Movie Discussions

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Terminator: Dark Fate

Not great like T2, but not terrible. I was expecting more with Cameron being involved, and there were a few plot holes, but that's to be expected with a time travel film.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Ghostbusters looks like it could actually be good! I am still keeping myself cautiously optimistic.

Dark Fate... sigh. It was definitely OK. I felt like so many of the changes/plot contrivances weren't needed. The "Future is female" thing was also a bit over the time, especially since Sarah Conner has been a female badass for decades now already without needing to pander.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS?!

PEARL HARBOR 2: THE REVENGENING!

This looks so absolutely bad it's going to be amazing.
Ding!

Went and saw this last night with a friend. It... was... okay. Spoilers ahead... I guess, it's the Battle of Midway (spoiler, we won) so...

CGI everywhere. Sometimes it was pulled off very well, sometimes not so much. Everything kind of had that hazy look, which was kind of distracting at first but eventually you just get used to it.

They generally used real people! Only a couple of historical inaccuracies really from what I could tell.

It literally covers from 1937 until the day after Midway, 1942. So you see some pre-war Japan, Pearl Harbor, Doolittle Raid, Coral Sea, and obviously Midway. Since they cover so much, it jumps around SUPERFASTOMGFAST and it honestly feels a bit like Cliff Notes Presents MIDWAY.

If you've never heard of or studied the actual battle.. I can see it being kind of confusing, who is attacking who? Why when where... but if you know about the battle, it's all really easily followed. They hit on all the big points of the battle. The subterfuge into cracking the Jap plans, the luck of the bombers finding the Arashi and following it back to the fleet, the high level bombers all missing, the torpedoes being absolute shit.. it's all there. They even threw in the part where the Japs tossed a couple of captured American POW'd overboard with weights attached to their legs.

The action and stuff was very Hollywood-y and CGI-y. Some of it worked better than others. I didn't really like the Pearl Harbor attack that much, but there were some cool scenes with the Arizona.

The love stuff isn't anything at all, or at least isn't anything that is out of place. The main character is Lieutenant Richard "Dick" Best, who was a real guy with a real wife & kid, so they play a small part... but nothing weird like the Pearl Harbor movie.

Also, I don't know what it says about me, but I actually really appreciated that I don't think I saw a single black person in the movie. Could have been some in the background, but nothing prominent. Why do I appreciate this? Because I'm an evil racist? No, because it MAKES SENSE. Historically they weren't there... so please don't shoe-horn them in. ALSO, EVERYONE IS SMOKING! All the time! So many cigarettes! Which, again, is historical. I don't smoke and don't like smoking, but if they're doing a period piece... stick to it.

All in all, if you can get to a discount showing (We have $6 Tuesdays here), I'd recommend seeing it in theaters just for the loud sound and visuals. It helps a little I think. Otherwise, check it out when it comes out, it was entertaining to a war nerd.

Also, this is still great (I watched it again today), it probably helped me understand everything in the movie too.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think it came out sometime in November? (Looked, Nov 8th!)

I was actually surprised it was still in theaters to be honest. Looks like it's done about $110 million vs a $100 million budget. I'd guess it gets a little more cushion and then some DVD/streaming sales etc to be profitable, but just barely so. It's definitely good enough to go in that "WWII movies I sometimes watch" pile with U-571, Hacksaw Ridge, Patton, Enemy at the Gates, Pearl Harbor, etc.

Also, looking at revenue.. Terminator: Dark Fate is actually tracking BELOW Genisys.. which is amazing to me. I think it's definitely a better movie than Genisys (while also still not being a great or even a good movie), but I think maybe the brand is just done. Or needs to be done for a while. If Arnold and Linda coming back can't make it a good movie, then you just really need to start all over or just be done with it.

None of the other Terminators, save for Robert Patrick, ever really felt like a threat I guess, they got too comic-y and overpowered in ridiculous ways.

