't know what would be more impactful.. the after credit scene in Infinity war where Nick Fury pages Marvel, and THEN Captain Marvel, or watch Captain Marvel first, and then it ties in when he pages her at the end of the next movie (Infinity war). I'm probably going to keep the after credit scene in Ant-Man and the Wasp until after the Infinity War snap.

Getting close now!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
#19. Ant-man and the Wasp

When I saw this in theaters I thought it was just okay. It was fine, but Jesus man we're in the MIDDLE OF THE SNAP. It felt too light hearted all things considered. Obviously it was a big part of Endgame (QUANTUM REALM!), so I understand why they did it.

That being said, it fits in much better right before Infinity War. I didn't show my son the after credits scene though. It's a fun movie! I hope they make an Ant-man 3 with all of them suited up. The giant and tiny stuff never gets old.

#20. Avengers: Infinity War

Whew! Still solid after all. I decided to push Captain Marvel back a bit, might do it last now. I don't know. The only Marvel movie he saw in theaters was Captain Marvel, so I might just show him the after credits scene before starting Endgame. We'll see. I do think Captain Marvel is probably best suited as the 2nd movie in the marathon once you've seen them all before.

Anyway, Infinity War was good. My son was super shocked by the snap. I love all the different stories finally coming together. Thor meeting the Guardians is always a highlight. Thanos is such a badass in this one. I also like how it really is the culmination of Captain America: Civil War.

I am thinking we'll do Endgame next, then Far From Home.. and then maybe circle back to Captain Marvel.. or vice versa.. since the Skrulls do play an important part there.. dang it. Okay maybe:

Captain Marvel after credits scene in modern day
Endgame
Captain Marvel (to frame the Skrulls)
Spider Man: Far From Home

Decisions decisions...

Can't believe we're almost over though, a full month of Marvel! Maybe we'll make it a yearly tradition.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
We recently rewatched IW and EG back to back. Both are still the epic icing on the cake! As for CM, I have no desire to watch it again. It was just meh. After so many other good movies from Marvel, it's a serious let down. I even enjoyed Ant-Man and the Wasp much more than that one.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Whaaaaaa?
Guessing maybe something like in Iron Man 3 where he put the President in the suit as part of a trick? Would have been cool to see.

#21. Captain Marvel

So I decided to toss in Captain Marvel last night, between Infinity War and Endgame. Release order seems to make the most sense here for someone who has never seen the movies before, since Infinity War ends with the pager, and Captain Marvel ends with the next scene, and her arrival in Endgame is more impactful if you know who she is. In future watchings, we'll watch it 2nd after The First Avenger.

It's still not my favorite movie, but I still don't get the unbridled hate it gets from some people. Her character isn't super likable, but she's really not supposed to be for 3/4ths of the movie, until she really remembers who SHE is (@ her friends house). The Skrulls are great, and seeing their abilities is key to getting one of Far From Home's greatest gags. Fury is pretty good, I thought his eye injury was kind of dumb, but also silly and why not.

I did like that in Endgame, two heroes that really took it to Thanos were Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel.. not because they're wimmin.. but because both of them got their powers directly from Infinity Stones (mind and space). I would think that gives them a leg up especially vs Thanos since a large portion of his power is from wielding the stones.

In the end I think it's a nice 90's sidetrack. Neat to see where the Avengers Initiative name came from, and fills in a little lore about the Tesseract & the Kree.

Up next.. ENDGAME. I've been looking forward to it since the beginning. On days when the kid isn't behaving we skip a movie, so that's happened quite a few times lol pushing this whole endeavor back and back. Hopefully tonight's the night!