Next generation of attack helicopter

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
Recently, the Department of Defense issued a need to replace it's aging fleet of transport helicopters. They will probably go with a VTOL design like the OSPREY to replace the Chinook. Yet DOD is also looking into plans at the next generation of attack helicopters and special ops helicopters. something that would be needed to cover the VTOL troop transports. Well here is what Sikorksy has been working on. A coaxial twin main rotor with a push tail rotor. Here is the prototype that set a world speed record for a helicopter and what military applications Sikorksy has in store for it. Here it is; a look into the future http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIgUV1wAs5g&feature=related

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They haven't had the Foxtrot 47s terribly long, and the Chinook is gonna be in the inventories for a loooong time.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Probably right KT, but damn that was very interesting. Like a Littlebird on roids all Ferraried up. Great ideas for realistic futuristic customs.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Both of those are interesting. Never saw a concept like that with retractable rotors. Wondering though, doesn't that disk make for a big target with all that surface area?

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Both of those are interesting. Never saw a concept like that with retractable rotors. Wondering though, doesn't that disk make for a big target with all that surface area?

I would think no more than when a regular helicopter rotor is spinning at full speed. At the rate the rotor blades spin they are bassically a solid object to anything striking them. There will be more Roswell references to that disc rotor. lol.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yes, I considered that, but was thinking more on a radar signature. I'm sure they figured on this stuff. just wondering. Pretty cool though

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I didnt think of radar. I was just thinking about the physics of it. I wonder if its curved slightly to be Stealth like. I definitly like the look of it. it screams cool, although cool doesn't always translate to military. lol.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A coaxial, contra-rotating main rotor is big with the Russians, but I don't think the US military will sign on for it.

BL4CK5H33P

99 probs - don't be #100
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas City, Missouri (misery)
I like the Darpa concept & it has me thinkin' of a custom... similar fuselage... ditch the central rotor & replace w/ 2 medium sized units mounted inside the wings, doubling as lift/take off propulsion & manuvering/flight comtrol... forward thrusters repositioned tighter to the main body... anybody think they might have a parts list for such a custom???

Last edited: