Movie Discussions

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Watched Thor Ragnarok again over the weekend.. that is just such a fun movie.

Really seems like it's the only real prerequisite for watching Infinity War too. The other movies help, but Thor is kinda like a lead in prequel.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
It is so 80s.. I wonder why they went in that direction? It makes no sense considering the rest of the MCU.. but somehow it just.. works. It works perfectly. The graphics, the music, the action.. ahh. So perfect.

Also.. Hela.. still so hot.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The exchanges between Thor/Hulk/Banner are gold.

We watched Anon last night. Not bad. Terrifying to think that the premise is very likely. Literally zero privacy. Bit of nudity including Amanda Seyfrie(sp?).

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not sure how I feel about Infinity War. Yeah, it was awesome, but holy heck was it indeed busy. It's literally nonstop action the entire time. And a lot of times it's action that's just blur...no idea what's going on. Also disappointing how little
:hulk:
is seen.

I loved how it ended.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, after that one beat down, he was like, "nope." Made for some good laughs, but yeah, a little disappointing. Maybe they needed the CGI budget elsewhere?

So the wife and I finally made it out to see it last night. All in all, I enjoyed it, but not as much as the last two Caps or Thor 3. It was really spread out over all those characters. Here's my no spoiler opinions:
The good: Thanos was well developed. His motivations were pretty well defined. His minions were pretty formidable and cool. Special effects were generally pretty strong. Comedy between some of the main characters was strong. Teamwork between the heroes was strong, until...
The notso: So many characters to follow really watered down the time on screen for some of the characters that deserved more. While the price being paid was high, it feels like the Marvel universe will allow it all to be reversed, so it's hard to feel any true loss until we see how it all pans out. Some of the big battle between the attackers and defenders seemed a little far fetched.

But, I liked it well enough, and hopefully someday will watch it as one long awesome epic with part 2 attached.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Do we know if any of the movies take place in the post IW world? I thought I read that Ant Man + W.A.S.P. takes place between Civil War and IW and Captain Marvel takes place in the 1990s or something.

I guess we only have a year until Avengers 4 comes out so they don't NEED a movie there, but damn that would be a fun time-frame to set something in. Maybe Agents of SHIELD if it gets renewed?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
One of the writers or directors or something said Hulks reluctance was due to him getting sick of being called up only when Banner needs the muscle. Seems suspect to me. Though he did seem to display childish behavior in Thor 3, so who knows.

While the price being paid was high, it feels like the Marvel universe will allow it all to be reversed, so it's hard to feel any true loss until we see how it all pans out...
Knowing the slate of films coming up, I can think of at least two characters that 100% won't stay dead. So I suspect they'll ALL be reversed.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Do we know if any of the movies take place in the post IW world? I thought I read that Ant Man + W.A.S.P. takes place between Civil War and IW and Captain Marvel takes place in the 1990s or something.

I guess we only have a year until Avengers 4 comes out so they don't NEED a movie there, but damn that would be a fun time-frame to set something in. Maybe Agents of SHIELD if it gets renewed?
It's all here!

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Spoilery talk about IW...

I think the ones who survived IW will be the ones to die in the sequel, since it was all the OG Avengers who mostly lived. They'll end up sacrificing themselves for the new people to take over the next wave of films. This lines up with Spiderman 2, Black Panther 2, etc. Maybe they won't ALL die, but I think at least 1 or 2 need to.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Its in a spoiler tag so shame on you if you don't want to know

The ones that disappeared went into the soul stone. They are the ones who are fine in the long run. Thanos can kick the asses of the survivors who will manage to release the others from the soul stone

Team stayed behind will die
Team disappeared will go on to make many more movies

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I don't know if I'm more amazed they haven't been able to successfully reboot it, or that they keep trying.

Maybe it's just something that needs to stay in the 80s? The toys were a huge part in the success of the cartoon (and probably some vice versa), and toys are not really a thing anymore. We've said forever they need a Call of Duty type game. I think some kind of game/cartoon tie-in is the only way to make the franchise relevant now.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, I can see ideas for how you break from nostalgia and make it work on its own. I mean GI JOE was totally different before the 80s and they managed to reinvent it and be successful, why not do it again?

