Official NFL 2018/2019 Thread!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, I thought the niners were getting jobbed too. Not that they'd have pulled off the comeback, but the refs were just killing them. Nothing beats that Mathews sack though. How the hell else is he supposed to tackle that guy? Same story, third verse.

As someone who has been watching football, college and pro, my entire life, I feel like I don't understand the rules anymore. And I'm normally a rules wonk, staying up on the latest tweaks and such... but this year, this tackling thing is even more vexing than the catch rule. I understood the catch rule even if I didn't agree with it. But now, between the weird touchback and tackling rules, I feel lost half the time.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
It's why I think I like RedZone so much, you really only have to see the good plays, and if two things happen at once they show you the good stuff you missed right away, and skip most of the bad stuff.

Also, this:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Redzone is great if you have zero interest in just watching a football game. If you just want to drink from the firehose and keep tabs on your fantasy players, it's fine. But I detest not having the option of watching good teams in action.

I usually bring up the Sunday Ticket 2x4 grid and watch 8 games at once. Then I pick out one game I want to follow closely. When the team I like has the ball, I watch it full-screen, and when they're on defense or commercial, I switch back to the grid and cue up the audio on the most interesting of the eight.

I don't worry about seeing highlights immediately. When you're watching 4-8 games at once, the highlights will come across your screen many times in a very short span anyway. Redzone just pisses me off, as I get invested in a game and want to see how the opposing team responds, especially late in a game, and then they abruptly cut away to Jags v Browns to show you a fieldgoal in a game that doesn't matter to anyone, and I want to slit my wrists.

I admit RZ is better than nothing if you're stuck with cable or Dish, but I'd fight you for my sunday ticket.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
I dunno, this year we have RedZone through Spectrum and they do a really good job at keeping focus on the important games. It's a different host/crew than the DirecTV RedZone I had in the past.

Having a whole day of (almost) nonstop football without commercial breaks is really nice. Especially when you don't have to do any channel surfing yourself.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Having spent the last two decades following a QB who was not with my in-market team, being able to watch that QB was always of the upmost importance. I didn't care about the highlights of other games nearly as much as I did watching Peyton's team. Good, bad, or ugly, I wanted to watch the Colts/Broncos... the rest of the league be damned.

You'd think that now that I'm somewhat of an orphan fan that I'd be more into RZ-style watching. But I really like the ebb and flow of a great game. I don't want to only see the scoring plays like some kind of attention-deficit meth addict. I want to watch a complete game.

Fantasy/gambling certainly encourages RZ-style viewing, but that kinda reduces the game to just scoring plays and Sportscenter highlights. I can't pick up on the nuances of the game just watching snippets. IT'S FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME, MAN! ;)

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
There are usually so few actually 'good' games per week, I don't really miss it. I get the Thursday game, Sunday night game, Monday game to themselves. The other ones I don't mind jumping around. I wish they balanced the morning and afternoon games better.. it feels like there are only 3 games in the afternoon sometimes.

Last nights game was pretty good.. was hoping Fitzmagic would somehow get the comeback.. but the Steelers are still pretty good, despite being an absurd 1-1-1.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, I agree they should balance the schedule better. When they do ten early games and three late, the ratio is really off. I'm of the opinion that any game played west of the mississippi should be a 4:00 start. Fuck Dallas, KC, Chicago, GB, and Minnesota trying to pretend they're east coast teams.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
It's going to be weird when the time changes and it's dark when football starts. I like having the Thursday/Sunday/Monday night games start with the daylight still on.

It always trips me out when suddenly it's dark at 5PM when football starts.

But yeah they should do a better job at spacing them out. I guess in the old days it didn't matter because all you got was the local game on TV.. but now people have access to all the games.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Don't you dare mess with my noon games. Us central zoners are the only ones with proper kickoff times of 12pm, 3pm and 7pm.
You'd have plenty of noon games on TV, but the KC home games should absolutely be in the late slot with the rest of the AFC WEST. If you're geographically closer to Denver than any point on the east coast, you have no business in the early slots. But there are several teams like that, all of which need to play later games to balance out the schedule. Really, what purpose does it serve to play 80% of the games simultaneously?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
You'd have plenty of noon games on TV, but the KC home games should absolutely be in the late slot with the rest of the AFC WEST. If you're geographically closer to Denver than any point on the east coast, you have no business in the early slots. But there are several teams like that, all of which need to play later games to balance out the schedule. Really, what purpose does it serve to play 80% of the games simultaneously?
Not our fault the time line is an entire state west of our football stadium. Mountain is the region that screws everything up with their lack of participation in the fooseball.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
We play in the 3pm slot quite a bit, but Noon home games are definitely preferred when going to the stadium for a day time game. KC is the dead center of the country, 600 miles east of Denver, so I'm not sure how we get grouped into the "West".

