Movie Discussions

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched Ralph Breaks the Internet this evening. Way better than I expected. We all liked it better than the first one. Had some great laughs. Definitely worth a look.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It’s 50/50 Ralph and the girl and I must say the entire movie annoyed me. There were some creative parts that made me laugh, but I found the first one to be much funnier. Definitely not my jam.
Spot on the 50/50. And yes, she’s still the most annoying part IMO, but not as much as in the first one (Silverman is IRL, so yeah). I really enjoyed all the funny Internet references and when Disney poked fun at the princesses. It was a little “girl powery”, but I liked Gal Gadot’s character. She’s hot, even as a cartoon. :p

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Yeah, I'm not in any hurry to see more of her. Though not being in candy land sounds nice. Eh..if it happens it happens.Maybe t'll be on TV or netflix one day. If not...*shrugs*

Anyone see Incredibles 2 yet? I saw that it's on netflix but if it's just a bunch more GIRL POWER! mary sues...:talktothehand:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I’ve seen it. It had a little of the “dad having trouble being a house husband” trope, but I don’t recall an overwhelming amount of “GIRL POWER!!”. Then again, I may have had a few beverages the night I saw it, so YMMV.

Thought I had given my impression here before, but couldn’t find it. Hrm, refer to last sentence above. :p

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I liked it. I hope the sequel is actually a prequel.

We watched A Cure For Wellness. Um, I guess it was okay. It was weird. But at least most things were explained. It wasn't one of those weird, leave you hanging kind of artsie fartise films that pretentious hollywood types think is somehow awesome.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Jumanji 2 was really good.. I enjoyed the heck out of it. It came out around the same time as TLJ and was the more "fun" movie by a large margin. Looking forward to 3. I did appreciate the nods to the original movie as well. It was a great example of how to update an existing property for a new age.

I didn't love Incredibles 2, though I never really cared for the original much either. I think they're both good, but wouldn't rank them anywhere near favorite status. I don't recall anything SJW though other than the Mom works trope, but that's real life too.

Watched Wreck it Ralph 2 this weekend as well, it was.. okay? There were definite good parts (The Princesses were great).. and a lot of ??? parts. I appreciated the GTA video game world, and all the tech references, but the almost complete absence of anything 'bad' on the internet was kind of weird, though it is Disney. I really liked the original, and this just felt.. I dunno, more of a TV movie compared.

Also watched: Skyscraper. Holy shit, don't see this. It was on HBO so at least I didn't pay specifically for this.. yikes. I am a lover of dumb movies and put up with a lot (see: Rampage), especially when The Rock is involved (see: Rampage, again). So I figured.. why not? Ugh. Just on almost every level this was bad. It's basically Die Hard, but for Chinese audiences. The Premise.. I guess is okay, but everything else is.. just.. ugh. It's got some flashy scenes and I am sure it did well overseas.. (googles..) 68M domestic, 236M (!!!) international. Yup. The most scathing thing I could say about this? It wasn't even good when I was drunk.

Also caught an old movie I'd never seen before.. SEX DRIVE (2008). It was actually pretty funny.. and SOOO not PC. It's in the vein of the Van Wilder movies.. EuroTrip.. etc. Dumb kids do dumb things for sex, but had some good cameos and bewbs and I laughed.

Also re-watched Bohemian Rhapsody again since the wife bailed half-way through the first time. I actually liked it better the 2nd time for whatever reason. Really just well done movie.. still TONS of gay, but it doesn't really ever focus on it too much (outside of maybe 1 long tracking shot) and doesn't promote it as a good lifestyle, like.. at all. Music was banging!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The thing I liked most about Jumanji (aside from Gillan) was how much it really did feel like a video game world. Specifically like Uncharted. I do wish, though, that they had leaned more into the pop-up screens. Or maybe had an itme scroll wheel for the Rock pop up and whatever he needed appeared in Backpack's backpack. And I wish they had utilized his backpack more in general. Pulling ridiculous sized things, and ridiculous amounts of things from it. Would've been good comedicly AND something gamers must really ponder.

Sex Drive was great. I still can't get the hottie from it out of my mind all these years later.

