Official Weird News Thread

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
The car needs to be put on trial, televised around the world, found guilty and sentenced to death by car crusher.

When it's brothers and sisters see that, only then will the true revolt start.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Supposedly she was not in a designated crossing, just jaywalking at night. If you watch the video, the driver wouldn't have had much time to react (although it's shitty she couldn't be bothered to pay attention). However, ANY attempt to brake, swerve, or both might have saved the moron's life. There's plenty of blame to go around.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Call me a control freak, but I don't ride that comfortably when there is another human at the wheel, much less largely untested electronics. I'd be scared to death it was going to run me off an overpass or something.

The "driver" looks as smart as she does thin. The tech will get the blame, but clearly she wasn't doing her oversight job, and any consequences of that are clearly on her. However, I suspect everyone involved will get by with a wrist-slap because the victim is partially to blame, and frankly, the rules governing the tech aren't good. Plus, the victim was a nobody. Had she been an attractive blonde co-ed with a bright future, the outrage would be far greater.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The road certainly was not marked for crossing.

I'm like you, nacho. I don't feel at ease when someone else is driving. I KNOW that I am looking out for potential dangers far ahead. I do NOT know if someone else is.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Try dealing with that in a foreign country with entirely different driving customs and driver training, where people are driving on the other side of the road and at higher than US comfortable speeds. Sometimes the transpo to and from locations on the ground is the most stressful part of my travel. Not that I would know better how to drive there, it's just the being out of the control of the vehicle.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Dear lord, I hate being a passenger in a foreign country. My best friend got married on St Lucia a few years back, and taking a "taxi" (nice SUV) from the airport to the hotel was white-knuckle time. The roads are SOOOO narrow, and most are built on the side of a cliff w/o railing. There were multiple times I was certain my children were about to be orphans.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
We always played a reverse form of “shotgun” where the loser had to take the front seat in Delhi. I don’t even know why they have traffic lights or how they decide the pecking order of who goes next out of the 20 cars and scooters on the line. Being in a car from a 5 Star hotel seemed to give us priority, but they were just shitty white things and I don’t know how cars across the intersection knew to stop for us.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, New Delhi travel felt like you were just navigating a flowing, stinking, smoke belching, honking river of every kind of vehicle you could possibly jam into a 3 lane thoroughfare. Ugh, nearly 20 years later, even thinking about it still brings back a hint of the nausea... worst I've ever been sick OCONUS. Learned a few things since then. #1. Don't let your guard down/get careless with your intake in India (applies to a number of other countries as well)...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Dear lord, I hate being a passenger in a foreign country. My best friend got married on St Lucia a few years back, and taking a "taxi" (nice SUV) from the airport to the hotel was white-knuckle time. The roads are SOOOO narrow, and most are built on the side of a cliff w/o railing. There were multiple times I was certain my children were about to be orphans.
So funny. When I was typing my comment I was thinking of the bus ride on the narrow road on the side of a mountain without railing ON ST. LUCIA! We stopped there on a cruise and that was the most terrifying experience I've ever had in a car.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Sounds like the ride up to Machu Pichu. You ride on a mini bus on heavily sloped one lane dirt road (that have obviously been washed out and reconstructed) with numerous cutbacks with sheer cliffs, no guardrails and only enough space to pass the buses coming down at the one wider spot. I was so white knuckled that the guy I was traveling with gave me crap for the rest of the day. Strangely, the trip down was less traumatic for me than going up.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
So funny. When I was typing my comment I was thinking of the bus ride on the narrow road on the side of a mountain without railing ON ST. LUCIA! We stopped there on a cruise and that was the most terrifying experience I've ever had in a car.
Fortunately for us, they didn't drive crazy like they do in Mexico (those bastards are nuts). They were reasonably sane drivers on St Lucia, but that didn't alter the sheer panic of the death-cliffs the entire journey. The whole time you're just thinking "One slip, one twitch, one faulty tire, one big pebble, one oncoming driver misjudging an inch or two... and it's all over."

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Exactly. It's the equivalent of a deer in the road which they tell you is safer to just hit than trying to avoid. It's safer. So what do you do when it's some idiot jaywalking? Does the advice change? Try to avoid and put others lives at risk?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I saw that headline earlier. I wonder if they discourage the phrase "fuck you", as that would be running through my head.

I've been watching too much Ray Donovan, as my first reaction was that this could be fixed by calmly taking the baseball bat out of the trunk and "explaining" it to these people. I also, for the first time in my life, suddenly have the urge to daily drive a mercedes sedan and wear a sport coat. Stupid tv.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I laugh at the people who think we can turn this ship around. We might be able to slow it down occasionally, but it WILL get to its destination.
I don't think it's a linear progression, but rather a pendulum. It's swinging toward one extreme, and at some point it'll apex and come back toward center. The american spirit will not be smothered by this crap. At some point, the perpetually-offended and PC police will simply be ignored. I'm pretty sure the election taught us that. We certainly didn't vote for him because of his qualifications or intelligence.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Yeah, I don't know anymore.

I think the internet was a mistake.

I am sure stuff like this, and other things happened, but we all didn't know about it, or need to know about it. Now we ALL KNOW EVERYTHING so as a consequence we all know nothing.
That's like saying cars were a mistake because now we have too many places to go. The problem is that people don't have filters for the stuff coming in, or the stuff going out. We will adapt. The people that can't will die young from being stressed all the time. The rest of us will learn to sip from the fire hose.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The sex slave/human trafficking/organ harvesting/human sacrificing rabbit hole is depressingly deep. And the high level celebs, politicians and just general VIPs involved in it...Allison Mack is only scratching the surface.