Movie Discussions

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
UH OH!!! CONTROVERSY!

Not really.. stupid people trying to make something where there is nothing AS USUAL. It's a different patch, the one in the original movie was from his father.. it was his fathers jacket, clearly he's replaced it with his mission in the first movie in the Indian ocean

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
We shall see! With all the input and help and closeness of the Navy with this production (and the original Top Gun), I can't imagine anything in the movie will not be approved by the Navy.

A cool video where a guy who was a former Top Gun instructor goes through the trailer.. mentions the funeral for a moment.

Nice!

Observations about the video:

Kudos to the guy on the Blue Angels sneak pass reference. That's also the only time I've ever seen a military pilot fly that low. He certainly reinforces that that is not a normal thing in military aviation.

I love that he verified our back seat Maverick theory. :thumbsup:

And, yep, he seems as baffled by the funeral scene as we are.

Ah, I like that he pointed out the location used for the mountain scenes. I didn't realize the Sierra Nevada mountains looked so much like the Alps. Way more extreme and snowier than I would have expected from CA. I only got as far as Yosemite, but I don't remember them being quite that extreme. We don't have mountains like that on the East Coast.

I was also surprised when he confirmed that the hop and roll over the mountain ridge was not that extreme. Heh, who knew?

Iran? Is all this crap happening in the Strait of Hormuz just a big publicity stunt for TG: Maverick??? :troll:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Heck of a long run promotional stunt!

Yeah the Sierra Nevadas get pretty intense. Up by Tahoe and stuff, kinda the CA/NV border area and stuff.

Either way I hope this turns out good, this trailer was clearly meant to evoke nostalgia and "ooo cool!" and very little else since it doesn't explain anything, which is fine. I imagine we'll get a trailer introducing the new faces as well.

If Jester and Viper have a cameo I might mess myself right there in the theater.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Nice!

Observations about the video:

Kudos to the guy on the Blue Angels sneak pass reference. That's also the only time I've ever seen a military pilot fly that low. He certainly reinforces that that is not a normal thing in military aviation.

I love that he verified our back seat Maverick theory. :thumbsup:

And, yep, he seems as baffled by the funeral scene as we are.

Ah, I like that he pointed out the location used for the mountain scenes. I didn't realize the Sierra Nevada mountains looked so much like the Alps. Way more extreme and snowier than I would have expected from CA. I only got as far as Yosemite, but I don't remember them being quite that extreme. We don't have mountains like that on the East Coast.

I was also surprised when he confirmed that the hop and roll over the mountain ridge was not that extreme. Heh, who knew?

Iran? Is all this crap happening in the Strait of Hormuz just a big publicity stunt for TG: Maverick??? :troll:
It’s all the videos of local celebs hitching rides with the Angels that allowed me to pick out the backseat shenanigans. They don’t seem too bothered with hiding the shape of the canopy in this trailer Which certainly does not match GoPro footage of single seat Hornet aviators

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You poor soul.

It was..... okay. I guess. I felt like it could have been so much more. As it is I don't feel it worked as a Prometheus sequel OR an Alien prequel. Just kinda.. wtf.

Dem flutes though ;)
Yeah, it was okay, I guess. Granted, I kind of lost track of the lore as the movies got worse and worse, but it seems like they've been (poorly) trying for two movies now to provide some sense of origin to the Xenomorphs and that ship full of eggs from the original Alien movie. All they have really done, at least to me, is to muddy the waters with these weird evolutionary ancestors of the black nasties we all loved in the originals and to reveal even more the limitations of trying to imagine future technology in the '70's and '80's vs now.

And, of course, as a realist kind of guy, I've always had serious concerns about the growth rates of the creatures (another reason to love Aliens as the best of the litter - the creatures had plenty of time to grow big and nasty before the Marines showed up). It's amplified even more in Covenant by the near instantaneous growth from what amounts to spores into a near full grown beast capable of killing humans easily, having only consumed the innards of a human prior :wtf:. It just doesn't ring as realistic so therefore is not scary. And if the whole spores to monster thing works so effectively, why would they ever evolve to utilize the face huggers? Anyway, knowing stuff and critical thinking definitely makes watching movies much less fun.

And apparently the creatures are only an ends to means. The real threat is AI in the form of the synthetics (or at least one of them), right? That said, it was predictable and did little to progress the actual lore, but it was fun to watch, the best part being that piece of crap racist liar Jussie Smollet getting reverse mouth rammed by a Xeno. Now that was poetic... :troll:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I had no idea he was in that movie! How funny..

And yeah, none of it makes logical sense. Alien -> Aliens made sense that you could follow. The Alien creatures mostly followed the same patters.. Alien 3 was kinda weird, and the rest just went batshit.

I don't know why it's so hard to just be consistent. I liked the idea that the Aliens were some mysterious ALIEN race out in space.. not some bio weapon that was made by.. giant people to kill little people.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Unless I misunderstood (always a possibility) the intent in Covenant (or Prometheus, which I only remember the Cinema Sins of), they were actually a victim of the original and interim evolutions of the Xenos and it was
David
who "perfected" the final creature.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
"Maybe" seems to be the right answer. None of it is clear.

