Movie Discussions

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Costumes like Laura Croft have always bothered me when it comes to running and jumping thru the jungle. She would have died from a plethora of diseased bug bites before she ever found a treasure. Dress them for the mission at hand and then toss in a shower/poolside/evening gown scene if you must show off the assets.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Heh, funny you mention LC. I find the recent (2013) video game version (not to be confused with the recent movie version) so much hotter than the previous, skimpier clad versions of the video games, and even the Angelina Jolie version. She's reasonably dressed for expedition and looks a ton better than when they were obviously trying to turn on the young boys with past versions. They just rendered the character as a perfect (my opinion) specimen, who actually looks like she belongs in her environment.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
It's funny. I didn't grow up a Marvel fan, so I don't notice changes much if they stick to basic character designs with subtle reinvention. BUT, being a big Hulk fan growing up, the change I disliked most in the MCU was clothed Hulk in Endgame.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, also my least favorite. There was something less satisfying about the motion capture for him as well. Seemed less well done than Thanos somehow. I can't even really put my finger on it, just something off. I also never liked the suit & tie version of Beast. It was just too weird.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Exactly. The appeal of those characters are their monster-y designs. Don't cover them up! The same can be said for female characters to the boys who enjoyed them. Don't cover them up! Sure, they may've come to enjoy them more than skin deep, but the initial attraction was, well, skin deep. 😍

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
To a point though. Are they heroes or are they just eye candy? They should be functional exactly the same way the male heroes are. They can be very attractive in practical costumes, that look like they could actually function without needing superglue to hold them in place during a fight.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, good luck getting comic book accuracy on female costumes that actually function though. I thought WW captured it pretty well. Hers was pretty accurate and still functional. Scarlet Witch though, she'd be flashing everybody the second she started to fight in a comic accurate costume.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Same, and I prefer GG’s exotic look over LC’s all American one. I also like the shin and forearm armor over the go go boots and bracelets. So I’m on a generally happy streak for this version. Now if they could just find a way to move her over to the Asgardians of the Galaxy instead of the weird 1980’s knock off... :p

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gotta disagree on the GG vs LC point. LC, imo, was far more beautiful. GG, while beautiful for sure, isn't anymore attractive to me than the average hot chick I see in public. LC young was a freaking smokeshow!

Wait. Are we talking about them as themselves or in costume? In costume, yeah GG's version looked better. Though I wouldn't have minded more vibrancy from her costume.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think Gal in costume is way hotter than Linda, but that could be more costume preference.. I don't feel the LC costume did much (in retrospect) for her body.

She was a hottie in the 70s though (and probably 80s)

A bit before my time though so I wasn't ever in love with her.

Gal's no slouch though either.

I do think Gal suits the costume and character though, as she normally looks like a lady who could kick my ass normally.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Rocket Man was extremely enjoyable and I loved the way they matched his songs to the parts of his life that spawned them, giving each a deeper meaning. A solid A. Funny thing is we almost walked out on it because it’s yet another hidden musical (the previews never revealed this) and the first 15 minutes were utterly painful. I’m glad we stuck it out and the actor gets all my praise for singing all the songs ala Val Kilmer in The Doors.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a few movies on yet another long flight:

Captain Marvel - Wow, this one has to fall way down in the Marvel (ironnically) list for me, maybe even taking the bottom spot from Thor 2 or IM 3. I’d say it was just on par with DC movies and maybe X-Men ones. Nothing I wasn’t expecting from what I had heard, except for maybe the utter wussification of Fury, and the absolute unfunniness of it. I didn’t laugh out loud even once at anything approaching a joke, of which there were very few. It took itself sooooo seriously that it really wasn’t even very fun to watch.

A very unlikeable, boring, OP (like Superman - absolutely no vulnerabilities or lessons to be learned, she’s already a god) lead, next to no development of the characters (apparently they were all just born brilliant and virtuous, and perfectly able to modify and operate complex/even alien to them equipment) and generally a cliched, dull, underdeveloped story.

I won’t bother to pick apart the plot. That’s been done by people on YouTube that care a lot more about it than I do. And the worst is that I came in with super low expections, hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, I wasn’t. I really had zero connection with any of the characters (except for maybe one of the Skrulls), so the whole thing was just one big meh for me. If CM is supposed to take over leading the Avengers and carrying the MCU, I have little faith that it will be anything more than a virtual knock off of the original.

Glass - Generally pretty good, but definitely shows its much lower budget than most superhero movies. If you can do more with just the good acting and less wow factor, it’s a decent enough watch.

Lego Movie 2 - I wasn’t sure where it was going for quite a while (was actually concerned about it for a bit), but it pays off pretty good in the end. I’d put it on par with the first and the Batman one. Worth a look for sure.

Peppermint - While the concept has been done many times, I thought this wasn’t a bad execution (pun intended) of it. It’s the classic family gets murdered, bad guys get away with it, hero exacts revenge trope, but with the hero being the mom instead of the usual dad. I enjoyed it to the point where I could almost suspend disbelief for any flaws I saw. The gun and stunt work was solid (Jennifer Garner has obviously had some experience from The Kingdom and her spy TV show). Somehow, despite a couple Yeah, No moments, I really enjoyed it and was satisfied for the most part. Worth a look.

No Country for Old Men - Yes, this is an oldie. But I had never seen it and had quite a lot of flight time to kill. I enjoyed it for the most part, but ended up disappointed in the end. The movie does not have a satisfying payoff, let alone a resolution to the story. It was well acted and the suspense was intense, but it simply does not conclude. I guess I could still recommend it, but only if you have the spare time and can stand it to simply leave you hanging.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Saw Fast Times @ Ridgemont High for what seemed like the first time (probably the 10th or 15th). Seemed like the first because this was on either HBO or Showtime so NOTHING was edited! My first time seeing Phobe Cates & Jennifer Jason Leighs boobs!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
...the worst is that I came in with super low expectations, hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, I wasn’t..
Ugh. Bummer. That's what I was hoping for. Expecting complete garbage and then being proven wrong. If the wife never has interest in watching it, I think I'll just skip it like I did with BP. I sure hope they don't screw up Black Widow. I'm really looking forward to it.