The freckles!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Alice+Greczyn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimlOv2sungAhVQRa0KHbJnBIEQ_AUIDigB&biw=1024&bih=481&dpr=1.88#imgrc=_

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Also re-watched Bohemian Rhapsody again since the wife bailed half-way through the first time. I actually liked it better the 2nd time for whatever reason. Really just well done movie.. still TONS of gay, but it doesn't really ever focus on it too much (outside of maybe 1 long tracking shot) and doesn't promote it as a good lifestyle, like.. at all. Music was banging!
I guess I should watch this. I'm surprisingly disinterested for a Queen fan.

This one is pretty old, but I'm just now hearing about it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Captain Marvel was awesome.

Perfect use of the Marvel origin story formula. The story would not have been as good without the Marvel/Avengers backstory we already know, but it was still damn entertaining.

2 after credits scenes for those who stay.

She'd a tear at the opening for sure.

Outside of Infinity war this was probably right up there with Winter Soldier.

Sure, wimmin power and what not, but it works in the confines of the movie and does not feel shoehorned in to me. She's a powerful woman. I didn't see anything that would make me want to write off the movie on principal at all like some of the internet jerkoffs seem to be trying to make happen.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
People of all persuasion get entirely too worked up about what actors and entertainment people think.

I judge movies and music and games by the product not the people who got paid to do it.

I haven't seen her comments, nor do I really care. I wouldn't even say she was the best part of the movie, but she was perfectly serviceable in the part and seems like a nice addition to the MCU going forward.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Cuuuuuuuuuck. :troll: (Just kidding). I’ll certainly check it out, probably with the fam at the discount thee-ate-her. Full price tickets are waaaaaaay too pricy when you got 6 people to pay for.

End Game will be me and the wife at full price, and then the whole fam at discount.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I would think little girls would get a kick out of it, be curious what y'all kids think of it.

We also watched Aquaman last night and it was actually good. Not great, but good fun. It had no real weight or character drama or anything.. but that ends up being fine because its just a good old action movie. It's not bogged down at all by the previous DC history.. so it's like the anti Captain Marvel in that sense, but where it was a strength for Marvel, it would be a hindrance for Aquaman so I think they made the right choice. It's all underwater so it's still a little goofy but overall I enjoyed it, and more than I thought I would.

I'd describe Aquaman as: An exciting action adventure romp.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Don't they retcon shit about the Tesseract to shoehorn CM into the story? Pretty sure the cat/Fury's eye thing is also a retcon, too. Eh, I guess I'm just confused as to why they bothered with a character that can't keep a comic in print, and that no one cares about. Aside from the obvious girl power agenda, naturally.

Apparently, Alita: Battle Angel had a strong female lead, but "mysteriously" managed not to anger everyone.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'll wait a week or two before going to see an early afternoon girl-Cap showing.

Aquaman? I don't doubt that it's fun considering I've heard that from enough people who's opinions I respect/trust, but alllllll thaaaat CGI! Ugh! I am in no hurry at all. Does Netflix ever show the DC films? If not I may just wait for it show up on TV/cable.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Watched the most recent Jurassic World movie, man the ending was so dam stupid.

The little girl lets all the dinosaurs loose on the world, I know she is a little kid but does she have NO idea what kind of hell she's creating for the world?? I couldn't and still can't get my head around that, I know it's "just a movie" but that was a pretty idiotic thing for her to do.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So I managed to watch three movies on my flights that were new to me:

Crazy Rich Asians: It’s every bit the rom com chick flick, but with an Asian twist, to keep it fresh I guess. It wasn’t bad as that type of movie goes. They had characters that met all the usual stereotypes, but did manage to make it funny at times. If your significant other demands this kind of movie, this one is at least tolerable.

Christopher Robin: Not bad. Certainly not a barn burner, but I did manage to stay awake (I’d already gotten my nap prior, and didn’t drink due to some meds I’m taking - hope to be done with that before my return trip :D). Overall, a pretty good family flick, particularly if you know the origin story.

