Official NFL 2019/2020 Thread!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Football is dead to me.
That's how I feel about college football. UT is barreling toward their worst season in the 120+ year history of the program. It pains me so badly, I just stopped watching college ball. On the plus side, it has really freed up my saturdays. I'm not planning when to be in front of the TV or hurrying to get stuff done because home game.

It's a small consolation that my best friend is an FSU fan, and since they're equally terrible this year, I don't have to endure much mockery. We just tacitly agreed not to speak of college football for the next 11 months.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Paul's Prediction (PP) update..

9/9 - Broncos - MNF, opening week! Why?? I don't think the Broncos are any good either. Tepid W [CORRECT!]
9/15 - Chiefs - Big L [CORRECT!]
9/22 - @ Vikings - Another big L [CORRECT!]
9/29 - @ Colts - All depends on if Luck actually is in football form again, if he is, L [I'll give this one to myself]
10/6 - Bears - MACK RETURNS! Probably an ugly L
10/20 - @ Packers - What a damn shitty schedule. L
10/27 - @ Texans - I feel like maybe this could be a W, but I'm predicting L
11/3 - Lions - I know nothing about the Lions this season, I'll say W since there have been so many L.
11/7 - Chargers - L
11/17 - Bengals - Hopefully, for gods sake, a W.
11/24 - @ Jets - W? Unless LeVeon Bell really is really good on the Jets.
12/1 - Chiefs - Big L
12/8 - Titans - For some reason the Raiders have had the Titans # for a few seasons, I guess maybe a W
12/15 - Jaguars - Feel like the Jag D will win this one by themselves. L
12/22 - @ Chargers - L
12/29 - @ Broncos - In Denver? I'll say L.
4-0 on my picks! Kinda. I specified that if Luck was good, Raiders would lose.. obviously Luck wasn't there, so technically he wasn't in football form.. so I think I'm technically right, which is the best kind of right.

Bears should be an easy L, their offense isn't anything special but I don't see Carr & Co holding up. Should be like the Vikings game. Mack is going to have fun.

Packers.. I dunno, I don't see a way for the Raiders to win this unless injuries come into play.

Texans.. surprisingly have sucked on offense, but have been doing work on defense. Still don't see this as winnable at the moment.

Lions.. I predicted a Win but they almost beat the Chiefs, so who knows. I feel like the Lions are a very hot/cold team (They blew a lead and tied with the Cardinals week 1!) so who knows.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
The Lions are looking legit and doing it without top shelf talent. Patricia certainly has them fighting, but you know eventually a team will break their will this season and they crumble. Glad the AFCW won't have to play them for another 4yrs while they gain talent.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

What a weird day!

4-1 with my picks now, I did NOT expect the Raiders to beat Chicago.. in London of all places. Maybe they're used to the trip since it's their 3rd time there? Trubisky isn't anything special, but I'd guess Chase Daniel is worse. I was shocked when they got up 17-0.. but of course let the Bears roar back in the 3rd quarter to go down 21-17. Amazed they pulled off a game winning drive at the end though. 3-2 so far.. Donkeys won, but at the expense of the Chargers. Chiefs somehow lost to the Colts, which was shocking.

I don't think this changes my outlook on the rest of the season much. Packers have been vulnerable to the run, and thats where the Raiders have been doing the best, so maybe if they do something like Indy did where you just run run run and play keep away they can beat Rodgers, but I doubt it. Houston should like the KC game where the Raiders just can't keep up offensively.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Surprised about Chiefs (no reason for that amount of talent to lose... ever), not surprised about niners (they seem legit). Rams, steelers, and chargers all seem lost, fated to wallow in their own mediocracy.

And Jameis has sucked since he was at Free Shoes U.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Chiefs are doomed for a bit. They are missing 3 of 4 starting DLine plus their middle linebacker while also missing LG, LT and Mahomes having a bum leg which has destroyed his accuracy after it gets hit In a game. Hopefully some of them start healing up in the next 2-3wks, but I’m not even sure the starting D can stop the run.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Did his ankle get hit again yesterday? Wonder if defenses are targeting it now.

I only saw the RedZone highlights so I missed a lot of the game.

Raiders have to play in Green Bay next week, and then in Houston.. so that's 2 losses right there. Chargers can't get out of their own way, and Denver will be mediocre at best the rest of the way. I think KC can take a few losses without any real trouble. First round bye might be on the line, but odds are the playoffs will go through Foxboro yet again...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
If Adams isn't playing, I would argue that GB is a 50/50 game, very winnable. They just don't look right without their best WR.

I don't know what's wrong with the Chargers. In theory, they should have last year's playoff team plus a ton of guys that came back from injury. I'm at a loss at exactly where their deficiencies have come from out of the blue.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Man did anyone watch that game last night? I'd argue the Refs fucked over the Lions worse than the Saints last year (though it's debatable). Holy shit, *2* phantom "hands to the face" calls all to give Rodgers more shots at making a magical comeback. BS!

