Med's Latest WIP Dio

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Here is the latest dio i have begun. It will be for either Dreadnok pics or Friday the 13th pics. Heck any old house pics. So far it is made entirely of popsicle sticks and cardboard. I have a dirt base drying right now that it will be attached too. Also plan on making fences around it and I have not yet begun the roof, but enough of what is planned, here is what I got so far. The porch is yet to be attached as well so placement may change some.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Looking good so far, pretty good wood "weathering" effect. Are you going to do any "muddy water" brown washes to break up the gray/blue tones any? Not sure what your final effect is that you have planned, but that may help make it look even more realistic. Right now it's a very even weathering.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Yeah brother, That type of weathering I plan on doing almost last. So I can do entire dio at once. I also have yet to do a wet weathering for in between the boards to cover some of the cardboard seen between the cracks. Lots to do yet but having a blast getting it done.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
no worries brother, it's not meddling at all, Honest critiques is always a must for me. One thing i am torn about is whether or not i will have tree/trees in the dio, grass and weeds here and there yes, but was thinking about an old fallen tree. What do you think brother. Base has about 5 inches on either side and about 10 inches in the front. Filling in the dirt areas with objects that look like they belong is what I am having problems coming up with.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Some type of foliage would be good around this I bet. Not sure what you have planned but it looks like it should be in the woods and siblings should be dating. :p Maybe even a broken dead tree would be pretty cool on it. Some weeds and ivy around the building probably would add to the weathering you have on it. Is that a working door?

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
You read my mind. lol. The door is just sitting in there now. I have not yet decided if i will "hinge" it or not, It will depend on what i plan on doing with interior. Here are my latest pics. Still alot to do, more different types of weeds are gonna be added to the Green spots as well.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
What're those little grass clippings from?

I'd even venture so far as to say you could do a slight black wash in some areas, though don't get too carried away with it. Maybe top-down or bottom-up, or something? The added weathering/brown spots helps a lot though.

*On second look, the flash may be blowing it out some... You may not want to do the dark wash after all. Depends on how it looks in person. I can't tell exactly from the pics, now that I took a second look at it.

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
You have got to add some tires in there. Those assholes would have junker car parts all over.

Thought about getting an older-model truck (1:24 scale if you had to) or even some novelty lawn-mower to junk up and rust and put out there? That'd seem perfect.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Great idea on the tires, i was thinking a Generator on the right and maybe some barrells, but tires are pure win! Thanks. Got a crapload of my kids old broken cars toys in the attic. i bet i could find a few there.

The grass clippings are from an old fake christmas tree, a little trimming and they work great. The few dying ragweeds (tan stalk plants, whatever they called) are the ends of a really abused broom, The tweed frays at the ends after a while and looks just like them to me. I try to make all my dios out of what others see as junk. I get a greater satisfaction of turning crap into something semi-cool. Not to mention its cheap that way. lol.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The old tree idea is great! I may have to hoard some clearance Christmas items this coming year after Christmas and steal that idea. They always have some small greenery bits and ends that would work great and not take up that much space.

The broom bits are also a clever idea. Old crap is a great source for dio parts, I'm getting a bit tired of spending money on craft items. Old foam cushions pinched off into tiny bits, and painted green, would work great for moss. That's essentially what you buy bagged at craft stores (although it comes pre-shredded in fine chunks, which saves that effort).

Barrels would be a good idea too. Whatever "junk" can be in the yard, I'd say try and work it in. The Dreadnoks are not tidy people. You can probably also find some good old rusted sign images online that would work, too. All you'd need is to print them out onto cardboard or styrene and glue them on, or even laying around. They probably steal roadsigns and use them for target practice, too.

Captain Carstein

Let's dooooo it!
May 3, 2011
Minnesota
Awesome job on this!

My one suggestion for the last pic is that you need to include Monkeywrench's young Asian male companion. I don't think he goes anywhere these days without him. ;)