Since they don't want to faithfully recreate what they had, which is fine.. they need to just do a fresh 100% reboot. No one (clearly) wants bastardized versions of things we grew up with. I guess it worked for Transformers, but I think that was due to equal parts Michael Bay explosions and Megan Fox boobies.

Problem is.. no one in the mainstream 'likes' war or troops or soldiers. I mean, sure, you have the millions who voted for Trump.. but they don't count because reasons. You'd need to make GI JOE into something else.. like Baywatch or something. Turning them into an international organization is dumb, at that point change the name. I guess you need to find (or invent) a bad guy that everyone can agree is actually bad. Can't be a minority.. or a woman. Evil white guys are it I guess. But they shouldn't be foreign, since foreign people are better than us. Alt-Right? PERFECT.

Ugh. Too far down the rabbit hole.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
GIJOE was only ever successful because of the toys (and toons). For us and the generation(s) before us. That isn't going to work anymore. Kids don't care like we did. Back me up member dads. So they either pander to the nostalgia generations or keep crossing their fingers that throwing cash at their reinventions pan out with general audiences.

I think embracing the camp like Baywatch and going for a GotG level/style of comedy could work. They were obviously targeting the 80's generation, and they could still do that. Cobra was generally pretty faceless. And - good for SJW Hollywood - rather white male. The JOEs were very diverse, so that works too. Keep it in the 80's. The vibrant Thor 3 and GotG films were beautiful with that palette. That works for the ridiculous costumes and vehicles. Small team globetrotting stories that meet up at the end, like Infinity War.

I don't know. Maybe that's just the selfishness talking.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah.. I feel like the reboot movies weirdly tried to take themselves too seriously.. even though they were far from serious themselves, which made the whole thing just stupid.

JOE should be fun.. Retaliation was a little better in this regard I think. The Rock makes everything better.

I want it to be A-TEAM mixed with BAYWATCH mixed with WE WERE SOLDIERS.

I think it could be adapted to modern times as well, so it's not forced to be stuck in the 80s. Being able to sneak in 80s homages might be even cooler than having it all set there anyway. Having the JOES find, mid-movie, a run laser gun would be pretty funny.

It'd have to be an action/comedy to work at all. A couple moving moments, but mostly funny/cool. Only way to connect these days. Otherwise you'd need to go full war drama.. and while I'd like that, I don't think it'd sell.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm of the opinion that they either have to go all in with the full camp and actual vehicles (CGI required) and uniforms to match the 80's cartoon or totally reproduce it in a modern form like they did with A-Team. Either way, it would have to be done by people who know and love it, or it'll fail. Without the call backs, you lose the core. Without the cool factor, you lose any chance of drawing in anybody new.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Toys That Made Us taught us that the 3.75” Joe’s were developed and then sold to the stores with the promised comic books. Then the cartoonmercial.

My daughter loves the new Transformers and laughs at the old ones because they are so plain and boring. I honestly think MASK has a better chance of successful reboot than Joe since the vehicles and superpowers have more of that modern cool factor the kids crave.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I just don't feel like the GI JOE movie reboots were aimed at.. anyone. Certainly the movies were not aimed at kids, but the toys were not (mostly) aimed at collectors.. it's like they were trying to get the teenage market or something.. which is stupid because those age people don't buy toys and don't have any nostalgia for GI JOE.

A smart, funny cartoon that had some heart would help.. Resolute was actually interesting but short. I don't know if I ever watched the reboot cartoon that was on their network for a short time.

But really they just need a really good game. Work with EA or Activision. Make a GI JOE Battlefield, or Call of Duty.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I think it looks funny.. I used to mind her but don't so much anymore.. I think because my hate was now placed on that Rebel Wilson person. Ugh.

Deadpool 2 was good.. lots of laughs, and some heart. I don't know if it was better than the 1st, but it was on part/equal.