Movie Discussions

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
They'll need to do a lot of that I think, to push the franchise along. Tony and Steve will be tough to follow. At least (the new and improved, assuming he returns to form) Thor is still in the mix, and pairing him with the Guardians should offer at least one or two fun ones in that genre. I also want to see Spidey 2 and maybe 3, but otherwise, I'm not excited for things to come, at least as of yet.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Thor4 by the same people who did Thor3 (and not 1 or 2) so I am excited. I was worried a little that they'd get some other yahoo to do Thor4 and it wouldn't feel the same.

Still not sure if Guardians 3 is coming out before or after this one, so who knows if this or that will be Asguardians..

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'm not excited either. Some of their "inclusive" SJW sounding comments they've made have me concerned not to mention the loss of the foundational characters.

As for the Thor topic. I'm wondering how much of Hulk being present made it the great film that it is.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm not excited either. Some of their "inclusive" SJW sounding comments they've made have me concerned not to mention the loss of the foundational characters.

As for the Thor topic. I'm wondering how much of Hulk being present made it the great film that it is.
Honestly, I thought petulant toddler Hulk/dressed-as-Tony Banner were more annoying than anything. The best parts of Thor 3 were Thor's new persona, his interactions with Loki ("get help" of course), the intro of Valkyrie and her interactions with the Revengers, Korg, and of course the Grandmaster and his minions. And Taika Waititi's synthworld/Led Zeppelin presentation was epic!

Speaking of Asguardians...

OH NOES CHRIS PRATT MIGHT LOVE HIS COUNTRY

Chris Pratt is pretty solid. I like that my son kind of views him as somewhat of a role model. He's not afraid to stand up/out for his faith in Hollywood, and just seems like the kind of guy you'd enjoy hanging out with on a weekend.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Honestly, I thought petulant toddler Hulk/dressed-as-Tony Banner were more annoying than anything. The best parts of Thor 3 were Thor's new persona, his interactions with Loki ("get help" of course), the intro of Valkyrie and her interactions with the Revengers, Korg, and of course the Grandmaster and his minions. And Taika Waititi's synthworld/Led Zeppelin presentation was epic!
I loved all of those things as well, but I also enjoyed Hulk as presented. Him and Thor's interactions were all fantastic. Grandmaster interactions were hilarious and it's a bummer that he/they won't be a part of the T4. My fave part of the film, though, was how heavily 70s/80s it was. The deco and music...magnifique!

As for Thor's persona, it won't be like Thor 3, it'll be a continuance of Endgame, at least according to the filmmakers. He'll still be broken and fat, supposedly. And I can't find the articles or quotes any longer, but they are keeping him fat for SJW fat acceptance reasons. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but "superheroes can be fat too".

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
As for Thor's persona, it won't be like Thor 3, it'll be a continuance of Endgame, at least according to the filmmakers. He'll still be broken and fat, supposedly. And I can't find the articles or quotes any longer, but they are keeping him fat for SJW fat acceptance reasons. I'm paraphrasing a bit, but "superheroes can be fat too".
Sweet. Dad Bod Thor is my hero.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I dunno. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts out as Slob Thor, but the movie progresses him back to at least some in between version of himself, maybe Starlordesque - not toned up so much any more, but certainly built like a tank. Like I could see Waititi doing something of a Rocky training montage or something like that for sure.

I really hope they do the Asgardians of the Galaxy. Thor with Rocket and Groot was epic in Endgame.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
As Thor was coming out of the funk toward the end (after the battle/funeral), he gave New Asgard to Valkyrie and decided he was going to join the GotG to head back into space, presumably to find Gamora v.1.0. He and SL kind of jockeyed for leadership and Thor let SL be in charge as it were. You could tell SL was still very (comically) intimidated by Thor's presence, even in his slobbish state. SL didn't come out and address anything really, except to continue the awkward partnership, with Thor subtly subverting any authority SL had. It was awkward and hilarious at once. I can't wait to see more, especially with Rocket and Drax stirring the pot.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm mixed. I so want it to be good, but I'm not convinced it will be T2 and not ID2 or MIB4. I kind of wish they put him in an F model so he could have a RIO there in the cockpit with him, someone awesome (either near the same age or young and irreverent like he was) to bounce insults off of and vice versa. A lot of the best moments in the original were between the pilots and RIOs.

