Movie Discussions

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Saw Aquaman tonight. Was big, dumb and fun. At least it wasn’t sullen and impossibly chaotic. It was more like a long cartoon. They must have spent 90% of their budget on CGI. I liked the synthy score and the redhead. Otherwise, okay I guess...

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Shazam was freaking hilarious. It really is Big with superpowers and had the wife, daughter and I continuously laughing out loud once those powers arrive. Sadly the theatre was 90% empty at 6pm on Saturday. There was a family next to us and judging by reactions, it does get a bit scary intense for 5yr old boys in a few scenes.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Hmm I think I'm going to see it tomorrow evening, hope its good!

It still made #1 this weekend at the Box Office, but only $53M. It's gonna take some time before DC movies have the kind of Marvel opening weekend pull.

Aquaman made $67M, but also opened right before Christmas, with no Star Wars competition. Aquaman also made $800M out of its $1.1B overseas.. not sure Shazam has that kind of international appeal. (Big, dumb, loud, fun)

BUUUT.. hopefully this is DC turning a corner and they can release movies like this (which are like MCU Ant-man's) and also the big budget giant-ass movies, and keep them all good.

Justice League was on TV this weekend and it was on in the background and my 16-year old actually liked it.. sigh.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It's okay. My kids like TLJ. I cut them a little slack, as they also grew up with the prequels actually being part of the SW canon (so the bar is very low for them), and still get confused when I call "A New Hope" "Star Wars." And I'm like, "You know, the first one." "You mean The Phantom Menace?" "No... no I don't... :rolleyes:"

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
C'mon, guys, get it together over there.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/transformers/no-sequel-to-transformers-the-last-knight-planned-as-producer-backtracks-a167691

A Japanese media outlet quoted Transformers producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura last month as stating that scripts for sequels to Bumblebee and Transformers: The Last Knight were in the works at Paramount, refuting a previous report that Hasbro had officially declared Bumblebee a reboot.

Previously, the film had been marketed as a prequel but several elements severely contradicted the events that unfolded across Michael Bay's 5 Transformer movies.

Recently, /Film caught up with Bonaventura to set the record straight. The producer stated that the focus right now is on the script for a Bumblebee sequel and that there's been no decision on who will direct the next installment. However, his most notable comment was the simple "No" he provided when asked if the script in development would be a sequel to The Last Knight.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I liked it. It was a very pretty movie, something I begrudgingly accept was due to my biggest issue with the film: obnoxious use of CGI. They went absolutely bonkers, because.

Other minor issue was that it takes place hundreds of years from now (28th century) far far FAR from earth yet they have converted school buses from the 20th century on some distant planet. Really? Really?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Most movies don't do large time skips very well.. mostly because us puny 21st century people still need to understand things so they need to put it in context of something we understand.

Imagine a person from 1200 watching a movie about today, it'd all seem alien I'd imagine. With the way tech is advancing, do we not reasonably thing the year 2800 would be way beyond what we can even imagine? (if we're not all dead).

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I know what you're saying, totally, but that bus not being a futuristic transport is necessary context? There were no now-times vehicles in Blade Runner and people followed along just fine...I assume. Heh.

As an aside, do NOT watch the Cinema Sins video for the film before you see it.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The reviews I took seriously all said the same things knowing the history of their humor and said it's still the worst movie they have ever seen besides Ishtar. Something about their usual joking that completely falls flat no matter how badly you want to love it. I totally understand since the setting of it completely turned me off from day 1. I mean, the trailers had nothing for me.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I didn't watch any trailers or read any reviews. I wanted no tainting. Loving their other work, I assumed that I would love it so reading about it prior wasn't necessary. I was wrong, though I wouldn't have trusted any reviews anyway.

It just didn't seem like their normal humor. It all felt very forced and almost too nonsensical. Jokes and slapstick felt too obvious, like jr. high school kids with a gigantic budget.

There was some funny, but not much.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Watched Creed II.. was really good. Great extension of the Rocky saga.

There is some rap, sorry Eddie, but it was really well done. Great sequel to Rocky IV so many years later.

Rewatching Battle: Los Angeles right now.. I loved this movie at release.. and the soundtrack still gives me a boner.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It's really good though. Like other movies where rap makes sense.. it's fine in context. Unless you hate movies with black people because of black people I guess. It's not shoehorned in or in any way made to seem more important because it's rap. The best part is when the Rocky theme makes an appearance.

Both movies were good. In different ways. They both tie in (obviously) to Apollo Creeds legacy but in a good way. I can't think of a better way to follow up the awesome 80s movies than this.

Battle: LA? Still awesome. The soundtrack is God tier. So good. So inspirational. It's definitely a rah rah USA movie, but I love it. It holds up well. The shakey cam is annoying but goes away after the first 30 mins or so.