Movie Discussions

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I still need to see Skyline.. guess I'll be skipping the sequel.

I did want to see the Mother one.. that's the one with the robot and stuff in the future or something right?

Binged Cobra Kai season 2 (talking about that in the TV thread) this weekend, but one of the jokes was a quick aside to Iron Eagle.. so after we were done I popped it in and let my 16 year old see the glory that is Iron Eagle for the first time.. it was still pretty good, not amazing like Top Gun, but pretty good. So funny seeing how much emphasis they put on all the base/radar/intelligence tech.. it looks so outdated now. 16 year old thought it was fine, so I'll accept that.
Yes, Mother is primarily about a kid raised in a lab by a robot. It grows from there, but that's the foundation of it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Okay, I laughed

A thousand years from now die Juden are still gonna be ass-blasted over Hitler, whilst simultaneously ignoring all the shit they pulled in the bad old days, in the name of being "god's chosen".

Binged Cobra Kai season 2 (talking about that in the TV thread) this weekend, but one of the jokes was a quick aside to Iron Eagle.. so after we were done I popped it in and let my 16 year old see the glory that is Iron Eagle for the first time.. it was still pretty good, not amazing like Top Gun, but pretty good. So funny seeing how much emphasis they put on all the base/radar/intelligence tech.. it looks so outdated now. 16 year old thought it was fine, so I'll accept that.
Iron Eagle was always a poor man's Top Gun, but it has its moments. The sequels, though. WOOF!
Noice, IF it doesn't drag.
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1088189-rambo-last-blood-earns-hard-r-rating

................................................................................................
Also noice!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean it's Rambo killing Cartel members, Hard R.. and I think it'll be good.

I do think RAMBO (2008) did a good job of sending off the character with the ending, but I'm always down for more. "Last Blood" is a kind of nice end title for the series. Should have just been LAST BLOOD like FIRST BLOOD was the only title.. everyone knows he's Rambo.. but I get it for marketing purposes.

We NEED an homage poster to this, come on!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
We watched Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead. I'm reeeeeeeally starting to enjoy older movies far more than newer ones. Yet another sign that I'm getting old and out of the target demo they're making most movies for.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
What's funny is the "Deplorables" are the good guys it seems.. they're being hunted by the evil elites.. isn't that what Right-wing conspiracy sites are all about? Seems weird that those were the ones who screamed so loudly about it. It doesn't seem like the story would glorify it.. since it's all about the deplorables fighting back.

And yeah I hope it makes it to netflix like The Interview did. (God I love that movie, they hate us cause they anus!)

I will say it was bad timing for them with the shootings/etc.. but.. meh.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I liked the first one actually, looking forward to eventually seeing this..

Watched GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS over the weekend.. it was fine. The humans were the worst part, and there was basically zero tactical sense to.. anything, which was kinda frustrating, but I tried not to think too much about it.

Re-watched Outbreak last night.. it was okay. Wasn't quite as good as I remembered.. but it was still entertaining. I remember being super scared of viruses when it originally came out.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

Looks... I dunno. I'll see it, of course. I hope there is some misdirection going on, as it seems pretty formulaic from what they've shown. Where is John? I will be curious to find out who the Arnold Terminator is, as supposedly the other movies didn't exist.. and the T1 one was destroyed as was the T2 one.

I have been infected by G.I.*EDDIE a bit, and the GIRL POWER and IMMIGRANT nonsense is a bit off putting.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Saw Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last Friday and couldn't possibly say enough good things about it.

Saw Hobbs and Shaw on Sunday and will say the first 2/3rds were great fun with surprising cameos before it completely jumped the shark in Samoa.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I want to see both of those but neither enough to bother going to the theater I don't think. I've been enjoying catching them on digital when they hit the Xbox.

I feel like the Marvel movies are the only thing that get me into theaters nowadays. I wanted to see.. Crawl? I heard it was good.. but.. time is short.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a couple newish movies on a flight recently.

John Wick 3 - I do enjoy me some JW, there’s no doubt there, but I’m afraid it’s starting to get a little stale for me. The never ending stunt fest has to be backed up with some more interesting and/or likable new characters, and some new plot dynamics. I felt like pretty much everything in 3 had been done (and maybe better) in 1 or 2. If they keep going, they are going to have to bring up the entertainment value of the flicks, at least a little, for me to stay engaged. And, for the love of Pete, let the guy recover at least a little, before subjecting him to the next life ending fall or car impact or bullet/knife wound. Still worth a look, but waning in my opinion. There’s a shark in the water.

Alita - Battle Angel - I wasn’t sure how I was going to like this one. I had heard pretty good things, but wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the animation. Well, I actually liked it pretty well. The story wasn’t super original, but it was told in a very relatable way (if it’s possible to relate to a cyborg from the future I guess). Plus, the main characters were generally likable, so that helped, and the animation was very solid, at least on the relatively small screen I was watching. Definitely worth a look.

Living in the Future’s Past - I had an idea going in where this documentary was headed, but I figured I’d give it a chance. Well, it turns out it was not overbearing and presents its case at least relatively rationally. It invites some mildly differing opinions to chime in, but never really challenges anthropomorphic global warming. That’s fine, but at least it does recognize that many have essentially taken climate change theory as their substitute religion, and speaks a little of the dangers of that. It does encourage people to make lifestyle changes that they can tolerate and that are within their ability to stick with. Overall, not too much to ask I think, so I can mildly endorse it, even though I have serious disagreements with a number of the premises it takes as gospel. Worth checking out.

Edit: I knew I was forgetting something (forgive my jet lag, or is it that forgettable?)

