Mezco One:12 Collective G.I. Joe

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Destro just went up for preorder today....

G.I. Joe One:12 Collective Destro (bigbadtoystore.com)

I put in for one at BBTS. I typically don't like 1:12 figures with cloth clothes, as they look bulky, unnatural, and remind me of cheezy Mego figures from the 70's. That being said, I expect that this line will never get beyond a dozen figures, and I have no doubt they'll make a few I like, thus triggering my collecting OCD. I'm not 100% sold, but I suspect I'd regret passing on it after a few more come out.

If we don't get a classic Flint and cleavage-y Lady Jaye before it's all over, I'll be most disappointed.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mezco 1:12 Roadblock just went up for sale yesterday, exclusive to their website. He looks solid. Includes gear to give him a v1 or v2 look (the v2 vest would appeal to the modernists amongst us), three heads, lots of hands. Roadblock isn't my favorite Joe character, but I already have Mezco Destro on PO, so I suspect I'll be going further down this rabbit hole and would regret passing on RB.

One:12 Collective G.I. Joe: Roadblock | Mezco Toyz
1625152521961.png

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's a pretty cool figure! I'm glad I went to see all the actual stuff he comes with. The ammo belt and box, (yes) the vest and even the "flashes" add some realism appeal for sure. And the volume of gear is significant. I like that he is outfitted in subdued colors as well. I would never go the cloth option for the pants and such, especially for this scale. It never looks properly scaled, even at 1:6. Will I ever buy a $100 6" Joe? Probably not, but I can certainly appreciate what's cool about these!

As for Destro, I'm not a fan of meldy metal cartoon face. There is only one version of the head I would use, and, unfortunately that one is equally impossible, as he would suffocate without an airhole... Metal head needs to be metal. Otherwise, he's just the Joker with silver spray paint.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I've always had an anti-cloth stance on my figures. I agree it never looks 100% right. Yet I find these joes uniquely compelling in spite of the doll clothes. The attempts to appeal to ARAH purists and modernists, all the extra portraits, hands, and gear make these appealing to me. I definitely won't be a completionist with the line, as I don't need a $95 Frag-Viper or Leatherneck, but I'll be hard pressed to skip the O13, Flint/LJ, and the core named Cobras.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I get what you are saying. These are most definitely more true to the roots and retro style. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a few characters in this style. But for me it just comes down to the price, the cloth and some of the less realistic aspects keeping me from jumping in. Truly, it's mostly the price. I could rationalize the rest of it :LOL: . But that's probably good, as I can stay focused and concentrate on the Classified figs I like, and maybe keep a few extra bucks in my wallet for when I am stuck paying too much.

I'm glad these are being produced, and I do think they are awesome in their own right, but am also glad it's by another company, as I am keen to keep Hasbro engaged (I wish only) on the Class series.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I could see this line giving us some characters hasbro might never get to, and that would be cool. Imagine a Mezco Chuckles with an actual Hawaiian shirt! It would be the one time cloth would be welcomed. Sadly, they'll probably quickly fall into the Duke/SE/CC/SS spiral of boredom that every Hasbro line quickly suffers from. But the fact that the first two releases avoided that trap gives me hope.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

Sgt301

Oct 20, 2018
The only way I’d get a cloth uniformed GI Joe is if they made the original painted hair 1964 type Joe in 1/12 scale. I’d take out a second mortgage 💸

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Even as a kid, I wondered exactly how that worked. I finally came to the conclusion that it was the same pseudo-science that allows Colossus to be made of "organic steel" and still move like a human with skin.

Mostly it's best not to think about it. The same way I never understood how a lightsaber knew how long to be. It's a beam of light coming out of a handle, but what makes it stop 42" later? Why doesn't it keep going? Why not 10 feet? A mile? At some point, suspending your disbelief is your friend.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Looks to have potential. Seems like there are a buttload of Joe toys dropping now or in the near future. I wonder at this point if the market can support all this...