Movie Discussions

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah, Mall girl is 100x hotter than ES or the other one. I never found ES to be Hollywood hot. If she lived down the street, sure maybe, but you expect more from your "stars."
She had a short window where I thought she was hot.. but kind of the "cool sarcastic girl hot" than conventional.. but she almost fell all the way off the train recently it seems. Not sure if it's just age or bad plastic surgery or what.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
God I hope not... seems like they're putting some serious backing behind it, so I hope they can make it good. The premise SHOULD be as good as the Avengers.. and I think the world is better where Marvel AND DC are successful..

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I agree about wanting them both to succeed. I actually liked MoS as a starter for the DCEU and marginally like WW (mostly because GG, but at least some for the story). Unfortunately though, besides the separate Chris Nolan DK trilogy, DC has put out unintelligible garbage for the most part. I'm not sure if Zack Snyder is the answer to fixing that. Did he not already have as much influence as anyone in what the DCEU is up until now?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I agree about wanting them both to succeed. I actually liked MoS as a starter for the DCEU and marginally like WW (mostly because GG, but at least some for the story). Unfortunately though, besides the separate Chris Nolan DK trilogy, DC has put out unintelligible garbage for the most part. I'm not sure if Zack Snyder is the answer to fixing that. Did he not already have as much influence as anyone in what the DCEU is up until now?
Yeah.. I've still never seen BvS. I can only hope maybe they took some of this to heart and actively want to make it better? If they're even going through the effort they must realize what they put out was bantha poodoo.. so.. hopefully they can do a little self reflecting?

At least make it so going forward things can be better maybe. WW1984 looks promising. Aquaman was dumb fun, but still fun. A better take on Superman & Batman and they'd be off to the races. Oh, and Shazam was fun too.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It may have been the bourbon, but I did enjoy Aquaman for the most part and similarly with Shazam. But I didn't feel anything for either of the characters. Nada. And there's no way I'd pay anything to see either movie again or any sequels of either one. I haven't fully sworn them off, but DC has yet to prove they can make a movie I would "need" to see in a theater.

The problem was that DC was so determined to get Justice League out there to "compete" with the Avengers that they almost entirely skipped over the (long and difficult) part where they should have built up their worlds and characters. Then they plowed forward too fast and made movies that were filled with dark, awful CGI and characters nobody knew or cared about and then somehow expected similar results to the MCEU?

That's just dumb, and almost insulting to the audience. Honestly, it would have been better had they completely tanked so they could just start over entirely and do it right. As of now, they are in limbo where they have just enough success to keep them making sub-par crap (granted, alongside the occasional marginal hit) and ultimately losing money over it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I don't know how/what they'll move forward with.. clearly Wonder Woman is still popular. They have new guy playing Batman.. no clue what to do with Supes.. I think Aquaman is set to remain the same, same with Shazam.. but.. yeah there just isn't a to of depth.. or even explanation how/if they all exist in the same world.

Marvel literally wrote the (comic) book on doing it cinematically.. and it all makes relative "sense" in universe. Down the line you're usually not wondering how/why Thor and Ironman exist in the same universe.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, and if you ever get bored, check out some of the videos detailing the easter eggs dropped between the MCU movies. It'll blow your mind and make you really appreciate just how well coordinated they are. Of course, then you start to seriously resent the sequel trilogy of SW and also DC for their laziness.

Marvel has earned their success.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Watched a few movies over the vacay...

Color out of Space.. a trippy horror movie with Nic Cage.. it's based on a Lovecraft story.. and it was pretty good. Weird and slow to start.. it was a $0.99 rental and worth it.

Josie and the Pussycats.. I loved this movie when it came out, and it really holds up. It's goofy and fun and probably for girls, but I don't care.. the main song rocks and the chicks were at their prime. What the fuq happened to Tara Reid??

THE STUFF.. it's on Amazon Prime for free.. it's an 80's horror movie, but it comes off as a comedy. It's cheesy as hell, but I was entertained all the way through.

THE HUNT.. SO GOOD! I don't know why this was pulled.. it really is satire of the right AND left.. and is really funny, with a lot of action and some gore too. I recommend this one for sure.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched a few movies over the vacay...

Color out of Space.. a trippy horror movie with Nic Cage.. it's based on a Lovecraft story.. and it was pretty good. Weird and slow to start.. it was a $0.99 rental and worth it.

Josie and the Pussycats.. I loved this movie when it came out, and it really holds up. It's goofy and fun and probably for girls, but I don't care.. the main song rocks and the chicks were at their prime. What the fuq happened to Tara Reid??
Didn't she get a botched boob job and then went generally nuts (probably got hooked on painkillers after that mess)?

THE STUFF.. it's on Amazon Prime for free.. it's an 80's horror movie, but it comes off as a comedy. It's cheesy as hell, but I was entertained all the way through.

