Official NFL 2019/2020 Thread!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, this is their third cheating scandal in the last dozen years. When was the last time any other NFL team had a cheating scandal? It will always be a cloud over their otherwise historic accomplishments, because as skeptical viewers in the 21st century who aren't Massholes, most of us are convinced that we have only discovered the tip of the iceberg. I have no doubt they've done tons of other cheating too that we'll never discover.

That being said, they've been effective in finding every little loophole and cranny of the rulebook that might contain an advantage. It's a skill often admired on other sports, such as auto racing. It's expected that race teams are going to try to circumvent the rules if possible or follow the letter of the rule while clearly violating the spirit. I've read some fascinating articles on innovative engineering in nascar to get an advantage. In racing, if you're not pushing the rules to the limit, you're not trying very hard.

Yet in stick and ball sports, it's a totally different ball of wax. The rules are sacrosanct, and even a mere attempt to gain an edge is hella bad form. That being said, fuck the Patriots and their horny, made-of-processed-cheese owner.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
In other news, the Chiefs finally woke up and played a complete game. Defense added a 4th straight week for holding their opponent to under 20pts. Might be the coveted “peak at the right time” moment KC has been crossing their fingers for all season.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Raiders lost their last home game in Oakland.. to the Jags. El oh El. They looked good in the first half, and somehow fell apart completely in the 4th quarter (shock).

While it would have been cool to see them go out on a high note for the fans.. I really don't give a shit. Better draft picks are worth more at this point. New town, new team, new start.

9/9 - Broncos - MNF, opening week! Why?? I don't think the Broncos are any good either. Tepid W [CORRECT!]
9/15 - Chiefs - Big L [CORRECT!]
9/22 - @ Vikings - Another big L [CORRECT!]
9/29 - @ Colts - All depends on if Luck actually is in football form again, if he is, L [CORRECT*]
10/6 - Bears - MACK RETURNS! Probably an ugly L [INCORRECT!]
10/20 - @ Packers - What a damn shitty schedule. L [CORRECT!]
10/27 - @ Texans - I feel like maybe this could be a W, but I'm predicting L [CORRECT!]
11/3 - Lions - I know nothing about the Lions this season, I'll say W since there have been so many L. [CORRECT!]
11/7 - Chargers - L [INCORRECT!]
11/17 - Bengals - Hopefully, for gods sake, a W. [CORRECT!]
11/24 - @ Jets - W? Unless LeVeon Bell really is really good on the Jets. [INCORRECT!]
12/1 - Chiefs - Big L [CORRECT!]
12/8 - Titans - For some reason the Raiders have had the Titans # for a few seasons, I guess maybe a W [INCORRECT!]
12/15 - Jaguars - Feel like the Jag D will win this one by themselves. L [CORRECT!]
12/22 - @ Chargers - L
12/29 - @ Broncos - In Denver? I'll say L.
My record, 10-4. Raiders record, 6-8.

Somehow with the Steelers losing, the Raiders are still technically in the playoff hunt, which is amazing (and shows how much the AFC sucks). The next two games are definitely winnable, but I'm guessing the Raiders do just enough to win but miss playoffs and get a crappy mid-round draft pick.

In other news.. holy shit the Chargers are terrible. They literally got raped by the Vikings. My friend Mitch (Chargers fan, Overlord in 118th league) and his wife (Vikings fan) went to the game.. one of them had a much better time than the other lol.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
1) Good lord, how dense is this guy? Does he take the short bus to practice?

2) How do you get suspended six times in six years and not just get a lifetime ban? At what point does the league just decide you have no intention of following the rules?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, maybe. It was the Donkeys and the Bears. The Raiders beat the Bears, and that was without the benefit of Trubisky playing! Any given Sunday and all that, but should be an easy win vs the Chargers next week too.

Browns looked like maybe they'd bottle up Lamar this week, but he exploded after a bit. Either way it should be a fun game. Both teams can score in seconds, so hopefully it goes down to the final minute.