Also, also.. the new Rambo ended up doing better than Rambo IV in the US (by a couple of million) but significantly worse overseas ($42 M vs $70 M). Wonder if the Mexico setting wasn't as intriguing to people overseas? Crazy to see that IV and V were both basically 90 minutes long. Short movies compared to most! I felt like the movie flew by, and I guess that's why.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I had actually forgotten about Midway and the new Rambo entirely. And I think the two old stars from T/T2 really have little to offer the new generation. Their only hope was capturing us "seasoned" fans. The SJW elements nixed that from the get go. So there was no chance for T: DF. Maybe I'll get to watch a couple of these next time I'm flying, but it's unlikely I'll go out of my way for any of them.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Like I said, both Midway and T:DF were entertaining, so definitely check them out for free.

Also, I forgot to mention something I liked about Midway was that they actually treated the Japanese sailors with respect (from a story perspective), and not just as an evil villain. Not all movies do this particularly well. Obviously the US sailors didn't like the Japs and wanted to kill 'em all! but the story realizes that most of them were just part of a larger whole. They dedicated the movie to the sailors on both sides at the end of the movie, which I thought was nice. Especially as they recently found the wrecks on the bottom of the ocean.

T:DF's SJW stuff was annoying, but that's about as bad as it got, I'd say it approached eye-roll levels once or twice, but most of the movie wasn't focused on that. The action/etc was good/fun and overall it was entertaining. I just don't think it was a great Terminator movie (but other than 1&2 what is?).

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I re-watched U-571 the other day (month?) on cable and.. it was very much just OK. I remembered liking it way back when, but it was just okay on a modern rewatch. I liked Pearl Harbor, outside of the dumb romance stuff. Once it gets going, it's a fun spectacle to watch.

I feel like maybe I demand less out of movies the older I get, but I also don't love them nearly as much as I once did.

I remember liking Terminator 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES at the time, and liked that it ended with nuclear war.. but the Terminatrix (ladybitsterminator) did NOT age well at all, and the random slapstick humor was also kinda weird in retrospect.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
:laugh: Isn't the new hybrid or whatever kind of androgynous (ladybitsless)?
Spoilers... I guess.. for Dark Fate (as if anyone cares..)

The lady is a soldier resistance lady from the future, they basically found a way to make people/soldiers more like terminators, so they can fight them on even footing, but it comes with a death sentence for the human, they last a bit, but it requires a lot of hubabaloo to keep them going/healing/etc.

The "bad" Terminator is a dude, or at least identifies as a dude most of the time. It can shape shift, sorta, like the T-1000, but for some reason has a "hard skeleton" that can be a different thing, but can't melt. Kinda weird, interesting concept trying to do something different than the T-1000, but still kinda weird.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Ah, I was just commenting more on the fact that she could almost pass as a skinny dude, at least from the preview and posters.

While the T3 terminatrix does come off a little cheesy in retrospect, she at least could add attractiveness (inflatable air bags and all) to her arsenal to outwit the silly humans. It was the part where the cars (not built that way), trucks and such could suddenly drive themselves and attack with just a poke from a computer virus that made me roll my eyes. When the movie wasn't doing that it was decent.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Oh.. gotcha.

I liked the T-1000 idea better than the Terminatrix though. If you can already completely switch shapes, why bother with the silly T-X? I get it, it had a plasma cannon and some other fancy things... but that is where it starts getting borderline just silly.

A killer robot in a skin suit? Scary! A killer robot that can literally change shapes to be whomever it wants? Scary! A.. girl who can make her boobs bigger on command? Sexy! I get what they were going for, and there is an idea there, but the whole "idea arms race" of always needing to do things BIGGER and BADDER than before really doesn't ever do anyone any favors.

Did anyone NEED a Death Star PLANET in Force Awakens? No. But bigger and badder! Le sigh.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I guess I considered the (skeleton and core plus some liquid metal - if I recall) T-X as slightly more plausible than a fully "liquid metal" terminator. In my mind, he always had to have some sort of central power/processor core (at least baseball sized) with some kind of electromagnetic control matrix or something to control the shaping and such to even be plausible. No way the T-1000 could be fully liquid/nano. That's not even to mention coloration and texture - and issue with either model.

