Movie Discussions

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I love me some Battle: LA and watch at least part of it every time I see it in the guide. I’ll take it over ID4 any day as my “aliens attack” flick. And yes, the epic soundtrack is in my regular playlist on my phone. I love the portrayal of the marines, their equipment and interactions in battle. Only wish the Osprey had been fully integrated at filming. Those old Sea Knights remind me how undersupplied the USMC has historically been. Nice to see them with some of the best new hotness lately.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
(And I fully realize they weren’t qualified on it) But I just wish they’d have opened up with the Bushmaster, at least for a few awesome rounds of 25mm HE. Would have been even more epic...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, Battle LA is/was awesome. So much just badass. A few little dumb things here and there (the we support the troops in the shops in supposed LA is laughable). Really noticed how not LA it was this time as someone who grew up/lives here. Otherwise it was all very solid. Wish it did better so we'd get a sequel. They should have let off the shakeycam a bit.. I get they wanted the Fallujah look but it's annoying for the first 30 mins.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, Battle LA is/was awesome. So much just badass. A few little dumb things here and there (the we support the troops in the shops in supposed LA is laughable). Really noticed how not LA it was this time as someone who grew up/lives here. Otherwise it was all very solid. Wish it did better so we'd get a sequel. They should have let off the shakeycam a bit.. I get they wanted the Fallujah look but it's annoying for the first 30 mins.
You know, a sequel crossed my mind as well, but then I decided maybe it is better off left alone. It's cool in concept, but I could see H'wood somehow screwing it up, and then diminishing the original. Anything moving forward would need to be relative to the new world developed in the movie. Thereby, it would be created by the writers/director - always a tricky thing if not handled perfectly well. They would need significant military advice, but also strong representation by futurists on how the military/country would develop weapons going forward. I'd have to think, with the losses from B:LA, there'd also be a less trained/equipped (drafted) militia that would have to close the gap. That could be interesting, but only if done well. Combining in new/captured technology would also have to be handled properly. That's a lot of balls in the air.

Shape of Water. Um, weird.
Yes, yes it was... I did a review on it somewhere back there.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
E2 was pretty good. Denzel is just getting the point where he's going to become less believable to be able to recover from all those fights (he's beginning to show his age). At some point soon they will need to look into passing the torch. Sad because I love me some Denzel. Dude is an amazing actor, and has been for a long time.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
My issue with E2 was that the whole government conspiracy nonsense wasn't needed. He is perfectly believable and entertaining dealing with the frat boys and gang bangers.. It seemed over the top to me to go so wild with ex military folk. I dunno.

Also.. BONER (no real new footage here its mostly montages but sets up Endgame perfectly).

Also speaking of Denzel.. I re-watched Deja Vu last night and it was really good! Holds up pretty well. I remember liking it back in the day.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Looked like a big ad to "go watch all these movies again to make sure you are ready for Endgame!" Don't get me wrong, I'm totally psyched for it, but that was more of a promo for everything leading up to it.

And Deja Vu is most definitely a forever favorite for me. Denzel at his finest.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
You should really watch things before spoiling yourself on the after credits scenes.. and/or using the whole "Captain Girl Power" shtick. lol

And to answer the Q.. maybe? Unclear really.

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Tesseract

Basically before this movie, we just knew Howard Stark had it, and then SHIELD had it, this gives a little more info on where it was/what it was doing between 1945 and 2012.

Was this planned ahead of time or whatever? Who knows. It doesn't necessarily break any existing continuity that I know of though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Watched A Silent Voice, my first anime OVA in quite a long while. It was pretty good, affecting, even. It sounds like it excised some stuff from the early part of the manga that would have been helpful in fleshing out why the protagonist is such a fucking dick, but these things happen.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Watched The Nun. Not even close to as enjoyable as the other films in the Conjuring universe. Super generic and it just felt like satanic hollyweirdos taking an opportunity to desecrate Christianity and its symbols. I'm hardly religious, or at the very least not what I think I should be, but honestly, it was kind of sickening.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I have that DVR'd but never seen any of the other films.. maybe I'll just delete it.

Watched Captain America: Winter Soldier again last night.. and I don't know if I've seen it again since the theater. I REALLY liked it, but never bought it before.

Anyway it holds up really well.. You can kind of tell everything since that point was really defined by the Russo Bros, and all their movies are the core of the MCU right now.

I got half way through Civil war but had to go to bed, will finish tonight.. and the Infinity War!

So all in all I watched (in advance of Endgame):

Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain Marvel
The Avengers
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War

These are all the ones I own in 4K. I also have Guardians 2 and Spider-man, but didn't feel either of those were really needed to refresh for Endgame. I do wish they'd re-released Thor and Iron Man in 4K prior to Endgame, but it is what it is.

I would have loved to had time to do the entire MCU, but didn't want to spend money on inferior versions and really didn't have the time.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hell yes, I am. That trailer made me hard, though they better not kill off Judeo-slattern couple! I'm also pretty sad Powers Boothe didn't live long enough to take part.

They've been talking about this movie for so long that I chalked it up to eternal vaporware. Too bad they can't retcon history and kill Hearst.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol. We are going on Sunday, after lunch... so I'm assuming I'll need at least one pee break. I'm sure we'll see it again at the discount theater as well, so I'll try the same approach.