Movie Discussions

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I was asking my friend if he saw it yet, and he said no, and I said it was getting super high reviews...

Yesterday Rotten Tomatoes had it listed as THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE

https://movieweb.com/black-panther-movie-tops-wizard-of-oz-best-movie-rotten-tomatoes/

Seems they 'fixed' it overnight (racists).

Anyway, we started wondering if the high reviews were from people who knew they'd be labeled racists if they didn't like it, or even if they said it was OK but didn't love it (racist!).

I want to see it, but I still need to see Spider-man and Thor 3, since I missed those two (I'm racist against whites!) as well.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You're an equal opportunity racist! You bastard!

Thor 3... (y) Big dumb fun!!!!

Spidey... :unsure: I thought it could have been significantly better. I almost gave it a (n)

I'll see BP at some point. I'm not rushing out because if there are two things I hate they are: 1. Obvious propaganda (at least make it hard to detect. 2. Overhype. I'm afraid this one probably has both...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Did you guys not hear about the RT hoopla surrounding BP? There was a DC fan group that was butthurt over all of the negative DC film scores, most recently Justice League, so they came up with a plan to downvote it out of spite. Of course the media and everyone and their mother turned it into a racist plot to grab headlines and garner virtue signaling support. RT said that they'd veto any bit of negativity. Review or score. Then every single media outlet started labeling BP the 2nd coming of Christ.

So now it's impossible to trust the reviews. Honestly, I always thought that it would be. How can you trust a society that lies to make themselves feel better about themselves? Same thing happened with Wonder Woman. "A women led film and directed by one?! BEST THING EVERRRRR!!!" :whatever:

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I mean it sucks when you have a group that says they're purposefully downvoting it (even if its good) because they're DC fans? Fuck those guys first.

Fuck the other people too, but a lot of this stuff doesn't exist in a vacuum, so we need to make sure we properly tell both sides to fuck off. I am CERTAIN there are actual racists who would downvote it for no other reason than to be racist (and others who would upvote for the same reason).

But yeah, reviews mean shit these days regardless.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I heard WW was great so much, I couldn't help but go in with higher-than-I-should-have-had expectations. It was a let down, not a BvS level letdown, but yeah. Of course, as a DC property, I should have known better... :troll:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You just encapsulated why Nolan's version was better - better villains and only the necessary CGI. DC has not been able to come close since.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a couple movies while flying (and being delayed by United - becoming a ugly reoccurrence):

Dunkirk - unfortunately not nearly as awesome as I think it could have been. Must be better on the big screen with good sound. I suppose I had bought a little into the hype, but it just seemed much smaller than it could have been.

Darkest Hour - Oldman was so over the top that sometimes it seemed to be poking fun. Unfortunately, by the time I got to it, it was late and I'd had some wine. I didn't make it all the way to the end. I don't see it being a movie for the masses. That much is certain.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Dunkirk is just not good. Has nothing to do with the screen size. Both me and my dad thought so. It's incredibly anti-climactic. They knew it was boring so they made it nonlinear to try and make it unique.

EDIT: IMO

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I liked Dunkirk, left the theatre shaking with ptsd. It’s one of those war films that just isn’t going to have the same effect at home unless you have a system that makes you feel the Spitfire engine in your chest.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It’s slow and extremely cinematic, so might be boring if in the wrong state of mind, but in the theatre the tension never really left you. Now that I think about it, it’s the new Blade Runner of war movies. Definitely focuses on the human element over the actual fighting.

The one thing they did not do was bring in any part of the German side, so if you do not know the history it might not have the same effect.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So we've never watched any of the Harry Potter movies nor read the books despite every person on the planet jizzing their pants talking about them. We just never had any interest. No appeal to us, much like the PotC series. But we got bored enough to check them out and we are three films deep. I've fallen asleep at some point watching every one.

No offence to those here that blow loads in their pants for them, but I just don't get it. I'm bored to tears despite all of the ridiculousness. I feel like I'm watching a book writers thought process of what wacky thing to do next, on screen. "Okay.. okay.. what next? Oh! How about some plants that scream if you hear them...."

I don't know. I'm sorry. I should've just went with my initial instincts. I was thinking it would get better, but so far, nope. Oh, I also noticed something that smacks you in the face HARD. By the third movie, they went overboard with diversifying the school. The first two seemed to represent reality much more accurately. The third one was like some mandate from hell came crashing down on the casting people. "More MORE MORE MORE people of color!!!" :rollingeyes:

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That's racist! :p

Never sat through a complete HP movie either. I started watching one (can't remember which on it was) once when that was the only thing on at a cheap hotel in Sydney a while back. I likewise fell asleep and haven't really had a desire to watch any of the others at all since.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So we've never watched any of the Harry Potter movies nor read the books despite every person on the planet jizzing their pants talking about them. We just never had any interest. No appeal to us, much like the PotC series. But we got bored enough to check them out and we are three films deep. I've fallen asleep at some point watching every one.

No offence to those here that blow loads in their pants for them, but I just don't get it. I'm bored to tears despite all of the ridiculousness. I feel like I'm watching a book writers thought process of what wacky thing to do next, on screen. "Okay.. okay.. what next? Oh! How about some plants that scream if you hear them...."

I don't know. I'm sorry. I should've just went with my initial instincts. I was thinking it would get better, but so far, nope. Oh, I also noticed something that smacks you in the face HARD. By the third movie, they went overboard with diversifying the school. The first two seemed to represent reality much more accurately. The third one was like some mandate from hell came crashing down on the casting people. "More MORE MORE MORE people of color!!!" :rollingeyes:
This is definitely a case of the books are better. Stuff was removed, missing characters, events changed. Typical Hollywood shenanigans (pistol whip!) As to the diversity, have you seen footage from London lately?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
This is definitely a case of the books are better. Stuff was removed, missing characters, events changed. Typical Hollywood shenanigans (pistol whip!) As to the diversity, have you seen footage from London lately?
I have. :cry:

It was just a jarring difference from one film to the next. Maybe it was more noticeable to me/us because we watched the films with only a week in between as opposed to the 2 years movie goers did.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I've yet to see a full HP movie yet either.

I didn't read the books because they were for CHILDREN and I was certainly not a child in 1997, I was 17 gosh darn it! But by the time the movies came out, the Lord of the Rings movies were coming out at the same time, and those looked 1000x better, so I saw those instead. By the time the 4th or 5th HP movie came out, I was so behind in the story that I didn't bother trying to catch up (or care to).

I saw part of the 1st one on TV one time, it looked okay. Not something I'm devoting that much time to at this point though.

I DID see Spiderman Homecoming over the weekend, that was pretty good! Not amazing (spiderman lol), but solid. I'd probably rank it somewhere in the upper middle of the MCU movies. I liked the Iron Man parts. The Captain America advertisements were hilarious. Glad they got it away from Sony for a little while.

Still need to see Thor3 and BP.. anything else come out before Avengers?

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I went ahead and rented Thor3 last night. It was a very fun movie! Soundtrack was totally 80s-erific.

They had Cate Blanchett looking might fine at times too.

Whose ship was that at the mid-credits part? Thanos? The jokes/etc in this one were top notch. It was good seeing more Hulk too.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
The thing with the HP movies....these magically inclined kids go to school to learn NOT to use their magic.

And as NSA pointed out, these movies are based off kids books, but man do the films get darker and darker as they go.