9/9 - Broncos - MNF, opening week! Why?? I don't think the Broncos are any good either. Tepid W [CORRECT!]
9/15 - Chiefs - Big L [CORRECT!]
9/22 - @ Vikings - Another big L [CORRECT!]
9/29 - @ Colts - All depends on if Luck actually is in football form again, if he is, L [CORRECT*]
10/6 - Bears - MACK RETURNS! Probably an ugly L [INCORRECT!]
10/20 - @ Packers - What a damn shitty schedule. L [CORRECT!]
10/27 - @ Texans - I feel like maybe this could be a W, but I'm predicting L [CORRECT!]
11/3 - Lions - I know nothing about the Lions this season, I'll say W since there have been so many L. [CORRECT!]
11/7 - Chargers - L [INCORRECT!]
11/17 - Bengals - Hopefully, for gods sake, a W. [CORRECT!]
11/24 - @ Jets - W? Unless LeVeon Bell really is really good on the Jets. [INCORRECT!]
12/1 - Chiefs - Big L [CORRECT!]
12/8 - Titans - For some reason the Raiders have had the Titans # for a few seasons, I guess maybe a W [INCORRECT!]
12/15 - Jaguars - Feel like the Jag D will win this one by themselves. L [CORRECT!]
12/22 - @ Chargers - L [INCORRECT!]
12/29 - @ Broncos - In Denver? I'll say L.
Paul's Picks: 10-5

Crazy that the Raiders are still technically in the playoff hunt. They needed a bunch of things to break their way this week, which they did, and still more next week. It seems unlikely, at best, and I don't know if I'd even want them to, as they'd likely be insta-bounced by anyone they play, but I suppose at least making playoffs the last year in Oakland would be seen as going out on a high note. It's funny because they had so many games they SHOULD have won this year.. but alas. A win next week vs Denver and they'll end the season 8-8, which is at least higher than anyone (including me) predicted before the season, and especially after the Antonio Brown fiasco. IF they win next week they'll also be 4-2 in the division, only losing to the Chiefs, which is also funny/sad for the Broncos and Chargers.

I don't really care much who makes the Superb Owl, as long as it's not the Patriots. Good chance the Pats will get bounced by the Chiefs or Ravens.. but the specter of Belichick looms..

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I mean, maybe. It was the Donkeys and the Bears. The Raiders beat the Bears, and that was without the benefit of Trubisky playing! Any given Sunday and all that, but should be an easy win vs the Chargers next week too.

Browns looked like maybe they'd bottle up Lamar this week, but he exploded after a bit. Either way it should be a fun game. Both teams can score in seconds, so hopefully it goes down to the final minute.

Paul's Picks: 10-5

Crazy that the Raiders are still technically in the playoff hunt. They needed a bunch of things to break their way this week, which they did, and still more next week. It seems unlikely, at best, and I don't know if I'd even want them to, as they'd likely be insta-bounced by anyone they play, but I suppose at least making playoffs the last year in Oakland would be seen as going out on a high note. It's funny because they had so many games they SHOULD have won this year.. but alas. A win next week vs Denver and they'll end the season 8-8, which is at least higher than anyone (including me) predicted before the season, and especially after the Antonio Brown fiasco. IF they win next week they'll also be 4-2 in the division, only losing to the Chiefs, which is also funny/sad for the Broncos and Chargers.

I don't really care much who makes the Superb Owl, as long as it's not the Patriots. Good chance the Pats will get bounced by the Chiefs or Ravens.. but the specter of Belichick looms..
I think you missed the part about being #1 since week 11. That’s 5 weeks and covers Mexico and NE. Since the halfway mark, the Chiefs Defense is # 2 and incredibly, Baltimore’s is number one. If this is the AFCCG matchup, it might be better than the MNF Rams game last year.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I think you missed the part about being #1 since week 11. That’s 5 weeks and covers Mexico and NE. Since the halfway mark, the Chiefs Defense is # 2 and incredibly, Baltimore’s is number one. If this is the AFCCG matchup, it might be better than the MNF Rams game last year.
Like I said.. maybe.

Their schedule since Week 11?

Chargers - scored 17 (and they're terrible)
Raiders - scored 9 (and are terrible)
Patriots - scored 16 (and are clearly not an offensive powerhouse this year)
Broncos - 3, Bears - 3 - We both know these teams suck

So.. yes, they've been good, but the competition isn't exactly playoff material (1 playoff bound team, 1 team with a winning record).

For the Ravens since their bye..

They beat, Patriots, Bengas, Texans, Rams, 49ers, Bills, Jets, Browns. 4 playoff bound teams, 4 crappy teams. We'll see? I dunno. The Ravens scored 35+ in 5/8 of those, and basically took the 4th quarter off, which I am sure let some teams score a few meaningless times (which killed me in fantasy some weeks).

I think the Patriot victory for the Chiefs was huge, but the rest... meh. Beating the Vikings was good too, as they're a good team. Likewise, losing to the Packers, Colts, and Texans, shows there was still work to do. Did they fix it and now we're seeing the fruit of their work? Maybe? I just don't think the recent games are a good measuring stick since the teams all basically suck.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
KC also didn’t have a healthy Mahomes from the first half of week one until after the bye due to multiple injuries. The offense is finally humming along and now, scoring at will against the toughest defenses in the league. Hill was injured week one and it wasn’t until after the bye that Hill and Mahomes were even on the field together. Regardless, last year every offense looked like the Ravens when they played the Chiefs and now all of a sudden they are number one in points allowed. Did you think you would see that as a headline this year? I didn’t. You’d have to watch a game in order to make up you own mind because stats do not show what Honey Badger and the suddenly no fly zone secondary are doing while Clark is wreaking havoc with Chris Jones and now Suggs (made several plays in his first week) on the QB. It looks like Chiefs defenses of old. The only team that scares me is the Titans because somehow those fuckers best KC every damn time.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
This is why my opinion is vastly different than the rest of the country. Something about the Chiefs that the Ravens have not solved the past 2yrs. I’m pretty sure Patriots fans were not too concerned about the Chiefs in the AFCCG after smashing Mahomes earlier in the year.

Chiefs were missing their starting RB, starting LT, Mahomes had a bum ankle with no blindside protection and no Tyreek Hill.

1577167078960.png

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Harbaugh will need to change his defense for the game. Mahomes is one of the few QBs who feast on the zone they run and is one of the most accurate under pressure which is why the Ravens have not cracked the Chiefs code yet. It derails Jackson when he’s down 2-3 scores before halftime. Ravens have not run across another team that can score on them at will.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

Obligatory..

Here’s where I must include an obligatory disclaimer: The Patriots aren’t dead. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are going to live forever, with or without playoff byes. They’re going to harvest my organs (for fun), and then they’re going to harvest the organs of more capable humans in order to continue their eternal reign over the NFL. We can laugh at their loss to the Dolphins (the Dolphins!) and poke fun at Brady for throwing a pick-six (his first since 2017), but that will just make the inevitable Super Bowl run all the more grating. Enjoy this while you can.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Also, I officially went 11-5 in my Raiders picks. I thought they'd go 6-10, and they went 7-9 instead. They were tantalizingly close to 8-8 or even 9-7 though if a couple things went their way (and some blown calls). I am happy they didn't make the playoffs though, it would have been embarrassing to get another Wildcard exit, and this team just isn't playoff ready yet. BUT, I feel like in a number of ways they did better than anyone expected, or really they had any right to be doing. They lost 5 out of the last 6 though, which is crazy.

Josh Jacobs was great this year, and added a lot. Darren Waller was great at TE, the whole rookie class did pretty good overall. Curious to think how the defense would have been if Abrams hadn't gotten hurt in week 1, he had the look of a dominant defensive back. Raiders have the #12 & #19 picks next year, so hopefully they can hit on a couple more good young players who can make an impact year 1 in Vegas.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
The best part is now the Titans will go to NE and then Baltimore as the 6th seed, so maybe the Ravens do not make it to the AFCCG.
Henry is a beast, but I see exactly zero scenarios in which the Titans beat Baltimore. Lamar will score 21 in the first quarter and render the running game useless. And Tannehill is not the type of QB you want playing from behind.

I appreciate your passion for the Chiefs, but I sense a lot of homerism in your optimism. They are clearly one of the top teams in the AFC, probably #2, but Baltimore is on another level right now. They haven't lost a game since september, and in most of those, Lamar sat out the 4th quarter. The Loss to KC was by five points, in Arrowhead, in Lamar's 10th regular season start. In the last three months, he's been nothing short of super-human. A playoff game against the current ravens, in Baltimore, would be a very different contest.

