Modern Warfare

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I saw some video of part of the campaign and it looks epic! If I were a pure first person twitch shooter, I’d be all over this. Unfortunately, the multiplayer will be more of the usual, and not my cup of tea.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I only play them for the campaign which is probably why I’ve disliked/skipped the last several. I never finished the WW2 one I have and can’t even remember if it’s COD or Battlefield. I hate when they become shooters on very specific rails while not telling you what you need to do to move on to the next part, so you keep failing and replaying the same 5 minutes over and over.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I always loved the campaigns in the COD:MW titles. Black Ops was pretty good too, for a period piece. I remember vividly how MW2 captured the "McMansion" towns around DC and how playing it felt like you were fighting for your homeland. Since I don't have the platform for the latest titles, I've tended to just watch a pro play some of the better ones of the last few through on youtube. I get most of the enjoyment without the time or expense of actually having to do it myself.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'm purely a stand-alone campaign, off-line player, and I love games with good single-player stories. Historically, I've been a PC gamer. I still enjoy my umpteenth go-round with the Half-Life franchise. But I can't find the time anymore.

I suspect I'd like these games a lot with proper controls, but I'm coming to the conclusion that PCs have ruined me for console shooters. I'm going to stick to racing/car games on the console.

However I look forward to the steam sale three years from now when this version of MW is sub-$20, and I'll be all over it. ;)

Last edited:

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'll never understand why people prefer to use a mouse cursor as their targeting tool in shooters. Point and click killing just seems fake to me. I much prefer having to push the sticks to aim at my target since it emulates the time it takes me to swing my rifle in real life. It only makes sense if you are a competitive multiplayer where score > experience.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm also a console guy and it drives me nuts to see a video where something like a tank turret swings around in the time it takes a mouse to twitch. I dunno if there's normally some kind of lag that should be taking place and the dude just had his settings somehow maxed plus or what, but it completely took the realism out of the experience and made me understand why "master race" PC gamers dominate in any head to head shooters.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I've been forcing myself to wait for this one. I spent really money on Breakpoint, so I'm forcing myself to play through that and wait for a Black Friday sale for CoD. My friends have gotten it and said its really good.. so I'm excited to try it out.. but I've finally developed some sense of patience in my old years.

With Xbox Game Pass I have approximately 298347 games waiting to be played for free, along with all the games I bought and haven't finished yet.. so I've been trying to stop "Day 1" purchases at full price. I LOVED Wildlands, so I thought Breakpoint was a sure-fire win.. damn it. Fool me once..

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'm only $60 into Breakpoint, so will set it aside until they fix at least some of the game breaking issues for me. Sure I'll mess around with faction missions while waiting when I feel the itch, but no way I'm touching the campaign until the looter shooter system is abolished. I'll use Modern Warfare as a way to bide my time until then and maybe even go finish WWII and RDR2 if Ubisoft takes awhile.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
COD: IW was basically the best Halo I've played in years. It was future enough where the advanced tech made sense. They did a lot of creative things with the campaign, and you got to fly space ships!

COD: Advanced Warfare was the one with the exo-suits but still 'modern' day and it was ridiculous with all the bouncing around.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Hahaha, I'm just enough older than you guys that I hit the busy phase of adulting before that stuff showed up, and thus I never got sucked into it. In my world, the best multiplayer games are still Unreal Tournament and Counter-Strike! (honorable mention to NCAA Football '99)

p.s. - get off my lawn!

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Hahaha, I'm just enough older than you guys that I hit the busy phase of adulting before that stuff showed up, and thus I never got sucked into it. In my world, the best multiplayer games are still Unreal Tournament and Counter-Strike! (honorable mention to NCAA Football '99)

p.s. - get off my lawn!
I'm '75. Only multiplayer I ever got into was the first Halo when you could play split-screen or drag your xbox over to a buddy's house to wire together and then Halo 2 or 3 when it finally made it onto Live. No campaign, no money from me (except that one time I bought Titanfall because it's everything I ever wanted from a mech game except I never enjoyed it due to online only).

