Movie Discussions

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Watched three movies this weekend...

TEETH (2007) - This was the one about the girl with the toothy vagina.. haha it was on cable and I recorded it a while ago and finally got around to seeing what it was all about. It was... okay. A bit odd, kind of a strange horror/comedy mix. An interesting watch, sadly you don't ever get a good look at 'it', but it was interesting. 6.7/10.

UNSTOPPABLE (2010) - I feel like I saw this movie before, but I couldn't remember any of the details so maybe I never did. Either way, it was an entertaining movie.. I didn't realize it was based on a true story (CSX 8888). It is VERY MUCH a Tony Scott movie with the filming style and all that. But it's paced well, is entertaining enough. 7.4/10.

BILL & TED FACE THE MUSIC (2020) - Got this in a 4K 3-pack with the first two movies for $35, so only like $12/each (compared to the launch price of $25 for the new movie alone). $12 feels like the right price. It was... okay. Some decent jokes, lots of callbacks (though IMO not enough), and some fun times. I don't think it'll end up a classic like the first one. I DID appreciate they brought back a TON of people from the first movie (including Ted's dad, and Missy!). The daughters story-line was... kind of weak if I am being honest. I was really hyped for this and ended up being a bit of a letdown. Might need to watch it again to see how I really feel. Right now, 6.9/10.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
4th movie..

BIRDS OF PREY: something something Harley Quinn (2020) - Oof. The first 1/3rd was some of the worst movie I've seen in a long time. I was really about ready to turn it off, but I actually thought "No, I need to push through so I can review this for the 118th". Thankfully, it got better. Some kind of weird sequel to Suicide Squad (and maybe other DC movies), there is never really anything at stake here.. it just kind of happens. Harley Quinn is... sort of likable? I don't even know anymore. This DC universe is really like a cartoon/comic come to life, there is none of the realism that made the MCU so great. The comedy kind of landed, the action was decent, story.. eh? It was written and directed by women, and I guess I'd say it feels different because of that maybe. Somehow they mostly made Margo Robbie unattractive, which is a hell of a feat. If I was rating the first 1/3rd it'd be like 3.9/10. After all was said and done, I was okay entertained. 6.1/10 (which matches the IMDB rating exactly dontchaknow). Rotten tomato gives it a 78% which I feel is way too lenient.

Fun fact.. Jussie Smollet's sister is in this!

1598854531233.png

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Just finished watching Equalizer 2 again. As good or better than the first time. It and the first one are totally underrated, and Denzel is so good in that role.

I also watched 42 the other night. Equally very good. Makes it even sadder to lose Chadwick Bozeman. He had the potential to be the next Denzel.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Had a friend over tonight (don't tell Newsom) and we got talking about Superman/etc and how we both thought Superman Returns was criminally underrated.. so I ended up watching the first 3rd or so.. and, damn it's still good. It FEELS like Superman, and I think the Williams score really cements that. G.I.*EDDIE was onto something.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Finally saw Bill & Ted face the music it was a fun watch. Wife had never seen the other movies. The movie goes pretty quickly into weird territory as they assume people have seen the other movies. Wife enjoyed it which surprised me.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I was pleasantly surprised by the first WW, not sure if they can make it work a 2nd time.. as the WWI setting really helped the first story. THOUGH I do like the 80s, so we'll see.

I'm still not sold on the "DCU" as a thing, but WW and Aquaman and Shazam were the 3 best things so far.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched Enola Holmes with the wife tonight. Actually pretty good! Millie Bobby Brown has managed to stay cute into young adulthood and proves she can carry a movie with her nuance and charm. (Henry Cavell was pretty good as well).

I appreciated that, while the story is themed to “women are as capable as men and deserved the chance (via suffrage) to decide their path for themselves,” they didn’t sneak it in, but rather showed it to us. They didn’t fall into the trap of she is woman so is thereby capable of absolutely everything without any training or mistakes, but rather explained why she was as capable as she was. They allowed her to fail at times, allowed her to receive help and didn’t make her magically outthink and outfight every opponent. They also made her very relatable. And I really enjoyed her breaching the fourth wall regularly throughout.

Definitely worth checking it out.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: NSA

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Wife loves that movie.

saw Tenet yesterday starts off ok, but Amazon sound always seems to suck & Nolan can’t edit sound to save his life. Looks at Bane. So it was a bad experience not understanding plot points & fell asleep several times.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched WW84 (Friend visiting has HBOmax) - Well, it was entertaining, but it’s DC, and as usual, falls way short on the payoff. GG looks pretty good, but that was not enough to answer: why 1984, why not coherence with the other DC movies (not that any of them really have any) and just plain why does it exist at all really? Seems like there should be tons of other, better WW stories to tell in the more than 50 years in between.