Lamar was on my other fantasy team, and I watched every game. Not once did my jaw manage to stay off the floor. Be overconfident at your own peril.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It’s not overconfidence, it’s lack of fear. The Chiefs were up by 3 scores at halftime and coasted the 2nd half of the game where they didn’t have their best offensive players and Mahomes was gimping around. Lamar only got the score to within 5 because he was tossing garbage time 50/50 balls. Be as confident as you want, but I’m guessing you have not watched the Chiefs since Mexico City for you to be so dismissive of how much better they are now than when they stomped Jackson into a mud hole in week 3. Since then the Ravens have improved on offense and the Chiefs have VASTLY improved on defense. Go watch the highlights of week 3 and tell me Lamar wasn’t playing excellent there.

The teams are even as far as I’m concerned and maybe that means Baltimore takes the home game, but you’d be nucking futs to think the Chiefs are not a grave threat to Baltimore. Go watch some national coverage and then call all of those people homers too. You point out it was only his 10th game like it‘s suppose to mean something for a soon to be MVP QB who nobody else has beaten. We certainly were not saying that about the current MVP QB in his 10th start last season while on his way to 50 tds. Both of these teams have stupid levels of talent on offense and can score from any place on the field at any time. Flip a coin because I wouldn’t bet my money on either team head to head.

It’s also silly to dismiss the Titans considering their time of possession game keeps Lamar and Patrick on the bench where they can’t do a damn thing. It’s exactly how you take a high powered offense out of the game.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I do watch national coverage. And they all say the Chiefs are really good, and that Baltimore is the class of the league. I'm not saying that KC isn't very good or that it's impossible for the chiefs to win. Far from it. Any given sunday and all that. But if I had a gun to my head and had to put straight-up money on that game, there would be zero hesitation where I would place my bet.

I have no dog in the fight. I have neither money nor fandom riding on any team in the AFC. I just know what I see with my eyeballs.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’d go with Baltimore being the better team this year, but that’s so convoluted with Mahomes’ ankle being injured minutes into the season, being stepped on by his own guy during the Baltimore game and then blowing out a kneecap a few weeks later. Then there was Hill going out week one and Damien Williams and LT Eric Fisher. Mahomes and Hill didn’t even play together until Mexico. During this time the defense stepped up and started winning games convincingly and over the last 2 weeks the offense is finally right. They can once again score at will, but learned from last year and Alex Smith it to burn clock/rest defense until they need to score quickly. Since that gut wrenching last second fluke loss to the Titans, the team has been winning in all phases. They can beat anyone anywhere, but Baltimore probably can too after taking out the 49’ers. Gun to my head I’d have to bet on the Chiefs simply due to history, just like I would have bet on the Patriots in the AFCCG last year if forced. Head to head record trumps all until it doesn’t and Jackson is 0-2 vs Mahomes.

In other news, KC’s rookie star Safety Juan Thornhill tore his ACL against the Chargers and the combination of him and Mathieu is what allowed the pass defense to be tops and the pass rush to get home. I am very concerned this chink in the armor will have a noticeable effect in the playoffs against good QBs.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Say what you will, KC lost to three of the four teams from the AFC South, and only one of those losses was with Moore at the helm. It takes more than thumping five teams from the Mountain West Conference to get the stink off. Since beating the Vikings in wk 9, they have exactly one win over a non-bottom-feeder, and that win over the Pats is looking less impressive with every passing week as NE descends into football purgatory.

The D has looked good, but those stats were compiled against the absolute dregs of the league. The Chiefs will not be facing the Chargers, Broncos, Bears, or the Oakland School for the Blind in the post-season. The good news for you is that they got a bye, and then will face a depleted Pats team, or the winner of the BUF/HOU game. All three of those are beatable. Baltimore is all you have to worry about. (No, you won't face the Titans. The odds of a one-dimensional Tennessee beating the Pats AND Baltimore - both on the road - are incalculably small).

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Yes. Chiefs lost 3 games when they were severely depleted due to injuries. Guess that means they couldn’t beat those teams today. The defense was also in the bottom 10 in the league during that span due to learning a new scheme and injuries of their own. Spags did not roll out the full defense until Mexico because the players could not handle it and the difference is night and day. It’s hard for me as a fan to believe the difference.