When Hollywood is putting nano-xyz out there, they never seem to address the necessity for propulsion to put it into whatever shape it needs to go in (liquid metal the same principle). Matter of any size doesn't just freely move in space without some force to drive it to its intended location, and acceleration (thrust/magnetism) typically needs to be applied via some kind of energy source. Not all of that can (currently) be fully miniaturized.

And yes, no doubt that there is a point where threat development goes from "that is cool and scary!" (Death Star/Star Destroyer) to "that's... ridiculous" (Star Killer Base/Snoke's ginormous ship). Where do you even go from there? Death Solar System? Death Galaxy?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Oh.. gotcha.

I liked the T-1000 idea better than the Terminatrix though. If you can already completely switch shapes, why bother with the silly T-X? I get it, it had a plasma cannon and some other fancy things... but that is where it starts getting borderline just silly.

A killer robot in a skin suit? Scary! A killer robot that can literally change shapes to be whomever it wants? Scary! A.. girl who can make her boobs bigger on command? Sexy! I get what they were going for, and there is an idea there, but the whole "idea arms race" of always needing to do things BIGGER and BADDER than before really doesn't ever do anyone any favors.

Did anyone NEED a Death Star PLANET in Force Awakens? No. But bigger and badder! Le sigh.
This is funny because I literally told a coworker today that Jedis continue to get more silly with each movie for this exact reason. Man do I hate Jedis. Han and the grunts are so much more interesting as is Luke when he’s using a blaster or piloting a craft.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Obi-wan was cool because he had these mystical powers, but in the grand scheme of thing, it wasn't overpowering. Yoda too, he was super powerful but still limited. Luke managed to learn and train and become an awesome young Jedi...

But the prequels just went nuts with the Jedi powers, escalation and all that. Sequels.. I dunno, all over the place with Rey and Kylo so we'll see how TROS turns out.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Fun fact: They found Kaga and Akagi back in October.

Finally sat down and watched Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Eh, typical teen horror film. They mixed/combined a couple of stories for visual effect, and they sanitized the hell out of the ending of Harold. Obvious sequel bait is obvious, but I'd probably watch it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Fun fact: They found Kaga and Akagi back in October.

Finally sat down and watched Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Eh, typical teen horror film. They mixed/combined a couple of stories for visual effect, and they sanitized the hell out of the ending of Harold. Obvious sequel bait is obvious, but I'd probably watch it.
Bummer.. I was hoping it'd be a classic. I loved those books as a kid. Was it PG13 or R? I guess PG13 since they were kids books.. but that content, in today's eyes, seems hard R.

Please, god, let them say "I want some butts!" after that scene at the end of the trailer.
My boner can only get so erect!

Yeah... I'm hooked. Don't let me down, Maverick!
They have certainly captured the tone I desire for a Top Gun sequel.
This greatly pleases me. Seems like they're handling the "WHY IS HE STILL A CAPTAIN REEEEEE!" complaint. Seems he was either Reserve or retired and they're bringing him back for something. Wonder if they'll steal an F-14 from Iran or something.

Either way, this looks great so far. I can't wait!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
SStTitD
Bummer.. I was hoping it'd be a classic. I loved those books as a kid. Was it PG13 or R? I guess PG13 since they were kids books.. but that content, in today's eyes, seems hard R.
PG-13. Other than CGI "Jangly Man" not being properly scary, they did a pretty fair job of translating the art to the screen.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Here is the synopsis for Maverick:

After more than thirty years of service as one of the Navy’s top aviators, Pete “Maverick” Mitchell (Tom Cruise) is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. When he finds himself training a detachment of Top Gun graduates for a specialized mission the likes of which no living pilot has ever seen, Maverick encounters Lt. Bradley Bradshaw (Miles Teller), call sign: “Rooster,” the son of Maverick’s late friend and Radar Intercept Officer Lt. Nick Bradshaw, aka “Goose.” Facing an uncertain future and confronting the ghosts of his past, Maverick is drawn into a confrontation with his own deepest fears, culminating in a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those who will be chosen to fly it.
They gotta be stealing an F-14 from Iran right? Maybe Space? At least it makes plausible sense why he's still a Captain. I can't wait.