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Ok, not much different then, I'm a late '74.

PC gaming in the 90's was awesome. We were a bunch of poor nerds that couldn't afford consoles in college, but we had to own computers, so that's where the fun was - plus we had a buddy who could telnet and get games for free, a full decade before anyone ever heard the word "torrent". Plus, you could usually get your parents to pony up for new parts. "But dad, I really NEED that new 50MHz CPU with the math co-processor... to run MATLAB. It's for school!"

Then just out of college, 1st good job with disposable income, still living with your roomies, no responsibilities after work. We had a LAN in our apartment when most people still had no clue what a LAN was. And it was a competition to see who could build the best custom gaming machine out of parts, no ordering a box from Dell allowed. (I won... until after a few months it started overheating, had to open the case and keep a large box fan blowing in the side, hahahaha)

Then we moved into a condo and had LAN parties with 6-8 people playing Half-Life and Unreal multiplayer across three floors. Mind you, this was when internet was still dial-up, no broadband. CAT-V cables down the stairs, cables out the windows... playing all night long on weekends. Now it just sounds tiring, but back in the day, it was great!

Consoles were just for computer illiterate chumps ;) But now I'm lazy and don't want to upgrade my PC every 6 months, so a console was attractive. And I'm sure it'll be great when I play all those car games I bought...

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The 90's were all flight sims, sub sims, helicopter sims and anything with the Command & Conquer brand for me. That 386SX was blazing fast, 256 colors!!! The days reloading Windows on 20 3.5" disks was done for fun. After high school I didn't touch a computer or console at home until I built one in '98. Unbelievable I went those 5yrs unplugged.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
You old farts!

I was always ahead of the time, at least according to kids my age (80). We had a 286 (!) at my Dads house. The nasty green color monitor, 5 1/4 inch floppy.. the whole works. I could only play a couple of games, but it had a modem so I could use telnet to get to BBS's and play door games and stuff..

I think my first PC that was my own was a crappy Packard Bell Pentium 66. I had Macs before that. But the neighbors up the street were your guys' age and I always hung out over there while he was building his PC. Remember playing Wing Commander III on a 386DX40 that was running about as fast as technically possible. He had an external 2X CD-ROM drove that was just magical.

I loved PC gaming in the 90s, and early 00s, but once the Xbox came out, it was just so much easier to play on console. The 360 solidified that fact, and at the 360 launch, there wasn't a huge discrepancy between PC and console for most games. PC is best.. but expensive to keep upgrading and just more work than I'm into these days.

LAN parties were the shit though. Around the turn of the century (lol) I used to haul my big ass tower & heavy ass CRT monitor a couple towns over once a month for a big LAN party in a friends garage. We'd all play Battlefield 1942, Operation Flashpoint, Unreal, etc. It was killer, I think we had like 12-16 people there usually.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
1572554913924.png :troll:

I got a Commodore 64 with a bunch of 5-1/4 disk games at a yard sale back in the 80's and played those for a while. I remember such fun titles as Firefox, Canyon Run (?), Spy Hunter and some Ace Combat style game among others. Once I hit college, I picked up a Sega Genesis and never looked back. I played the heck out of that - NHL series, some tank, jet and helo sims and a few others. Then I graduated to PS1 with some fun titles - NHL of course and some kind of Apache helo game come to mind. I eventually had to give that up (addiction, dontchaknow?). Met my wife, got married and (after a few years) started having kids - I didn't play significantly for years. I had picked up a Dell and played very little USAF a couple times, but that was it. I had other priorities at the time.

Then a guy at work said I needed to check out Battlefield (which apparently they played at my office on lunch). I never joined them, but did pick up a PS3. He gave me MW2 and Need for Speed. Re-addicted! Lots of MW2... BlOps... MW3... and then Battlefield 3! I still play BF3 to this day. It's pretty much the only thing I play.

