Movie Discussions

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I also think having a particular scene or moment can get me to increase a score as well. See Vader in Rogue One. That scene alone elevates the entire movie for me by a full point (at least). It retroactively makes the earlier parts in the movie even better because they're working towards this epic payoff.
So much! But yeah, references do tend to elevate.

As for groupthink reviews, they don't mean much to me, especially when I don't know the people and especially in our hyper SJW world. I can't trust those people, and when it comes to reviewers, not knowing who is and who isn't some wacko virtue signaler, it makes them even less reliable. I prefer going off of the recommendations of people who's taste I'm already aware of.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Started to watch but he said “spoiler review” and I am not sure if I want to know too much ahead of time. Pretty sure I’ll be seeing it with the fam at the discount theater. Trying not to prejudge it as well.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
This guys complaints seem pretty common. Is he (and others like him) reading into it too much?

Well yeah, spoilers...

MCU first mistake? What? Thor 2 didn't exist?!

Villain is the patriarchy?! What! No. The 'main' enemy is an AI who is typically represented to the audience as an older woman.

Sam Jackson was good, confirm that. This was his best Fury to date, by far. The kid actor was good as well.

1st act was good? Yeah, sure.

Ben Mendelson was really good. The Skrulls looks perfectly fine, and we're cool as I didn't know anything about them. There is zero 'immigration' nonsense unless you're reading too far into it. The Kree are hunting them down and killing them because the Kree are dicks. They were not wasted, they were completely integral to the plot.

The Stan Lee cameo was great, I teared up.

The bad...

Prequel was bad? 1995? Nothing wrong with that. It doesn't really screw up anything in my opinion. Ronan isn't screwed up, if anything it shows his character growth between here and GOTG. GOTG is like.. 20 years later? Of course he'd get stronger over time, especially if he saw something else so powerful out there. Captain Marvel just decimated 2/3 of his ships and gives him the chance to retreat before destroying him. Seemed fine to me. Seems like what a "hero" would do.

2nd act is bad.. not really. It is where Carol remembers who she is, has the good twist of the movie. It's slower but it is the exposition part of the movie. Him complaining about the Black lady? She was fine.

Kree/Skrull war.. it's used as backdrop but you can't cover everything in 1 movie. There is no immigration agenda. They're being hunted down, planet to planet, and are looking to go somewhere where the Kree can't find them. It's not like they are asking to be let into Earth and we're all NO! BUILD A SPACE WALL! None of that happens.

Continuity problems..

Tesseract? Yes last time we saw it, it was at the bottom of the ocean.. and now we see Mar Vel has it.. well no shit, it was somewhere before SHIELD got it. Why not be with her? SHIELD was fine, it was very muted, so they could go anywhere with it. Fury inspired by a woman? How is that undercutting him? Again, 20 years ago.. people change and whatever.. the cat is not overblown, it's a great part of the movie, very funny, anyone who likes cats will enjoy it. The eye scratch is perfect.

Bree Larsen is fine.. she's not great, but I feel like her portrayal works for the character, as she is someone who has no idea who she is and has to figure it out as she goes. The Kree culture is not the patriarchy. There are equal men/women on the team against her. Jude Law is sort of the 'main' bad guy, but the AI (represented by a woman when we see it) is the real bad guy. For the first half of the movie she thinks shes a Kree, so when she's on Earth she just thinks Earth people are stupid backwards idiots (not really wrong there).

After credits stuff.. yes.. she shows up.. yes, it's cool. Yes she's powerful? I mean she's Marvel's Superman.

This guy was obviously biased from the get go, so he's going to hate everything he sees anyway. There is nothing in this movie that feels agenda based to a normal person. Literally the only point in the movie that references gender differences that I can think of is when they mention she became a test pilot because the military wasn't allowing female combat pilots at the time (which is true?).