Ready Player One: I really enjoyed this one. I liked all the pop culture an gaming references. I enjoyed the look and feel of the digital world and thought it delivered pretty well. I wouldn’t call it a heavily technical or fully accurate portrayal, but it was fun and delivered pretty well.

Other than that, I had a hard time finding new movies I hadn’t already picked up on my last trip. I’m hoping that a new batch comes online before my next set of flights. Otherwise, I will likely have maybe another one or two to watch before I decide to log a few more DD S2 episodes and then rewatch Infinity War and Thor: Ragnarok on my ipad.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Christopher Robin: Not bad. Certainly not a barn burner, but I did manage to stay awake (I’d already gotten my nap prior, and didn’t drink due to some meds I’m taking - hope to be done with that before my return trip :D). Overall, a pretty good family flick, particularly if you know the origin story.
I hear there's a big age/nostalgia factor component to this one. Saw The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part. Eh, it was okay, but all the LEGO films since TLM have been diminishing returns.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Watched the most recent Jurassic World movie, man the ending was so dam stupid.

The little girl lets all the dinosaurs loose on the world, I know she is a little kid but does she have NO idea what kind of hell she's creating for the world?? I couldn't and still can't get my head around that, I know it's "just a movie" but that was a pretty idiotic thing for her to do.
Because sequel that has to out-ridiculous all prior Jurassic films.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Don't they retcon shit about the Tesseract to shoehorn CM into the story? Pretty sure the cat/Fury's eye thing is also a retcon, too. Eh, I guess I'm just confused as to why they bothered with a character that can't keep a comic in print, and that no one cares about. Aside from the obvious girl power agenda, naturally.

Apparently, Alita: Battle Angel had a strong female lead, but "mysteriously" managed not to anger everyone.
Spoilers!

They never said expressly how Fury lost the eye just something like "Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye" but Fury is always lying/spouting nonsense so I wouldn't take that as too much of a retcon really.

From what I remember, the Tesseract was lost at sea in the 40s with Captain America, and we didn't see it again until the 00's with Thor/SHIELD. Captain Marvel presumably explains how SHIELD got it, though it doesn't explain where it was from being in the ocean into the Kree lady's lab.

Also, I'd say ANT MAN is pretty stupid and I'd NEVER want to see him, and they made the movies entertaining. Same with Guardians.. I'd never even heard of them before the movie. At this point the MCU and comics have nothing in common really.

Alita was fine, but CGI ladies are not real ladies!

I'll wait a week or two before going to see an early afternoon girl-Cap showing.

Aquaman? I don't doubt that it's fun considering I've heard that from enough people who's opinions I respect/trust, but alllllll thaaaat CGI! Ugh! I am in no hurry at all. Does Netflix ever show the DC films? If not I may just wait for it show up on TV/cable.
I don't think Netflix has the DC movies. It is CGI but it mostly seemed well done, it didn't bother me in the least once I got past the weird "we're all underwater" look. It was just a fun movie.. not too deep, not too self involved or thinking its an important movie.

That's funny. I would guess the same type of spam marketing is used on a lot of movies to bump up/bump down scores. Online "user" reviews are a joke. I trust very few people with reviews, and most times no one at all because my tastes are mine, no one elses.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It would be suicide, but alternatively, it'd be nice if there was a big disclaimer "We can not guarantee that any of the reviews or ratings come from individuals who have actually seen the movie". Hopefully everyone already assumes that.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't see why there is even a big demand to see what GROUPTHINKMASSES think of Product X. Who the fuck cares?

I already think paid reviewers are stupid, but at least some of them know things about film history/theory that I might not know, so it's a relatively informed opinion.

I think everyone, whether they admit it or not, has certain weaknesses that let them like a movie more than they normally should. I think for me it's showing/having links to other things.. "ah ha" moments.. and most of the MCU has those moments linking movies together, and I just love that. I loved in it Rogue One and [SOLO] too. It probably raises a score by .5 or a full point when done well.

I also think having a particular scene or moment can get me to increase a score as well. See Vader in Rogue One. That scene alone elevates the entire movie for me by a full point (at least). It retroactively makes the earlier parts in the movie even better because they're working towards this epic payoff.