Movie Discussions

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wonder if they'll cover Torpedo 8's annihilation, or if they'll skip straight to the Dauntless squadrons going 3-of-4 on the IJN's flattops? Looks like we get some bullshit romance to drag things down, just like in Pearl Harbor (sucks, and I miss you...).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I was watching this cool (?) video yesterday about the Japanese perspective of the battle.

Really interesting, not a native English speaker, but interesting and I've heard the US side over and over again.

I have no faith the movie will be accurate.. it's fucking Roland Emmerich.. but I am sure it'll be entertaining popcorn trash. Bring the drinks.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The 1976 Midway movie was pretty strong for its time I thought, and didn't seem to glorify it or minimize the losses too much. But I actually had thought it was made well before '76 until I just looked it up. It seemed to line up with the History Channel version of how the events went down. The outcome had to have been devastating for the Japanese.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Going to see Avengers.. ONE LAST TIME tomorrow.

They're doing a mini-re-release with a 3 minute Stan Lee tribute, a deleted Hulk scene and Spiderman preview after the movie.

You also get a sweet little poster at participating locations

It comes out on disk on 8/13.. so pretty damn close. I did want to see it in theaters with the big screen and sound 1 more time though, so this is perfect.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Jumanji 2 looks hilarious. I wonder if they have to rescue the other two original kids as some other characters. Like will one of them be that Jonas guy in the game now? Maybe they'll have a cool cameo for the other one or something.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
And yeah I think with Jumanji 2 we'll see some misdirection and maybe some characters playing multiple different people? As people jump and jump out.. should be fun all around. It looks like the director and writers are the same as #1 so the humor should be consistent.

Eddie.. did you post the wrong link?

This weekend was a movie extravaganza!

Started on Friday with a helping of Soul Plane (2004)... it was on StarZ or something and I'd never seen it so.. why not. WHEW. That was a movie. It was pretty funny, I found myself laughing enough times to make it worth it. No way they could make that movie today though. Very dumb.. but that's kinda the point.

Next I finally got around to my first re-watch of Captain Marvel (2019). Man, I still don't know what you hataz are smoking. I still couldn't find anything wrong with this movie. It's not the biggest of stories, or the most essential of tales.. but I still feel it was more than good enough to be it's own standalone MCU intro movie. I stand by the fact that CM isn't supposed to be likable in this. Hell, she isn't even Captain Marvel in this (or in Endgame, they just call her Danvers). For the first half she's fully thinking she's a Kree.. and they all act like dicks, so her being a dick is par for the course. Over the 2nd half she comes around to reality, and does warm up a little.. but it's believable to me that people don't just change at the drop of a hat. Black lady.. Rambo? Rambeau? Whatever still seems to come across that Danvers was DIFFERENT before, since they had a much more friendly relationship.. even at the end. Fast forward to Endgame.. and she apparently hasn't been back to earth in a while.. and it's not till the end of Endgame.. after she's been interacting with the Avengers for apparently 5 years.. does she seem a little warmer "Hi Peter Parker". I imagine whatever movies she's in in the future MCU will have her get the "Captain Marvel" name and a better attitude maybe. Who knows. Either way, I still enjoyed this movie overall. It probably falls somewhere in the middle of my MCU ranking if I had one.. but not because it's bad, just that there are so many excellent movies in the MCU already.

Saturday morning and eldest and I drove to see Endgame (2019) one more time. We kinda wanted to see the Stan Lee tribute, the deleted scene, and the Spiderman preview.. but really it was just to get a sweet-ass poster.

Endgame-Poster.jpg

So sweet (ass). The theater was actually pretty full considering it was 10:45 AM on a Saturday, two months after the movie came out. It was my 4th viewing.. I knew I wanted to see it one more time in theaters, I just never found the time to get back.

So with this viewing.. I think it's confirmed that Endgame is my favorite movie ever. Not even sure that's the right word. I have movies I can watch over and over and over (Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Trouble in Little China, Eurotrip, Goonies, etc) that I would say I really like/enjoy, but are probably not my favorite movies. There are also movies that are my "favorite" movies, but I wouldn't watch them all the time (Lord of the Rings movies, Star Wars, etc). Endgame somehow fits in between those, at least for now. It hits me, firing on all cylinders. I love that it's basically 3 1-hour movies.. you have a somber drama for the first 1/3rd. Fun heist movie for the 2nd part. Balls to the walls action/emotional gut punch for the 3rd act. The movie seriously makes me feel some shit. I wasn't even a huge MCU fan.. I didn't see Thor3 in theaters! (What a mistake that was). I didn't even see Infinity War until like a month after release. I think my build up re-watch of a good portion of the MCU before Endgame really sold me on the whole thing.. I liked them before.. but I love it now. No idea how/why. Prior to Endgame, I'd say Return of the King was in this spot for me.. and I still enjoy it.. but this just takes it all to a whole new level with 22 movies worth of content being paid off in such a great fashion. So yeah.. loved it. The 16 year old spawn also got teary eyed.

Saturday night I subjected him to watching another of my movies I can watch all the time.. none other than The Interview. Man I love that movie.. so dumb and yet so funny.. ironic that Trump was meeting with Kim at the same time we were watching it!

Finally, ended Saturday night by finally watching Bird Box on Netflix. It was.. okay? There were definitely parts that were super tense and scary.. but also a lot that was just okay. I don't really like movies where you don't get a good explanation of things.. but overall it was fine. Especially for a Netflix movie (which are either good or really terribad).

Okay! Fun weekend.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Kinda an eye roll with the Ariel thing.. but I dunno how worked up I'm going to get about it. She's a damn mermaid.

Spiderman Far From Home however was fan fucking tastic. So good! Perfect follow up to Endgame insofar as kinda recentering things and providing context for where the world is now.

Also 2 after credits scenes.. and they're some of the best yet. I dig it!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I can see it already. If you don’t go and joyfully see the new and improved Lil’ Mermaid (and applaud it!), you’re a GD racist! It could be like TLJ x10 (If you didn’t love it, you are a hateful Misogynist!!1!). Not that I really care one way or the other, but ugh, drama... Wasn’t there already a movie and princess to address this? Oh wait, it didn’t do that well? Instead of doing it again, only better, let’s just modify an established property instead! Brilliant! Maybe I do care a little. I guess I just get annoyed when supposedly intelligent people make dumb decisions.

Wait, her name is Halle Berry? Is she a clone?

As for Spidey, we’ll probably catch it at the discount theater. I still gotta get my kids to watch the first one. Shouldn’t that be on TV by now?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
This isn't strictly movie related.. but I don't know where else to put it.

Crazy, Stupid, Love.. a sorta romantic comedy from 2011.. was funny, had some good moments, anywhere there was the babysitter who was in love with Steve Carrell's character.. and she was super cute!

And now in 2019..

!

Yikes! She's only like 30 too..

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I've always dug that girl. Kind of dopey and soft spoken. She had her own show for a minute that didn't make it and she's had lots of other bit parts. She turned up in an ep of Big Bang Theory, and was in Lucy and Warm Bodies off the top of my head, always looking so cute. But sheesh, she looks tired and worn out there.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So Bumblebee was great. I really liked it. A couple of nitpicks.. aren't there always? John Cena's character seemed really dumb.. like he should have had a better moment of realizing Bumblebee was a good guy.. and some of the tech I guess.. but it did feel very 80s and I loved the music. Action was much better than the Bayformers.. I actually recognized some of the Transformers for once (I only ever played with G1). I hope they make more like this and just ignore the other movies.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com