There is not a single damn thing that even approaches the idiocy of Admiral Holdo from TLJ.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They dropped the stricture against splittail fighter jocks in '93, so Danvers being a fighter pilot was possible (though McSally would be the first to fly actual sorties in 1995, but wouldn't actually go guns-hot until '05).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
They dropped the stricture against splittail fighter jocks in '93, so Danvers being a fighter pilot was possible (though McSally would be the first to fly actual sorties in 1995, but wouldn't actually go guns-hot until '05).
*pushes up nerd glasses*

But she was gone for 6 years, so she had to have been abducted in the late 80s

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched Tomb Raider on my first flight. I have to say I came in with low expections and actually enjoyed it pretty well. I’m glad it wasn’t a shot for chapter from the game. And Alicia Vikander did a pretty good job. While she isn’t quite built like the perfect LC from the game, they did a good job with flattering camera angles and likely some enhancement to get her pretty close, particularly for the signature shots. And she does have that super hot Brit voice so there’s that. It was smart to do it as a refresh/origin, though we’ll have to see if they did well enough to make another.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The cinematic campaign is pretty hard to top, that’s for sure. The movie certainly didn’t surpass that.

Okay, a few more on the 14hr+ return flight:

Equalizer 2: not bad. I enjoyed it about the same as the first one. Denzel is starting to show his age a little, but the story was solid as well as his handiwork. Worth checking out if you liked the first.

The First Purge: (yes, I was getting to the bottom of the barrel) not that the others were all that good, but man. I couldn’t watch it through. I realized very quickly that the movie had no characters that I had any empathy for at all. It pretty much takes place in the drug ridden ghetto where, for my money, it’s purge night every night. I only watched the first third or so before giving up. Complete meh for me.

Siberia: I was hoping that Keanu would channel at least a little of the magic that is the John Wick series, but alas, no. I was falling asleep very early (and w/o any help from substances). I don’t think I got even as far as I did with that Purge flick.

A Private War: I figured going it that it would be a somewhat left slanted flick since it was glorifying a war reporter. But, I try to take in whatever I can from different viewpoints, within reason. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I liked the movie pretty well. I wouldn’t say I particularly liked the characters, but the story was solid (based on real events) and they seemed to have kept it pretty true to life. Overall, worth a look.

Likewise, Shock and Awe: I also knew this one would glorify those sometimes worthy but usually not, most often leftist, journalists. Well, to my surprise, I found myself siding with them in this flick (it certainly helped that one of the main journalists portrayed was Joe Galloway - of We Were Soldiers fame). It told the story of the very few journalists that didn’t jump on the war wagon heading into the Iraq War. Overall, pretty well done, and (whether they intended to or not) it pointed out how the mainstream media can so easily be (willingly or otherwise) duped into pushing agenda instead of factual journalism. For this, I consider it a decent watch and certainly worth checking out.

So yeah, 3 out of 5 ain’t bad... :p Especially considering I was running out of stuff to watch. Still working my way through DD S2. So, back at it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oooooo.

I can't help but think this is going to overshadow Episode IX, which sounds insane to me from 10 years ago.
Because it probably will. Disney has so fucked the SW franchise that it would take a miracle for IX to even start to undo the damaged.

I'm about 5 films behind on the MCU, so I'll just say that Endgame looks alright, aside from those lame white uniforms.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Yeah, the MCU is doing what SW should have been doing since it came back. Could you imagine if they had a bunch of competent side films and a numbered movie every 3 years or so? Hell, they could have filmed a bunch of the shitty EU books as movies in-between episode VII, VIII, IX and (if done well) it'd be just like the MCU. The SWCU!

But no, we got what we got. I loved Rogue One and Solo, but they're completely disconnected from 7, 8, 9.. so why place them where they did? Ugh.

The last bunch of MCU movies have been leading directly here.. Thor3, Ant Man & Wasp, Captain Marvel and Infinity war (obvs). Black Panther didn't really tie in.. other than being a place where a battle in Infinity war takes place.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, the MCU is doing what SW should have been doing since it came back. Could you imagine if they had a bunch of competent side films and a numbered movie every 3 years or so? Hell, they could have filmed a bunch of the shitty EU books as movies in-between episode VII, VIII, IX and (if done well) it'd be just like the MCU. The SWCU!

