Movie Discussions

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I just said what I did because it gives away so much of the movie. But pcs isn't wrong about the female squadron in the 90's. However, is that comic accurate? And by that I don't mean the very likely SJW'd up, current revisionist comic accurate.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Weird the stuff that is commonplace now that wouldn't be accurate in a movie from a different time, and we probably wouldn't think much of it. Makes me wonder if that kind of thing is intentional (normalization and reinforcement) or if the writers/director forget as well.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I didn't realize that was a different trailer, so I'll avoid it. I was not offended by anything in the first trailer, just saw some things and felt some things that could indicate Disney is going to take it too far as they've done with Black Panther and our favorite SW trilogy. Hopefully it's kept at the Wonder Woman level so that everyone can enjoy it as opposed to a Rey level of Millenial madness.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Went and saw "Overlord" the other day.. you know, it wasn't bad.. it was actually kind of good.. as long as you're expecting a scary movie with Nazis. It seemed like the perfect Wolfenstein movie actually. Worth a rental or whatever when it comes out (We saw it @ $6 Tuesday).

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Went and saw "Overlord" the other day.. you know, it wasn't bad.. it was actually kind of good.. as long as you're expecting a scary movie with Nazis. It seemed like the perfect Wolfenstein movie actually. Worth a rental or whatever when it comes out (We saw it @ $6 Tuesday).

Oh good. I almost had the wife talked into it this weekend since JJ can do no wrong in our household.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I go back and forth on if I care or not. In this case it didn't really distract.. no one even brings it up or mentions it that I remember. It just is. His race isn't used to give the character any special powers or bonuses or anything.. so at some point if it's 'acting' and in a very fictitious "historical" setting.. does it matter?

I dunno. Would I be upset if there was a white Tuskegee Airman in a movie? It wouldn't even make sense though since the whole thing about Tuskegee Airmen was they're black. Nothing about the D-Day invasion is based on whiteness.. (except history). I dunno.

I think in the end it doesn't bother me enough to dislike the movie, but it's a mental note I file away.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It only bothers me when they go out of their way to point it out during the movie or the marketing or when it's a well establish character with many movies/books/comics who suddenly switches genders or color just to be diverse. Make your own damn characters if you need a new minority female bad ass or go find a historic one that might have not gotten much attention and bring them into center stage.

This new Spiderman is getting 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and because of our stupid society, I can't possibly know if it's good or not due to the Black Panther effect. That movie suuuuuuucked.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Revising history for propaganda/SJW/diversity purposes bothers me a lot. So much so that I now avoid movies and shows that do it. I won't see that movie no matter how much I loved Wolfenstein. I mean, imagine if they made a movie about the african slave trade and made some of the slaves from africa white. Why would that revisionism be obviously unacceptable to literally everyone but revisionism that replaces "evil honkies!" is acceptable? It's not to me. I refuse to support it knowing full well that it's not going to change a thing.

I want accuracy, not activism. I want a black Roadblock and I want a white Ripcord. I want male WWII troops and officers and female switchboard operators and Rosie the riveters. You h-wood aholes want to make your utopian future all SJW, go for it. But stop injecting your dream worldview into history.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
There were plenty of black soldiers, sargents and lieutenants over in Europe fighting for the US, so I have no issue with that concept. Sure the black officers were in all black squads, but who gives a crap as long as the movie isn’t pointing out “oh oh oh I’m a black officer”. I have way more of a problem with pink haired claw armed woman running around France with native americans killing Nazis with a tomahawk being passed off as ‘authentic’.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I have issues with revisionism in general. If you are telling me a historic story, you better have a darn good explanation for why it diverges from the norms of the time (like it’s part of some genuinely unique event). I like when something is so well done that you actually feel like you’ve traveled through time to be there, not that you’ve joined an alternate version of it.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched Christmas Chronicles last night with the family. Not bad, not bad at all. Kurt Russell is my new favorite Santa Claus! Even the animation was good (did not expect that from a Netflix original). I have a feeling we’ll be adding it to our Christmas movie rotation for many years to come.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Watched Christmas Chronicles last night with the family. Not bad, not bad at all. Kurt Russell is my new favorite Santa Claus! Even the animation was good (did not expect that from a Netflix original). I have a feeling we’ll be adding it to our Christmas movie rotation for many years to come.
THANK YOU! I thought I'd posted about that here but I guess not.. it is SO GOOD. My personal favorite new Christmas movie I've seen since probably the Santa Clause in the mid-90s. The kids, the wife, everyone liked it. I think we've watched it 3 or 4 times already. I put it on as kind of a joke because we couldn't find anything Christmas-y to watch that we hadn't seen 1000x.. but right from the start it was really good, and it legitimately only got better as the movie went on. Kurt Russell was amazing as Santa, and everyone else just played their parts really well.

Ahh I loved all of it. A+ recommendation from me, doesn't feel like a "netflix" movie at all.. everything was good enough to be in the theaters in my opinion.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Watched Sand Castle, How it Ends and Outlaw / King on Netflix this weekend and have to say they are nailing it. Better than most theatre movies. Sand Castle is the best 90's Iraq movie I remember, Outlaw King is a proper sequel to Braveheart, but way better historically.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Also.. I just went down the rabbit hole..

So Kurt Russell is in Christmas Chronicles.. his "not wife" is Goldie Hawn, and her son is Oliver Hudson.. who plays the dad to the two kids in the movie.. also.. Wyatt Russell who is Kurt & Goldies son played one of the leads in Overlord that I saw recently.. I had no idea.

Crazy.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Saw Ready Player one??? Yug. He's the concept, life sucks so much in this post-apocalyptic world that apparently our grandchildren will like everything we did as kids, because new pop culture references won't happen for the next 30 years.

Had the cops not shown up in the end (The only real reference to a functioning government) Then it would have been pretty obvious evil corporation guys would kill our heros the second the credits roled.

But will say yay to bringing back dystopian future movies! probably a much more interesting story.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
...because new pop culture references won't happen for the next 30 years.
Heh. I love that about future movies/shows. I know it's obviously for the viewers, but it still doesn't make sense. Seriously, 400+ years (or however many years later it is in whatever future movie/show you're watching) later and you're referencing things from the 20th century??

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
RE: The future nonsense.. yeah, I don't know. On one hand I don't see people of today causally tossing around 17th century references and memes.. but outside of books we don't really have a good idea of how the average person lived or what they were into. 200 years in the future, assuming civilization wasn't completely destroyed, there should still be digital records (Facebook, twitter, DVDs, etc) showing the precise detail of our daily lives and hobbies and everything.. so it is at least conceivable that people would know and repeat stuff that happened now..

As to why they don't reference stuff from 2030 or 2040 or whatever.. well.. #BadWriting

As for Godzilla.. meh. I feel like I'm the only one who that does nothing for. I've never been a "Godzilla fan" by any means, I enjoyed the new movie, and Kong.. but.. whatever. It feels like they went from those to this and skipped 5 movies in the middle. This trailer doesn't talk about how the Titans are supposed to fix Global Warming like the last one.. editing?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
As for Godzilla.. meh. I feel like I'm the only one who that does nothing for. I've never been a "Godzilla fan" by any means, I enjoyed the new movie, and Kong.. but.. whatever. It feels like they went from those to this and skipped 5 movies in the middle. This trailer doesn't talk about how the Titans are supposed to fix Global Warming like the last one.. editing?
This ⬆ is me. There's a nostalgia factor for me, but actually being excited? No. But I feel that way about all giant monster properties. Jurassic Park, King Kong, Pacific Rim (it's in the same genre)...don't care much. Can't explain it, but they didn't do much for me when I was little. Them having been around and still carrying the torch is about the only draw factor.