Movie Discussions

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yes.. it is. The trailer looked amazing, and I missed it in theaters so I rented it over the weekend and .. god damn. It was so slow and boring. Think 2001 but slower and more boring. The near-future/science stuff was kind of cool, but wrapped in such a boring shell I couldn't stand it.

And yes, 1917 looks amazing. That's the one that was all 1 take or something? I.... sorta liked Dunkirk. I didn't see it in theaters though.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think only Disney would have the capability of doing that. It would have to be along the lines of their CGI/live action (animal) remakes. That much CGI might be outside the capacity of Paramount.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
It's been so long since I've even seen the cartoon from the 80s.. were people even a part of it? I seem to remember there were some peripheral humans, but most of the stories were just about the robots.

Watch part of the Overboard remake (sequel?) last night with the wife.. it was... OKAY. I guess. I didn't really find anything that was superior to the original, but a couple of the tweaks were funny/fit in well. It was definitely made to appeal to Spanish audiences as half the movie was in Spanish and subtitled (which is fine). I don't think whoever the main actor was and/or whats her name were great in the main roles though. Definitely no Kurt Russell/Goldie Hawn. I fell asleep before it was over, but it was very just ok.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Watched Venom last night (finally). Had it on my DVR for months now but couldn't be assed to watch it.

It was very... okay. Not great, not terrible. I thought it started way too slow, and gave you little to care about until Venom actually shows up. Then it got fun. I never read the comics or anything, but it did a good job showing the Venom suit I thought. The humor mostly landed too, which is sometimes a tough thing to do. I'd be interesting to see a Tom Holland/Spider-man crossover.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Movie time!!

I saw three movies lately.. my thoughts.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood... I am not sure why I watched this, I bought it for free with some Google credits I had, and couldn't find anything else I wanted to watch. It was... good? I guess? I've never been a Tarantino fan. I've seen most of his movies, and they're not usually BAD but I wouldn't say they are great either. This was mostly good though. DiCaprio and Pitt do good work, and Margo Robbie is freaking hot. I knew the basics of the Manson stuff, but it was interesting see how it all played out for this movie. It was kind of long too (2 1/2 hours). In an HONEST 0-100 rating scale, I think I'd give it a 69/100.

Underwater... It was entertaining. I'll give it that. I am a sucker for Underwater Monster movies though. It's absolutely nothing GOOD or DEEP (other than depth wise) or anything. BUT stuff goes boom and there are underwater monsters that kill people and a vague mystery and stuff, so... whatever, it's entertaining. TJ Miller is hilarious in this. Kristen Stewart looks like Harry Potter going through a sex change.

Kind of hot, kind of not, it's weird. She's not great, but not asked to do much, so she doesn't bring the movie down at all. There are 2 or 3 "stupid horror movie decisions" made by the cast, of course, but I suppose almost all horror movies have those, so I am loathe to dock too many points for that. I would say it probably has good replay value as it's a relatively short movie, and a lot of the cool scenes happen quickly, so you could enjoy them a couple times and see new things. From a purely entertainment value I'd give this a 65/100.

1917... Another one in the GOOD not GREAT category. I appreciated all the detail they put into the set and costumes and everything. The story was simple, though there were a couple of interesting turns during the movie. It is filmed to look like 1 continuous shot, and while it actually wasn't, they do a good job simulating that.. which is good to see unfold. All in all it was good, not Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan good... but good nonetheless. I might want to watch it 1 more time, though I don't feel the need to rush out and do so. 71/100.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Saw the irish man..... long & boring. If you like the ganster stories all these guys show up in I guess its good. No clue how "truthful" it is.

Marriage story... bla not great not terrible but unlikely to watch it again.

Toy Story 4 - kids liked its (group movie night.) My kids not a fan of the franchise, but it was way better the TS3.

Oh & now that the Marvel movie are leaving Netflix the wife is on a Marvel kick (kid got into Marvel) so now I'm paying for a bunch of movies I've seen before. mixed feeling on that one as I will watch them again.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Saw the irish man..... long & boring. If you like the ganster stories all these guys show up in I guess its good. No clue how "truthful" it is.

Marriage story... bla not great not terrible but unlikely to watch it again.

Toy Story 4 - kids liked its (group movie night.) My kids not a fan of the franchise, but it was way better the TS3.

Oh & now that the Marvel movie are leaving Netflix the wife is on a Marvel kick (kid got into Marvel) so now I'm paying for a bunch of movies I've seen before. mixed feeling on that one as I will watch them again.
They're all on Disney+, well most of them, and eventually all will be!

