Movie Discussions

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
My wife hated Aladdin so much that I have not bothered to see it which is not much of a loss since every clip of genie Smith I’ve seen makes me want to vomit. The wife and I love Smith, so maybe that’s the problem.

As soon as I read Apollo 11 above, I immediately thought about how it squashed any doubt I had about the landing being real. It also brings home just how insane those guys had to be to sign up for that mission. The actual landing had my heart pounding.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
We watched the new Aladdin over the weekend too. The wife & kid saw it in theater and liked it, but I avoided it due to not being sold on the Genie and really thinking why bother trying to out-do the original.

ANYWAY, I was convinced to buy the 2-pack (original in 4K and the new one). I made myself a stiff drink and watched it.. and.. you know what. It was not bad. It was entertaining. It wasn't better than the original, but was slightly different enough to make it a fun/new experience.

1. Yes, the handmaiden did seem "whiter" than I would have though. I just looked it up and the actress is Nasim Pedrad (Persian: نسیم پدراد‎). Born in Iran! So, I guess it's pretty accurate, and I give them props for actually hiring Middle Eastern'ish people to play the parts.. and not pretending Jake Gyllenhaal or Scarlett Johansson are an ethnicity they're not.

2. Genie was fine. Definitely doesn't top Robin Williams, but is fine as his own kinda thing. I thought it looked really bad from clips/the trailer.. but in the actual movie it was more than fine.

3. Holy hell is Jasmine/Naomi Scott super hot, like Dan said, that makes up for whatever girl power stuff they added. Which, really, is fine. It gives her character a little more agency than just being mad she can't pick who she marries.

4. Music was good.. Alan Menken.. he did the music for the original, was back for this one, so it'll all on point. Again, doesn't supersede the original but it doesn't tarnish it in any way.

Also.. I re-watched Endgame afterwards, at home for the first time.. and goddamn if that isn't the best movie I've ever seen. Not on its own, but the combination of all of the parts is just.. perfect. For whatever reason it just hits me in all the right places. Still can't believe 3 hours goes that fast.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
How about that handmaid being Persian! Although, I noticed her facial features a little more on the big screen and had an idea she may have had some mid-eastern in her, despite the paleness. She might be the most legit of all of them (Jasmine actress is half Indian/half British), and yes, it was much better than having a spray tanned whitey in every roll.

As for comparing the two, I don't remember all that much about the original, so I just enjoyed this one for what it is. I thought Will Smith did a good job at bringing his own flavor to the Genie, although at times it seem a little Hitch-like. But that's what he's good at, so it worked pretty well. And the effects came way along since the early previews!

I actually got the digital version of Endgame for my ipad for the long trip and never watched it. I think that, having seen it 4 times already, I wanted to save it until I really needed it on a flight. It was available on demand on the flights too. I just want to really enjoy it every single time I see it, kind of the way I do for Civil War and The Winter Soldier. I think I came dangerously close to overwatching both of those, so I only use my ipad movies when absolutely necessary (like when flying American Airlines :rolleyes:).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Went and saw RAMBO: LAST BLOOD on Tuesday.

It was.. about as good as you'd expect a Rambo movie to be in this day & age. I actually re-watched JOHN RAMBO aka RAMBO IV the night before as a refresher.. and think I enjoyed that one more, but would probably need to give LAST BLOOD another couple of viewings to really know.

It felt short. I think it was only 90 minutes or so, and felt like they could have fleshed out things a bit more.. but it does make for a fast, tight movie. The violence is crazy and good.. the story is believable enough, though of course now everyone says its racist to show Mexicans as gang members. It did make me want to jump back into Ghost Recon Wildlands.

There was enough little links to past Rambo stuff to make it feel like a satisfying sequel, though the end to IV was pretty perfect too.

I'd give it 3 1/2 to 4 stars out of 5. Having prior experience with the character is a must. Having a daughter also helps with the emotional impact.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
People are such wusses now. They see something that makes them question their preconceived notions and they just cant deal with it. I feel bad for poor Germain below having to work with these people. There are no spoilers in the snippet I posted.

io9 Discusses Todd Phillips' Polarizing Joker, a Movie With Little to Say

Charles Pulliam-Moore: So. Let’s talk about this piece of cinema that’s had everyone very, very deeply in their feelings as of late. I’m curious to hear from y’all what you, I guess, came to the theater expecting given how there was already so much Discourse™ before most of us actually had a chance to see it. I feel like we all joked at one point or another that we were surprised it wasn’t actually out because literally everyone had a take prepared.

Germain Lussier: I had the opposite experience, Charles. I was fortunate enough to see the movie before it played any film festivals. There was just like the general positive buzz which, frankly, was surprising. And as I watched it I was captivated by it. I was interested in this character and this world and then things just started to feel wrong. Like, I was feeling for this person? And this person is doing what now? So ultimately I walked out conflicted but more or less positive simply because I like when a movie makes me think or shift gears while I’m watching it. I just felt like, for a movie that’s trying to say so much, it really doesn’t end up with one dominant theme.

Charles: 👀

James Whitbrook: Hahaha, I think that was a similar case for me—the sheer density of discussion coming into this movie ahead of release, I had absolutely no idea what to expect. And that’s kind of what I got leaving the cinema? I still have no idea what I watched. There is just so much going on in this movie—so much trying to go on in this movie, rather—that I don’t know what it said when it wasn’t bludgeoning conflicting messages over your head several times over. I didn’t enjoy it, but I can’t really say “Oh I hated what it had to say” or something, because…I still don’t think it actually succeeded in saying anything.

Autumn Noel Kelly: I walked into the theater with a bad feeling and left with that same bad feeling. I actually really enjoy films where I walk out thinking, “What just happened? I need to sit in silence and really process this.” I did not want to think and process this film. There was a dominating theme for me, and that was the feeling that the filmmakers didn’t really know what they wanted their movie to say. Instead, it felt like they were hiding behind the definition of a “character study” and using that as an excuse to not talk about strong messages that were clearly there.

Germain: That’s interesting. We basically all agree that the movie didn’t really have anything to say. My argument is that it tried to say too much and failed but either way, we seem more or less in agreement. I wonder then, did my positive spin come because I saw it before the weight of all its social and political implications came reigning down? Or am I just more the target audience, if there is one?

Charles: I mean. Yes, Germain. It’s ok to be a straight white guy and say you like things that non-straight white guys don’t. But you have to be able to explain why you like the thing when it comes to something like Joker, and honestly, I’ve yet to hear any particularly convincing defenses of the movie either from the fans or anyone who’s worked on it.

I think you’re right about the movie trying to take on too much and ultimately failing to adequately examine anything, but I’ve been thinking a lot about Phillips’ going on the press circuit to talk about how his plan was always to make a character study film that wouldn’t have been possible to get greenlit without the comic book trappings. Without the DC larger than life fate the Joker has, what is this movie about, really? Arthur’s a mentally-ill, depressed man who ends up taking his rage out on a bunch of random people, and by the end of the film he’s a folk hero. If Batman isn’t what this film’s building toward, the Joker never becomes a supervillain. He’s just a terrorist and the movie really wants you to like him. I just can’t fuck with that.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I've been reading thru the comments below that article for the past hour and the people who do not like it are the ones that are mad they developed feelings for poor Arthur. These are the same people who parrot the whole incel thing which honestly makes no sense when speaking about this movie. Arthur is in no way an incel, but you can certainly see where a real life one would side with him. This speaks a lot to greater society in that these commenters do not like being forced to see the world thru someone's eyes that they disagree with and *gasp* have it hit them in the feels so they understand why that person thinks a certain way. This movie really is a near perfect litmus test to separate those that take the time to digest their surroundings and form rational conclusions from those that just regurgitate what they have been told to feel and regurgitate it to anyone within reach. The fact they felt something for Arthur confuses them and manifests as anger.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched Toy Story 4 with the family tonight. Kind of disappointing. It was okay I guess, but didn’t live up to the rest of the series. It was kind of a let down. It’s hard to describe exactly, but it felt like it should have just ended at 3, or done a hard reboot. This one felt forced.

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
Yeah, I agree. I actually liked it. The animation was superb. The story was good, but it did feel like it was forced. With everything that happened in this one, it's definitely a good place to end it as far as I'm concerned. I think from now on they should keep it at a small series of episodes, or maybe holiday specials on Disney Channel. No more movies.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The good news that BR didn't actually prove accurate is that we didn't have a near apocalypse and synthetic humans running around killing people. The bad news is that we still haven't gotten those promised flying cars...

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Zombie Land 2 was better than it had any right being. Starts out with the 4 of them and 10min in you start to think it’s going to be boring and then the cameo train kicks off. So much fun. Definitely need to know the first one to catch the long running string of inside jokes.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Zombieland 2 is out? Damn I didn't even realize that. Will need to see if I can sneak away for that.