So if the Chiefs can’t win because they lost those games, then why change your standards and say the Ravens are unbeatable when they keep losing to the Chiefs? Thankfully only the games ahead matter and words mean shit, so we will all know over the next 3wks. Personally, the only matchup that I bet against the Chiefs in these playoffs is with the Titans since they have won the last 3 meetings against Alex and Mahomes. They just know how to beat the Chiefs.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
So if the Chiefs can’t win because they lost those games, then why change your standards and say the Ravens are unbeatable when they keep losing to the Chiefs?
Ummm, because I never said that? What I said was:

I'm not saying that KC isn't very good or that it's impossible for the chiefs to win. Far from it. Any given sunday and all that. But if I had a gun to my head and had to put straight-up money on that game, there would be zero hesitation where I would place my bet.
Look back a few comments, I predicted an easy chiefs win against HOU even though they lost to them earlier. You're getting defensive and reading into my statements things I have not said. The whole convo started b/c you were spouting stats about how dominant the chiefs are now, and I was just cautioning you to not be overconfident b/c Baltimore is playing lights-out football right now, and KC has been racking up those numbers against shitty teams.

They very well might win it all. I'm just saying I need to see them beat some legit teams before anointing them. Baltimore played a much tougher schedule down the stretch, and they looked incredible. But KC might be the greatest team ever, however their recent competition isn't a great yardstick. If your whole prediction for the future is predicated on KC beating Lamar while he was still an NFL toddler, then I think you're in for an unhappy surprise.

I don't know what's going to happen, and I look forward to seeing both teams dance on the corpse of the Patriots. I'm not dissing your team. Don't get your bison briefs in a bunch.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
It’s not Patrick beating Lamar, they do not play against each other. It’s Reid beating Harbaugh that I put my weight behind. Coaching matters.

The Chiefs ARE NOT the best team and no way is their path to the Super Bowl guaranteed or even easy, but because the Patriots shit the bed on Sunday, it now makes it where the Chiefs’ worst matchup does not play them unless the Ravens lose. The Texans and Pats are inconsistent and certainly do not cause dread this year to the Chiefs or Ravens and the Bills do not seem ready to run with the big boys. This is an off year where the biggest threat to the top two AFC teams are in the sixth seed and go to play the #1. Running and clock control wins year after year in the playoffs because it travels well and keeps flashy weapons off of the field. Just ask the 2018 Chiefs and Rams.

The stats I posted? That was because I can hardly believe it myself. As if Spags flipped a switch, suddenly the defense attacks on every play. Suddenly Clark (who nobody knew he had such a bad injury the first half of the season and we were calling for Brett Veach to be run out of town) is smashing QBs and tackling for losses, Mathieu is picking the ball off regularly and the secondary of nobodies is swatting down balls and creating coverage sacks. Teams cannot run like they did during the Texans, Colts and Titans losses, though I’m positive the Titans still could. Phillip Lindsey and Josh Jacobs were suddenly non-factors. I was simply pointing out that defense is now winning games for the Chiefs which has been unthinkable for 2yrs now. The Mahomes offense is now about ball control while dinking and dunking down the field ala Alex Smith until the need to convert that 3rd and 18. This is not the 2018 Chiefs with flashy numbers and an exhausted defense, it’s not even the same team that started the season and beat the Ravens. Looking at stat sheets you would think they were much worse, but the eye test says they are a much more balanced team player smarter (boring) football.

If Harbaugh does not figure out a way to disguise his zone and confuse Mahomes as Belichick is so good at, then I do not see a different outcome. Mahomes is one of the only QBs in the league right now that actually thrives against that defensive scheme and that is why the Chiefs have won the past two matchups. Most QBs fold under the pressure and do not have the arm, accuracy and mobility to make the defense pay. Reid is also the best at scheming receivers open. Coaching matters.

Being the 3rd matchup in just over a year, that definitely shifts the chances in Baltimore’s favor since 3rd time seems to be the charm for figuring out how to beat your bully.

All of this chatter now guarantees noodle armed Brady will come in and knock off the Chiefs by 3 scores.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Head to head record trumps all until it doesn’t and Jackson is 0-2 vs Mahomes.
It’s not Patrick beating Lamar, they do not play against each other. It’s Reid beating Harbaugh that I put my weight behind. Coaching matters.
Man, you're all over the place...

But yes, I agree that coaching matters. I wrote out a whole diatribe on what a pud I think Andy Reid is, but it just sounded mean, so I deleted it. Short version, good coach, but I do not remotely trust him in any kind of critical situation. History isn't kind to him in this regard. His clock management skills feel like someone threw him a rubix cube and started playing the Jeopardy theme.