Official NFL 2019/2020 Thread!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
It should make them appreciate the Peyton years that much more. Even with old-man-past-his-prime Manning, he went 46-12 (79%) in his four years there. 4 consecutive division titles, two SB appearances (with 2 different HCs), tons of records, and a ring.

Since he left, they've gone 20-29 (41%), zero post-season appearances. Even on the downhill slide, he made a contender out of shit. I know they idolize Elway (mostly because he resembles the mascot), but I don't feel like they appreciated #18 as much as they should have while he was there. Even when he was breaking single season records, they wanted to give horseface the credit because he was the GM. I hope they don't win again for a decade.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Who wants to bet that it magically goes away? If he was a Cowboy, he'd be suspended for a year, but NE? Shit, the league isn't going to try this again with NE. If Kraft didn't get any discipline from the league after being caught on tape, Brown is scott-free.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
The timing is certainly suspect. As much as I'd like it to pan out, it kind of reeks of someone looking for a payday. I don't really doubt it happened.. but who knows how much of it is true vs inspired fiction.

Hopefully he gets the chair though if I'm being honest. Best bet is probably that the Pats don't want the negative news stories so they cut bait.

In other crappy news.. Raiders Jonathan (Sal-mon) Abrams tore a rotator cuff vs Denver and is probably out for the year. Le sigh. Vs the Chiefs this week without their 2 starting DBs? Just give us the L and move on. Not that I had them winning anyway, but the MNF defense looked like they might be able to make it interesting.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
My reaction is much the same as it always is in these cases. If he did it, I hope they throw the book at him, and if he didn't and she's a gold-digging opportunist, I hope she gets substantial prison time. I firmly believe that the only way to make these cases easier to prosecute is to make sure that somebody goes to jail. Lock up a few false accusers, and suddenly the real cases get much easier to spot, believe, and litigate. But in the circumstance when there are professional athletes and big $$$ floating around, it almost seems like it's open season for both privileged douchebags and skanky tramps. Finding the truth is no small task.

The problem arises from the fact that it's a giant he-said/she-said. If the girl has no physical evidence, no hospital exam, no police report, and her entire case is based on some circumstantial tweets... guilty or not, he's walking. I mean, I imagine that he's probably guilty, but the timing is poor, and the optics of her story about watching TV at his house seem... unusual, which implies a familiarity beyond just a professional relationship. My personal trainer often plops down on my couch just to watch the boobtube :rolleyes:. And if he weren't getting a new $15mil contract and was just bagging groceries, would this have ever come up?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I learned with Tyreek that you have to wait until the facts come out before making any judgments, but damn I want Brown to get flushed for bragging about getting himself cut and causing the Raiders to piss away 2 draft picks. I wish the league would give at least one of them back for next year. Do the Raiders get a comp pick for losing AB since he is a star vet or does the player actually have to participate?

You lost your safety, but the Chiefs lost their best receiver and a QB foot, so it should even out.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Tibial plateau fracture... That's what took out a Chiefs safety and JJ Watt 2 years back. A real bitch to recover from apparently. Amazing how the Chargers can alway be counted on to fail thru injury before the season ever gets going.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

Lets see how my predictions are looking so far this year..

9/9 - Broncos - MNF, opening week! Why?? I don't think the Broncos are any good either. Tepid W
9/15 - Chiefs - Big L
9/22 - @ Vikings - Another big L
9/29 - @ Colts - All depends on if Luck actually is in football form again, if he is, L
10/6 - Bears - MACK RETURNS! Probably an ugly L
10/20 - @ Packers - What a damn shitty schedule. L
10/27 - @ Texans - I feel like maybe this could be a W, but I'm predicting L
11/3 - Lions - I know nothing about the Lions this season, I'll say W since there have been so many L.
11/7 - Chargers - L
11/17 - Bengals - Hopefully, for gods sake, a W.
11/24 - @ Jets - W? Unless LeVeon Bell really is really good on the Jets.
12/1 - Chiefs - Big L
12/8 - Titans - For some reason the Raiders have had the Titans # for a few seasons, I guess maybe a W
12/15 - Jaguars - Feel like the Jag D will win this one by themselves. L
12/22 - @ Chargers - L
12/29 - @ Broncos - In Denver? I'll say L.
2-0!! Nice!! I guess the MNF open was better than a Tepid W, but now that seems more about being an emotional "F you AB" game than anything else.

Vikings should still be a L, though they've looked kinda crappy too. But across the country roadtrip.. yeah L.

Colts.. dunno. No Luck.. but they've seemed very okayish. I can see it being close, maybe.

Bears.. fuck they suck, the Donks almost beat them. I do expect them to be better by October though, iron out some of them wrinkles. Might not be ugly though.

Packers.. yep still a L. Rodgers ain't been Rodgers this year, but he'll toss some bombs like Mahomes and it'll be over.

Texans.. I don't see any reason this would be a W, but this is as far out as I want to look at injuries have a way of changing the landscape. Watson could be smushed in by then (or Carr for that matter).