Some friends & I are going to see Terminator tomorrow.. crossing my fingers it's decent. Everyone I've seen talk about it said it was solid, not great, but solid. At this point that's a 5-star review for a Terminator movie.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So.. Terminator: Dark Fate..

It was okay. Not great, not terrible. I'd push for a rental/netflix/plane ride/etc probably.

Arnold & Linda were good, wish they had more time actually. The new people were OK.

There is a big "The Future is FEMALE!" push, which is MOSTLY okay, but a few scenes are really hammed up and I rolled my eyes. Sarah Conner was the bad-ass in T2 already, you don't need to re-sell us on women power.

The "Mexican immigrant" angle is also played up for a good chunk of the movie.. it's not terribly done, or super political, but it did get some eye rolls from me as well. The rest of the Mexico stuff makes more or less logical sense due to what happens, it didn't bother me.

Ultimately the movie was fine, it works as a sequel to T2 and ignores the rest. It leaves the franchise in a place where they could go a number of different directions, which is good I guess, though I am not sure if I need more "Terminator" in my life at this point.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So.. Terminator: Dark Fate..

It was okay. Not great, not terrible. I'd push for a rental/netflix/plane ride/etc probably.

Arnold & Linda were good, wish they had more time actually. The new people were OK.

There is a big "The Future is FEMALE!" push, which is MOSTLY okay, but a few scenes are really hammed up and I rolled my eyes. Sarah Conner was the bad-ass in T2 already, you don't need to re-sell us on women power.

The "Mexican immigrant" angle is also played up for a good chunk of the movie.. it's not terribly done, or super political, but it did get some eye rolls from me as well. The rest of the Mexico stuff makes more or less logical sense due to what happens, it didn't bother me.

Ultimately the movie was fine, it works as a sequel to T2 and ignores the rest. It leaves the franchise in a place where they could go a number of different directions, which is good I guess, though I am not sure if I need more "Terminator" in my life at this point.
You're a lot more open minded about it than I am. This "franchise" should have ended with the T2 Director's Cut.
"Carl" is lore-breaking to the point of convincing me that none of the hacks that wrote this tripe, or that stupid dickhead Tim Miller, even watched The Terminator. If this one didn't convince you that James Cameron has been a hack for years, then nothing will. I can't fucking wait for Dances with Blue Cat Aliens 2: Bioluminescent Boogaloo in 3D. :whatever:

Good to see you again, NSA. :wave:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

You're a lot more open minded about it than I am. This "franchise" should have ended with the T2 Director's Cut.
"Carl" is lore-breaking to the point of convincing me that none of the hacks that wrote this tripe, or that stupid dickhead Tim Miller, even watched The Terminator. If this one didn't convince you that James Cameron has been a hack for years, then nothing will. I can't fucking wait for Dances with Blue Cat Aliens 2: Bioluminescent Boogaloo in 3D. :whatever:

Good to see you again, NSA. :wave:
Yeah.. Carl.. I don't know. It equal parts works and doesn't work because they skip the explanation so quickly that you can't really be assed to reconcile it.

It WORKS in the terms of the movie because you movie past it so quick it turns into just another stepping stone. If you stop to think about it though none of it makes a lick of sense. BUT due to that.. The rules from 1&2 also no longer necessarily exist so it falls into a big Grey area they fail to redefine. Which sucks but doesn't necessarily take away from the in the moment enjoyment.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
JoJo Rabbit was an interesting movie and I’m glad critical pressure forced Disney to release it. It’s a weird mix of historical accuracy and over the top comedy. Definitely worth a watch when it hits the small screen, or you could pay to see it and show Disney there is a reason to release more quirky art films.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

^ same here.

I do think I'm going to try and push to see MIDWAY in theaters. It looks like "Millennial take on WWII". The previews seem to jump from Pearl Harbor to the Doolittle Raid to the actual Midway battle.. which.. is a lot of fucking time to cover for a movie called MIDWAY.

That being said, it's probably going to be big and loud and likely entertaining with some liquid improvement in me.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think the only thing anyone remembers from Pearl Harbor is that bullshit love triangle that completely ruined the fucking movie. It ain't 1953 and Fred Zinnemann ain't here to make your love story set against the backdrop of war actually work. Stop shitting up my action films with it.