But no, we got what we got. I loved Rogue One and Solo, but they're completely disconnected from 7, 8, 9.. so why place them where they did? Ugh.

The last bunch of MCU movies have been leading directly here.. Thor3, Ant Man & Wasp, Captain Marvel and Infinity war (obvs). Black Panther didn't really tie in.. other than being a place where a battle in Infinity war takes place.
I think the MCU had a once-in-a-lifetime cohesive vision. That they've managed an decade-spanning movie arc and the wheels haven't come off yet is truly a wonder.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a couple movies of the Netflix variety today while laying around, getting used to being back home:

Third Frontier - It’s a not bad Ben Affleck flick about some ex-spec ops guys that formulate a plan to take down a drug lord. Pretty good action and some fairly strong realism. Worth a look.

The Bird Box - my wife wanted to check it out. Not bad. Sort of an odd premise for a apocalyptic/end of the world scenario, but generally pretty good. And it has John Malkovich, who everybody should have listened to. :p Also worth checking out.

Mogli - Not as good as John Favreau’s The Jungle Book but certainly worth a look. Definitely diverges a little from the original movies, but I’m not sure if more of the content was included in the book, and maybe not in the movies, since it’s a little more intense. Anyway, also worth a look.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
But, from just 2 days ago... https://www.comicbookmovie.com/transformers/a-transformers-the-last-knight-sequel-is-in-the-works-at-paramount-for-some-reason-a167196

producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura has now revealed that a sequel to 2017's The Last Knight is in the works.

And from your link...🤮
“One of the things I want to see, and I don’t know if we’ll do this particular thing, but I think we will eventually do a love story between Transformers. What does a love story mean? Definitely not sex, maybe not even kissing, but the idea that they would have that emotional crush has never really been brought in. That’s kind of the direction we’re going to try to head into, which is to give them human desires that, up until now, we haven’t seen much of. I think that will change the relationship with the Transformers.”

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, it's almost like he opened his mouth and then Hasbro said STFU, we are doing a new timeline the next day. The love thing is concerning, but I'm pretty sure we've learned by now that this dude is horrible with words. G1 had romances with Prime & Elita, Ironhide & Chromia? It sounds stupid and implausible, but then there is Wall-E and that worked, though that's not what I want out of my TFs.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

I want to see both Third Frontier and Bird Box just haven't found the time yet.

Watched a bunch of stuff over the weekend with the wife gone..

Re-watched The Avengers yesterday, and honestly I may not have seen it since I saw it in theaters. I know I must have, but I can't remember watching it again. Anyway, it was good! I'd forgotten how good it was, and basically set the tone for Phase 2 (which was generally awesome, F U Dark World). It was interesting seeing them all basically as "babies" too. I hope whatever happens in Endgame lets them see Coulson again. I'm still mad he hasn't shown up again, but was doing Agents of SHIELD the whole time. It was interesting watching Avengers and seeing "The Council" and knowing they're all Hydra this time.. they're just evil as fuck lol. They've sure come a long way with these movies. CGI mostly holds up too.

Watched Mike and Dave need wedding dates too... holy shit it was funny! I don't know why I skipped it before, it is right up my alley (giggity). Aubrey Plaza is hot in just the craziest of ways.

Found, bought, and re-watched The Boy Who Could Fly as well.. I haven't seen that movie in probably 30 years. It was good! It mostly held up, was cheesy, of course, but was mostly good. I remember LOVING it when it came out because the kid brother was playing with ACTUAL GI JOES in the movie.. he calls them out by name! Recondo! Barbeque! Shipwreck! He even had a little funeral for one "who got careless". The whole boy flying thing was okay too, romantic teenager stuff, but it had a good heart.

Finally got around to watching CREED and.. wow. That was a good movie. I'd probably only ever seen the original Rocky movies once, though I watched Rocky Balboa a few times and really liked it. This was a great sequel/new direction to go in. Gotta see II now.

Also watched part of Infinity War (still awesome) and most of Wonder Woman (also still really good).

Also, this has a heck of a header now: https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/

Last edited: