Official E3 2014 Thread!

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The war between the Xbox One and the PS4 continues! (I guess the Wii U is technically involved too)

Sony came out and announced you could watch their E3 conference at movie theaters! Sweet! Free giveaways too! They have one local(ish) to me that I registered for:

AMC Century City 15 with IMAX
10250 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Microsoft just came out and said they would be having events at their Microsoft Store in LA before, during, and after their conference.

Microsoft Store
Westfield Century City
10250 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Sweet! ... wait a second. Those are the SAME ADDRESSES! Ha! It turns out M$ and $ony are doing their things in the same mall. FIGHT OF THE FANBOYS!

Cannot wait for E3.. so hyped! Sony might even convince me to get a PS4 (we'll see).

Discuss!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yes, I know they intend to do more RD games, but it's wholly different than saying "Yes, there will be an RD release next year".

Y'naowatImean?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Does E3 Still Matter?

Pretty good story on E3. I feel much like how he does. E3 used to be the shit! Now it almost feels like an afterthought.
His younger days?

On a personal note, I remember feeling like E3 was my Christmas back in my younger days. I'd hungrily devour every scrap of news, tear through new information like so much colorful wrapping paper. Maybe I was just younger, but I feel like there were more surprises back then, or at least more I was interested in. I remember staring longingly at E3 galleries in magazines and then later watching live-ish coverage by way of things like G4, X-Play, and 1UP.
What.. this fucker must be like 21 or something. Come on. When I started going to E3 there was no G4 or X-Play.. there was barely an internet!

I still love E3-time. They got rid of it/downsized it for a couple of years and that was just complete rubbish. I think it serves a purpose, it's a spectacle event.. so who the fuck care if little Mr Indie Game doesn't get to be a shining little fucking snowflake. I tune in to see the big reveals, big games, GOOD stuff I actually want to play. I didn't buy a $400/$500 system to play fucking flash games, or games you can download for free off Steam. Give me AAA titles!!

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
His younger days?

What.. this fucker must be like 21 or something. Come on. When I started going to E3 there was no G4 or X-Play.. there was barely an internet!

I still love E3-time. They got rid of it/downsized it for a couple of years and that was just complete rubbish. I think it serves a purpose, it's a spectacle event.. so who the fuck care if little Mr Indie Game doesn't get to be a shining little fucking snowflake. I tune in to see the big reveals, big games, GOOD stuff I actually want to play. I didn't buy a $400/$500 system to play fucking flash games, or games you can download for free off Steam. Give me AAA titles!!
E3 has really gone downhill the last 5 or 6 years.

I agree about the AAA titles but 99% of them are revealed before E3 now.... so meh.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I dunno, I still like it. I love the conferences, hour, hour and a half of great and sometimes hilarious results.. it doesn't cost me anything to get involved.

You say they're all getting revealed before E3, which isn't really true for 99% of games, but there are some, and I feel it's all part of the E3 hype. Most of the reveals are in the month leading up to E3, when else would they be reveled? It's only BECAUSE of E3 the reveals are happening. I feel like instead of a 4 day conference we're getting 1-2 months of increased coverage.. which I am perfectly fine with!

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Most of the reveals are in the month leading up to E3, when else would they be reveled? It's only BECAUSE of E3 the reveals are happening. I feel like instead of a 4 day conference we're getting 1-2 months of increased coverage.. which I am perfectly fine with!
I see that point. In a way that's true. Looking at it as a 2 month reveal, yea it's pretty cool. Looking at it as a 4 day conf... it's played out. When I refer to E3. I refer to the 4 day conference. Do they show new stuff? For sure. Do they announce brand new games? Not very often. Or if they do... it's something like "Halo for 360" with a new logo and a generic "Fall of 20xx" and show no footage. You know?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I imagine the onus is on the big companies to really make it worth it these days.. i.e. Sony doing their thing in actual theaters, and M$ doing all sorts of in store promos.. they're doing their best to make it an event.. so we'll see how it pans out. I know I'm super excited for next week.

Though usually all the big news comes in the first 1/2 days, and the rest is just more info, hands on, etc.

Game announcements are coming out fast and furious!! HUNT! Battlefield Hardline looks interesting.. FH2 looks amazing..

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
My friend won a free all-access E3 pass and Microsoft briefing invite! Fucker! He wins everything. If you're out somewhere and there's a raffle, he'll win. Every. Damn. Time.

They're having another briefing giveaway on Sunday @ a local M$ store.. might try my luck.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Farcry 1 was AMAZING on PC (at the time), it was so pretty.. and fun to play.
Farcry 2 was OK/GOOD (on 360), it was ambitious and open world'ish.. in Africa. Got kinda repeptitive.
Farcry 3 was GOOD/GREAT (on 360), it was more open and more ambitious, and took place on some South East Asian Island chain. Lots of fun.

Farcry 4 looks to continue the tradition. I'll be getting it for XB1 for sure.

None of them (as far as I know) reference the other, so you can jump in anywhere.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
2 was really interesting, as it takes place somewhere in war torn Africa, there is little to no 'game silliness' going on, just lots of depressing jungle and desert and rusty AK's.

The fire mechanics in it were top notch, it would bend and twist and move as it burned, was pretty cool. I still need to finish it sometime.

Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
2 was really interesting, as it takes place somewhere in war torn Africa, there is little to no 'game silliness' going on, just lots of depressing jungle and desert and rusty AK's.

The fire mechanics in it were top notch, it would bend and twist and move as it burned, was pretty cool. I still need to finish it sometime.
Yep I loved 2, but my favorite entry to the series had to have been Blood Dragon. I love that game so so so much. Pure 80s cheesy action movie perfection. :thumbsup: I hope they make a sequel based off this new game's engine.

Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
I never got Blood Dragon but it looked awesome. I never boot up my 360 so I feel wasteful buying it..
I bought it when it was on sale for 5 bucks, worth every penny. I'd recommend it at full price. It's a great little game, it's not terribly long, but it's damn satisfying if you want to be an 80s action movie trope.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
So much fun! We got to stick around for a panel afterwards and they gave us all tickets to the main E3 conference!

I'll have a write up later.. We're getting a beer before the Sony thing at the local theater. It was such an awesome experience, got to meet and talk to Phil Spencer, Major Nelson and Yusuf Mendi.. All super super nice people.