Official NFL 2017/2018 Thread!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
That's cheap as f@#$. I'd give that, and I don't have a team.

But that really makes the whole situation even more curious. If the price was THAT cheap, why were there so few suitors? I could totally see Dan Sneider overpaying for him, the Bungles trying to rehab him, or the Pats trying to reform him with "the system". While the rams overperformed last year, I wouldn't have put them at the top of the FA destination list.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Nobody wanted him and everybody needs a superstar turnover machine CB with 2yrs left on rookie contract. We all hated him off the field, but he must be really bad in the lockeroom for 30 teams to pass on him. Only 2 inquired after the Chief’s put him on the market 3wks ago...

He’s one step away from being Kap’d.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Peters goes way beyond Kap. Kap wasn't wanted b/c of the negative media attention he'd bring to the team, not because he was an insufferable douchebag of a person. This is more like a Suh or TO situation where even immense talent doesn't trump a horrible attitude.

Didn't something similar happen to Josh Norman when Carolina traded him to the Skins? Seems to me that while their secondary wasn't quite as good afterward, they didn't really miss him. And it wasn't like the skins got a lot better. I think shutdown corners are overrated in general. Usually they are more a product of a strong front seven than anything else.

Plus, those guys usually have a short shelf life. Revis had 3-4 stellar years before falling off a cliff. Same with Talib, Norman, and Sherman. KC probably got the best of what Peters had at a cheap price and decided not to pony up a ransom just to watch his soon-to-be decline. Getting rid of a bad seed was probably just a bonus. Your team "sold high"... even if the selling price wasn't particularly impressive, your salary cap will thank you in a couple of years.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Those are the arguments being made, but it all comes down to Clark Hunt being sick of pulling Peters into his office about the Anthem protests. Hunt finally got Peters to stay in the locker room during it, but with all the right-wing hate mail the Chiefs have gotten (including from my own father), this order came from the top. The football fans would have preferred we keep him the next year or two on his rookie deal and then let him walk for a 3rd round comp pick.

Nothing about this is a football move this year. He will be the highest paid CB in the league in 2yrs and I understand not wanting to pay him then, but we sure the hell can't replace him for $1.7mil this season.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Agreed, but when he's a distraction and a cancer to your team and fanbase, can you really get excited about keeping him? Realistically, how many games was this guy going to swing for you next year? One, two tops? Is he really going to be the difference between a deep post season run or not with a green QB? No, not likely. You're not winning the SB in the next two rebuilding seasons, so might as well jettison this guy now and get what you can for him while being completely shed of his antics.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
grrrrrr...

"I'm told it was above Andy Reid," La Canfora said. "I'm told it was more mandated from ownership saying, 'I don't like where this is going. I don't like what I'm seeing out of this kid. Here's the deal guys, I'm never giving you a budget that includes this guy making 13 to 15 million a year.' Everything I heard was the owner said, I'm not paying him. I'm not sure if I'm paying him the fifth-year option, so you better get rid of him now."

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I know it's irritating as a fan that wants to win now, but I'm not convinced it wasn't the best long-term move. Much like moving on from Smith, this move won't yield the optimal 2018 win-loss record, but a couple of years down the road, you'll likely be in better shape.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I have no problem with him leaving considering the Chief's best defensive performance came when they suspended him for a game, it's the peanuts they got in return. All they got this year is to move up 70 spots from 6th to 4th round. I'm pissed at Hunt (and KC) for being a bigot (Kelce has way more PFs than Peters) and I'm pissed at Peters for not growing into a professional. Once I saw the trade details, I would have stopped that shit and held onto him for one more year considering his ass would have to behave and play hard in the season that determines if his next contract is record breaking or his ass is Kap'd from the league.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
While neither is a rocket scientist, I suspect both can recognize what a value it is to have a pro-bowler on the other side. I suspect few things are more frustrating than shutting down your guy, only to watch your teammate on the other half of the field get torched repeatedly.

The Rams could be scary-good. With the Cardinals in full rebuild, Niners slowly finding their way out of the basement, and Seahawks disintegrating more with each passing day, the Rams should dominate that division for the next couple of years until Jimmy G gets a better supporting cast in SF.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The only thing that might be a problem for the Rams is the run stopping D players they are hemorrhaging and if Goff can't learn to read a D without the coach telling him before the speaker cuts in his helmet. We already saw in the playoffs what happens when you rely on that trick against a good team.

As it stands right now, I have to give the NFC to the Rams and Philly (who is also not being idol).

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
If Cousins goes to Denver.. I will not be pleased! He needs to go to the Vikings and Denver can have Case Keenum.

Hopefully now Talib won't be snatching Michael Crabtree's gold chains every year!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I don't have a strong feel for the Cousins situation. I'm confident he'd be smart enough to avoid Cleveland and Arizona for obvious reasons, but beyond that... The Jets have the most cap space, the Vikings have the most playoff ready roster, and the Broncos have the track-record of success. But according to experts (and I tend to agree), it'll be a two man race once he sets the visit schedule. Whoever gets the third slot will likely have to quickly make a move on other targets, lest they get left with nothing.

I hope it's Denver or the Jets. I like Cousins, but I struggle to see the Vikings as anything but an also-ran.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
OMG! OMG! OMG!

Final terms of the #Chiefs expected deal for WR Sammy Watkins: 3 years, $48M with $30M fully guaranteed at signing, sources say.

Between Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill and the newly-acquired Watkins, it would be hard to argue that the Chiefs don’t own the best tandem of skill-position players in the entire league.

Good morning, Patrick Mahomes.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks like Case Keenum is going to Denver, and Miami is releasing Ndamukong Suh. Good riddance.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Glad Cousins didn't go to Denver.

I can't decide if the Watkins thing is good or not. He's had his moments, but even on a 'really good Rams' team last year, he only had a couple good games, but did have a nose for the endzone. If he stays healthy I imagine he could still be good. Hard to tell how he'll be for fantasy though with so many other people out there. Wonder if it'll cut down on Tyreeks usage?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
IF Patrick is a competent QB, then the addition of Sammy just makes it where they can't double both of them. It should open the middle for Kelce and Hunt unless D's want to gamble with Patty's arm and 2 lightning fast receivers streaking down the field. One of those moves where his addition makes everyone better. The Rams wanted him back because they know their #1 receiver will now get all the attention in 2018.

Vroom, Vroom.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I'm still in shock because I cannot remember the last time the Chiefs had 2 top tier receivers. If you are a D, who are you going to scheme for?

Hill, Hunt, Kelce, Watkins with Patty's arm has to make them sweat a little. San Diego is the only AFCW team with a secondary at this time including the Chiefs.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'll definitely be cheering against them less, now that Smith is stinking up another team. I still think Baby-Gronk is a punk-ass bitch though. One of the dirtiest players in the league, no matter how much talent he's got.

No doubt, the offense is gearing up to light up the scoreboard though. But I assume they need to with Denver signing a non-JV QB, the Chargers healthy, and the Raiders likely getting over whatever slump they were in last year. Should be a competitive division.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Eh, they got something for him... better than releasing him outright, which was likely the next option. The real question becomes how much longer they keep Lynch. I know he's still cheap on his rookie deal, but as far s I can tell, the kid has shown little to no growth. He should be large and in charge now by year three, and instead he's sitting behind a free agent who was cut by the Texans multiple times.

It astounds me how Elway can be so good at free agency yet so mediocre at drafting new talent. Their scouting dept needs an overhaul.

So far, the best part of free agency has been the dismantling of the Patriots. They're bleeding talent like it's gone out of style. Either the owner/coach/QB tension has gotten toxic or they know the dynasty is on it's last leg (or both). Either way, it's fun to watch.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Doug Martin & Jordy Nelson are now Raiders?! Is this fantasy football?

Crazy.. sad to see Crabtree go though. He always made clutch plays.. but also had a lot of stupid penalties and sometimes gave up during games..

I'd laugh to see him go to Seattle and have to face Talib twice a year again.