In Prometheus there are etchings/depictions of ALIENS straight up looking like Aliens.. then the worm thing or whatever turns into the Alien-like thing (from the Giant Facehugger). In Covenant the Alien-like thing from the spores is closer.. but still different.. then we had the eggs (from ???????) down below from I guess David.. and that kinda turned into a 'normal' Alien.. but if so.. why? If you want to kill everyone the spores are a way better way to go.

Then he packs away a couple frozen tiny facehugger things.. okay. Headed to a human colony.. okay.

Either way it does zero to explain how "DAVIDS alien eggs" ended up on the Engineers crashed ship in ALIEN. If anything, that crashed ship should have had the containers with the spores or whatever. Since David apparently killed all the Engineers on that planet. Sure, okay, maybe a few survived. Maybe a sequel would have had DAVID hunting down the remaining Engineers and infecting them with HIS Aliens, which is how it got there.. but as of now it's just sloppy.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Oh, good. So I'm not the only one who is unclear on how this is all supposed to lead to the crashed ship. And yeah, why go from airborne spores from lil' pods to big ol' (torchable) eggs on the ground, especially when the spores become full grown Xenos (or some variation) in about an hour or so anyway? (Not to mention the question of exactly how he even created them with limited resources since that's normally the job of a Xenoqueen). Sometimes movies are just dumb. Why not just always have eggs from a naturally evolving super species and a significant gestation period, like the originals? Are they worried they can't fill in enough plot to keep our young paying attention that long? Nah, probably just lazy lazy screenwriting.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It's so dumb because the story is perfectly fine without jumping through all these hoops. Let it start as the Engineers or whatever found the Aliens in the wild, adapted them to their use, but then with them all dead, life.. uh.. finds a way, and they come back and get 'wild' again. Or even make it so the stupid humans let them loose or whatever, if thats your angle.. ugh stupid hollywood.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, I kinda wondered that too. I wish Cameron would have stayed attached to the franchise, and the Terminator franchise as well, as later movies would have been much better in both had he IMO. Instead, he had to go off and make those absolute duds Titanic and Avatar :p, neither of which I like better than Aliens or T2.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So after seeing the Top Gun: Maverick trailer the other day.. I saw THE FINAL COUNTDOWN was on TV.. so I recorded it and watched it the other night.. I forgot how much I liked the movie.. even if it doesn't really make a lick of sense.

So cool seeing the F-14 doing F-14 things though.

Crazy to think.. it's been longer between the release of the movie and now, than it was when it released to December 6th, 1941. Fuck we're old! Love seeing the "Zero" dogfight with the F-14.

I really wanted to see them fuck up the Japanese fleet.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean give Superman the same arc as Captain America and its fine. Captain America hit adversity because he stood up for his values, and had to deal with that in a different world.. he didn't slum it to try and fit in. Was it always the best course of action? Probably not (See his feud with Tony and resulting in Infinity War), but he always stayed true to himself.

The DC-centric vision of making everyone "dark and troubled" is just so edgy and lame now.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Went with the wife to see the new Lion King today. Pretty much shot for shot of the original. Amazing CGI though. That’s for sure. I was hoping for a little something more, but it was mighty impressive for what it is.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Had a Netflix movie night with the wife last night. Watched 3 movies that ranged significantly in quality:

I Am Mother - A very interesting mainly psychological flick that keeps you questioning who’s lying and who’s telling the truth throughout. I wish it had a little more conclusive ending, but overall, not bad, and worth a look.

Skyline - I remembered seeing the previews for this movie back in the day and just never got around to watching it until last night. I’ll say, decent CGI is helpful in making what amounts to a low budget flick look like a big budget Sci-Fi movie. I liked that the movie was mostly about what regular (if a little douchebaggy) folks would do in an alien invasion. I would have been fairly satisfied with that, but at the end, it went away from that, and tried to make it more purposeful. It kinda falls apart then. Still worth a look though.

Beyond Skyline - After watching the first one, we decided to watch the second one as a lark really. No way it was any good really, right? Right. It’s got Rumlow as the star, right? Yeah... it was the dumbest movie we’ve seen in a long time. It jumps right off the dumbest parts of the first one, then it can’t decide where it takes place, whether it’s an alien movie, a Rambo movie or a Kung fu movie. Seriously, we were between falling asleep and asking :wtf:throughout. Just a huge, long train wreck. Is it so bad it’s good? Only time will tell.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I still need to see Skyline.. guess I'll be skipping the sequel.

I did want to see the Mother one.. that's the one with the robot and stuff in the future or something right?

Binged Cobra Kai season 2 (talking about that in the TV thread) this weekend, but one of the jokes was a quick aside to Iron Eagle.. so after we were done I popped it in and let my 16 year old see the glory that is Iron Eagle for the first time.. it was still pretty good, not amazing like Top Gun, but pretty good. So funny seeing how much emphasis they put on all the base/radar/intelligence tech.. it looks so outdated now. 16 year old thought it was fine, so I'll accept that.