Saw Fast Times @ Ridgemont High for what seemed like the first time (probably the 10th or 15th). Seemed like the first because this was on either HBO or Showtime so NOTHING was edited!
Haha. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago when I saw unedited Planes, Trains and Automobiles and National Lampoon's Vacation. I'm not sure I've ever seen either unedited, but wow, soooooo many f-bombs! Caught me way off guard.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The only thing fun about CM is when it's just her and Fury bantering back and forth in the 90's with memorable music being played. The beginning is annoying and once they go into space, it just crumbles everything good they built up while being on earth in the 90's. Pretty sad when the cat and the Blockbuster are the most memorable parts.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
2nd viewing was better for me since I wasn’t focused on the girl power stuff and was able to take in the rest. It really cemented just how much I dislike the character no matter who or what gender played it. If the next phase truly revolves around her like Ironman, then I can no longer get excited for Marvel films as a whole. It’s the same as Hotrod getting the Matrix of Leadership in the Transformers animated movie leading me to stop watching the daily show all together.

I do want to see the future Captain America movie I suspect is coming as long as the plot looks interesting. They made a solid choice on who they handed that baton to.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wish they had gone with Elizabeth Debicki (6'2"). With that height, she just would've been so much more believable in the 'girl power!' role. Not to mention that she's far more beautiful than Whatshername.

She's wearing flats.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
What’s funny is that when I googled “who should have played...” Captain Marvel was top result. If that doesn’t tell you something, I don’t know what will. Apparently ol’ Brie is not very popular.

Of the lists of potentials I saw, only Charlize Theron and maybe Blake Lively looked the part. CT is a little on the mature side of it, but I think she could have pulled it off, and BL is hard to picture in the roll, but maybe if she bulked up a little. Emily Blunt is a pretty good actress, but I have a hard time seeing her as the blond heroine. I didn’t recognize the others I saw, or know their work.

Honestly, I would have rather seen Brie Larson “act” like she wanted to be there at all, and have a decent plot and flattering costume to work with. She looks the part, but just doesn’t seem to enjoy even a second of playing it.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So I caught a couple more movies on the looooong way back to the world from that latest place far, far away:

The Mule - Really not bad. Ol' Clint is definitely showing his age. However, that perfectly fit the part in this case, and was generally pretty believable. Bradley Cooper was also pretty good in his role. Certainly worth a watch.

Spider-Man - Into the Spiderverse - In fairness, I fell asleep in this one (and didn't bother to go back and finish it). However, that's not saying it was terrible. It was... okay. I'd put it between Tobey McGuire Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man, about where Marvel Homecoming falls. It was good at times, meh at others. I guess it can be whatever it wants since it's all alt-universe or whatever. Not bad for a cartoon, that's for sure. Worth a look.

The Catcher was a Spy - I really liked this one. Paul Rudd was very good and very likable as usual. It was a pretty interesting story "based on real events." I'm not sure how much was actual and how much was made up for the sake of drama. There is some interesting concerns about his preferences. Whether or not that actually happened or if it was just ginned up so shmooze Hollywood, I don't know, but it was oddly more emphasized than I would imagine it would have been in real life. Otherwise, it was pretty good, and worth a watch.

And that rounded out all the new(er) movies United had to offer that I had any interest in seeing. After that I fell back and watched Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War yet again. And, of course, both of them were great! :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I saw Spiderverse recently as well.. tons of people talked it up as the best thing since.. ever.. and I thought it was.. very okay. It was entertaining, and I laughed a fair bit, I liked how they tied in some of the past Spiderman movies as well. The animation was cool, and I liked all the different styles with the different verses.. but.. I dunno, it didn't stick with me really. I may or may not ever watch it again and be fine with that.

Rewatched Dawn of the Dead (2004) last night.. man, it was not a good movie. I think I liked it when it came out.. but it did not age well. The fast zombie fad just does not sit well with me. Also really tired of the "people do stupid thing, get themselves all killed" trope.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Toy Story 4 is the best all around enjoyable movie I have seen in as long as I can remember. 100% made for adults and just constant laughs from beginning to end. It’s even disturbingly creepy for one of the plot lines. Go see it immediately, do not wait for home viewing. I can’t think of any other animated film that has ever nailed the adult audience to this extent. We (adults) were laughing far more than any kid in the theatre.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Uh no. Like I've always said, it sucks to watch movies/TV when you know stuff, pay even a little attention to details and have even the smallest capacity for critical thought.

Likewise, water supply piping is absolutely full of water, under pressure, even if they were to "turn down the pressure" there would still be no floating on top of the water. That only happens on the (nasty) sewer side going out of the building.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Imagine the thuper manly dudes sitting around doing the CGI for the film looking up images of piping or going to a supply store for reference then doing the CGI and putting the print they see on the outside of the pipe on inside. And no one corrects them before it hits theaters.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Re-watched Saving Private Ryan last night.. I got the 4K UHD disk. I haven't seen it in probably 15 years or something.

It was still really good and mostly holds up. The opening sequence is still impressive.. though it's funny now that when watching it I think of all the video games that ape'd that exact sequence, though I don't think any of them have completely topped it.

I did forget how many different 'big' actors were in this. They're everywhere! I guess they probably weren't big in 1998.

The Dolby Atmos track was on fire.. damn it was loud.. but sounded very good. I miss Spielberg doing good movies.