THE HUNT.. SO GOOD! I don't know why this was pulled.. it really is satire of the right AND left.. and is really funny, with a lot of action and some gore too. I recommend this one for sure.
Yeah, I heard generally good stuff about The Hunt - that pretty much that everybody on both sides (besides the main character) is equally satirically douchy. Thus you pull for her and don't mind watching the rest killing each other. Sound about right?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Didn't she get a botched boob job and then went generally nuts (probably got hooked on painkillers after that mess)?
Yeah that does sound right. Shame, she was super cute back in the day, and played the perfect 'ditsy' character.

Yeah, I heard generally good stuff about The Hunt - that pretty much that everybody on both sides (besides the main character) is equally satirically douchy. Thus you pull for her and don't mind watching the rest killing each other. Sound about right?
Essentially yes, the Right side characters are mostly your stereotypical "deplorables" and the Left side can't stop talking about Climate Change and privilege/etc.. it's really quite funny because it's pretty accurate. The action and violence is just toppings. It's not perfect or anything, but it's entirely enjoyable from start to finish.

The main lead lady is.. like not hot hot, but kinda hot, and her kicking ass makes her even hotter.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Coming at you with a HOT HOT take.. I watched the new FANTASY ISLAND movie last night (8% on Rotten Tomatoes)...

And you know what? I liked it. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was an entertaining thriller-esque movie with a bit of mystery and some boobies and a fair amount of laughs.

I'd give it a solid 6.75/10 maybe a 7/10?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
De plane! De plane!

I had no idea they made a movie.
It's a Blumhouse movie.. so if you've seen any of those, you should know what to expect. They do low budget, but nice looking simple movies.

Paranormal Activity
Purge movies
Insidious
Happy Death Day
Upgrade
the new Halloween

This year they did The Hunt, Fantasy Island, and the Invisible Man.

None of the movies are... like great or anything, but they're usually always entertaining.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I remember The Fourth Kind really messed with me like that. I kind of watched it without really knowing what to expect and got some serious goosebumps. 😨

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Paranormal Activity messed me up for life and The Purge movies are fun. Guessing Fantasy Island is not what I’m thinking.

View attachment 13363
Duuuude.... IT pulling her off the bed... jesus I get chills just THINKING about it. The first sequel was okay and then they kinda went downhill (as usual).. but the atmosphere in that first Paranormal activity just creeped the hell out of me.

And yes! It's based on that show.. kinda sorta. I never watched the show but know DE PLANE DE PLANE and some stuff, but it follow the same basic premise, it's just more of a slight horror film (PG-13). If you can find a cheap rental I'd go for it, I think even the wimmin type would like it.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Knives Out is on Amazon Prime video now for 'free' so we watched it last night.

It was actually pretty good.. I was worried than Rian "Last Jedi" Johnson would make it terrible.. but he seems to do fine with non-scifi movies. There were a few lefty jabs here and there, but it wasn't anything too terrible.. and it was a fun whodonit kinda film.

3.7/5.0

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Does NO ONE watch movies anymore?! You people (YOU PEOPLE) are letting me down here!

I watched two movies tonight...

SCOOB! (Streaming on HBO Max)

It was.. actually not bad. Kind of cute. The animation style was some weird amalgamation of CGI and the classic style and I didn't love or like it, but the story was cute enough, and they tossed in a barrel full of old Hannah-Barbara references to make this old dude smile. For a 'free' stream it was worth my time.

7.3/10

Red Dawn (2012) - Purchased on Vudu as a 2-pack with the original

Ugh. I knew this was a crap movie, but I'd never actually gotten around to seeing it.. and all these years later I was wondering "could it really be so bad?" so I saw a deal for the original and reboot for like $14. Sigh.

It's................................................. very ok. The premise is actually fine, I guess, even the change from Chiner to Nork. It's a magical fairy idea anyway, so you kind of have to lean into it. Thor is good, he's just very likable in anything I think. The dude from Drake and Josh is just annoying and a real drain on the film.

The guy who did the original movie had this to say:

"There was a strange feeling to the whole thing. They were fans of the movie so they put in stuff they thought was neat. It's all about neat action scenes, and has nothing to do with story. ... There's only one example in 4,000 years of Chinese territorial adventurism, and that was in 1979, when they invaded Vietnam, and to put it mildly they got their [butts] handed to them ... Why would China want us? They sell us stuff. We're a market. I would have done it about Mexico. "

And.. yeah, pretty much. I suppose it's good they switched it to Norks, but still.. the who and why is less important.. but the action was.. it was okay. The story was mostly trash. Makes the original look a lot better.

In the original, they made a T-72 that was so realistic the CIA was asking about it.. here.. the Norks have.. a god damn M1A1 Abrams and HMMWVs.. like.. okay.

It just kind of ... ends too, which sucks for an almost 2 hour movie. No nice conclusion or anything.

Can not recommend/10.