Other observations: From the space helmet, looks like ol' Mav will be taking a ride in a U2 or the like? Also he was a Navy Seal at some point (doing the casket ceremony)? Girl pilot challenging his worldview of course :rolleyes:. And an F-14 at the end? Whaaaa?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Man, you people can hate anything lol

I am guessing from the trailer that there will be some sort of Drone/AI adversary or replacement they have to go against. Maybe it goes rogue, or its from another country. The spacesuit'ish thing is probably something to do with that.

One of the younger kids is Goose's kid apparently. Wonder if the F-14 will be some sort of homage. Curious if it'll be actually in the movie or not.

Holy shit.. this is directed by the guy who directed Cruise in Oblivion (AMAZING) and also did the "Starry Night" commercial for Halo 3 and "Mad World" for Gears of War.. AND written by McQuarrie who did the last couple of Mission Impossible films.. my boner is so big its too big to fail!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Not hating, just concerned. At least the planes look pretty well done. If it's CGI (like that flying at 50' one has to be), it appears to be the good stuff. Hopefully they got as much military support to use real Hornets as possible. I guess I just want to see a little more than just "your kind is no longer welcome here" Maverick in it (despite the name). Maybe the next trailer will have a glimpse at some of the other new and old characters and a hint of a storyline?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
*Top Gun Anthem*
*dat leather jacket*
*dat GPZ900R*

Excuse me while I clean up this nut. Now that that is handled, there was a bit too much nostalgia-tugging. I'm seeing sequel trilogy-levels of cribbing. I'll still give it a shot, especially if they work in a synthwave cover of "Danger Zone".

It: Chapter 2's final trailer dropped today, too:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Seems like they have full support from the Navy again..

Also a great intro @ comic con.. wish I was there this year!

That's good news on the flying. I have a slight concern that he might be stretching it on the low flying and flying over the mountain peak and down. I just don't see them letting their pilots fly like that. But you never know. The original apparently had a huge impact on recruitment for years, so maybe they bent the rules for them a bit. Either way, more actual footage is certainly welcome, and Tom seems motivated. All good stuff.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
That's good news on the flying. I have a slight concern that he might be stretching it on the low flying and flying over the mountain peak and down. I just don't see them letting their pilots fly like that. But you never know. The original apparently had a huge impact on recruitment for years, so maybe they bent the rules for them a bit. Either way, more actual footage is certainly welcome, and Tom seems motivated. All good stuff.
I think I read somewhere that he does the actual flying in this.. in SOME scenes.. he isn't legally allowed to fly military jets as far as I am aware.. there is a scene with what kinda looks like a P-51. I bet the F-18's are the two seater variety and they CGI the pilot out, so he's technically there, but just not flying it.

He flew the helicopters in Fallout, and probably could do it if they let him.. come on, Commission the man!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think I read somewhere that he does the actual flying in this.. in SOME scenes.. he isn't legally allowed to fly military jets as far as I am aware.. there is a scene with what kinda looks like a P-51. I bet the F-18's are the two seater variety and they CGI the pilot out, so he's technically there, but just not flying it.

He flew the helicopters in Fallout, and probably could do it if they let him.. come on, Commission the man!
Whaaaa? Yeah, no way he flies a Super Hornet, certainly not in the ways he's shown doing it (just above the deck and doing high performance maneuvers between mountain peaks) in the trailer. But, like you said, I could see them putting him in a back seat (with mounted camera) and getting some good reaction stuff of him with the back window behind him. It's certainly a cool perspective. They might even let him take the stick and rudders at altitude... for a minute... with a pilot having his hands and feet on it too... Maybe. But yeah, I could definitely see him piloting the prop plane. He and Harrison probably hang out at the snack bar at the airport :p.

Pretty sure he wasn't doing the stunt flying in Fallout. Maybe some of the takeoffs and landings. It's one thing to be a stunt monkey strapped to the outside of a plane. It's entirely another to be a stunt helo pilot. No way he's got the chops :LOL: for that. They wouldn't risk him, the aircraft and the crew like that.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Is Jason Mewes wearing dentures, or is his shit capped? Goddamn, they are old. Kind of appreciate the cameos, and that they brought back Justice. Didn't see Amy, though.

I AM THE CLIT COMMANDER!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Whaaaa? Yeah, no way he flies a Super Hornet, certainly not in the ways he's shown doing it (just above the deck and doing high performance maneuvers between mountain peaks) in the trailer. But, like you said, I could see them putting him in a back seat (with mounted camera) and getting some good reaction stuff of him with the back window behind him. It's certainly a cool perspective. They might even let him take the stick and rudders at altitude... for a minute... with a pilot having his hands and feet on it too... Maybe. But yeah, I could definitely see him piloting the prop plane. He and Harrison probably hang out at the snack bar at the airport :p.

