Movie Discussions

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Started it back up. I do not find it ghetto at all, it’s just I could care less about African culture or history. The whole Korea expedition was awful. You have a stolen African artifact and then have 3 black people blending in the underground of Korea? Action scenes are piss so far and the limitations of the actresses in the fight scenes is baffling. Feels like Big Trouble in Little China or something.

Then of course:

“Great, another broken white boy for us to fix”.

And the broken record “Americans” slander.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Broken white boy was a reference to Bucky. I thought the colonization thing was said by Killmonger, no? Can’t remember. Also, I chalk up the “Americans” thing to envy. It’s old and tired, but it always seems to appear in any movie not based here. I tend to chuckle a little at it still.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
It's divisive is what it is. Just keeps people pissed off at each other forever instead of moving on from issues NONE of us had anything to do with.

Watched Free Fire. That was a pretty good movie. Nothing deep. Just a comical situation. A fire fight between buyers and sellers with that plays out ridiculously. The one DVD extra was cool. The writer/director REALLY paid attention to detail to make sure that no angle contradicted reality.

The whole movie felt like when all of us neighborhood boys would "play guns". Good times. Good times.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Broken white boy was a reference to Bucky. I thought the colonization thing was said by Killmonger, no? Can’t remember. Also, I chalk up the “Americans” thing to envy. It’s old and tired, but it always seems to appear in any movie not based here. I tend to chuckle a little at it still.

The sister said it and I caught the Bucky reference, but still...

Anyways, it gets more entertaining when the new king takes over, but keeps failing me at every climax. Really hate the 100% CGI Panthers because it looks fake and I do not know why it was needed. I wish I hadn’t watched it since I liked the Wakanda represented in Infinity Wars. I didn’t need the whole we hate how white people act towards the world by not helping the blacks with their tech and wealth all while the Wakanda Kings are exactly the same. I do find it interesting the Africans find themselves feeling superior to the African-Americans which is exactly what I witness at my job.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Funny thing is I hate the movie for all the opposite reasons I expected. I’d rank it around the first Thor movie, just below Hulk since Edward Norton makes any movie watchable. Why wasn’t Bucky in it? No Cap?? I mean, why give us that cut scene of Bucky going there and then give us no follow up? I was hoping it would fill the void of them popping up in Infinity Wars.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You’re 100% right on the CGI panthers and rhino, and the lack of Cap/Bucky. I suppose it does rank low in that respect. I thought the story was pretty decent though, and enjoyed Killmonger and Clau. But yeah, it’s not going to ever enter my top favs. It falls about in the middle for me.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It'll come down to personal taste. I watched a couple of reviews on YT, and it definitely sounds like the wheels come off in the denouement.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Recorded a movie last week and finally got around to watching it last night..

"Black Sea" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_(film))

Guess it came out here in 2015.. but I never heard of it before. It looked like a smaller budget movie.

Basically, it's a submarine movie/underwater movie.. they're trying to recover nazi gold from a sunken WWII submarine in the (you guessed it) Black Sea. Of course nothing goes right and drama ensues.. but it was actually pretty decent, I was surprised. I'd recommend it. It starts a little slow, but the action and drama ratchets up pretty nicely to the conclusion.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Yikes. Really think so?
The only MCU movies that I didn't walk out enjoying were the first Captain America, Thor 2 The Dark World, and probably Iron Man 2. Once they hit "Winter Soldier" everything they've touched has been gold. Ant-man? Why would I care about fucking Ant-man? But I went on principal and loved it. I'd never even heard of the stupid Guardians of the Galaxy, and after walking out felt that it felt like a new Star Wars. They keep ramping things up, Thor 3 Ragnarok was amazing. Infinity war was epic.

They've earned the benefit of the doubt from me completely. If Captain Marvel somehow 'ruins' the MCU, I'll be the first to talk about it (Like I did with TLJ), but basing it off previews and media pieces seems short-sighted and agenda-driven more than anything else. Wait and see, and then make up your own mind.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Yikes. Really think so?
My SJW radar is way more sensitive than NSA's and I agree with him. Though when I really think about it, like just right now, they may be equal in that regard. Where DC fails is just, overall. Their insistence to rush things along and keep 'too many cooks' in suits in the creative process has REALLY screwed it all up. They have - I believe - irreparably ruined any potential. Everyone expects a DC movie to be trash. Everyone expects an MU movie to be gold.

Last edited:

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Yeah, it's weird.

I will say Wonder Woman was entertaining, and I didn't expect it to be. That was about as "GIRL POWER" as you can get, but it made sense in the context of the film/the character history. Suicide Squad was okay. Man of Steel was alright, but missing the John Williams music took it down 2 notches. I never saw Batman vs Superman, but Justice League was god-awful, and the new Aquaman movie looks like a parody.

My SJW radar is way more sensitive than NSA's and I agree with him. Though when I really think about it, like just right now, they may be equal in that regard. Where DC fails is just, overall. Their insistence to rush things along and keep 'too many cooks' in suits in the creative process has REALLY screwed it all up. They have - I believe - irreparably ruined any potential. Everyone expects a DC movie to be trash. Everyone expects an MU movie to be gold.
Yeah, it's weird.

I will say Wonder Woman was entertaining, and I didn't expect it to be. That was about as "GIRL POWER" as you can get, but it made sense in the context of the film/the character history. Suicide Squad was okay. Man of Steel was alright, but missing the John Williams music took it down 2 notches. I never saw Batman vs Superman, but Justice League was god-awful, and the new Aquaman movie looks like a parody.
Ouch. That's pretty dang crappy... this makes me sad.

Double ouch. I haven't even looked at Aquaman honestly. I lost interest after Wonder Woman. Which I actually liked. And the girl power bit wasn't... as politically charged as say, the new Captain Marvel is. What dark times we live in with regard intellectual property. At least the good news is I'm periodically updating my photonovel/action figure comic character profiles!

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

I watched "Annihilation" last night. It was a $0.99 rental on Amazon (and Vudu and MS). I figure it has to be coming to Netflix soon.. but I was tired of waiting and I'm fine with $0.99.

It was... interesting? A bit confusing. I liked the premise. It was a little weirder than I think I would have liked, but overall it was worth the $0.99 rental I think.