Maybe I’m just way spoiled by movies by Marvel and series’ by Favreau’s SW, but it simply does not measure up.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I haven't seen it yet but everyone says it's pretty bad. I actually liked the first WW and thought it was the best of the DC movies.

They could have done a WWII story to go along with the WWI theme.. or literally anything else. I heard they didn't even use 80s music in a movie set in 1984! WTF mattel.

I bought new mutants.. it was on sale.. haven't watched it yet, maybe tonight. Heard it was bad too...

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
In order to watch WW84 you need HBO Max which has 700 options to watch WW84 but sadly you need to dig around for any other interesting content (Which there is)

Seems to be a lack of pay off in the end of the film.

At least I get to watch WestWorld again.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched The Little Things last night. Not bad. Denzel is still one of the best, but is beginning to show his age. Rami Malek will always be Freddy Mercury to me since Bohemian Rhapsody. But he did pretty well as the other main character. And nobody does creepy weird like Jared Leto, so he definitely did his part.

Watched Momento after that. Overrated. Not as good as Nolan’s other work IMO.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I was bored with The Little Things. I felt like I was watching it for the 6th time and that the writer came up with a quasi unique ending then ripped off Seven and all the detective Denzel movies to get to that ending.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Tom & Jerry was bearable (not really) but I set up the projector in the living room & did the theater experience so I enjoyed it. Now I just need a huge chunk of cash to redo the basement & get my home theater & bar.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I saw it on HBO a while after it came out and I was drunk and it was on so I somehow made it through the whole thing.. still never seen BvS but kinda feel like whats the point at this point.

We watched Raya and the Last Dragon and it was.. okay, not bad, not great. Definitely the new school Disney story with all that that entails. It had its moments and the animation/cgi was top notch.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So I went on a date with my youngest daughter this evening (the one who loves Marvel and GI Joe figs right now). We went out on short notice and I didn’t even realize it was premier night for Black Widow until she suggested it. So glad she did! We really liked it, like on par with Iron Man and Captain America movies liked it! I liked all the main characters and loved the theming of the story. Go check it out, at the theater! So much fun that I ordered her a couple new figs to celebrate it! Shhh, don‘t tell her... 😝

Reactions: Rick and Videoviper

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So I went on a date with my youngest daughter this evening (the one who loves Marvel and GI Joe figs right now). We went out on short notice and I didn’t even realize it was premier night for Black Widow until she suggested it. So glad she did! We really liked it, like on par with Iron Man and Captain America movies liked it! I liked all the main characters and loved the theming of the story. Go check it out, at the theater! So much fun that I ordered her a couple new figs to celebrate it! Shhh, don‘t tell her... 😝
My 15 year old daughter brought it up. I think I'll make a date. Thanks Dan.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
To me it’s a great choice for young ladies. My daughter can’t stop talking about it. They show very capable women heroes, without OP’ing them and without making all men incapable and stupid. It’s inspiring, but not at all with an us versus them agenda. They made Red Guardian a little goofy, but in more of an endearing, aging hero kind of way. They also have a strong “family” theme to the movie. We would so go see a BW 2!

Reactions: pcsguy88 and Rick

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
To me it’s a great choice for young ladies. My daughter can’t stop talking about it. They show very capable women heroes, without OP’ing them and without making all men incapable and stupid. It’s inspiring, but not at all with an us versus them agenda. They made Red Guardian a little goofy, but in more of an endearing, aging hero kind of way. They also have a strong “family” theme to the movie. We would so go see a BW 2!
Brought my 15 year old daughter to see it. I concur.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I took my 15 year old last night as well. Second viewing for me. I enjoyed it almost as much (obviously not the same reactions to the twists). She really liked it too!

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Hey remember when this use to be a GI Joe site? I heard they came out with a new movie. Has anyone seen it.

Wife actually wants to see it but doesn't want to do theaters just yet, I will see it at some point. But right now I just can't get that excited for any show/movie that I either have to sign up for another service, or pay purchase price to rent.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Meh, it's another "re-imagining" of Snake Eyes. I might catch it when it makes it to cable tv.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Watched Greenland. Was a fun ride! Yes, it’s another end of the world flick, but, save for a couple fuel/range of vehicles issues, it was pretty darn compelling.

Also watched Reminiscence. It really wasn’t a fun ride. It was long, slow and unnecessarily drawn out. My wife fell asleep halfway through it. I held out, but most definitely was not worth it.