I think I own most of the first 22 films, on 4K UHD disks... shame on me. I think the only ones I don't have are Iron Man 3 and Thor 2? Need to check,

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You picked the right ones to miss :troll:. Thor 2 is only really good for a laugh now after watching Thor: Ragnarok spoof it with Matt Damon at the beginning. And I believe I have made my opinions of IM3 well known on the forum here.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yep, never saw anything more than ads for it myself. I'm surprised it lasted three seasons. I suppose it could have been good, but I wasn't likely to invest the time needed to find out.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a couple flicks on a long flight:

Joker - I should have known better than to let my expectations get above zero for any DC movie. I did like the late 70’s NY aesthetic and the way they made you guess what was real and what was all in his demented head. Joaquin certainly does unlikable crazy with the best of them, but, as a whole, I thought it tried too hard to tie it to Batman before it’s time and, to me it just fell flat. Worth watching, but only with zero expectations going in.

Zombieland 2 - Call me crazy, but I really kind of enjoyed this one as much as the first, maybe even more with nostalgia. I think it was even slightly more over the top than the first, with hybrid classes of zombies, vegan pacifists and some strangely familiar new characters. Only disappointment was that the girls grew up a little fugly. But, then they introduce Zoey Deutch to pick up the slack in full clueless bimbo mode. I’d call it a win.

Gemini Man - I made the right call expecting to be disappointed. However, I have to put it in the exact same category as I Am Legend. The story and acting were pretty good (I actually found Mary Elizabeth Winstead likable and her character pretty well portrayed for the first time), but that, and a solid show from Smith, were dragged down by pretty bad CGI yet again. And it wasn’t even necessarily the de-aged WS (though it ranges from passable to Fresh Prince distracting). It was a general over dependence on CGI for stuff that can be done and done well with practical stunts. Most of the action was distractingly obviously CGI and was just too much like video game cut scenes. Maybe Marvel had bought up all the good CGI and stunt teams and left them with second rate. Watch it for the story and acting, and try not to cringe at the CGI.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a few more movies on my recent travels:

Terminator: Dark Fate - I actually liked it better than expected. I entered with very, very low ones of course. I didn't actually see much SJW, at least not nearly at the levels of a lot of other movies lately. The main guardian angel character might well have been asexual and there was a bit of "all Border Patrol/ICE people are bad," but overall, not too distracting and very short lived. Of course the CGI was heavy (as expected from any T movie), but it was executed pretty well for the most part (again, considering my low expectations and the small screen I was watching). My biggest complaint about this movie is that it completely ignores everything since T2, and it should have been made some 20+ years ago. It was kind of neat to see what becomes of a terminator once its mission is complete. Overall, I'd say it's worth checking out, particularly if you hated everything since T2.

General Magic - This is a documentary that chronicles Apple's advanced and relatively independent R&D team that was on the cutting edge of developing handheld computing/communication devices way back in the '90's (yes, that's right, the 1990's). Needless to say, they were way ahead of their time and I had no idea that place existed prior to watching this movie. I'd like to say it had a happy conclusion, but there were definitely drawbacks to creating hardware that needs serious connectivity when that connectivity has not yet been realized. Very interesting though, and certainly worth checking out.

The Current War - This was a pretty cool flick that depicts the battle between Edison and Westinghouse for dominance in early electricity generation and distribution. It portrays their struggles and tells the story of their very different approaches to bring electricity to the masses. Also features a guy by the name of Tesla. Very compelling story with some great actors (Cumberbatch, Shannon, Hoult) playing the main characters. Being a history/technology nerd, I really liked it. Definitely worth checking out.

Armstrong - This is a documentary about Neil Armstrong that primarily features actual footage and interviews with his family, colleagues and friends. It pretty well chronicles his journey from childhood to naval aviator in the Korean conflict to test pilot to astronaut to becoming the first man to step foot on the moon to his life post astronaut. It was neat to see this after having watched First Man on a previous trip out (which turns out is surprisingly true to life apparently). Cool doc and definitely worth checking out if you are an aviation/space flight nerd like me.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Watched a few more movies on my recent travels:

Terminator: Dark Fate - I actually liked it better than expected. I entered with very, very low ones of course. I didn't actually see much SJW, at least not nearly at the levels of a lot of other movies lately. The main guardian angel character might well have been asexual and there was a bit of "all Border Patrol/ICE people are bad," but overall, not too distracting and very short lived. Of course the CGI was heavy (as expected from any T movie), but it was executed pretty well for the most part (again, considering my low expectations and the small screen I was watching). My biggest complaint about this movie is that it completely ignores everything since T2, and it should have been made some 20+ years ago. It was kind of neat to see what becomes of a terminator once its mission is complete. Overall, I'd say it's worth checking out, particularly if you hated everything since T2.
Nice! Overall, I enjoyed it, I thought it could have been done better, and a few of the Dani "woman power" scenes were eye-roll inducing, but nothing worse than that. It was mostly fun.

I do think it's time to hang up the franchise, or just commit to going a different direction. It was nice to see Arnold and Linda together again, but the new people didn't do anything for me really.