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
OH, BUT WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE RIVALRIES?!

Seriously, would the world stop if KC didn't play Oakland, Dallas didn't play the Giants, or Miami didn't play the Pats? No, absolutely not. Everyone should get a turn to have Cleveland in their division for a few years.

We're all old enough to remember when the Seahawks were an AFC team, Arizona was in the NFC East, and LA had two teams the first time...

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
The Rams looked on another level.. who the fuck is the Goff kid! I remember everyone clowning on him! He was too dumb to pick up the offense under Fisher.. jeez.

Rams/Chiefs is gonna be 92 to 91 OT. Just Madden bombs all night long.

I wish I had picked my fantasy team just based on those teams. Though the Vikings players were balling too. Crazy how terribad the Vikings defense looked the last 2 weeks.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Chiefs looked like trash in the 1st half, but looked more normal in the 2nd. Next week will be interesting with the Jags.. they're another team that seems all over the place this year.

I don't get Denver either, like at all. They've looked like totally different teams each week.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Watching Keenum in the 4th Qtr last night was a flashback to every non Trent Green Chiefs season I have witnessed over the past 30yrs. Goddamn its nice to finally have the guy that you know is going to go get the win.

Patty in the first half was exactly what I was worried about going into the game since he had displayed jitters during the start of the home opener last week. Once he gets by all of these firsts this year, he should become steady. I can't believe the D held it together long enough for Patty to wake up.

"Showtime" is the gayest nickname ever and I wanted to strangle the announcer.

The refs really helped on some of those calls like the clock. It's weird to be on the receiving end of them for once.

Glad to see Hunt still has it even though it cost me our fantasy game.

This team is going to be incredible by the last quarter of the season minus any injuries to multiple stars.

I wish we still had Peters and Berry on the field so I could actually believe this is a Superb Owl worthy team.

Can't wait to watch the Mexican Superb Owl in November.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah some of those calls.. First the Raiders and now the Chiefs! Oh well, it is nice to get them in your favor when they happen. They're like little unearned gifts from the football gods.

Showtime is really, really, really bad.

Watching Mahomes in comeback mode was kind of like 2016 Carr. Just find a way to win.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Chiefs are looking wounded going into Foxboro Sunday night. It’s so bad that they are looking for an outside linebacker just to be able to field a full defense with Houston and KPass down and Ford with a gimp groin. Losing our medical DR right guard to a broken fibula will reek havoc on the pass protection. If the boy prince can pull this one out when Brady Co is firing on all cylinders with his new targets, then the debate will be over and I’ll accept him as the new king. If the Chiefs go 6-0 while knocking off Pittsburg, Jacksonville and the Patriots, then there is no reason for them not to be AFC champion front runners.

This whole thing is completely unexpected by me. We all knew the offense would be lethal with all the toys, but nobody could have known just how much that year on the bench would translate into performance on the field for Mahomes. I just figured we’d see mad TD bombs paired with rookie mistakes and plenty of INTs. I didn’t ever dream the shit show D would be able to pick up the slack when those INTs finally came. Unbelievable.

NSA

♪♪Too Many Cooks♪♪
Cook
Mar 13, 2011
NP, CA
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah the Pat's will be the last big test. Belichick will be scheming up ways to exploit his weaknesses.. So we'll see. As long as he can scramble and improvise on the run, I think they'll be fine.

I really want the Rams and Chiefs to be healthy when they face off.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Such is the life of a Chief's fan...

The Chiefs are 5-0 again, which has never, ever ended well
There are many great Kansas City traditions. Slow-smoked barbecue. Jazz. Fountains. The Chiefs building hope, and then flushing it all away in the postseason.

2018 marks the fourth time in franchise history the Chiefs have started a season 5-0. The prior three seasons all ended without a postseason win. In 2003, an overtaxed defense gave up 38 points in a Divisional Round loss to the Colts. In 2013, an overtaxed defense gave up 45 points in a Wild Card loss to the Colts. And in 2017, an overtaxed defense coughed up a 21-3 halftime lead to the Titans that saw Marcus Mariota throw a momentum-shifting touchdown pass ... to himself.