We got a Wii for the kids which we all played a little. Then we got them their own PS3 with Minecraft and Disney Infinity. They'll still play DI once in a while, but the PS3 is mainly a BluRay player for us now. My son has a PS4 with Fortnite, Destiny and Minecraft. He is also addicted so I have to keep and eye on him (and make sure he eats and sleeps :p). The girls play cutesy stuff on their ipads, but they don't seem to have the gaming gene.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
My dad was a self-taught nerd. We had Tandy TRS-80 mk I (magnetic tape drive), II, IV, XII (dual-slot 10" floppies). He paid 10k for the first one in the late 70's. First home computer in the county, programmed it himself using original BASIC. But he claims he made a fortune with it when no one else had such a beast, using it for mailings and amortization schedules for the real estate/construction business. He was locally famous for the novelty of it all.

My first was an Apple IIgs "Woz Edition". Carmen Sandiego, Chuck Yeager Flight Sim, VGA drawing programs. But I was always jealous of the PC games at the mall stores. Finally got a tolerable PC when I went to college. PC gaming in the 90's was just too much fun. X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Syndicate Wars, original Wolfenstein... every minute of dorm life when we weren't studying or chasing girls was devoted to those titles.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
TIE Fighter remains one of my favorites. How they haven't made a successful sequel all these years later I will never understand.

X-Wing vs TIE Fighter was okay, but it wasn't the same. Those 90s Lucasarts games were something else.

I was definitely a C&C fan, or any real time strategy. Strategy in general was my cup of tea. Panzer General II still gets replayed from time to time here.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Modern Warfare is the most fun I’ve had in a shooter in many years. The story flows better than I remember the others doing and it plays out like a Tom Clancy movie. Mixes up the action from grunt to RC bomber to Apache gunner enough to not get stale. Cutscene acting is AAA. Just what I needed after the Breakpoint letdown.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Ok, I pulled the trigger over the weekend. @ full price too. Such a schlub. Couldn't hold back any longer.

Played a couple of MP rounds, I sucked, it moves so fast and I'm so old. Gonna take a bit to learn the map and all the new features/etc.

Single player is fun.. I don't know how far into it I am. I finished the "20 years ago" mission, that was a trip, especially from the viewing angle. It does just play like a big action movie. Voice acting & mo-cap is really well done. I'm not sure who the resistance fighter is, but she's kinda cute.. in a terrorista way.

Need to do the co-op missions!

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
You have 5 missions left and 3 of those go really fast. What do you think about the night vision house raids? The graphics really suck you in and the use of women and children makes it a bit too real at times. Playing those levels with 4K VR goggles might give me a heart attack. No freaking clue how they talk our young soldiers into clearing a house like that.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

They are pretty intense. They do a good job with the civvies sometimes picking up weapons too.

I don't think it's really a negative, but some of the stuff is so realistic that it'd hard to see the enemies and where they're firing at you from.

I'm playing on "hardened" difficulty and it seems about right, there have been a few spots where I died a bunch of times before moving up far enough for a save point.

COD is really it's own little genre.. as you have very little freedom to do anything really, it's almost on-rails, but it's so tight and well-paced that you don't really realize it when playing.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
They definitely lightened up on the rails this time. I remember them getting heavy handed around MW3 and especially with WWII where you get to the interactive scene and they force you to do a very specific sequence whether that’s your playing style or not. I did not feel forced to run and gun in this game at any point.

I still can’t figure out what the hell WWII wants me to do at the clock tower 3 missions in, so I just walked away after trying it 20 times over a couple nights.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

BO2 was fun.. it was like 'future' but like 2024 in 2012 or something, so just lots of drones and stuff, but still grounded.

Advance Warfare went the exo-suit nonsense. I don't know if I ever got MW2. I ended up not being happy with the MW2 story, so I kind of gave up for a while. I just re-read the summary and yeah I think I felt like it got too wacky with the Russian invasion of the US and stuff.

Oh.. I forgot about COD GHOSTS.. man that game sucked. I think I finished the whole thing too.. ugh.