Pretty sure he wasn't doing the stunt flying in Fallout. Maybe some of the takeoffs and landings. It's one thing to be a stunt monkey strapped to the outside of a plane. It's entirely another to be a stunt helo pilot. No way he's got the chops :LOL: for that. They wouldn't risk him, the aircraft and the crew like that.
I dunno....

The Flying
When Ethan finally reaches the cockpit, Cruise takes over flying duties. In a featurette, producer Jake Myers describes how that they developed special camera rigs to show that Cruise himself was really flying.

After securing his commercial license, Cruise needed to get stunt training so he could perform sophisticated maneuvers like downward spirals while acting. "If you let go of the instruments normally on a green screen, you're not going to crash, nothing happens. You let go [and say,] 'sorry, cut, let me do another one,'" Eastwood says. "On this, if you let go of the instruments, you're crashing, you're dead."

The shot lists for the aerial sequences were planned out, but beholden to weather conditions. The shots you see in the film are long takes, without VFX work, and both Ethan and August's helicopters in the sky. Cavill was strapped into his with a professional film pilot operating the controls. "It was literally like a helicopter ballet in the sky with all the choppers and the film choppers and everything," Eastwood adds.
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/mission-impossible-fallout-tom-cruise-helicopter-stunt

I mean I wouldn't be surprised, but then again Tom Cruise does the insane.

As far as flying a SuperHornet.. yeah probably not. Would you be able to say no to freaking Maverick asking you to take the reigns for a minute? Fuck the pilots with him probably grew up on Top Gun!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Truly, the Navy pilots of today were likely very much inspired by TG. Like I said, at higher altitude, "Sure Tom, take the stick for a minute." As for the high performance stuff, I think he might have been in the back seat at best.

As for the chopper stuff... really sounds like hype, but I've been wrong at least once before... or at least I thought I was... :p

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Truly, the Navy pilots of today were likely very much inspired by TG. Like I said, at higher altitude, "Sure Tom, take the stick for a minute." As for the high performance stuff, I think he might have been in the back seat at best.

As for the chopper stuff... really sounds like hype, but I've been wrong at least once before... or at least I thought I was... :p
I mean I am sure they CG'd out the cameras and added bullets and stuff but... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I mean I am sure they CG'd out the cameras and added bullets and stuff but... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Color me impressed. I now have the distinct feeling that that is how he will go out. I can see the headline now: Superstar Actor Pilot Tom Cruise Dies in Aerial Stunt Accident while Filming Mission Impossible 10.

The trailer shot of Tom catapulting off the deck is 100% him in the backseat of a super hornet. I thought that immediately and during all 25 rewatches. It’s real footage, but definitely back of the bus trickery.
That's gotta be the best way to get that "he's really flying it" illusion. Show real Hornets with real pilots doing the stunts and dogfighting (with a little CGI enhancement where needed to make it look really really close) and get some good back seat footage of Maverick while the pilot is doing cat launch and similar high performance turns and such at safe altitude.

View attachment 12507

Interesting.. shows he's a test pilot. Or was. Probably where the space suit comes in?
Ah, good call. I guess if he really had his choice of assignments, why not?

Ok, Detective, now how about the SEAL funeral? :p

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
TopGun-Wings.png

Appears they're Naval Aviator wings.. with a Marine honor guard consisting of 7 rifles, so likely not a "full honor" funeral but a "standard honor".. so likely below an O-6 rank.

I haven't seen any prior history for aviators to smash their wings into a coffin.. but I don't see anything saying it CAN'T be done. In theory the dead person could be a SEAL and an Aviator, and maybe after this scene all the SEALS come up and do their tridents alongside the wings? Showing solidarity? I dunno.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
An excellent attempt, but, at best it currently seems to be an appropriation of a solemn tradition (and I did recognize it wasn't the trident). I truly hope it is not an attempted rip off for the sake of recognition, and I assume the Navy would never endorse something that would piss off their best and brightest. I guess we'll have to wait and see, unless some additional information drops between now and opening night.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
We shall see! With all the input and help and closeness of the Navy with this production (and the original Top Gun), I can't imagine anything in the movie will not be approved by the Navy.

A cool video where a guy who was a former Top Gun instructor goes through the trailer.. mentions the funeral for a moment.