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
You guys held the Chiefs scoreless for 3 quarters, so I think you’ll surprise more than a couple teams. Not too many teams looking better than the Raiders so far, so why not a playoff spot if the Chargers choke? After the Pats and Chiefs, who is real? Do we trust the Bills or the Ravens?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Bills? Hell no. The only reason that they won't finish dead last in the division is that the dolphins are tanking on purpose. I expect the Jets to pass them once Darnold gets healthy and Buffalo remembers they are a bunch of table smashing ass-eaters.

Ravens? They should absolutely win the division, especially with Pittsburgh taking a massive nosedive. But that doesn't mean they have anything for KC or NE.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

I feel like the Ravens might be legit.. hard to tell 2 weeks in. This week vs KC will be a good test. They almost beat KC last year and had no idea what they were doing. Their defense does look a knock down from years past though. Bengals and Steelers should both suck the rest of the way. Browns? I dunno. They haven't looked good, but they have ALL the parts you need to win.. I think they need to find a way to gel better.

Bills could do it, at least Wildcard. I think they'll be better than the Jets, the Jets are all kinds of screwed right now, and will likely be 0-4 or 0-5 before Darnold gets back from Mono. That's a hard hill to climb out of. Dolphins are in lose-forever mode.

Houston SHOULD run away with the South.. but I think Indy and Tennessee will keep it interesting. I think the Jags are cooked.

Donks suck, Chargers.. will be Chargers.. they lost to the LIONS.. but I am sure they'll manage to beat some hard team somehow. Raiders schedule is too hard for a wild card spot I feel. I said 5-10, and still mostly feel that way, COULD go 7-9 since Indy is without Luck and the Jags seem worse than before.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
It still blows my mind that we're including Mahomes in the top-QB discussion. I mean, when you see him play, it's completely warranted. But when you consider the muted fanfare when he came out of college and the fact that most pundits thought KC was nuts for trading up to get him, it still stuns me that he's up in that stratosphere now.

But looking at that list, have we finally reached the black QB tipping point? Peyton's gone, Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, Ryan, and Ben will be gone soon enough. Yet the young guns are largely AA: Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, Prescott, Murray, Watson, Brissett.

With Luck gone, there are no young whitey QBs lighting things up. Carr, Goff, Cousins, and Wentz are good but barely above average... Jimmy G and Mayfield are still question marks. While every position in the league has been predominantly AA for year, QB was the one holdout position. I suspect that will no longer be the case in five years. I'm not making a value judgement here, just observing what appears to be a glacial but inevitable change.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Except Mahomes is neither black nor white, but he was raised white as can be by his mother in Texas. His white girlfriend has been on his arm since high school, so we'll just chalk him up as a Tiger Woods since they both refuse to say they are black.

Athletically it's no match between black and white QB's, but we are still waiting on that pure black guy who dominates the mental game the way this aging gen of white guys did and the way Mahomes is showing signs of. This gen of black QBs are probably the first to have had the luxury of quality QB coaching from the time they started playing and it is definitely showing up in spades. It certainly will not be long before we get "that guy" if he isn't already in the league.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
As someone who witnessed the latter stages of Moon's tenure in Houston firsthand, he was definitely not. He had a cannon for an arm, but all he knew how to do was chuck it. Buddy Ryan used to refer to the Run-n-Shoot offense as the Run-n-Duck. Moon was talented but far from what I'd call "cerebral".

I agree that the amount of black QBs coming up has increased, and they likely do have vastly superior coaching to what they got 20-30 years ago. There have been black QBs in the NFL my whole life, but we seem to be reaching the tipping point where for the first time, the best young QBs across the whole league are now AA.

But yeah, as soon as "that guy" comes along, it'll be a watershed moment. Historically the AA QBs were always runners, from Cunningham to Vick to RG3. And those guys always had a limited shelf life because the minute they lost a step or had an injury, they were toast. It'll be interesting to see if any among this new crop can become that true pocket passer and have a 15-18 year career.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
  • NSA

NSA

I don't know if any of the QBs (white or otherwise) in the league are a direct replacement for Brady/Manning (Peyton). The mental acuity to size up defenses on the fly and be the General out there. Mahomes seems pretty legit though. Prescott looks way better this year, same with Jackson in Baltimore.

Though Wilson has been quietly doing his thing well for a while now. He runs but not a ton, can still chuck it pretty good, and has dealt with a shit OL for years now. I think because he's a "nice guy" and not in the news much.. people overlook him.

It did seem like Luck was the smart/skills all in one package.. but he's gone now.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Wilson's clearly talented, but I'm not sure I'd put him in that cerebral category either.

I lost all respect for him when he tried to convince everyone that he and what's-her-face weren't bumping uglies. If you didn't want to talk about your personal life in the media, that's ok, but don't insult my intelligence, Football Hootie.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I think Ramsey is almost as big a malcontent as Brown. He's just the DB version.

But to be fair, I'd be pushing for a trade too if I was stranded in Jacksonville, on a team with a pud for a coach, that has never won jack squat, and already on the backup QB by the end of the first quarter of the first game. That makes for a loooooooong season of going nowhere.