Really ALL ref calls need to be reviewable/challenged at this point. Ugh. Not that I had a dog in the fight, but it's just gross seeing shit like this slide. A couple of weeks ago I was talking to pcsguy88 about how the Chiefs were starting to get "Brady" ref calls.. and I suppose Rodgers gets the same treatment. Ugh.

As for the Chargers.. I think Rivers is just done. He's angry, but not as determined anymore. They also (as usual) seem to suffer from the most injuries of any team, AND they haven't had a good kicking game in.. forever.

Not to mention the LA crowd hasn't been kind to them, I kinda feel bad. I don't know what is worse, forever being in mediocrity, but not terrible.. always MAYBE having a shot.. or just sucking for a long time like the Raiders. At least most years by week 7-8 I know the Raiders suck and whatever, no hope. Chargers fans get strung along all season, and even into the post season.. though they know there is no real chance.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I think the league noticed the Chiefs getting the Brady treatment and self corrected the past 2 weeks. The amount of flags being thrown is absolutely ridiculous around the league and you can tell they hate the reviewable PI and are determined to never overturn it.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Well, the reviewable PI was only implemented to overturn the most egregious calls/non-calls, a la the Rams/Saints playoff game. It wasn't meant to scrutinize every PI call of every game. So in that regard, I'm glad they're overturning scant few of them, letting coaches know this isn't some kind of magical get-out-of-jail-free card to be used on a whim. I don't want every play to go under the microscope.

Attending a games in person during the 90's pre-replay, there was a TON of boring downtime. You don't realize how many commercials there are in an NFL game until you go and sit through a bunch of interminable delays where everyone in the building is just twiddling their thumbs for no reason. "WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR... oh yeah, beer and truck commercials I can't see." I can only imagine how much worse it is now when half the plays are "under-review". The delays seem to take forever even as I fast-forward through them on TV. Any more reviews, and it will become as slow and boring as baseball.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Well, if this isn't the pot calling the kettle... greedy?

“Used me for the HBO ratings then rip my guarantees! No way I play with scrubs on weak weak basis chicken plan was for shirts not [football emoji].”

Antonio Brown accuses Oakland Raiders of using him for financial gain: got me for 'ratings then rip my guarantees'

Given that we all thought he used the raiders to manipulate his way onto the Pats, screwing the raiders in the process, this is particularly comical. Also, he really needs a publicist, or at least a friend with rudimentary grammar skills. The more insane english-challenged tweets he puts out, the more he confirms that he's a head-case.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah.. yikes. At least now no one is really listening to him anymore, I don't think anyone cares.. which is probably the best outcome. It sucks for the Raiders since they really don't have a WR1 since they were planning on it being AB all off-season. Really showed yesterday when they needed some clutch plays. Tyrell Williams is good, but he's firmly a #2 guy. Oh well. Houston beat KC, and KC destroyed Oakland, so staying competitive all game is an improvement I suppose.

Packers just keep winning.. Matt Moore did pretty good actually, but man the Pack are hard to beat. I can't believe KC is 1-3 at home this year. The crowd there is so loud!

Bears suck lol

Saints looking legit this year.

49ers.. wtf..

Patriots doing Patriot things, sigh.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Worst news ever, Drew (and everyone else) has left Deadspin.

This Is How It’s Gonna Work

Apparently an editor was fired over something innocuous, a mass rebellion ensued, and everyone worth a damn quit. I'm confident Drew et al will resurface at various places around the interwebs, but it's kind of the end of an era. We'll have to figure out where he turns up to read the Funbag and Why-Your-Team-Sucks columns.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I was semi-following the stuff that came out from Kotaku.. which I think is the gaming side of the same company. Didn't Univision or something buy up Gawker which included all these sites?

I'll be honest I don't ever read them outside of the team sucks posts, so I don't really get what is going on.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'm not a deadspin junkie or anything. I scan the site for interesting articles a couple of times a week, but I read Drew's articles religiously because dude is seriously funny, even if he is a raging left-winger.

Most of my time on that family of sites is car-related on jalopnik or the kinja daily deals stuff (so I know what crap to buy on amazon, 'natch). But I will miss Drew until he resurfaces.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’m on Gizmodo daily, so watched the whole thing unfold over the past two days. the revolt began when the new owners took a million dollar advertising deal from State Farm (or a different ins comp) and then plastered the pages with auto start video ads. That wasn’t enough to deliver the promised impressions, so the started making you watch the add before their own videos. This pissed off both readers and staff who began to complain. The final straw was the owners telling Drew to “stick to sports” and so he quit. Yesterday 7-10 others quit in protest and all comments were turned off on deadspin all while State Farm pulled their ads. The protest comments have now spilled over to all the other sites.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
When will those morons realize that an old man yelling at clouds is not a political movement?

I thought Drew was part of the fallout, not the catalyst. I know there was a lot of "stick to sports" talk, but I thought that dictate came down to the main deadspin editor. Either way, it's been a shit-show for a couple of days.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Oh, guess I thought Drew was the main editor, but yeah, you are correct. Editor fired and most of the rest walked. it’s funny to see that chick ousting today since she also quit, but is fulfilling her 2 weeks like a respectable employee. guess she wants a job after this one.