Shazam! - Ok, I had preconceptions going in. I have no real background or interest in the character and, as a hero, I think he looks kinda dumb. But I had seen/read pretty decent reviews of it. So, it was a long flight with limited choices, so why not? Well... it was about as I would have expected, but in a different way. It was more coherent than most of the recent DC fare, but was generally linear and predictable. It wasn’t as dark as B v. S or SS, but had some character animations that I wouldn’t want my youngest kids watching. So where does that leave the movie for me? It kind of reminded me of The Last Action Hero but I’m actually more likely to watch that one again, because I wouldn’t be worried my kids would get nightmares from it. It was clever and funny a couple times, but generally fell very flat for me. I’ll probably never see it again, but it wasn’t terrible. Should you watch it? Meh...

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
JW3.. I can see that, I liked it, I felt it was more over the top than the other ones, but it seemed to fly by with all the action craziness. The whole "secret society" stuff was never my favorite about the series.. so it'll be interesting to see where they go with 4. The hotel shootout was glorious though. I think the fact that you know most of the people in the movie are actually pro's with the guns gives it some extra bonus points from me.

Alita.. I liked it. Saw it in theaters actually. My biggest complaint was I felt like it was just really getting going and it ended, and it didn't do super well in theaters so a sequel is ???. Otherwise I thought it was good, watched it again at home and thought the same.

Shazam.. I saw it twice in theaters and I liked it both times. Felt like the most "Marvel" of DC movies so far. The monsters were super scary though, I told a friend not to bring his kids due to that. I think it'd be fine for 11/12 and up probably. I liked the foster kid story though, it was heartwarming enough. The other DC jokes were also gold.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Fuck that was creepy as hell, it was straight horror movie levels! I loved it, but was really taken aback.. especially since the trailers/etc were so playful.

I hope they don't change it, as it was fully a PG-13 movie.. but it was just different since most Marvel movies you could take a 6-year old to (I took my 6-year old to see Captain Marvel lol) despite the PG-13 rating.

I don't think I'd take the 6-year old to see Justice League.. but that's because I'm a good parent.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a couple movies and some documentaries (rather than other movies I had heard were garbage) on the return trip, along with the entire final season of The Big Bang Theory and some game time (that’s what happens when you have 20 hours of flight time alone):

Dumbo - It was okay I guess. The story was generally the same as the old one, as I recall (it’s been a while - if I had ever actually watched it through all the way at all) - but with a little extra helping of the modern trope of “all southern males are just generally ignorant and evil.” I actually fell asleep through part of it, so I won’t fully pass judgement, but yeah, the “woman smart, man dumb and bad” took away from an otherwise okay story. It’s easy to see why this one didn’t do as well as the other live action remakes.

Aladdin - This one was actually a lot better than I expected. Will Smith exceeded my expectations as the Genie. His singing skills aren’t up to that of the animated singers (or Robin Williams, if that was actually him singing), but overall it was very entertaining and I thought the actors all did a great job as the characters they portrayed. I don’t know how well it worked on the big screen, but the genie effects didn’t look too clunky on my airplane screen. They emphasized Jasmine a bit more than in the animated version and gave her a little more “girl power,” but it was handled much better than most of the movies overpromoting it lately, and I didn’t mind because Naomi Scott could carry it and looked fantastic in her role.

My only slight annoyance was (if you can believe it) I thought the princess’ servant girl was too white for the part (Whitewash!!!1!1). I suppose it was possible that she could have been just a very, very pale Arab person, but it was kind of distracting. She got a fair amount of attention since the Genie took an interest in her. Was that in the original? I don’t remember it being in there, but it actually added to the story, so meh. Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie and give it a high recommendation. I’m actually looking forward to my kids seeing it.

I also watched a few pretty decent documentaries since the other movies available I had seen or were not to my interest. I’d recommend seeing all of these (particularly if you are on a plane with way more time on your hands than good movies that you haven’t already seen):

The China Hustle - This is a pretty decent doc on how companies in China have been overvaluing themselves, popping up on the stock market and getting promoted by shady investment advisors, and how, once investigated, their stock plummets, crashing the wealth of their investors and making cash for shorters(?). Pretty interesting in a sad kind of way. It once again shows how capitalism is great for honest hard working people, but subject to abuse by those who work hard finding ways to abuse it and have zero issues taking wealth at the expense of others.

Free Solo - A doc following a dude who had his heart set on free climbing El Capitan. I’ll tell you, as a non-climber who generally does not like heights, it had my palms sweaty often. Over 2000’ of sheer rock face with no ropes or equipment. Holy $#!+! That dude is crazy, and possibly semi-Asperger. It’s crazy what a kid/person will do to try to achieve approval not given by one or both parents. Certainly worth seeing, as it was an amazing attempt. I won’t tell you how it ended, but it was certainly compelling to watch.

Apollo 11 - This doc was made up of a bunch of film and audio from the amazing journey that was the Apollo 11 moon landing, much of which is not the regular stuff that everybody has seen. It was put together in a nice way linearly that is concise, while still keeping in a lot of the more intimate stuff that you don’t often see in news coverage. It really brings home yet again for me how remarkable it was that they pulled it off, considering the technology of the time, and just how many ways it could have failed, had things not gone the way they did. Good stuff, and definitive for me that it wasn’t a #fakemoonlanding!!!11!1 :p

Oh, and I remembered that I re-watched/finished watching Spiderverse on one of my outbound flights. I’m glad I finished. It was a lot of fun to watch in a totally non-realistic animated kind of way.

And I felt bad for the poor suckers watching The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel. They haven’t gotten better with age... :troll: